Strategy Analysis: Trick Room (DP)

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Trick Room: The Move

Trick Room, is a 5 PP Psychic attack that has the following affects:

-Trick Room, upon activation, lasts for the next 5 turns including the turn it was used.
-During Trick Room, the Pokemon who would have gone last normally will go first.
-Trick Room has the worst priority in the game. This move will go always go last, regardless of the speed of user, or the speed of the opponent.
-When using Trick Room during a Trick Room, the affects do not stack, the original Trick Room will be canceled and the normal rules of Pokemon will apply.

When D/P first came out, Trick Room was seen as little more than a gimmick, only to be used in fun teams and never in serious competitive play. After a while some people, including myself, tinkered with this under appreciated move and have done so with amazing results. This guide is an attempt to not only educate someone who's interested in creating a Trick Room team, but to show that Trick Room is a viable strategy that all teams should look out for when team building.

Trick Room: The Starters

Due to Trick Room only lasting for only 5 turns, you are definitely going to need to be prepared to renew the effects at one point or another during a battle. Because of this a Trick Room user almost HAS to be a tank/wall, in order to make repeated switch-ins and set up the move once again. Furthermore, it is likely that during the course of a battle, your Trick Roomer will die, because your entire team will operate much less effectively without Trick Room, it is important to pack at least two Trick Room users. It is also important to note that all viable Trick Room initiators are of the Psychic or Ghost type. Due to this, it is highly recommended that you:

A. Have at least one Dark and Ghost resist on your team.
B. Have at least one way to deal with Tyranitar/Weavile.
C. Do not use any sweepers who are also Psychic or Ghost, lest half or more of your team be weak to one type.

Now that we have defined how one should choose a Trick Room starter, let’s have a look at some of the best of the best.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Levitate
Sassy Nature (+Sp. Def,-Spd) *0 Spd IV
252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 6 Atk

Trick Room
Hypnosis
Gyro Ball
Earthquake

Bronzong is the premier Trick Roomer, and thus should be used on almost all Trick Room teams. (Exceptions include when one or more of your sweepers are weak to Fire) Its base stats coupled with its defensive typing allow it to take quite a few hits before dying. This allows it to perform Trick Room quite a few times. With a negative nature and a 0 Speed IV it falls to 63 speed, making it one of the slowest Pokemon in the game. Not only securing his going first during Trick Room, but making a Gyro Ball from it insanely devastating. This Pokemon can be a great lead, however one Pokemon totally shuts down his efforts. Taunt Gyarados, another common lead, will proceed to Taunt first turn, taking away your ability to set up the life blood of the team. Gyarados also laughs at any attempts to damage him, and while taking off Hypnosis or Earthquake for Charge Beam may seem like a good idea, it fails to even 3HKO a bulky Gyarados, and moving EVs is not an option due to the necessity to be able to take as many hits as possible. It's best to just accept the fact that Gyarados will beat Bronzong every time and move on. Even with this glaring weakness, few Pokemon can hope to replace Bronzong on a Trick Room team.

Solrock @ Focus Sash/Leftovers
Brave (+Atk,-Spd) *0 Spd IV
252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 Def

Trick Room
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Explosion

This Pokemon is meant to be the lead in a Trick Room team. The only time this Pokemon is not going to get either a kill, or a Trick Room off, is when it gets put to sleep. It deals with the Gyarados problem by 2HKO'ing regular Gyarados all of the time, and Bulky Gyarados about 75% of the time. This is assuming however that first turn the opponent will Taunt, hoping to turn Trick Room useless, instead of attacking. If he attacks, there is little that you can do save hoping for a critical hit. But in my experience, players will Taunt 9/10 times for fear that you will Trick Room, and then boom. The general strategy is to Trick Room on an attack that activates Focus Sash, and then use Explosion, hopefully both denting an opponent’s pokemon beyond repair, and getting a "free" switch in to one of your sweepers. Earthquake is mainly there for coverage as you obviously wouldn't want to boom on Steel/Rock pokemon.

