Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

So in a battle, the logs bold the moves used. i.e. Pikachu used Volt Tackle! How about making the Pokemon using that move bold too? Or is too redundant? Distracting?

I only bring it up because I was on mobile and spectating a battle I joined in the middle of. I wanted to see the turns in which a Pokemon was sent out and my only cues, among the sea of normal text, was the bolded move names. I was thinking how convenient it'd have been to have bolded Pokemon names too.

The new layout for the battle screen should be changed.

It has two buttons on either side of the screen, one for attack and one for switch. Hitting attack brings up the moves for the pokemon on the field, and hitting switch allows you to see your pokemon. This is changed from the old layout, where the moves for the pokemon on the field were displayed above a list of the other pokemon in your party.

The new layout is similar to the layout of the 3ds battle screen, and I can see the advantage of having a similar layout across showdown and the actual game. However, coupled with the incredibly short timer, this layout is a disaster. In Random battles, it is important to know what pokemon you are given so that you can adapt to the team on the fly. Now, the only way to examine your team is to look at it with the switch menu open and the timer running down. Previously, you were able to look at your team in between turns. In VGC and other Doubles, you have to choose twice the options every turn, on account of having two pokemon on the field. The current layout has double the menus as the old layout, and takes twice as long to select each move. With the short timer, this leaves almost no time for the careful strategizing that is so important to competitive pokemon. As for having the same layout as the games, keep in mind that we are using a mouse and keyboard, not a controller. And with a mouse and keyboard, it is more effective to have a larger menu with more options (the older layout) that multiple layers of menus (the current layout).

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and have a nice day.

The new layout for the battle screen should be changed.

It has two buttons on either side of the screen, one for attack and one for switch. Hitting attack brings up the moves for the pokemon on the field, and hitting switch allows you to see your pokemon. This is changed from the old layout, where the moves for the pokemon on the field were displayed above a list of the other pokemon in your party.

The new layout is similar to the layout of the 3ds battle screen, and I can see the advantage of having a similar layout across showdown and the actual game. However, coupled with the incredibly short timer, this layout is a disaster. In Random battles, it is important to know what pokemon you are given so that you can adapt to the team on the fly. Now, the only way to examine your team is to look at it with the switch menu open and the timer running down. Previously, you were able to look at your team in between turns. In VGC and other Doubles, you have to choose twice the options every turn, on account of having two pokemon on the field. The current layout has double the menus as the old layout, and takes twice as long to select each move. With the short timer, this leaves almost no time for the careful strategizing that is so important to competitive pokemon. As for having the same layout as the games, keep in mind that we are using a mouse and keyboard, not a controller. And with a mouse and keyboard, it is more effective to have a larger menu with more options (the older layout) that multiple layers of menus (the current layout).

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and have a nice day.
That's not a new layout. That layout is activated if the device's screen is too small.

Similarly to being able to ignore nicknames and chat while playing a Pokemon battle, I think it would be a good feature for you to be able to ignore nicknames or the chat post-game from replay.pokemonshowdown.com (especially Nicknames as they very difficult to blurr out if you were to record a YT video of your games).

So in a battle, the logs bold the moves used. i.e. Pikachu used Volt Tackle! How about making the Pokemon using that move bold too? Or is too redundant? Distracting?

I only bring it up because I was on mobile and spectating a battle I joined in the middle of. I wanted to see the turns in which a Pokemon was sent out and my only cues, among the sea of normal text, was the bolded move names. I was thinking how convenient it'd have been to have bolded Pokemon names too.
Yeah, it would kinda throw people off.

Similarly to being able to ignore nicknames and chat while playing a Pokemon battle, I think it would be a good feature for you to be able to ignore nicknames or the chat post-game from replay.pokemonshowdown.com (especially Nicknames as they very difficult to blurr out if you were to record a YT video of your games).
You already can do that.

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
Add a request a draw button. Its incredibly annoying playing when we have a endless battle and have to play to 1000 turns to draw. Also make it where if you draw with someone after requesting draw/1000 turns that you dont gain or lose points, as today I lost 12 points in a draw because I was 200 points higher on ladder.

Kalalokki

360 suit grind
is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
Add a request a draw button. Its incredibly annoying playing when we have a endless battle and have to play to 1000 turns to draw. Also make it where if you draw with someone after requesting draw/1000 turns that you dont gain or lose points, as today I lost 12 points in a draw because I was 200 points higher on ladder.
As for a request draw feature, it's been discussed plenty of times before in the Policy Review subforum to combat endless battles, but no real consensus has been reached on the matter. But not losing points after a tie would lead to people abusing it by either stalling out games/requesting a tie against friends or others just because the matchup wasn't ideal or something similar, ties are to prevent games from going on for a really long time regardless of the reason for it taking that long.

You already can do that.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oumonotype-82345404 can you find the button?

Can it not be microscopic? Man, before you comment can you please
A. Read my post completely
B. Check the crap for yourself (Because I wouldn't have posted if I didn't... I hate going on Smogon.)

