subpunching... AGGRON!!

who like gen4? i doooo. in my opinion its much more fun and a lot less annoying and frustating then gen 5 lol. but you have your american right to do what you like so ill end all that right here and tell you what was my team building process.

the team was going to be built around an aggron that i find surprisingly successful in gen4 uu. i wanted to give it a test in ou. so this was my first spot sealed

so clearly aggron has 180 base defense and 110 attack but is uu because of its unfortunate 4x weakness to ground and fighting. dragonite came in to cover that as well as its water weakness. the other way around aggron helps with ice and especially well with dragon and rock.

next a special attacker is necessary. and at the same time a reliable wall breaker. infernape does his thing once again and takes care of a whole sleu of things that make him well worth a slot.

next i realize i need a revenge killer. specifically for if gyarados or other dragonite get a dragon dance. scarf starmie pretty much does what he wants in that department and also can take on scarf infernape which has always caused me problems on any team.

next i definitely realize i have a life orb starmie weakness and special attackers in general more specifically strong electric types. as much as i dislike using it, blissey helps this team more than a lot of other things ive tested. able to take hits on either side of the spectrum incredibly well, and provide important paralysis support.

now i need my lead. taunt stealth leads are always my favorite and seeing as how deoxys is banned and i cant afford so have something as frail and weak to electric as aerodactyl i gave gliscor a shot. he's doing his thing and the stab eq takes care of several common leads.

===========================================================================================​

Now let's peep these bad boys out​

Gliscor @ focus-sash
Sand-Veil
252 hp 4 def 252 spd
Jolly​

-Earthquake
-Stealth rock
-Taunt
-Roost​

gliscor does what he does similarly to aerodactyl except hes actually got some bulk and better typing. the omni-present azelf leads in general are a hard thing for this team to deal with. and taunt versions shut this gliscor down completely lol. i want to squeeze u-turn on the set just for that but i have no idea where. possibly over roost but u be the judge if thats worth it or not. otherwise heatran, ttar, metagross, and infernape leads are handled quite effectively. if needed and predicted correctly, aggron can take explosions like a total stud.​

(previously tested - forretress, swampert) no taunt was off putting and forretress's midgame utility was little to none. swampert was decent but i really wanted taunt.​

Infernape @ life-orb
Blaze
64 atk 252 spatk 192 spd
Naive​

-Close combat
-Fire blast
-Grass knot
-hidden power ice/electric​

wallbreaking infernape. pretty delicious. skarmbliss can go home. zapdos cant take 2 fire blasts nor can any rotoms. suicune is killed by switching into stealth rocks and a fire blast, then grass knot. swampert is.. dead.. gliscor is.. dead. the hidden power is a dilema. without electric gyarados can set up but thats what starmie is for anyway. but starmie is also for gliscor or dragonite stat uppers. infernape is great gyara bait resisting both my stabs and having intimidate. on my other team i use electric and it always got the surprise ohko. thinking of switching to it really soon because the amount of ice/dragon moves i already have i see electric being much better as my only other way of reliably killing gyarados before it sets up. fire blast already ohkos standard gliscor a decent amount of the time after rocks if its not in sand if im not mistaken.​

Starmie @ choice-scarf
Natural Cure
4 hp 252 spatk 252 spd
Timid​

-Hydro pump
-Ice beam
-Thunderbolt
-Trick​

a potent revenge killer of common threats. most will expect the life orb so when they get killed if theyre at +1 or even +2 speed they go =[[. trick deals with obnoxious things like vaporeon and blissey. also my switchin to a trick scarfer if i can predict it right. namely if a scarf rotom switches into blissey or something like that. then i wonder what theyre gonna do amirite?​

Blissey @ leftovers
Natural Cure
4 hp 252 def 252 spatk
Bold​

-Seismic toss
-Ice beam
-Softboiled
-Thunder-wave​

i dont like using blissey really. i feel its kinda cheap as its almost a dead stop to any and all special attackers. so if youre wondering why im running a really weird set its too make it a little less hypocritical and take a small break from the norm which i like to do. pretty effective but perhaps flamethrower can be one of its moves only because i have so many others with the same coverage now that i think about it lol. much needed pokemon to handle life orb starmie without recover which the rest of my team really just cant do. spreads paralysis which is awesome for my sweepers making their lives really easy. softboiled is standard fare. (previously gave suicune a shot. stacked electric and grass weakness. blissey is much more defensive and i didnt really need the extra redundant offense anyway.)​