Leftovers can be subbed in Focus Sash, but Solrock's 70/85/65 defenses aren't the best when compared to other Pokemon who acquire Trick Room, if you're not going to use the Trick Room -> Focus Sash -> Explosion combo, you might be better off using a different Pokemon for your Trick Rooming needs.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Relaxed (+Def,-Spd) *0 Spd IV for Ice Beam, 3 Spd IV for Hidden Power Electric
212 HP, 252 Def, 44 Sp. Atk

Trick Room
Slack Off
Surf
Ice Beam/Hidden Power [Electric]

Slowbro makes a great mid-game Trick Roomer. It has an edge over other Trick Room users because of its access to an instant recovery move, Slack Off. This allows long term survivability and thus repeated uses of Trick Room when needed. He also has a fairly decent Sp. Atk meaning it can benefit from its own Trick Room activations. These reasons make it a staple on my Trick Room teams.

Other Options

Jirachi/Dusknoir/Cresselia/Celebi/Hypno all have the chance to be great Trick Roomers, it all just depends on what your team needs. Jirachi is nice due to its wish support. Dusknoir and Cresselia get mentions due to being all around great walls that have access to Trick Room. Celebi can be made to use Heal Bell which is a great asset to a team full of sweepers who would prefer to remain healthy and status free, and lastly Hypno gets a honorable mention for being the only Trick Roomer who is immune to sleep, making its activation all but inevitable.

Counters

The main problem with Trick Roomers is the susceptibility to Taunt. A Pokemon who can take a decent amount of hits, while using Taunt, will generally shut down all Trick Roomers. However, teching certain moves for common taunters (Electric/Rock for Gyarados, Fighting/Steel/Ground for Tyranitar) can eliminate this weakness fairly effectively. Other than that, Trick Roomers will be able to set up for the rest of the team 9/10 times, barring sleep or being OHKO'd. But you wouldn't let that happen to one of your valuable Trick Roomers now would you?

Trick Room: The Receivers

The aim of a Trick Room team is to set up, switch to a pokemon with an obscene attack, and proceed to destroy as the opponent has no chance of going first, or hoping to wall your offensive behemoths. The main features that a receiver must have then, is a godly attack stat, or attacking move (see Relicanth with Head Smash) and a relatively low Speed stat. (I find base 90 to be my limit when thinking of pokemon who are "to fast" for Trick Room teams. This is because with max hindering they reach 166 speed, just slow enough to "outrun" neutral base 65 and above during Trick Room.) Also, unless I'm using glass cannon pokemon, such as Rampardos, I like my Receivers to be fairly bulky. Being able to take a hit or two in between Trick Room sessions is a definite plus. Other than these few guidelines any Pokemon really can be used during Trick Room, but a few come to mind when I think in terms of raw power.

Rhyperior @ Choice Band/ Life Orb
Solid Rock
Brave (+Atk,-Spd) *0 Spd IV
252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 Def

Stone Edge
Earthquake
Avalanche
Megahorn

This Pokemon hits like a ton of bricks, and during Trick Room it will be nigh impossible to take down. The coverage/power of this set is matched by none. The only thing that hurts it is the inclusion of Choice Band. You will need to pick your move extremely well, almost to the verge of telepathic insight of your opponent’s moves lest you get walled. This is why the Life Orb is always an option, however it lacks the power to 2HKO the most common physical walls like Skarmory/Donphan/Gliscor/Foretress. The only one absent from that list is Hippowdon, however if you can Knock Off his leftovers, you get about a 25% chance to 2HKO which is very nice. The decision is obviously up to how good you perceive your skills, as the Choice Band gives the better payoff when used correctly. Also remember that Avalanche has a negative priority and will not be faster during Trick Room.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Quiet (+Sp.Atk,-Spd) *2 Spd IV for Hidden Power [Ice], 3 for [Grass]
252 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 6 Sp.Def

