Strangest Pokédex Entries

This relates a bit too the other threads floating around, like the "are you sure this is a kids game" thread, but I think it deserves it's own, thanks to the bounty of odd Pokédex entries.

I'll begin with a few that I personally find...disturbing.

Black 2/White 2: "A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit."

Black 2/White 2: "The spirits burned up in its ominous flame lose their way and wander this world forever."

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Yay my thread got a cameo! ~~~

No though, well I don't know if any of you watch youtube but the jwittz pretty much says what this thread will, he has 3 videos on it. Just letting you know! ;)
Either way, the grim reaper and his family of chandeliers mentioned in the OP is one of my favorite, as well as this pokemon, it has loads of weird entries:

Sappire: If a traveler is going through a desert in the thick of night, Cacturne will follow in a ragtag group. The Pokémon are biding their time, waiting for the traveler to tire and become incapable of moving.

Wut. What does it do to the tired travelers!? I mentioned it on my own thread, but it is pretty creepy.

Emerald: After spending thousands of years in harsh deserts, its blood transformed into the same substances as sand. It is nocturnal, so it hunts at night.

The last bit is fine... but its blood transformed into sand!? How!? It is not physically possible, I mean, if the entry said "it has sand instead of blood" then its just like "hmm.. weird but hey, its pokemon!". Of course no, instead its blood TRANSFORMED into sand. It just makes no sense. Also surely that would be painful? Having sand get into the blood stream so much that instead of living you just stand there with sand rushing through you, rubbing against your skin.

And then HG and SS did the same as sapphire: Packs of them follow travelers through the desert until the travelers can no longer move.

Kabutops almost always has some kind of horrifying Pokedex entry:

Yellow- "A slim and fast swimmer. It slices its prey with its sharp sickles and drinks the body fluids."

Silver- "With sharp claws, this ferocious, ancient Pokémon rips apart prey and sucks their body fluids."

Diamond/Pearl- "It is thought that this Pokémon came onto land because its prey adapted to life on land."

...my god

Ruby: Spoink bounces around on its tail. The shock of its bouncing makes its heart pump. As a result, this Pokémon cannot afford to stop bouncing - if it stops, its heart will stop.
FR/LG: It apparently dies if it stops bouncing about. It carries a pearl from Clamperl on its head
B2/W2: Using its tail like a spring, it keeps its heart beating by bouncing constantly. If it stops, it dies

So don't think about what happens when you "faint" it.

White: Using their very hot, flame-covered tongues, they burn through Durant's steel bodies and consume their insides.
B2/W2: It draws in air through its tail, transforms it into fire, and uses it like a tongue. It melts Durant and eats them.

This one isn't particularly disturbing, but something about Pokemon eating other Pokemon has always bothered me. Plus, those descriptions are pretty graphic.

Sapphire:
Although Gorebyss is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this Pokémon inserts its thin mouth into the prey's body and drains the prey of its body fluids.

Several: A host-parasite pair in which the parasite mushroom has taken over the host bug. Prefers damp places.
Yellow: The bug host is drained of energy by the mushrooms on its back. They appear to do all the thinking.

That's actually surprisingly common in real life, but still.....

Oh yeah, on the subject of drinking bodily fluids...

Black 2/White 2: "Despite its looks, it is aggressive. It jabs with its long, thin mouth if disturbed while collecting pollen."

Pearl: "When flower fields bloom, it flits around, collecting pollen. Despite its appearance, it is savage."

It's so sweet in the anime...what did you do, Game Freak?

This Emerald entry for Kadabra always confused me:

It is rumored that a boy with psychic abilities suddenly transformed into Kadabra while he was assisting research into extrasensory powers.

How can there be more than one Kadabra if it was human once, a single boy?

Yeah sure, he could have mated with a Ditto or a poke in his egg group since then, but I dont see how the population of this species could have boomed in such a short time, and spread across the pokemon world.

It just doesn't make sense.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I swear there was a pokedex entry saying that kadabra is a boy that had randomly woken up as one as well.
Maybe there were many boys with psychic powers and they all turned into kadabra, oh, and girls with psychic powers.
Either that or the boys got a startling sex change.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Or the player character (you) just fills in the dex entries with whatever he likes. After all, stuff like size and weight is way off already, so it would make sense if the descriptions too were made up of stuff the player has seen or heard about the Pokémon.

That, or the dex simply recites a popular old wive's tale.

IF psychic powers eventually turn you into a Kadabra then that must be the next evolutionary step for mankind in the pokemon world lol.
Which kind of makes it unethical to store it in a Pokeball. but then again you can store God in one so...

This Emerald entry for Kadabra always confused me:

It is rumored that a boy with psychic abilities suddenly transformed into Kadabra while he was assisting research into extrasensory powers.

How can there be more than one Kadabra if it was human once, a single boy?

Yeah sure, he could have mated with a Ditto or a poke in his egg group since then, but I dont see how the population of this species could have boomed in such a short time, and spread across the pokemon world.

It just doesn't make sense.
It doesn't say when the boy transformed into Kadabra, nor when the species became so populous as to find them hangin' out in Kanto...

He could've turned into Kadabra 2 years before R/B or 200 years.

I always found it strange how Charizard is so short. Due to the anime's portrayal of it, I thought it was going to be a towering monster, but it turns out it's only 5'7" ._.

