move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Glacial Lance
item: Leftovers
ability: As One (Glastrier)
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
While Calyrex-I is negatively affected by not being able to be used with Calyrex-S on the same team, it is an effective wallbreaker with Substitute + Leech Seed due to its good bulk, great Attack, and very powerful STAB move in Glacial Lance, which can quickly dent Necrozma-DM. Having a strong move for Dragon- and Ground-types is integral for forcing out Pokemon such as Zygarde-C, Eternatus, and Groudon. Substitute can be used on forced switches for easier setup aided by Calyrex-I's bulk. Leech Seed allows Calyrex-I behind Substitute to overwhelm Necrozma-DM over time. Calyrex-I's comparatively low uninvested HP increases Leech Seed's healing, helping it offset Substitute damage. Swords Dance boosts Calyrex-I's Attack to ludicrous levels when it is given the chance, which is often given the amount of switches it forces. As One can make it progressively harder to deal with Calyrex-I, although its Speed hinders its ability to outright sweep. A Jolly nature allows it to outspeed paralyzed Zacian-C and uninvested Pokemon with base 90 Speed such as Ho-Oh and defensive Groudon.

Calyrex-I is best used on bulky balance teams that appreciate its ability to lure in and overwhelm Necrozma-DM and check dangerous wallbreakers in Zygarde-C and Zekrom in a pinch. Zacian-C and Xerneas are by far the best offensive partners, benefitting massively from Calyrex-I's ability to pressure Necrozma-DM. In return, both can threaten Yveltal and Marshadow. Calyrex-I appreciates partners that can slow foes down and check switch-ins. Zygarde-C is an excellent partner with Glare, allowing Calyrex-I to usually outspeed and gain free turns to set up with Swords Dance. It also deals with Marshadow lacking Ice Punch. As bulky Kyogre is Calyrex-I’s most effective wall, checks to it such as Eternatus and Kyurem-W are valuable, with the former sapping Scald PP with Pressure and the latter pressuring Kyogre with Freeze-Dry. Ferrothorn frustrates Kyogre with Spikes and Knock Off. Necrozma-DM is a useful partner as well, being a Thunder Wave user and a Zacian-C check. Calyrex-I benefits Necrozma-DM by using Leech Seed on Zacian-C switching in and offensively checking Zygarde-C. Defoggers such as Ho-Oh and Yveltal are vital, as entry hazards heavily chip Calyrex-I every time it switches in.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

High Horsepower can be used over Swords Dance to attain perfect coverage and is useful against threats like Necrozma-DM and Zacian-C. However, forgoing Swords Dance makes fighting Necrozma-DM more awkward, as Calyrex-I will be forced to take Rocky Helmet damage when attempting to wear it down. A bulkier version of a Substitute set can be run with Iron Defense, Body Press, and Glacial Lance alongside a 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe EV spread. This set has the benefit of being a sturdier check to Zygarde-C and Zekrom, though it struggles to overcome Necrozma-DM that can Dynamax. Heavy-Duty Boots can be used to remove chip from Stealth Rock, allowing Calyrex-I to switch in more easily, although Leftovers synergizes well with Substitute.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Revenge Killers**: Several Pokemon are able to revenge-kill Calyrex-I, such as Zacian-C, Marshadow, Calyrex-S, and offensive Yveltal. A healthy Zacian-C can take on Calyrex-I unless it’s boosted and behind a Substitute; Spectral Thief Marshadow can threaten it regardless of Attack boosts and Substitute. Calyrex-S and Yveltal should only be used to revenge kill if Calyrex-I isn’t behind a Substitute. Most of these Pokemon appreciate having the opposing Dynamax already used to minimize the risk of getting KOed instead.

**Kyogre**: Given its Ice resistance and neutrality to High Horsepower, Kyogre can usually switch in safely and damage Calyrex-I greatly with its STAB moves. With Scald, Kyogre can pressure Calyrex-I by threatening to burn it, negating recovery from Leftovers and drastically reducing its offensive power. Rest lets Kyogre heal when Calyrex-I chips it enough to threaten a KO. Even bulky Kyogre usually outspeed Calyrex-I, forcing it out unless it is behind a Substitute.