Thunderbolt
Hidden Power [Ice]/[Grass]
Substitute
Magnet Rise

Choosing a Special based Pokemon for Trick Room can be a hard thing to do, this is mainly due to the fact that most of the best Special attackers are at or above that “too fast” line I established earlier. However, Magnezone is a great candidate for a Special slot on your team. His base 130 Sp.Atk is nothing to scoff at and his pseudo boltbeam is good for coverage. Plus, during Trick Room one of his main counters, Dugtrio, can’t call himself a counter anymore due to the inclusion of Magnet Rise. It's also a great addition due to his Steel killing expertise, If a pesky steel type is in the way of a Rhyperior sweep, take him out with this guy. Trick Room also makes him able to reliably kill off Metagross’s regardless of their Speed investments because Earthquake is no longer a threat.

Camerupt @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
Solid Rock
Quiet (+Sp.Atk,-Spd) *2 Spd IV for Hidden Power Ice

160 HP, 96 Atk, 252 Sp.Atk for Choice Specs
252 HP, 252 Sp.Atk 6 Sp.Def for Life Orb

Eruption/Fire Blast
Earth Power
Hidden Power [Ice]
Explosion

Camerupt is an absolute beast during Trick Room. His Eruption will do massive amounts of damage to anyone not resisting it, and Ground/Ice is a pretty great attacking combonation. Only resisted by a levitating Steels and Shedinja, who all happen to be weak to his STAB Fire moves. When using the Life Orb set, it is unneccesary to invest any Attack EV's because 216 is the minimum Attack stat needed to OHKO Blissey with Explosion, and Camerupt's unboosted Attack reaches 236. Also, when using the Life Orb set, Fire Blast is recommended over Eruption because it seems rather antithetical to damage yourself while using a move that requires your health to be high in order to be effective. As long as you keep his health up, Camerupt is guarenteed to bring some havoc to your opponent's team.

Hariyama @ Leftovers
Thick Fat
Relaxed(+Def,-Spd)
76 HP, 180 Atk, 252 Def

Cross Chop
Stone Edge
Knock Off
Ice Punch

Hariyama is a great addition to a Trick Room team. Not only does his low speed benefit from Trick Room, but he fits a very specific purpose. He is resistant to Dark. This alone makes him (and his friend Machamp who also shares his slow speed) very valuable to any Trick Room team. Also this specific Hariyama has very good synergy with Rhyperior, Knocking Off any pesky Leftovers on Physical walls, further solidifying the 2HKO. Just remember: DON’T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT A DARK RESIST.

*you could also choose a Sleep Talk set, this is nice with Trick Room teams due to the weakness Trick Room users have to sleep.

Other Options

As I said, anything goes really. I myself have tinkered with a lot of things. Ampharos with Tbolt/HP Ice/Focus Punch/Sub does quite nicely. Also Relicanth makes a great Trick Room sweeper with Headsmash/Double-Edge/Aqua Tail/Earthquake 2HKO'ing a lot of the common walls, much like Rampardos. Clamperl/Marowak/Rampardos are nice for their insane attack stats, as well as their slow speed. The problem with these three is that they are pretty fragile and aren’t going to last more than one or two Trick Room sessions.

The main thing is to be creative, the more creative you are, the less effectively your opponent can read your moves. And when your actions are pretty predictable, surprise can be one of your greatest assets.

Countering Trick Room

Choosing specific Pokemon who can counter Trick Room as a whole is all but impossible. However, by using certain strategies, and using walls with certain moves can make your team more Trick Room ready. It is important to have atleast 2 of these moves on your team because a team ill prepared for Trick Room WILL get swept every time.

-Taunt

This move will stop Pokemon from starting the Trick Room in the First Place. However, many Trick Roomers carry attacks meant to counter common taunters. This can make taunting less than effective.

Possible taunters include Gyarados/Tyranitar

-Substitute

Switching into a Trick Roomer when it sets up, and subbing on the switch to a sweeper, then continuing to sub each turn until Trick Room runs out is a very effective strategy for dealing with Trick Room receivers. However, you have to sacrifice 75% of your health or risk getting OHKO’d when you have no substitute if you opt to attack and fail to OHKO the receiver. Overall though, it’s very effective at countering Trick Room.

