Sub-Disable Haunter > All

I can't think of any good name for this team. This team isn't even based on Haunter, although it works really well. This team is more or less standard but works pretty well.

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Obviously my designated physical attacker. It often boils down to "Look at the opponent's entire team, click the appropriate move for the situation, and watch things take massive amounts of damage." (Kudos if you get the reference). Since this thing has enough power already, Jolly is to outspeed as many things as possible. The only thing I would change is to Adamant Scarf if I notice that I get outsped too much in crucial situations.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald

277 HP Wishes are nice, huh? First 3 moves are obligatory. I know that Alo has slightly higher Attack and I'm running dual status in a way, but the last move is mainly for it to not be Taunt bait. Plus, there are several situations in which a burn would be way better than Toxic poison. This thing isn't designed to do direct damage - even Waterfalls don't do much - plus there are lots of things with massive physical defenses and poor special defenses, but now that I think about it, none of them would stay in against a Water-type anyway.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam

This thing hits so hard and is such a potent revenge killer. Pretty nice coverage, but I find myself using Trick a lot too. I don't get hurt by Tricking because Gardevoir works well with any item besides a Choice Band, and many things are in NU for the sole reason that their speed just sucks. Most teams have at least 2 things that would be killed if they got a Scarf. Even though I'm uninvested, this thing take special hits very well too.

Golem (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 56 Spd / 252 Atk / 200 HP
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Blast

I really can't think of anything to say. This is so self-explanatory.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Return
- Nature Power
- Swords Dance

The rest of this team has no Grass- or Electric-type attacks, so it'd be nice to have something to hit Water-types with.

Haunter @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

This thing is amazing. 5 immunities and quad-resists make it so a handful of Pokemon only have one thing to hit this with, which is taken care of quickly with a fast Disable. This set requires a bit of prediction, but I've become very familiar with it and this thing does so much work for me.

Thanks for feedback.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
this team could have troubles with electric and flying types due to lack of resistances to either. to fix this, you can replace armaldo with golem. this team doesn't have any stealth rock weak members and carries wish support, so rapid spin is not needed. golem gives you a reliable check to the aforementioned types.

although it provides perfect coverage, hidden power [fighting] is generally a bad idea on haunter because it's simply too weak and situational. sludge bomb is a much more reliable option, being able to hit targets such as braviary much harder and having a nice chance to poison the opponent. you only miss out on steel-types which are uncommon in the tier.

summary of changes:

armaldo —> golem
hidden power [fighting] —> sludge bomb on haunter

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast

this team could have troubles with electric and flying types due to lack of resistances to either. to fix this, you can replace armaldo with golem. this team doesn't have any stealth rock weak members and carries wish support, so rapid spin is not needed. golem gives you a reliable check to the aforementioned types.

although it provides perfect coverage, hidden power [fighting] is generally a bad idea on haunter because it's simply too weak and situational. sludge bomb is a much more reliable option, being able to hit targets such as braviary much harder and having a nice chance to poison the opponent. you only miss out on steel-types which are uncommon in the tier.

summary of changes:

armaldo —> golem
hidden power [fighting] —> sludge bomb on haunter

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
Thanks you so much! I really appreciate your feedback.

I'm wondering if Golem would be the best choice. If I do that, my team is extremely weak to Grass. Its only resist, Haunter, barely even counts, because it's just so frail. I will try to find something better to replace Armaldo with though,, because I agree, that was one I was on the fence about.

Are there more situations in which Sludge Bomb is better than when HP Fighting is better? Not only do I use HP Fighting to get perfect coverage and not be walled by anything, really, but super-effective HP Fighting is stronger than STAB Sludge Bomb (barely), but you're right about the chance to poison.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not like unwilling to change or unappreciative or whatever, sorry if it sounds that way :P. I'll probably try out both of these and see how it goes. Thanks again.

I'm wondering if Golem would be the best choice. If I do that, my team is extremely weak to Grass. Its only resist, Haunter, barely even counts, because it's just so frail. I will try to find something better to replace Armaldo with though,, because I agree, that was one I was on the fence about.

Are there more situations in which Sludge Bomb is better than when HP Fighting is better? Not only do I use HP Fighting to get perfect coverage and not be walled by anything, really, but super-effective HP Fighting is stronger than STAB Sludge Bomb (barely), but you're right about the chance to poison.
yea, but the thing is that your team will get broken down by simple cores if they carry a fast electric-type that can freely volt switch around. considering how a good portion of your members are frail or susceptible to them, opponents who play well will easily get the advantage each time something like choice scarf rotom-a comes in safely on alomomola, basculin, haunter, or -1 sawk.

i agree with flcl's change; i was going to suggest piloswine myself before he beat me to the punch, so that's another option you can try out if you feel that golem isn't working for you. armaldo can't really handle grass-types that well anyway, so you aren't losing out on much by switching to either golem or piloswine. additionally, if you're that worried about grass-types, then why not keep sludge bomb on haunter? the better neutral damage (or super-effective for some grass-types) and poison chance it provides is useful. hidden power fighting is mainly for steel-types, which can be taken advantage of by the rest of your team since they all threaten them.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If Golem disagrees with you, consider Piloswine for the job. It takes on Electric types just as well, has a threatening STAB Ice moves to threaten opposing Flying, Ground and Grass types, and can tank hits from Ghosts as well.

I agree with FLCL's Haunter change of course. Having used Haunter extensively, there is just no argument. HP Fighting or Ground are only useful for a few Pokemon that are not truly able to stop Haunter when its behind a Sub anyways (Pursuit users are escapable at least). Sludge Bomb is STAB and generally has more power in every situation except for STeels and Skuntank, so what's the problem? You have a couple of answers to Skuntank as is, and you hardly fear most Steel types as long as you prevent them from setting up too much. Another benefit is that you can Speed tie with other +Spe base 95s now, instead of being outsped. Remember to fix your EVs after this change.

As for Gardevoir, Timid is still the better nature to Speed tie with other +Spe base 80s and outspeed neutral Speed base 85s. More importantly, think about what would happen after you Trick your Scarf away: you lose A LOT of Speed, and Timid Nature lets you at least continue to outspeed important mons like Samurott and Ludicolo.

Changes:

Piloswine>Armaldo
Haunter: Sludge Bomb>HP Fighting
Gardevoir: Timid>Modest

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear/Icicle Crash

Edit: Damn ium, you beat ME to the punch! >:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)