Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Tiksi

prepare for explosive flame
is a Battle Server Moderator
Badges. When a player meets a condition, such as winning a tournament or reaching a certain ladder rank, the corresponding badge is added to their account as a purely aesthetic reminder of the challenges they have risen to. Possibly add the ability for players to make and gift badges of their own, but this is much more tricky and could easily put unwanted stress on the server, maybe restrict it to mods?
I can see the appeal, especially if it was shown at these (maybe above the battle ranks?) to both have space for descriptions and be less ostentatious to people not looking for it, but my first reaction is that it'd be a lot of extra hassle for main server (massive number of users would mean both that giving would prob need to be staff+only, and they'd have to do it for a massive number of people) and better suited for a side server.

A new game mode that is similar to Pokemon Stadium. Fight against the fan favorite gym leaders with their mono-type teams but the teams are built to be the best of the best. Do an elite four and all and a Red battle to unlock some new avatar or account customizable thing. Lmk what you think!

I can see the appeal, especially if it was shown at these (maybe above the battle ranks?) to both have space for descriptions and be less ostentatious to people not looking for it, but my first reaction is that it'd be a lot of extra hassle for main server (massive number of users would mean both that giving would prob need to be staff+only, and they'd have to do it for a massive number of people) and better suited for a side server.
Thats a good idea. Your also right about the server hassle. A possible second option would be to store them with cookies much like teams are, but that would mean that some wouldn't have access to the feature, and unless there was some was to compress and store the data, once cookies got wiped or they logged on on a different computer, their badges would be missing.

Imma be honest but bear in mind this is only a minor thing, i feel like some of the polls that you guys have on the website tend to have some either really stupid questions like False_____ (fill in the blank) or a reasonable question but with some stupid answers like (what am i even answering this poll for). granted having some fun and silly questions is nice way to enjoy the server aside from having serious questions like what real-life location do you think the next gen of pokemon games will be based off, but i feel like there's way too many polls that either have stupid questions or stupid answers very often. Please get rid of these stupid questions/answers or try not to post said polls with stupid answers or questions too often.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
Community Leader
Imma be honest but bear in mind this is only a minor thing, i feel like some of the polls that you guys have on the website tend to have some either really stupid questions like False_____ (fill in the blank) or a reasonable question but with some stupid answers like (what am i even answering this poll for). granted having some fun and silly questions is nice way to enjoy the server aside from having serious questions like what real-life location do you think the next gen of pokemon games will be based off, but i feel like there's way too many polls that either have stupid questions or stupid answers very often. Please get rid of these stupid questions/answers or try not to post said polls with stupid answers or questions too often.
Polls for each room are decided by the room staff, Id ask the room owners of the specific rooms that have these polls if you have concerns.

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
Make special profile symbols when a user is globally banned, permalocked, permabanned, also add help descriptions for /globaldeauth, /globaldedriver, /globaldemod, /globaldevoice, /globaldeleader, /globaldeadmin, /forcelock, /forceban also add the command: "/forceweeklock".
Also permit the users to move the private-message windows, so users can organizate the private-messages windows also when minimized.
Also fix the bugs/errors on the Windows program of Pokémon Showdown.

Last edited:

Austin

Schismatic
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
Make special profile symbols when a user is globally banned, permalocked, permabanned, also add help descriptions for /globaldeauth, /globaldedriver, /globaldemod, /globaldevoice, /globaldeleader, /globaldeadmin, /forcelock, /forceban also add the command: "/forceweeklock".
Also permit the users to move the private-message windows, so users can organizate the private-messages windows also when minimized.
Also fix the bugs/errors on the Windows program of Pokémon Showdown.
Permabanned and banned users cannot join the server so they don’t need a symbol. Permalocked users are just locked users who are locked for “forever” and they don’t need a symbol to make them feel “special.” There already are help descriptions for promoting users and we don’t need more considering side servers almost always alter their config file so their auth groups can promote different groups than on main and the auth on the main server are already much aware of their capabilities.

Suggestion (I may not be on the right forum): to reproduce maximally the "retro effect" on formats of the old generations ([Gen 1] OU, [Gen 3] UU or [Gen 5] Uber), we use the sprites and the backgrounds of the time (until then, nothing surprising). Is it possible to also have the cries of the time (before the remastering in gen 6)? With these recognizable sounds of all (Pikachu, Kyogre, Reshiram or Musharna). It seems to me that the cries on Showdown have been replaced only in 2016 (so I guess they are perfectly recoverable). It's obviously a bit cosmetic but if we can further optimize the old formats, Showdown can only be better

Last edited:
I'd like to suggest some things;

Leaderboard
Leaderboards are super useful for many rooms I can imagine and it'd be cool to have this be a server feature, rather than a bot specific one.

Link approval
Can there be an example of the picture that has been requested for approval? It's kind of tedious to constantly click the link to see if the picture is appropriate or not. Maybe have it be the way it is now, but have it private before you approve it so it would only be visible to staff.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
Community Leader
Leaderboard
Leaderboards are super useful for many rooms I can imagine and it'd be cool to have this be a server feature, rather than a bot specific one.
I like this idea, can you elaborate how it would work? Would it store data on the server (in json (permanent) or just in a variable (till the next chat hotpatch/restart)), or would data be input into a command by a bot/person?