-Protect

The downfall of Trick Room comes from the limited amount of turns in which sweepers have the ability to do their jobs. Protect turns a 5 turn “sweepfest” into a single attack. (Assuming you protect on turn 3 of Trick Room, after the sweeper has switched in.)

-Roar/Whirlwind

Due to Trick Room being the slowest move in the game, Trick Roomers unfortunately will be scared/blown away before they get a chance to set up the move. This counter is guaranteed to work every time and is very effective at countering Trick Roomers. Also, using these moves on the switch to their sweeper can net you a lucky switch back to a Trick Roomer, all but ending an entire Trick Room session and setting their team back 2/3 turns.

-Priority Moves

Even though the majority of Trick Room receivers are pretty bulky, some common ones like Rhyperior and Magnezone won’t like being on the receiving end of a Choice Specs Vacuum Wave from Lucario. These will obviously be useful in keeping a weakened Trick Room beneficiary from completing a sweep as well.

-Stall Teams

Stall teams in general will have a fairly easy time taking you on, mainly because they are geared towards taking lots of damage anyway. Plus all the switching necessary when playing a Trick Room team will cause a ton of secondary damage that your Pokemon won't like. There really isn't much of anything you can do in this type of situation. It becomes a matter of whether or not you can take out one of their key stallers and exploit the new weakness. Work fast because the longer the battle wages on, the more the tides will shift to the stall team's advantage.

Trick Room: Summary

Trick Room teams are very fun to use due to the sheer number of Pokemon available for use when speed isn’t an issue. However because of the predictability of your actions (1st turn Trick Room, 2nd turn switch, 3rd-5th sweep, 6th Repeat) It takes quite a bit of skill to play well. Half the battle comes before the match with teambuilding as your team will have to play differently and have a lot of options depending on how the opponent reacts. Even with the downfalls of Trick Room, it is definitely not a gimmick and certainly is standard worthy, even if it takes a bit of skill to play. I hope this guide has inspired you to take a diversion from the norm, and venture to the tricky side of things.

i think that porygon 2 should be worth a mention since it gets access to recoveryalso, some people exlpode something to get a free switch in to a glass cannon slike cammerupt so it can get a clean eruption
i also think that swamperts worth a mention due toward its bulkiness and come come in after trick room is set up pretty easily, only problem is it doesnt have much raw power

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In my experience, Porygon 2 doesn't have quite the survivabilty to successfully make repeated switch-ins, however I suppose he has the added benifit of being Immune to Ghost, and neutral to Dark unlike other TR users. I really don't like using Swampert in Trick Room mainly because he isn't as strong as other options, you are really better off using other pokemon with similar movesets.

you did however cover one major point, you do generally want bulky pokemon in trick room. which is good

other things...
hmm i think status inducers are good (mentioned with bronzong) because they can incapacitate pokemon allowing your supporter for a free setup

Whats your view on curseing? i think that its almost a waste of a turn but some things can break the threshold of OHKing and 2HkOing.

though, it was time that someone made one of these

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
I'm not exactly against cursing, but I generally think that turn is better used in attacking. As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to use Trick Room if you're just going to Curse the 3 turns available to you.

Also, If you're in the mood for some status with your Trick Room, Dusknoir is good for that, and someone could make use of Gallede, but as I said in the Guide, even 80 Speed is almost pushing the "too fast" barrier.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol Spiritomb isn't a weaker Dusknoir. The lack of a Pursuit weakness alone is massive. It also stops non-CB Lucario tons better than Dusknoir, and takes on Azelf much better with that Psychic immunity.

You should mention that stall teams in general stop Trick Room teams. Stallers are used to being slower and just taking the attacks, so Trick Room won't really phase them. However, Trick Room does nicely against offensive teams (as you mentioned) and the rare BP team.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
Edited in the part about stall teams. I've seen that stall teams can take on this strategy pretty well, but sheesh, what teams don't fall to a well made stall team?