**Entry Hazards**: Calyrex-I taking 25% from Stealth Rock means that it struggles when it’s repeatedly forced out. While Stealth Rock is the most dangerous hazard for Calyrex-I, Spikes and Toxic Spikes are also to be watched out for, as extra chip and getting poisoned can force Calyrex-I to rely on Leech Seed more often.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Mbouchon, 515077]]
- Quality checked by: [[Guard, 360582], [Fc, 511624]]
- Grammar checked by: [[CryoGyro, 331519]]

Last edited:

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
Hi mbouchon, this analysis is pretty good content-wise, but I'll need you to correct the structure of the first paragraph before giving this a check. The order of information should be the following:
  1. general introductory sentence or two stating what Calyrex-I's niche is in the metagame and what qualities attribute to that niche
  2. a rundown of the four main moves
  3. an explanation of the nature, ability, and EV spread
Some other notes:
  • remove High Horsepower from the first paragraph, since it's already in Other Options
  • remove Heavy-Duty Boots from the entire analysis; Leftovers synergizes too well with Substitute to forego
  • merge Zacian-C and Marshadow into one section in 'Checks and Counters', name it 'Revenge Killers', and include Pokemon such as Calyrex-S and Yveltal (although specify that they can only revenge kill Calyrex-Ice if it's not behind a Substitute)
  • make sections for Kyogre and entry hazards under 'Checks and Counters'
  • watch the grammar: it's Zacian-C, Zygarde-C, and Calyrex-I. Correct this wherever something else has been written.
Tag me once all of this is taken care of and I'll take another look.

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
add remove comment
[SET]
Name: SubSeed
move 1: Substitute

[SET COMMENTS]
While Calyrex-I faces very strong competition from Calyrex-S for the Calyrex slot, it is an effective Pokemon to pair wallbreaker with a Substitute + Leech Seed set due to its good bulk, great Attack, and access to a very powerful STAB move in Glacial Lance. Having a strong move hitting Dragon- and Ground-types is integral to its ability to force many Pokemon out -you should name examples such as Zygarde-C and Eternatus-. Substitute can be used while the opponent switches, so Calyrex-I can set up more easily, aided by its bulk. Leech Seed allows Calyrex-I to overwhelm Necrozma-DM over time after setting up a Substitute on the turn Necrozma-DM switches in. Its Calyrex-I's higher Defense and comparatively lower uninvested HP increases the percentage healed by Leech Seed, further helping it offset Substitute damage against Zygarde-C, Eternatus, and other high-HP Pokemon. The way Calyrex-I is used allows foes to gradually wear Calyrex-I down, sometimes even with Leech Seed up; therefore Leftovers is a valuable item on it that mostly alleviates this issue, synergizing well with Substitute. Swords Dance is to allow Calyrex-I to boost its Attack to ludicrous levels when it is given the chance, which is often given the switching amount of switches it forces. Glacial Lance is an extremely powerful STAB move that can dent even resists such as Necrozma-DM after a boost or two. Its ability As One can make it progressively harder to deal with Calyrex-I, although its Speed hinders its ability to outright sweep. The EVs are invested into Attack and Speed, so Glacial Lance can threaten even defensive Pokemon. -obvious info- A Jolly nature allows it to outspeed uninvested base-90s such as Ho-Oh and bulky Kyogre, as well as always outspeed paralyzed Zacian-C.

Calyrex-I is best used on bulky balance teams that appreciate its ability to passively heal teammates, while also pressuring Dragon-types lure in and overwhelm Necrozma-DM and soft-check dangerous wallbreakers in Zygarde-C and Zekrom in a pinch. Zacian-C and Xerneas are by far the best offensive partners, benefitting massively from Calyrex-I's ability to pressure Necrozma-DM. In return, both can threaten Yveltal and Marshadow. It Calyrex-I appreciates Pokemon partners that can paralyze opposing Pokemon as partners, such as Necrozma-DM and defensive Zygarde-C. Paralysis support gives Calyrex-I more opportunities to use Substitute and Swords Dance, as well as lowers most opposing Pokemon’s Speed to the point that Calyrex-I moves first. Defensive Zygarde-C and Eternatus is are also useful as a switch-in to Choice Band Marshadows without Ice Punch. As Necrozma-DM is present on almost every team, having a strong check, like Gothitelle, is preferred. -Necrozma-DM cannot check Calyrex-I reliably- Heavy-Duty Boots Necrozma-DM doubles as a mandaotory check to Zacian-C, which easily threatens Calyrex-I out if the latter is not behind a Substitute. -moved this sentence to the front because it's the more important one- Necrozma-DM also appreciates Calyrex-I’s ability to Leech Seed Zacian-C, allowing it to recover passively by switching into it, while potentially gaining a turn from the opponent switching. It also doubles as a mandatory check to Zacian-C. For Leftovers Calyrex-I, Defoggers such as Ho-Oh and Yveltal are vital, as entry hazards can heavily chip it Calyrex-I every time it switches in. Moreover, Yveltal can act as a sorely needed check to Calyrex-S, whereas Ho-Oh can hold off offensive Yveltal variants.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

