Gen 6 SUB Mega Medicham + Choice Specs Regular Hoopa Bulky Offense

Team Preview
What's up Smogon, since my first Rmt seemed to be appreciated I figured I'd just rmt my favourite team I've been playing since around 2 years. The Team was originally made by the user Life Is A Roll, while Hoopa-Unbound was allowed in ORAS and he climbed up to #1 on the Ladder with it. As soon as Hoopa-Unbound got banned the team was not seen around anymore, so I figured to ask him for the paste and put a regular Hoopa over Hoopa-Unbound plus made some changes for the actual meta, which I have been doing until now, but enough for the introduction, lets get to the team.

Thought Process
The Team is based around the core between Mega Medicham + Choice Specs Hoopa and bringing them in as much as possible with a voltturn core. Mega Medicham and Hoopa have a nice breaking synergy, since the Pokemon that wall or rather check Mega Medicham (Slowbro, Clefable) get smacked by Hoopa and the Pokemon that can switch or rather pivot into Hoopa such as Alomomola, Landorus-T, Tornadus-T or Tyranitar for example all die to High Jump Kick or Ice Punch. The rest of the team is basically just a rock setter, that chips the opposing Pokemon to bring them in range of scarf Excadrill for example to clean lategame and a Voltturn core between Rotom-W and Tornadus-T to bring in the wallbreaker as much as possible.

The Team in detail

Medicham-Mega (F) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Substitute
- Ice Punch
- High Jump Kick

Mega Medicham functions as the main wallbreaker, since Clefable is basically on every team you propably don't wanna lead with it, rather with Rotom-W to cripple Clefable with a Thunder Wave, then Knock it off with Tornadus-T and then the way is basically free to spam High Hump Kick. The Spread is of course just max Speed, max Attack to deal as much damage as possible, while still having enough Speed to outspeed Substitude Calm Mind Suicune or Life Orb Kyurem Black (usually plus special Attack nature). Fake Out of course to have a better Offense matchup, High Jump Kick as stab and Ice Punch to ohko Flying/Ground types like Garchomp, Landorus-T or Tornadus-T. The last move is pretty neat, Substitute gives you a way better matchup vs a Mega Diancie lead and basically gives you a free kill early on in the game which gives you a huge advantage, it is also pretty nice, when you know your opponent is forced to sacrifice a Pokemon to Mega Medicham and instead of just killing for example defensive Garchomp, you get a free Substitute on the swtich into Garchomp, are able to pick it off with Ice Punch and then Force at least 1 other kill, if the conditions are made of course.

Hoopa @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hyperspace Hole

Hoopa is a pretty important member to the team, not only does it deal with the Pokemon that can check Mega Medicham, but it also helps to not lose to Mega Slowbro. The Spread is just max max and Timid nature is chosen to speedtie with Breloom and Bisharp, which usually are Adamant so thats even better, it outspeeds sometimes Gliscor, but I'd suggest scouting first if it's rather special defensive or speedie. Shadow Ball as stab move and as other stab move Hyperspace Hole over Psyshock, because it was made in a time where Scolipede Baton Pass was around at, it still helps for example to break through Mega Diancie's or Alomomola's Protect and get a surprise kill. Focus Blast is needed to hit Dark and Steel types like Tyranitar, Weavile, Ferrothorn or Hydreigon. Trick was chosen as last slot, in case something such as Clefable is setting up and Excadrill is already gone, it also increases the chances of winning vs Stall or Balance. Because Hoopa in it's normal form does have the ghost typing, it can be used as switchin for Starmie in order to spin block, most of the threads for this team are Stealth Rock weak, which makes Hoopa even more important to keep around.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 88 SpA / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave

Now since Mega Medicham is Adamant and Hoopa does not have the best speed tier either, the team needs to have some kind of speedcontroll. Rotom-W fits perfectly into the team, not only does Thunder Wave help out to slow down Tornadus-T which sometimes stay in, in order to Knock you off, but Rotom-W also cripples Clefables, who are most of the times the switchin to Rotom-W, plus Thunder Wave helps out against setup Pokemon like Mega Charizard X which is a nuissance to the team. Will-O-Wisp allows you to handle physical attackers like Mega Lopunny or Mega Metagross, the other 2 slots are Volt Switch (for momentum of course) and Hydro Pump. This Rotom spread might seem a bit weird at first glance, but it does have it's purpose. 230 speed allows Rotom-W to outspeed Jolly Crawdaunt, most defensive Landorus-T's and jolly Belly Drum Azumarills, the 88 special attack Ev's are there to ensure breaking Suicunes Substitute after a Calm Mind, allowing you to bring in Mega Medicham for example and force it out, it also helps to deal with Gliscor which is just a massive pain in the ass for the team. The 80 Ev's into physical defense reach a jumppoint while the remaining 252 Ev's are put into HP. Of course you can experiment around with the spread, for example running 241 or 263 Speed for Bisharp, but that is in my opinion not necessary, another option would be to run a more mixed defensive spread like this 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD to be able to take on Pokemon Such as Mega Manectric or Mega Diancie better, but again in my opinion that's not mandatory, since you have enough outs for these threads.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave

Alright, the team is still pretty slow and does not have a real ground resist, Rotom-W does take on most ground types, but since Mold Breaker Excadrill with Leftovers is pretty common right now and Choice Scarf Mold Breaker version exists as well, it's just better to have a ground immunity and that's where Tornadus-T comes to play. Tornadus-T gives the team great momentum, it's able to function as glue, pivoting into hits such as Latios' Draco Meteor or Mega Diancie's Moonblast or even Mega Manectrics Flamethrower/HP Ice to then go into Excadrill and force them out. The Spread is pretty standard, basically just max Speed and max HP to tank hits well. It doesn't really matter where you invest the last 8 Ev's but I prefer to have a slightly higher chance not getting KO'ed by +2 Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch. The moveset is pretty standard as well, U-Turn for momentum, Knock Off to deal with defensive Pokemon such as Clefable better, Heat Wave to hit Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor and Serperior and last move of course Hurricane.

Excadrill (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Now the team needs a wincon and a steel type is needed, which makes the decision pretty easy. Excadrill gives the team a good speedtier, beeing able to revengekill Mega Diancie, Mega Manectric, Mega Metagross and most important check Clefable, it also functions as a Spinner, in case the team gets overwhelmed by hazards. The spread on Excadrill does might seem like I went mad, but it helps out to switch into Flamethrower Clefable and Choice Scarf Magnezone, avoiding 2 hits from both of em after Stealth Rocks damage, though overall it's better to outplay the opponent, scouting for Flamethrower, chipping the opponent down and forcing them to recover in order to safely get to switch Excadrill in. This spread also helps to switch into Mega Diancie and Mega Manectric which are of course threads to Bulky Offense. Iron Head and Earthquake are pretty clear, I doub't I'll have to explain that, neither with Rapid Spin. The last slot kinda gives me a headache sometimes, since on the one hand Rock Slide does help revenge killing Dragon Dance Dragonite, Mega Pinsir, Tornadus-T and hitting Zapdos for a spicy amount of damage, on the other hand would Toxic helps the team out as well, beeing able to not have to rely on only Hoopa to cover Mega Slowbro. In my opinion it's rather important to revenge kill Mega Pinsir and Dragonite, but feel free to try it out.

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Last but not least the team needs a Stealth Rocker, for Bulky Offense Garchomp is always a blessing, since it can endure long enough to get Rocks up and chip down the opponent due to Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet, Garchomp helps the team to deal with Mega Lopunny, Mega Medicham, Mega Metagross and Bisharp for example, or at least it get's Stealth Rock up and brings them in range of Scarf Earthquake from Excadrill. The Spread is just the standard one, 263 Speed to outspeed jolly Bisharp and Breloom, 176 Ev's into defense to hit a jumppoint and rest HP to maximize the bulk. The set is nothing new either, just Rocks, double stab and Fire Blast for Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, I've considered running more special defense to be able to take on Mega Charizard Y better, but I shortly realised after 1-2 testing games, that it just wasn't worth it.

Threadlist
Now of course every team does have weaknesses, since someone suggested me to make a list of threads for the team I figured it might be nice to include them and maybe write one or two sentences down, describing how to deal with them.

Offensive Dragon Types: Now those are basically the biggest issue, Kyurem-Black does not have any switchins, which is why it's important to get Stealth Rocks up ASAP and try to double not giving it any chances to get a free kill, same goes for Life Orb Garchomp. For Mega Charizard X it's important to keep Rotom-W healthy so it can be crippled with a Thunder Wave and be revengekilled by Mega Medicham, Garchomp or Excadrill.

Weavile: It's incredible important to have Rocks up ASAP here as well, of course that's not always gonna happen, so either you just play really agressive, not giving it a chance by for example staying in with Garchomp vs Weavile or you have to sacrifice one Member to then go into Garchomp and set up rocks (since Weavile is 99.9% of the time Choice Banded).

Mega Charizard Y: This thing is a real menace, basicall the best way to play around it is using Garchomp as one time switch in to Dragon Tail it out, Rocks on your opponents side of the field is here again crucial, though Mega Charizard Y can't really switch into anything on the team.

Of course there are always minor threads like Mega Metagross, Mega Diancie and Mega Manectric, but those can definitely be outplayed, by pivoting and playing smart.

Replays:
Me vs. Blunderr https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen6ou-401875

Me vs. FLCL https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-280525

Me vs. Mob Barley https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen6ou-400228

These Replays are only for the purpose of showcasing the team and If you feel offended beeing in one of these Replays you should propably grow up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)