You know, I once swept a Trick Room team with my own Spiritomb. Spiritomb boasts one of the "fastest" sleep moves in Trick Room in Hypnosis, and unlike Bronzong, it can actually hit stuff hard afterwards with the "irresistable" Shadow Ball/HP Fighting combo--though it may actually require Nasty Plot setup, first. (310 Special Attack max IIRC is "respectable," at best.) It may not be viable within a Trick Room team itself, but I believe it should be considered as a particular counter.

Might wanna mention Camerupt for something like a base 40 speed and SpecsEruption, or Octillery with a massive movepool (Water/Bug/Rock/Electric/Ice/Fire/Ghost/Psychic ect) and great attacking stats.

You mentioned Rampardos and Relicanth in passing, but they're not in the main list of Trick Room sweepers? :(

That Solrock set should at least have Leftovers as an option, no set not specifically aimed around Counter or Endeavor or something should have Focus Sash as its sole option.

Your Counters section isn't a Counters section, because to be a counter to something you must be able to switch in and live (repeatedly) and pose a threat. Switching in a Substitute or Taunt user when Bronzong uses Trick Room does help.

Also, needs consistency in this regard:

It's a 5 PP attack that only lasts for 5 turns
Due to Trick Room only lasting for only 4 turns
Protect turns a 3 turn “sweepfest” into a single attack.
I understand why, but newer players will be confused. How long Trick Room exactly and effectively works should be mentioned in one section.

When analyzing a move like this, I prefer to start with a mechanical introduction - PP/power/exact effect. This removes the need to do it later, and allows you to continue with the pure strategic business. I recommend splitting up your introduction into that mechanical section and a strategical intro ("first no one thought it was worth a damn but then etc").

I also found a to -> too typo somewhere but forgot where, and some unneeded capitalization.

Note that it's pretty vital to have more than one Trick Roomer on your team. Also note that Trick Rooming when Trick Room is in effect turns the sequence to normal.

Avalanche should be over Hammer Arm on Rhyperior. He's definitely more scared of Breloom and Flygon than he is of having to use "just" his STAB SE attack instead of a 4x SE attack against Tyranitar.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
@ Mekkah

I fixed the Introduction and made it read a little better for beginners to D/P, and also eliminated those three instances where I contradicted myself on how long it lasted.

Added Leftovers to Solrock, and synopsis.

Added Avalanche to Rhyperior

Added Relicanth/Rampardos to the Other Options, but for the time being will not give synopsis due to being essentially the same idea as Rhyperior. (Strong Rock type with ability to 2HKO common walls, therefor hitting everything in the game really hard with Choice Band attacks.)

Added full Camerupt Synopsis

Fixed gramatical errors, the only thing I was wondering was if the word Pokemon is supposed to be capitalized, if not then I need to make one more edit.

I'm not going to change my "Counters to Trick Room" section because in all reality, attempting to assign the job of countering an entire team of Trick Room users to one or two pokemon is all but impossible. However those moves are "counters" in that they make the strategy as a whole much less effective. Unless you can convince me of certain pokemon that completely shut down the strategy as a whole, I'm leaving it as is. However, I'm open to retitling it if you're unhappy calling it a counters section.

Mesprit definitely deserves a mention. It, along with Uxie, Mr. Mime, Solrock and Lunatone are some of the very few Pokemon that can learn Trick Room as well as U-Turn / Baton Pass. Being able to get in a counter on a switch is a great asset in Trick Room due to always being on a timer, but more importantly it's how you get in Pokemon such as Camerupt (w/out losing HP for Eruption), Clamperal and Trapinch, who both can't take a hit.

Shuppet surprisingly enough also works great as a lead, with a simple Trick Room + Focus Sash, then Destiny Bond to get in a sweeper. Like this.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I believe Trapinch can reach 22 Speed, and with 100 base attack and Arena Trap it's a great revenge killer for Trick Room teams

Unless you can convince me of certain pokemon that completely shut down the strategy as a whole, I'm leaving it as is. However, I'm open to retitling it if you're unhappy calling it a counters section.
Jumpman will lynch you if you call something a counter when it isn't a counter, so if you're not willing to change the writing you should change the name.