High Horsepower can be used over Swords Dance to hit all mons Pokemon at least neutrally, and is valuable coverage against threats like Necrozma-DM and Zacian-C. However, forgoing Swords Dance makes the matchup against Necrozma-DM more awkward, as Calyrex-I will be forced to take Rocky Helmet damage in the hopes of wearing it down. A bulkier version of a Substitute set may be run alongside Iron Defense, Body Press, and Glacial Lance in conjunction with a 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe EV spread. This set also has the benefit of being a sturdier check to Zygarde-C and Zekrom. However, it struggles to overcome a Necrozma-DM that has access to Dynamax. An offensive Trick Room set may be used with Glacial Lance, High Horsepower, and Swords Dance, alongside a 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def EV spread, a Brave nature, and either Heavy-Duty Boots or Weakness Policy. Such a set requires a lot of support in order to position itself properly, however, and is thus outclassed by wallbreakers such as Groudon and Zekrom.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Necrozma-DM**: As Necrozma-DM resists Glacial Lance, as well as being present on almost every team, it hinders Calyrex-Ice’s ability to set up. -beating Necrozma-DM is the entire point of the Leech Seed set-

**Revenge Killers**: Several Pokemon are able to revenge-kill Calyrex-I, such as Zacian-C, Marshadow, Calyrex-S, and offensive Yveltal. A healthy Zacian-C can take on Calyrex-I unless it’s boosted and behind a Substitute; Spectral Thief Marshadow can threaten it regardless of Attack boosts and Substitute. Calyrex-S and Yveltal should only be used to revenge kill if Calyrex-I isn’t behind a Substitute. Most of these Pokemon appreciate having the opposing Dynamax already used, to minimize the risk of getting KOed instead.

**Kyogre**: With a typing that resists Glacial Lance while getting hit neutrally by High Horsepower, Kyogre can usually switch in safely and damage Calyrex-I greatly with its STAB moves. With Choice Specs variants OHKOing with Origin Pulse, Calyrex-Ice is in a risky situation by staying in, as Kyogre is faster.

**Entry Hazards**: Calyrex-I taking 25% from Stealth Rock means that it struggles when it’s repeatedly forced out in conjunction with entry hazards. -it's vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes too, be sure to mention that-

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[name1, num1], [name2, num2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[name3, num3]]
made a bunch of grammar corrections so I encourage you to use the reply button in order to properly copypaste those into your analysis; had quite a few things to adjust beyond that too but should be fine once everything has been implemented carefully
1/2

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Comments in Blue
Additions in Green
Removals in Red

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
While Calyrex-I faces very strong competition I'm not sure if "competition" is the right word as they fulfill different roles, it's more of an opportunity cost imo to where you can't use the best mon in the tier with it from Calyrex-S for the Calyrex slot, it is an effective wallbreaker with a Substitute + Leech Seed set due to its good bulk, great Attack, and access to a very powerful STAB move in Glacial Lance. Having a strong move hitting Dragon- and Ground-types is integral to its ability to force many Pokemon out, such as Zygarde-C, Eternatus, and Groudon. Substitute can be used while the opponent switches, so Calyrex-I can set up more easily, aided by its bulk. Leech Seed allows Calyrex-I to overwhelm Necrozma-DM over time after setting up a Substitute on the turn Necrozma-DM switches in. Calyrex-I's comparatively low uninvested HP increases the percentage healed by Leech Seed, helping it offset Substitute damage. Swords Dance is to allow Calyrex-I to boost its Attack to ludicrous levels when it is given the chance, which is often given the amount of switches it forces. Glacial Lance is an extremely powerful STAB move that can dent even resists such as Necrozma-DM after a boost or two. You already talked about lance for a few sentences above, could add this to that if you want but it feels a little like fluff As One can make it progressively harder to deal with Calyrex-I, although its Speed hinders its ability to outright sweep. A Jolly nature allows it to outspeed uninvested base-90s such as Ho-Oh and bulky Kyogre, as well as always outspeed paralyzed Zacian-C.