It doesn't exist... flat out..
You Can
Change to Light Mode or Dark Mode
Turn Music on or off
Switch Sides
Skip turns / Reverse / Reset
Change Speed

You Cannot
Hide Nicknames Post-Battle via Replay
Hide Chat Post-Battle via Replay

But what makes this most disappointing, is both features exist in live-battle... So i'm wondering if replays would use the same coding to hide nicknames as live battles, if they were able to actually hide nicknames... if so that's just kind of pathetic...

Last edited:
somtime I would like to play monotype but with the UU banlist .unfortunatly this is impossible (exept in tournaments) we could optimize the tier selecting menu and get something like this
sugestion.PNG
here for exemple I am playing Any ability + stabmons move with the RU clause. yes for that one you can actualy ask another player in a chatroom but there is no way to play random monotype

(edit) also I know that there won't be ladder for those that are very specific and that double 1V1 double make no sense but i would still be a great way to deleat double OU/double UU/double...(same with gens)

Last edited:
While that UI does look quite nice and so easily applying tiers to metas sounds quite fun, my concern is nonstandard two-part ladders like that being really dead.

Being able to hide chat in replays sounds quite convenient.

somtime I would like to play monotype but with the UU banlist .unfortunatly this is impossible (exept in tournaments) we could optimize the tier selecting menu and get something like this View attachment 101033 here for exemple I am playing Any ability + stabmons move with the RU clause
While that UI does look quite nice and so easily applying tiers to metas sounds quite fun, my concern is nonstandard two-part ladders like that being really dead.

Being able to hide chat in replays sounds quite convenient.
I would assume that would be for challenge matches. Not everyone can make a groupchat every time they want to challenge in a different format. Of note, however, rom.psim.us does have a whole bunch of these combination metagames or obscure metagames, and for many of these you can arrange with other players. For instance, you could ask for a monotype uu match in monotype chat, or aaa stabmons in Other Metagames, and you might get someone interested in playing on a side server or in custom game.

I would be in support for a clan system. It would add something new to Showdown, and could create new competitions and Team vs Team friendlies, plus would be relatively easy to implement as far as I can tell.

Other than that, support for Opera Mini would be nice, as especially older Android versions had issues to enter Showdown on Phone (as long as you didn´t decide to use one of the laggy and buggy browsers with flash that supported the desktop version instead of the mobile version).

Is there a way for Showdown to implement the official VGC timer for the VGC 2018 ladder?

I'm assuming that the "don't post metagame suggestions" doesn't apply to this because I'm not suggesting a metagame, but if I need to move this to a different thread let me know.

Is there a way for Showdown to implement the official VGC timer for the VGC 2018 ladder?

I'm assuming that the "don't post metagame suggestions" doesn't apply to this because I'm not suggesting a metagame, but if I need to move this to a different thread let me know.
The problem with implementing the official VGC timer is that showdown's move animations don't match those on cart (and other time consuming things), the timer would therefore not be an accurate representation of the battle timer you would have in game.

I think that a command that would allow users to propose a tie would be useful in niche cases. There are sometimes very long stall games, and occaisonally both players can set aside their innate thirst for delicious ladder points and decide that they don't want to spend the next 14 hours playing a game of mons. Currently, you need to find a leader to come and /forcetie the battle. I think that a command like /proposetie would be helpful for times like this, or maybe some other irregular times in tours. The command should probably have a cooldown time so that players can't spam it. There could be 3 commands: /proposetie, /accepttie, and /denytie. /proposetie should have a 3-5 minute cooldown per user. /accepttie should ask for confirmation and require you to send it twice. I don't think this is very important, but I also don't think it's controversial or hard to implement.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
Community Leader
I think that a command that would allow users to propose a tie would be useful in niche cases. There are sometimes very long stall games, and occaisonally both players can set aside their innate thirst for delicious ladder points and decide that they don't want to spend the next 14 hours playing a game of mons. Currently, you need to find a leader to come and /forcetie the battle. I think that a command like /proposetie would be helpful for times like this, or maybe some other irregular times in tours. The command should probably have a cooldown time so that players can't spam it. There could be 3 commands: /proposetie, /accepttie, and /denytie. /proposetie should have a 3-5 minute cooldown per user. /accepttie should ask for confirmation and require you to send it twice. I don't think this is very important, but I also don't think it's controversial or hard to implement.
This idea was rejected before, instead if neither player moves, and the timer hits 0, the game will be a tie.

This idea was rejected before, instead if neither player moves, and the timer hits 0, the game will be a tie.
Why was it rejected? This prevents situations in which both players agree and then one decides to click a move with 5 seconds on the clock and win by timer. I can't think of any potential issues with implementing a feature that speeds up and ensures the tie. There isn't anything to abuse, since both players have to agree and they can do the same thing manually. The issue with agreeing to the manual stallout right now is that both people have to trust that the other won't try to trick them at the last second.

Edit: Paycard blarghlfarghl thought you might enjoy this :]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)