On the topic of really creepy pokedex entries:

Black / White - These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life. Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

Not only were they once human, they keep their face to. Imaging walking across a Yamsk with your grandma's face and you have to beat it up to win. Uhg. Not only that, but it remembers its life as a human, they cry when they look at their face. There is so much wrong with this...

Ruby - Banette generates energy for laying strong curses by sticking pins into its own body. This Pokémon was originally a pitiful plush doll that was thrown away. It seeks the child that disowned it.

Anyone who has lost its doll: It will come back to haunt you and kill you, because it is very, very cross with you. As you threw it away, it will seek revenge for your foolish deed and make you regret it. Not only is it your doll that came to life, it also punishes itself by sticking needles into its body.

Oh, and this: Sapphire - The Pokémon's energy would escape if it were to ever open its mouth.

If it ever opens its mouth, it is dead. Anyone saying screech (or curse) here? Yeah, it just died upon using that move.

I will stop for now.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Black Pokedex said:
They use hypnosis to control people and Pokémon. Tales of Gothorita leading people astray are told in every corner.
BW2 Pokedex said:
According to many old tales, it creates friends for itself by controlling sleeping children on starry nights.

This one is just full of creepiness...

Black Pokedex said:
This ominous Pokémon is feared. Through cities it wanders, searching for the spirits of the fallen.
White Pokedex said:
It arrives near the moment of death and steals spirit from the body.
BW2 Pokedex said:
The spirits it absorbs fuel its baleful fire. It hangs around hospitals waiting for people to pass on.
And also, the implications of one of its Anime dex descriptions.

Lampent, the Lamp Pokémon. Lampent moves around by floating through the air. Most often found in the deep forest, they now can be seen living in cities as well.

Zweilous

Black: After it has eaten up all the food in its territory, it moves to another area. Its two heads do not get along.

White: Since their two heads do not get along and compete with each other for food, they always eat too much.

B2/W2: The two heads do not get along. Whichever head eats more than the other gets to be the leader.

Hydreigon

White: The heads on their arms do not have brains. They use all three heads to consume and destroy everything.

Is it weird to have 2 separate heads with their own motives and will and then when it evolves one of the heads apparently loses their brains? Worse still, the B2/W2 pokedex entry of Zweilous implies that the reason they compete so much is to decide who becomes the main head of Hydreigon and the other loses everything.

Hydreigon

White: The heads on their arms do not have brains. They use all three heads to consume and destroy everything.

Is it weird to have 2 separate heads with their own motives and will and then when it evolves one of the heads apparently loses their brains? Worse still, the B2/W2 pokedex entry of Zweilous implies that the reason they compete so much is to decide who becomes the main head of Hydreigon and the other loses everything.
There's theories that suggest the two brains fuse together making one large brain.

"It freezes prey by blowing its -58 degree F breath. It is said to then secretly display its prey."

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion

Black 2/White 2: "A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit."
Its hilarious because in-game, the crack in the back is all you see. So we lose our spirits if we use Shedinja xD.

Xatu
Ruby: "Xatu stands rooted and still in one spot all day long. People believe that this Pokémon does so out of fear of the terrible things it has foreseen in the future."
So Xatu's not so much meditating as it's frozen in sheer terror of horrific events yet to come. Therapy is a standard part of this 'mons training.

Machoke
Yellow: "The belt around its waist holds back its energy. Without it, this Pokémon would be unstoppable."
Stadium: "Although it is incredibly strong, it is always modest. It restrains its strength with a power-save belt."
Machoke's belt isn't just for keeping its speedo up, it's also a power limiter to make sure it doesn't completely destroy everything it fights. I mean, there has to be some challenge, right?

Tyranitar
Crystal: "In just one of its mighty hands, it has the power to make the ground shake and mountains crumble."
DPPt: "If it rampages, it knocks down mountains and buries rivers. Maps must be redrawn afterward."
HeartGold: "Its body can't be harmed by any sort of attack, so it is very eager to make challenges against enemies."
So not only is Tyranitar invincible, but it can knock down entire mountains with just one hand and cause environmental destruction to such a scale that region maps need to redone every time one of them loses their temper. I dunno why Team Rocket wastes their time capturing and subjugating so many 'mons when they could just get a small group of these things to level an entire region.

Tyranitar
So not only is Tyranitar invincible, but it can knock down entire mountains with just one hand and cause environmental destruction to such a scale that region maps need to redone every time one of them loses their temper. I dunno why Team Rocket wastes their time capturing and subjugating so many 'mons when they could just get a small group of these things to level an entire region.
On the subject of a Pokémon destroying everything...

FireRed: It has an extremely aggressive nature. The Hyper Beam it shoots from its mouth totally incinerates all targets.
LeafGreen: Rarely seen in the wild. Huge and vicious, it is capable of destroying entire cities in a rage.
SoulSilver: Once it appears, it goes on a rampage. It remains enraged until it demolishes everything around it.

And remember, it was a serious concern to Lance in GSC/HGSS that the Gyarados at the Lake of Rage were going to go on a rampage and wreck shit. Either the Dex has everyone scared, or the second you piss a Gyarados off you've essentially doomed everyone close to it to death.

It's one of those Pokémon that would make you shit your pants in real life.

Gyarados has always been associated with hyper beam, but with 65 special attack an no STAB, it's hyper beam would be fairly underwhelming.

It was much more of a threat obviously when hyper beam still came off its 125 attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)