Rejected Suggestion: Pokemon battle testing for players?

My suggustion to Pokemon Showdown is that they give us a automatic pokemon bot not for online plays only for battle simulations to test pokemon teams against other teams to find the weaknesses and strengths in a certain team instead of battaling people to test new teams.

what im saying is make a a new feature where you can test your own Pokémon teams on one of your own or random teams with an auto feature to see results of a battle, i think it will be more easier then battling online players that are more smart than other players

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
If you want to battle yourself, you can login under a different name in a private browsing window.
If you want to battle VS a bot, there are some that accept challenges (I dont have a list), however its honestly better experience to play vs a human since they make better choices generally.
If your worried about your ELO on your main account dropping, swap to a new account (new name) and test there.

Sole Survivor

Sepia-toned memories
is a Pre-Contributor
If you want to battle yourself, you can login under a different name in a private browsing window.
If you want to battle VS a bot, there are some that accept challenges (I dont have a list), however its honestly better experience to play vs a human since they make better choices generally.
If your worried about your ELO on your main account dropping, swap to a new account (new name) and test there.
How do you go to a private browsing window? Cuz there ARE quite a few teams I would love to try.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
How do you go to a private browsing window? Cuz there ARE quite a few teams I would love to try.
Depends on your browser, but generally theres an option in the settings menu (its called private browsing for firefox, and incognito mode for chrome). If you have trouble try googling it up.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
I see this come up a lot, but why not just battle yourself on incognito or ladder on an alt?
On the ladder, you get a better experience than battling yourself or a bot, and if you ladder on an alt it doesn't hurt the rating of your main.
A built-in bot or w/e seems too labor intensive for too little gain to me.
I'd personally be inclined to reject this but i'll leave it open in case anyone else has an issue with those approaches that bears mentioning and we can go from there.

a bot has a better quality and consistency than low ladder play, particularly in the teams department (idk how good bots are in gameplay)
but as said above, non official bots are (probably) a thing

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Thought I'd chime in with a few things since I've seen the idea of a built-in battle bot come up a lot.

In the Yu-Gi-Oh community, there are a lot of simulators that do exactly this (EDOPro, and older sims like YGOPro and YGOPercy). These are often used for deck testing after your test hands seem favourable, allowing you to check combos without fumbling in front of a real person and embarrassing yourself. It's a bit different to Pokemon, though, since turns in YGO can take an extremely long time if they're playing something like a combo deck. You could also say it's simpler since these AI tend to follow semi-set combo routes, and have set decks that they'll use, often taken from the top cut decks at national tourneys. However, I really don't know where I'd be without those AI on these simulators, as there are some horrific players you can come up against with awful decks that fold to any sort of meta strategy. These just aren't the right data I would be looking for when going into tournaments that will absolutely be populated with the best decks that I need to know the matchup for, as well as be prepared for. I understand this example can be seen as a false equivalence and isn't directly applicable to PS, but I wanted to give some examples of successful test bots on other simulators anyway.

The bad player issue can be seen on the PS low ladder as well, with the population being worse players by definition that just won't give you the right "stress testing" so to speak. You may see the odd smurf, but that's about it. The teams and players are simply suboptimal: you're not going to be fighting viable teams, nor will you be fighting players who know how to use their teams. In addition, an advanced bot (like david stone's technical machine bot or pre's pkmn.cc projects) could provide amazing insight into prediction, game sense, and how you reveal your team at the right time. I really think a lot of people here are undervaluing the strengths of reliable "stress testing" methods, like, people could really learn from something like this. Hell, you could even use sample teams from various forum threads to fine-tune the AI to the format, this is something the average PS bot can't do. Sure, it wouldn't always be updated, but having something like a custom team feature could alleviate it slightly.

It's definitely an undertaking, but I don't want to see this outright shot down either.

EDIT: One more thing, by battling an in-built bot, you can fight without your teams being seen. This is very helpful for tournament players who don't want to be scouted on the ladder. Imo, there should be an option where you cannot actually have your battles with the bot linked.

Last edited:
Thought I'd chime in with a few things since I've seen the idea of a built-in battle bot come up a lot.

In the Yu-Gi-Oh community, there are a lot of simulators that do exactly this (EDOPro, and older sims like YGOPro and YGOPercy). These are often used for deck testing after your test hands seem favourable, allowing you to check combos without fumbling in front of a real person and embarrassing yourself. It's a bit different to Pokemon, though, since turns in YGO can take an extremely long time if they're playing something like a combo deck. You could also say it's simpler since these AI tend to follow semi-set combo routes, and have set decks that they'll use, often taken from the top cut decks at national tourneys. However, I really don't know where I'd be without those AI on these simulators, as there are some horrific players you can come up against with awful decks that fold to any sort of meta strategy. These just aren't the right data I would be looking for when going into tournaments that will absolutely be populated with the best decks that I need to know the matchup for, as well as be prepared for. I understand this example can be seen as a false equivalence and isn't directly applicable to PS, but I wanted to give some examples of successful test bots on other simulators anyway.

The bad player issue can be seen on the PS low ladder as well, with the population being worse players by definition that just won't give you the right "stress testing" so to speak. You may see the odd smurf, but that's about it. The teams and players are simply suboptimal: you're not going to be fighting viable teams, nor will you be fighting players who know how to use their teams. In addition, an advanced bot (like david stone's technical machine bot or pre's pkmn.cc projects) could provide amazing insight into prediction, game sense, and how you reveal your team at the right time. I really think a lot of people here are undervaluing the strengths of reliable "stress testing" methods, like, people could really learn from something like this. Hell, you could even use sample teams from various forum threads to fine-tune the AI to the format, this is something the average PS bot can't do. Sure, it wouldn't always be updated, but having something like a custom team feature could alleviate it slightly.

It's definitely an undertaking, but I don't want to see this outright shot down either.

EDIT: One more thing, by battling an in-built bot, you can fight without your teams being seen. This is very helpful for tournament players who don't want to be scouted on the ladder. Imo, there should be an option where you cannot actually have your battles with the bot linked.
I highly agree with Plague here. PS low ladder, as someone in mid-low ladder, is some bizarro land where people just do random bullshit or make the weirdest choices. You can't really expect good decisions 1/4th of the time. Not to mention, compared to other games such as pretty much any Paradox game (which are absolutely infamous for horrible AI, might I add), an AI can definetly work and especially as a dummy to test strategies or try out some team synergies. It's a bonus if the AI also are extremely competent and as well as can inform those using it some flaws or even suggest better picks for a certain role. It's also a golden opportunity to not be influenced by low ladder which tends to be a barrier of entry to improving as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)