Approved Stop suggesting SpA evs with Photon Geyser

Geysers

not round
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This one’s pretty straightforward — Every time I put Photon Geyser on a physical set, the recommended spread has a -def or -spdef nature with 4 spa evs, which is really suboptimal and necessitates taking extra time to fix the spread. I’d greatly appreciate it if there were just a check to see if the other non-photon geyser moves are either status or physical, and if they are, then recommending a full physical spread with -SpA. It’s hard to count just how many times I’ve accidentally gone into battle with a Necrozma eved wrong because of this. Thanks!

An easier way to get around this is to NOT always click on the recommended spread....because said spreads aren't always the best one. Besides isn't Photon Geyser naturally a special attack?
It's a special attack for the purposes of Z and Max moves. That's it. If it were a physical move by default, it would not change the way it's used in the slightest, because its category just gets overwritten with your highest stat anyway.

The recommended spreads aren't always optimal, but they're easy and fast to put in (and usually are close to optimal for offensive mons). There is absolutely no reason why Photon Geyser should be treated as a special attack by the spread recommendation. It just wastes the time of anyone who uses physical Necrozma.

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Come on now this is a non issue, masterball200 said it all. This is just one example among many where the suggested spread is not an optimal one. Almost all special/physical attackers running one coverage move of the opposing have the same problem, or like a special attacking defensive mon using Knock Off. Don't trust the suggested spread especially if you know beforehand that there's gonna be a problem. If someone has enough time to waste on this fix, why not, but it really doesn't feel worth investing time into the fix, as it can be fixed by just being cautious on the builder anw.

Come on now this is a non issue, masterball200 said it all. This is just one example among many where the suggested spread is not an optimal one. Almost all special/physical attackers running one coverage move of the opposing have the same problem, or like a special attacking defensive mon using Knock Off. Don't trust the suggested spread especially if you know beforehand that there's gonna be a problem. If someone has enough time to waste on this fix, why not, but it really doesn't feel worth investing time into the fix, as it can be fixed by just being cautious on the builder anw.
Most mixed attackers I can think of (Grass Knot Zeraora, DD Dragapult, pre-gen-8 Kyurem-Black) do actually want to use a -def/spd nature though, and I have no idea how you'd go about detecting pure utility Knock Off (doesn't need to be defensive; Mega Alakazam used to use it too). The only time Photon Geyser would ever not unambiguously be one category or another in the builder is if Necrozma was using some gimmicky Calm Mind + Swords Dance set designed to switch category mid-battle.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Even if recommended spreads aren't always optimal, and not blindly clicking them is good, I see little reason not to support what is hopefully a quick, objective fix. If fire blast counted as a physical attack, would we fix that? Yes, even though you could fix it by being careful about recommended spreads.

Geysers

not round
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I’m bumping this in the hopes that it gets some attention because this problem is still quite irritating for ag building as it leads to dusk mane / ultra necrozma with a -def / -spdef nature and 4 spa ivs, both of which hurt it, and it doesn’t appear to have been fixed yet.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I’m bumping this in the hopes that it gets some attention because this problem is still quite irritating for ag building as it leads to dusk mane / ultra necrozma with a -def / -spdef nature and 4 spa ivs, both of which hurt it, and it doesn’t appear to have been fixed yet.
I can't reproduce this any more since this change; can you give an example that's still not working?
1621462228064.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)