Calyrex-I is best used on bulky balance teams that appreciate its ability to lure in and overwhelm Necrozma-DM and soft-check dangerous wallbreakers in Zygarde-C and Zekrom in a pinch. Zacian-C and Xerneas are by far the best offensive partners, benefitting massively from Calyrex-I's ability to pressure Necrozma-DM. In return, both can threaten Yveltal and Marshadow. Calyrex-I appreciates partners that can paralyze opposing Pokemon, such as Necrozma-DM and defensive Zygarde-C. Paralysis support gives Calyrex-I more opportunities to use Substitute and Swords Dance, as well as lowers most opposing Pokemon’s Speed to the point that Calyrex-I moves first. Defensive Zygarde-C and Eternatus are also useful as a switch-in to Marshadow without Ice Punch. Necrozma-DM doubles as a mandaotory check to Zacian-C, which easily threatens Calyrex-I out if the latter is not behind a Substitute. Necrozma-DM also appreciates Calyrex-I’s ability to Leech Seed Zacian-C, allowing it to recover passively by switching into it. Defoggers such as Ho-Oh and Yveltal are vital, as entry hazards can heavily chip Calyrex-I every time it switches in. I think most of this part I highlighted in green can be shortened down. You mention Zygarde-C and NDM multiple times and Eternatus just once, so I think you can compact the different things zyg and ndm do into much shorter sentences that flow a bit better Moreover, Yveltal can act as a sorely needed check to Calyrex-S, whereas Ho-Oh can hold off offensive Yveltal variants. Kyogre is the hardest wall to this mon, mention threatening checks to it such as Kyurem-W and Ferrothorn which can also pressure stuff with OHKO / Spikes to help it

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Give a mention to Heavy-Duty Boots as an item, for this specific set I'd use it much more often than anything else listed here to remove rocks chip. High Horsepower can be used over Swords Dance to hit all Pokemon at least neutrally, and is valuable coverage against threats like Necrozma-DM and Zacian-C. However, forgoing Swords Dance makes the matchup against Necrozma-DM more awkward, as Calyrex-I will be forced to take Rocky Helmet damage in the hopes of wearing it down. A bulkier version of a Substitute set may be run alongside Iron Defense, Body Press, and Glacial Lance in conjunction with a 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe EV spread. This set also has the benefit of being a sturdier check to Zygarde-C and Zekrom. However, it struggles to overcome a Necrozma-DM that has access to Dynamax.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Revenge Killers**: Several Pokemon are able to revenge-kill Calyrex-I, such as Zacian-C, Marshadow, Calyrex-S, and offensive Yveltal. A healthy Zacian-C can take on Calyrex-I unless it’s boosted and behind a Substitute; Spectral Thief Marshadow can threaten it regardless of Attack boosts and Substitute. Calyrex-S and Yveltal should only be used to revenge kill if Calyrex-I isn’t behind a Substitute. Most of these Pokemon appreciate having the opposing Dynamax already used, to minimize the risk of getting KOed instead.

**Kyogre**: With a typing that resists Glacial Lance while getting hit neutrally by High Horsepower, Kyogre can usually switch in safely and damage Calyrex-I greatly with its STAB moves. Mention rest sets longevity against it and scald pressure with burns

**Entry Hazards**: Calyrex-I taking 25% from Stealth Rock means that it struggles when it’s repeatedly forced out in conjunction with entry hazards. While Stealth Rock is the most dangerous hazard for Calyrex-I, Spikes and Toxic Spikes are also to be watched out for, as extra chip and getting Poisoned can force Calyrex-I to rely on Leech Seed more often.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Guard, 360582], [name2, num2]]

