Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

Great Speed, high Special Attack, and Calm Mind make Raikou a threatening late-game sweeper. Substitute lets Raikou dodge status, waste Z-Moves from slower Pokemon like Poisonium Z Roserade, and PP stall Bronzong's Gryo Ball with Pressure. Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice have almost perfect neutral coverage. The only Pokemon that outrun Raikou without a Choice Scarf, Salazzle, Noivern, and Swellow, are all special attackers that can't do much damage to Raikou after a boost or two, making it tough to revenge kill. Because this set struggles with special walls like Cresselia and Ground-types like Steelix, strong Grass- and Water-types are good teammates as they can handle these threats. Additionally, Virizion has STAB Close Combat to threaten Registeel, Roserade and Golisopod can set up Spikes, Mega Blastoise and Tsareena can remove hazards with Rapid Spin, and Shaymin can absorb status with Natural Cure.

Here is a replay of SubCM Raikou sweeping: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-851507835

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, not RU QC but I've got some suggestions:

- You don't properly justify Substitute over other coverage. Stuff like Pressure + Sub PP stalling Gyro Ball from Forretress / Bronzong, Sub baiting Z-Moves and SpA drops from Leaf Storm / Draco, and Sub + CM + Speed making Raikou difficult to revenge kill, as faster Pokemon are usually either Special or choiced, all give reason for Substitute (and therefore, this set) to exist.

- Is Umbreon the most meta-relevant Raikou check? I feel like something like Cress is better rn because of Fighting types.

- I'm not sure Tyrantrum and Metagross are ideal partners as they stack offensive and defensive weakness to Grounds. At least also mention Grass wallbreakers, as they easily switch into Ground- and Electric-types. Shaymin sponges hits, Roserade lays hazards, and Tsareena spins / pivots. Water-types are also pretty good partners: Golisopod counters most Ground-types, hits Psychic / Dark SpDef walls hard, and lays Spikes, while Blastoise adds great coverage and spins. Pivots and hazard control are pretty important as you don't want to take chip damage and reveal lefties / lose the surprise factor as Specs or Z.

- Finally, I have a replay of me using SubCM Raikou to set up on Porygon2 for a sweep: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-851507835

I recognize that these are a lot of suggestions. I'll leave it to the writer and QC team to pick and choose which ones you all want to implement.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
pow

add remove (comments)
Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

Great Speed, high Special Attack,(AC) and access to Calm Mind make Raikou a very threatening late-game sweeper. Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice have almost perfect neutral coverage. Substitute lets Raikou dodge status, waste Z-(add hyphen)Moves from slower Pokemon like Poisonium Z Roserade, and lets it PP stall Bronzong's Gryo Ball with Pressure. Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice have almost perfect neutral coverage. (moving this here to better match list order) The only Pokemon that outrun Raikou without a Choice Scarf,(AC) (Salazzle, Noivern,(AC) and Swellow,(AC)) are all special attackers which that can't do much damage to Raikou after a boost or 2 two, making it tough to revenge kill. Because this set does struggles with special walls like Cresselia,(RC) and Ground-types like Steelix,(comma) strong Grass- and Water-(add hyphen)types like Virizion, Roserade, Shaymin, Tsareena, Mega Blastoise and Golisopod (you mention them later) are good teammates as they can handle Ground-types these threats. Additionally, Virizion has STAB Close Combat to threaten Registeel,(comma) Roserade and Golisopod can set up Spikes,(comma) Mega Blastoise and Tsareena can remove hazards with Rapid Spin,(comma) and Shaymin can absorb status with Natural Cure.

Here is a replay of SubCM Raikou sweeping: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-851507835
GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)