Dragonite @ life-orb
Inner focus
252 atk 4 spdef 252 spd
Jolly​

-Dragon dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire punch​

dragonite likes to sweep if he can. but his job is to punch big wholes in the other team and possibly drag out their steels or defensive walls for starmie or infernape to take care of. he was chose for his defensive synergy with aggron at first and after that his ability to force switches from there and get boosts up is why he stays. he really appreciates if gliscor can keep off rockslife orb is for extra power and helps with ko's on things like zapdos, swampert, celebi and what not. idk what else really just the extra power is appreciated. could be lum berry for more outrage spam or recovery from burn, sleep or paralysis which always sucks for a sweeper. could be a resist berry also? any opinions? share!​

Aggron @ leftovers
Rock head
160 hp 252 atk 96 spd
Adamant​

-Head smash
-Focus punch
-Substitute
-Magnet Rise​

dont dismiss it until youve tried it. its seriously a beast if played/supported well. this aggron behind a sub can compeletely wreck unprepared teams. its defensive prowess is very great with some hp investment and can scare off a lot of physical attackers. always sub if youre going to force a switch. the best is if they switch to flygon. magnet rise on the eq and then sub up again and just do your thang. head smash is absurdly powerful and ohkos so many frail things like infernape, starmie, gengar, azelf, and many things similar before they can kill me cuz im behind a sub =D. takes a giant dent out of most defensive things as well. focus punch is awesome when im behind a sub and makes for good coverage with headsmash taking out steels with no problem. 96 speed evs puts me at a nice 160 speed. outspeeding minimum speed 61s and under. he's the real main reason why paralysis support is so vital. overall this things a real beast and its fun to use and i suggest anyone test it out. just make sure its properly played, supported and you'll be good to go.​

if there's one thing to say about the team in general it's really weak to rain teams (yay for no drizzle). my best bet is to stall out rain with the special ludicolo or bait kingdra into outrage and then bring in aggron who resists it and has base 180 defense. but yeah kingdra's a big threat to the team as a whole, not so much so if its special or if its t waved because of blissey but you can tell i have a weakness to it.​

gliscors and dragonites ice weakness is covered by.. everyone else.​

dragon weakness is aggron territory but mainly outrage or choicers.​

ground fight and water weaknesses is covered by dragonite. the latter two starmie also. and blissey handles any surfs easily. ground and fighting easily taken by gliscor also.​

overall a decent team so far. tell me what you think and make any suggestions you might see fit. test sub punch aggron in ou! trust me its worth it and its fun!​

Considering Gliscor's already heavy bulk, I think Leftovers over Focus Sash is definitely te better choice. Especially if you plan on keeping Glis for later game. U-Turn is indeed always a nice choice for scouting, but I see where you're having trouble fitting it in. Roost is nearly essential to reduce Gliscor's 4x weakness to Ice into a 2x weakness instead.

Surf over Hydro Pump on Starmie would be preferred as for more PP and accuracy.

I like the option of Lum Berry for Dragonite. But I'm really partial to Lum Berry for setup sweepers since a burn would really hurt them. Unless you have a dedicated Cleric that is.

But other than that, I like this team. I also love Aggron, so yeah! Props to Aggron!

Looks pretty good, I agree with the guy above that the focus sash is not needed on you're Gliscor. Futhermore, once Blissey is gone Sucuine will be a huge threat to you're team. Maybe you can try a Shaymin some where with this set.

Shaymin@Life Orb@Modest
252sp atk/ 252 speed/ 4 sp def

rest/seed flare/ earth power/ hp fire/ice

I got a few nitpicks:

- Gliscor is a bulky enough lead so Focus Sash isn't really suggested. Instead you might want to try Leftovers for that bit of extra recovery every turn.

- Scarf Starmie doesn't need a + Spe nature, I suggest you use a Modest one to make up for the loss of power.

- On Aggron you could try an EV's spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe / 6 SDef. This spread gives Aggron enough HP for abusing Substitute and with 132 Spe you can outspeed Skarmory so you can Head Smash it before it uses Roost.

Good luck with the team!

starmie can trick suicune. everything on my team has a way to hurt suicune but yeah if blissey is out it might cost one to kill it. hopefully its paralyzed so aggron can hurt it. shaymin would stack ice weakness to 3 pokemon and im not down with that really. teh focus sash has just been to scout random things that carry ice moves and has payed off a decent amount of times. gliscors not essential to the core of teh team so for now im just seeing if sash or leftovers will help it more. A LOT of random things have hp ice or something so im just playin it safe at first.

- On Aggron you could try an EV's spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe / 6 SDef. This spread gives Aggron enough HP for abusing Substitute and with 132 Spe you can outspeed Skarmory so you can Head Smash it before it uses Roost.
That gets you a 2 KO but if you use headsmash after Roost you get Super Effect damage. Some of that speed may be better off towards Attack.

using one bump.. im kinda swords dance lucario weak
Well, you should be fine if you can keep Gliscor around, but another approach might be to change the moveset on Infernape. If you put Mach Punch on Infernape, you can easily pick off Lucario after a Close Combat.

