Serious Studying Internationally

Trap

Banned deucer.
Hi I'm Trap

Many people here do not know me but I play RU and mainly stick to ladder. In August I will be moving from Jakarta (Indonesia) to study my first year of university in the United States. Any tips would be appreciated as I am just trying to prepare before orientation (July) and the start of the semester (August). I have visited USA before but that was New York and I will attend University in the south. How different are New York to south? Is it hard to fit in? Did you try hard to acclimate? Is USA as bad as all the news make it out to be with Trump?

I was wondering how others in my same position like it and any more advice I did not mention in my questions. Thanks!

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi I'm Trap

Many people here do not know me but I play RU and mainly stick to ladder. In August I will be moving from Jakarta (Indonesia) to study my first year of university in the United States. Any tips would be appreciated as I am just trying to prepare before orientation (July) and the start of the semester (August). I have visited USA before but that was New York and I will attend University in the south. How different are New York to south? Is it hard to fit in? Did you try hard to acclimate? Is USA as bad as all the news make it out to be with Trump?

I was wondering how others in my same position like it and any more advice I did not mention in my questions. Thanks!
Every region has its own culture. I will say that coming from jakarta you need to be prepared for a LOT less people. Nyc is basically the most dense city in the usa and it doesn't hold a candle to Asian megaplexes.

However most cities are basically the same with minor differences. What school are you attending? The size of it / state it's in will play a large factor in that "culture"

Trap

Banned deucer.
Every region has its own culture. I will say that coming from jakarta you need to be prepared for a LOT less people. Nyc is basically the most dense city in the usa and it doesn't hold a candle to Asian megaplexes.

However most cities are basically the same with minor differences. What school are you attending? The size of it / state it's in will play a large factor in that "culture"
Ill be attending Texas A&M in College Station, Texas. Curious to know if you're familiar with the school or that area of the south?

Ill be attending Texas A&M in College Station, Texas. Curious to know if you're familiar with the school or that area of the south?
I live a few hours away from it, and the college itself is decent. I, of course, haven’t attended, but the campus is decent and the food scene is more diverse than one would think Texas is. I don’t go very much (once a year), so I wouldn’t be the best person to discuss it. My one piece of advice is to realize that Texas isn’t as “redneck” as others might think, and we have some decent cultural options. (Nothing as good as Houston, though.)

Edit to address other points: As Gato said, there’s a lot less people in A+M, but Houston/Austin/Dallas are relatively diverse and have decent amounts of people, as long as you are willing to make the drive out. I suppose most people in that area will be pro-Trump, so I advise keeping more neutral about what you say to some of the more extreme people. (Sorry for bad post writing.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)