The mafia room has a leaderboard for their plugin that I could reuse as a global thing. (/mafia lb)

Polls for each room are decided by the room staff, Id ask the room owners of the specific rooms that have these polls if you have concerns.
It's only a minor concern so it's not that big a deal. i wouldn't worry about it at all. Besides i like some of the humorous questions and answers you lots come up with

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
I have a nice suggestions:
-A vanish mode for Global Leaders and up, though they can blockpms, disable highlights, and/or go on an alt also be invisible on any room, any help room and like they are offline.
-And add a option to copy someone team on Pokémon Showdown.
-Add a gen filter for /learn, so /learn mon, move, gen will work.

Last edited:
I like this idea, can you elaborate how it would work? Would it store data on the server (in json (permanent) or just in a variable (till the next chat hotpatch/restart)), or would data be input into a command by a bot/person?

The mafia room has a leaderboard for their plugin that I could reuse as a global thing. (/mafia lb)
We use Scrappie's leaderboard in The Cafe for our custom metagame "Foodmons". This is a meta where we used to score as winner, 2nd place and participant. I think it'd be cool to have a command track a tournament which would be useful for the Tournaments room or tiering rooms and have customizable point yields. Where you decide who gets how many points.

Then probably give roomauth the ability to add, subtract and edit the overall leaderboards. Including adding columns like how the Mafia LB currently has the name and the points. We in The Cafe tracked Name, Points, Winner, 2nd Place, Participant and then an open column for additional notes for example for listing alts or so. Not sure if I am requesting too much but I think if you can slightly adjust Mafia lb, you're near my end goal already. Though I will admit I know 0 about coding, so you can fill that in better than I can.

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
Add help descriptions for /uptime.
Also please add cookie ban as a form to improve ban & mutes, as an example when a user is punished in any shape or form, they account, IP and cookies gets punished.
Use VPNBlocker for block VPN on Pokémon Showdown (is mucho better than the actual, much VPNs aren´t blocked on PS).

Last edited:
I have two suggestions:

1) remove the short disconnect timer/make it longer. This has been suggested multiple times, but hasn't been done yet, despite being such a simple change to the code.

2) make Smogon and Showdown compliant to GPDR.

Then probably give roomauth the ability to add, subtract and edit the overall leaderboards.
If Leaderboards were implemented, having the ability to add/subtract points/score would be really important especially for the Tournaments Room considering we are often needing to remove illegitimately gained points via collusion and similar issues - which becomes especially important during our Smogon room event qualification periods as all room tours contribute towards qualification.

Also, I would like to suggest that if Leaderboards were implemented to rooms that they be optional to Room Owners on a room-by-room basis as opposed to mandatory

I apologise if any of what I just said was already intended

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
I have more suggestions!
Add an option to download replays from Pokémon Showdown´s replay website.
Add a option to copy other user team if he had the "Permit copy my team" option enabled.
Add more help descriptions to commands like /globaldeauth, /uptime, /globalde(group) and more.
Improve global ban looking (to a better one that covers all the screen).
Make PS! privacy policy compliant with European GPDR.
Add colours to global staff when used /auth command (the image below is an example from other PS server, I don´t advertising it just using it as example) for Admin/Leaders Bold and Italic name letters, for the rest of the staff Bold name letters with their correspond color name.
bandicam 2018-06-07 08-00-41-551.jpg

hope you enjoy my suggestions! :)

Last edited:
Yes but that is not the definition to "download" the replay, I think is best to entirely download the replay in .avi or .mp4
The point of saving it as an HTML file is to get the comments along with the battle. I'm not entirely sure if you could simply save the video itself, although it sounds like something that would have to be added by site staff.

I'd think that storing it as a variable that can be reset would be best as a JSON file would get very, very large and would be a pain to load after a server reset. It might be annoying to have a leaderboard wipe anytime a reset happens, but I think it's the more efficient option.

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
The point of saving it as an HTML file is to get the comments along with the battle. I'm not entirely sure if you could simply save the video itself, although it sounds like something that would have to be added by site staff.
mm I don´t think that lol, in that case they can add a option to download the video without comments, and to download it with comments pasted at the right of the video, a mix video it will be nice, also nice opinion and in what time PS and Smogon will complaint with GPDR?

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
Community Leader
Yes but that is not the definition to "download" the replay, I think is best to entirely download the replay in .avi or .mp4
The battles you see on PS and the replay viewer are HTML, not a video, thats why they are dowloaded as HTML.
in what time PS and Smogon will complaint with GPDR?
I am not a lawyer but this is what I think:
Article 17(1)(a) States:
1. The data subject shall have the right to obtain from the controller the erasure of personal data concerning him or her without undue delay and the controller shall have the obligation to erase personal data without undue delay where one of the following grounds applies:

(a) the personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed;
and this covers our usage of personal information (IP addresses) to enforce punishments.
http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/article-17-right-to-erasure-'right-to-be-forgotten'-GDPR.htm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)