Generally the counter to Trick Room is the counter to to the sweepers used in it, but that obviously differs per Pokemon. A counter to Rhyperior in a Trick Room team would be Bronzong, a counter to Camerupt in a Trick Room team would be about any Water, etc.

Trapinch also has access to Quick Attack, making it a very viable revenge killer (w/ arena trap).

Also, I think it may be beneficial to separate the Trick Room Enablers into two categories. Those that use Trick Room + Explosion/Self Destruct/Destiny Bond and those that can set up Trick Room multiple times. Shuppet and Solrock being the former and Slowbro, Dusknoir and Mespirit being the later. Brozong is odd in that it can do both. Solrock and Lunatone is the same way in the UU environments where their defenses are much more reasonable.

Both play very differently and have their own advantages and disadvantages.

The suicidal trick room enablers guarantee a one time free switch in. This is very valuable to your glass cannons like Marowak and Clamperl and is probably your best way to get them in. It is also useful for Eruption Camerupt or Water Sprout Wailord. It also has an added benefit of not wasting a turn and of at least severely damaging one opposing pokemon. Explosion can also take out a very valuable cog in stall teams.

The other trick roomers are obviously tanks/walls and as a result can set up a trick room multiple times. Useful for longer drawn out matches, most notably the stall teams. Unfortunately, they may waste a valuable turn if they are forced to switch out one of your study attackers. This fact can be rectified by pokemon that have access to U-turn / Baton Pass as you can use these move to scout your opponents move and provide a free switch if your opponents switches as well.

As a result, Mespirt makes an excellent Trick Roomer as it can counter Gyarados and Garchomp (and Infernape if you run Psychic) while being able to trick room and has access to U-Turn for scouting. Its one of the few Trick Room Enablers that can scare Gyarados.

I would also like to recommend Snorlax, as it is immune to ghost and neutral to dark; while also being very sturdy itself.

Also Lunatone deserves a mention as it has access to Explosion, Baton Pass, Trick Room and Hypnosis. It can put to sleep slower pokemon then use Trick Room, or use Trick Room then put to sleep the now slower pokemon. Either way, it will probably provide a free switch in with Baton Pass.

I have a question.In Bl/UU,could Xatu be a decent trick roomer?

It has Wish,Trick Room(DUH),U-turn,Thunder Wave,Sucker Punch,Roost,Night Shade,Haze,Baton Pass,Calm Mind, and Quick Attack.

Notice how it has access to both Baton Pass and U-turn,plus Wish,Sucker Punch,Calm Mind,Thunder Wave,and Roost.

It sounds like a pretty good Trick Roomer,but it has base 70 defense and special defense,and 65 base hp.

It should also be noted that Banette is also an excellent Trick Room user since Shuppet may be too obivious. It has Insomnia, meaning no spore, no Fake Out because he is ghost, only thing that stops it is Taunt, but it doesn't matter since they see Banette and probably laugh and attack it instead, while Sash holds me on and I pull off Trick Room.

Crawdaunt, Azumarril are great candidates on the receiving end of Trick Room. Ironicly, Azumarril will slaughter Camerupt good with Aqua Jet as one of its counters.

In doubles, Trick Room is even more deadly since Explosion gives it even more edge than ever. Follow Me "guarantees" Trick Room going off successfully.

Can someone suggest something UU/BL to me that I can use for my Trick Room team (UU)? I've been using Camerupt and kept getting pwned by Azumarril with Aqua Jet, my other hitter is doing wonderfully well (Crawdaunt).

maybe quiet slowking with 252sp atk, 252 sp def, and 6 def would be another good choice, since its slow, high sp atk, can learn trick room and use nasty plot, it would make a good compliment for a trick room team

I ran a pretty successful TR team for several months with Uxie as my main trick roomer...

Yawn/TR/U-Turn/Filler...

I'd stick a Chesto berry on him...Trick Room first, yawn, then u-turn to appropriate counter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)