QC 2/2
Stamp.gif

GP 1/1
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
While Calyrex-I is negatively affected by not being able to be used with Calyrex-S on the same team, it is an effective wallbreaker with a Substitute + Leech Seed set due to its good bulk, great Attack, and access to a very powerful STAB move in Glacial Lance, which can quickly dent Necrozma-DM after just one or two uses. Having a strong move hitting for Dragon- and Ground-types is integral to its ability to force many Pokemon out, for forcing out Pokemon such as Zygarde-C, Eternatus, and Groudon. Substitute can be used while the opponent switches, so Calyrex-I can set up more easily, aided by its bulk on forced switches for easier setup aided by Calyrex-I's bulk. Leech Seed allows Calyrex-I behind Substitute to overwhelm Necrozma-DM over time after setting up a Substitute on the turn Necrozma-DM switches in. Calyrex-I's comparatively low uninvested HP increases the percentage healed by Leech Seed's healing, helping it offset Substitute damage. Swords Dance is to allow Calyrex-I to boost its boosts Calyrex-I's Attack to ludicrous levels when it is given the chance, which is often given the amount of switches it forces. As One can make it progressively harder to deal with Calyrex-I, although its Speed hinders its ability to outright sweep. A Jolly nature allows it to outspeed uninvested base-90s such as Ho-Oh and defensive Groudon, as well as always outspeed paralyzed Zacian-C paralyzed Zacian-C and uninvested Pokemon with base 90 Speed such as Ho-Oh and defensive Groudon.

Calyrex-I is best used on bulky balance teams that appreciate its ability to lure in and overwhelm Necrozma-DM and soft-check dangerous wallbreakers in Zygarde-C and Zekrom in a pinch. Zacian-C and Xerneas are by far the best offensive partners, benefitting massively from Calyrex-I's ability to pressure Necrozma-DM. In return, both can threaten Yveltal and Marshadow. Calyrex-I appreciates partners that can slow foes down opposing Pokemon and check switch-ins. Zygarde-C is an excellent partner with Glare, allowing Calyrex-I to usually outspeed and gain free turns to set up with Swords Dance. It also deals with Marshadow lacking Ice Punch. As bulky Kyogre is Calyrex-I’s most effective wall, checks to it such as Eternatus and Kyurem-W are valuable, with the former sapping Scald PP with Pressure and the latter pressuring Kyogre with Freeze-Dry. Ferrothorn can also be used, as it frustrates Kyogre with Spikes and Knock Off. Necrozma-DM is a useful partner as well, being a Thunder Wave user and a Zacian-C check. Calyrex-I benefits Necrozma-DM by using Leech Seed on a Zacian-C switch-in switching in and offensively checking Zygarde-C. Defoggers such as Ho-Oh and Yveltal are vital, as entry hazards can heavily chip Calyrex-I every time it switches in.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

High Horsepower can be used over Swords Dance to attain perfect coverage, (comma) and is useful against threats like Necrozma-DM and Zacian-C. However, forgoing Swords Dance makes the matchup against fighting Necrozma-DM more awkward, as Calyrex-I will be forced to take Rocky Helmet damage when attempting to wear it down. A bulkier version of a Substitute set may be run alongside with Iron Defense, Body Press, and Glacial Lance in conjunction with alongside a 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe EV spread. This set has the benefit of being a sturdier check to Zygarde-C and Zekrom, though it struggles to overcome a Necrozma-DM that can Dynamax. Heavy-Duty Boots can be used over it to remove chip from Stealth Rock, allowing Calyrex-I to switch in more easily, although Leftovers synergizes well with Substitute.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Revenge Killers**: Several Pokemon are able to revenge-kill Calyrex-I, such as Zacian-C, Marshadow, Calyrex-S, and offensive Yveltal. A healthy Zacian-C can take on Calyrex-I unless it’s boosted and behind a Substitute; Spectral Thief Marshadow can threaten it regardless of Attack boosts and Substitute. Calyrex-S and Yveltal should only be used to revenge kill if Calyrex-I isn’t behind a Substitute. Most of these Pokemon appreciate having the opposing Dynamax already used, (comma) to minimize the risk of getting KOed instead.

**Kyogre**: With a typing that resists Glacial Lance while getting hit neutrally by High Horsepower, Given its Ice resistance and neutrality to High Horsepower, Kyogre can usually switch in safely and damage Calyrex-I greatly with its STAB moves. With Scald, Kyogre can pressure Calyrex-I by threatening to burn it, negating recovery from Leftovers and drastically reducing its offensive power. Rest lets Kyogre heal when Calyrex-I chips it enough to threaten a KO. Even bulky Kyogre usually outspeed Calyrex-I, forcing it out unless it is behind a Substitute.

**Entry Hazards**: Calyrex-I taking 25% from Stealth Rock means that it struggles when it’s repeatedly forced out in conjunction with entry hazards. While Stealth Rock is the most dangerous hazard for Calyrex-I, Spikes and Toxic Spikes are also to be watched out for, as extra chip and getting poisoned can force Calyrex-I to rely on Leech Seed more often.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Guard, 360582], [Fc, 511624]]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)