Well, you should be fine if you can keep Gliscor around, but another approach might be to change the moveset on Infernape. If you put Mach Punch on Infernape, you can easily pick off Lucario after a Close Combat.
that sounds reasonable and useful otherwise at the same time. i think i should get rid of my hidden power because i have starmie anyway with better versions of both my slashes. thanks ill try it out.

That gets you a 2 KO but if you use headsmash after Roost you get Super Effect damage. Some of that speed may be better off towards Attack.
just all around, no. roost gets rid of flying type so headsmash will be resisted and do less. at that point i can predict an obvious roost and kill with focus punch will keeping my sub most likely. also the spread youre quoting had 252 in atk so how do u intend on me putting more there lol. thanks anyway tho.

i was just thinking, should starmie just be gengar?? with t bolt and hp ice theyre very similar and both have trick. also the ground/fighting immunity would be awesome. someone tell me

Hello Mr. Senior. This is a very interesting yet solid team at a glance. I myself really like the originality that you are using Aggron.

It seems like you are slightly weak to DD variants of Kingdra however, as it can set up against Starmie and do quite a bit of damage to your team. If Kingdra manages to get a boost, it can continue to set up on Blissey, and Gliscor which could mean game over.

Your best check as it is now is probably Aggron, however Aggron will be taking 64.2% - 76.6% from a +1 Waterfall from your standard DD Kingdra. The main issue with this is the fact that Aggron is your only steel. You will be abusing your resistences with him quite often be put into kill range for Kingdra later in the game. Kingdra flinches aren't fun either.

If the Kingdra is Double Dance, or Rain Dance unfortunatly you are in much worse shape. I wouldn't worry about those two as much though, since they are uncommon. To fix this problem with Kingdra you could always run a Skarmory over Gliscor, which could cover Kingdra while creating the infamous Skarm/Bliss combination. Skarmory can beat lead Machamp, which could give your current Gliscor set some problems. It can also check Offensive Dragonite with Extreme Speed over Fire Punch, another problem pokemon for your team if it manages to get set up on your Starmie locked into Thunderbolt.

Skarmory also lays spikes, which have excellent synergy with Aggron, Starmie, Dragonite, and Infernape. Skarmory also can get Taunt, which means you will not be missing out on the Taunt you like. In return, it covers pretty much everything that Gliscor did, while patching up the weakness to your team. You have Blissey to take those messy Electric attacks.

The set shall look like this.

Skarmory @ Lum Berry
Ability:Keen Eye
Nature:Impish
252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe
~ Taunt
~ Spikes
~ Brave Bird
~ Roost

Now since you are using Skarmory, and have no room for Stealth Rocks, you can always put Stealth Rock on Blissey. Thunder Wave is probably the best thing to drop.

The main problem with this fix is the fact that you are now Lucario weak, this can easily be mended however. I suggest using a Bulky Dragonite over your currect Dragonite. You have Spikes to make up for the lack of power, and it is much more bulky to make sure it can check Lucario. Lucario with Stone Edge can still beat you, but if the problem is overwhelming, you can always use Mach Punch over Hidden Power Ice on Infernape.

Dragonite@Leftovers
Nature:Adamant
Ability:Inner Focus
252HP/52Def/204Spe
-Roost
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance

While the EV's may seem strange without any attack, but they guarantee you survive +2 Adamant Lucario's CC with Stealth Rock up.

Overall, I enjoyed rating your team. It was hard to spot weaknesses at a glance, so good luck!

Edit:I second Delko's EV spread for Aggron. I also think a better EV spread for Blissey would be 252HP/252Def/6Spe. You have no use for any special attack EVs on it, and more bulk is always useful.

@lizard man. i greatly appreciate your rate. i know am kingdra weak as aggron is my only steel. my best bet is to lure it into outrage as of now. and even at +1 life orb it doesnt break aggrons sub and he can sub headsmash which'll kill after rocks and one round of life orb. while i know it isnt that awesome a strategy it can get the job done if need be. i also am lead machamp weak. i always eq on the ice punch, switch to ape on the bullet punch and fire blast kills from there. could cost me rocks in the long run but at least i dont lose a poke. while i will consider all your other changes thunder wave simply CANNOT go as it is what makes aggron successful. also if bliss can lure infernape/lucario/breloom and i can t-wave on the switch in thats just best case scenario, otherwise blisseys straight up bait for them.

You can always drop Ice Beam instead of Thunder Wave. Thunder Wave is really helpful for Aggron, I am suprised I missed that.

Pretty much everything Ice Beam hits loses to Starmie, or doesn't like taking a Thunder Wave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)