Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

in-game items for Custom Games sounds quite amusing and interesting, but if it would be allowed (and it might not be if custom still is supposed to replicate wifi battling, just absent the legality checks that don't affect mechanics present for things like AG) coding in the items/effects/priorities/interactions/legalities as well as an interface to bring and use them with is probably more work for an end without much "practical" value than a developer would be willing to commit to it.
Those are not usable during normal Wi-Fi play, which the simulator is based on, so that won't happen for AG at least. Might be something for some other special metagame but I don't think that's a priority for any developer to make really.
Well, if anyone is ever looking for anything to do, that would be wonderful. There's a hack I want to make one day; and there's not really a way to play test the later battles without being able to have those sorts of matches myself :(

A description space for each team would be super nice. Like some way to write / review a description for each team.

This would be nice for a lot of things, especially:
Writing weaknesses and strengths of each team
Noting what to work on
How a team can be used
Organizational purposes

This feature would be especially useful with people who have dozens of teams, as it allows people to review the main points of a team when returning to the team after a long time.

Somewhat minor complaint with how tournaments work
tourbefore.PNG

This is the room scoreboard for 1v1 before the most recent official tournament as of posting this.
tourafter.PNG

And this is just after the tournament finished. The user lavaman65 changed devices while waiting for the opponent on the other side of the bracket to catch up, and ended up being forced onto this default Guest account. I tried to see if having him play his match outside of the tournament and dq'ing the loser could work, but it did nothing, and lavaman was instead removed from the tournament as if he never entered, as you can see by his record remaining the same.

My suggestion to combat this is to make tournaments based on usernames instead of IP addresses, and to make it so that unregistered and non-autoconfirmed accounts cannot join tournaments, so that people can't screw around with the system.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
Community Leader
Somewhat minor complaint with how tournaments work
View attachment 122317
This is the room scoreboard for 1v1 before the most recent official tournament as of posting this.
View attachment 122318
And this is just after the tournament finished. The user lavaman65 changed devices while waiting for the opponent on the other side of the bracket to catch up, and ended up being forced onto this default Guest account. I tried to see if having him play his match outside of the tournament and dq'ing the loser could work, but it did nothing, and lavaman was instead removed from the tournament as if he never entered, as you can see by his record remaining the same.

My suggestion to combat this is to make tournaments based on usernames instead of IP addresses, and to make it so that unregistered and non-autoconfirmed accounts cannot join tournaments, so that people can't screw around with the system.
Hi, the system is actually based on usernames not IPs. IPs are only used to prevent alts from joining the tournament. Heres probably what happened based on your description:

lavaman65 wanted to change to a different device, so he logged out. PS reset his name since he logged out. So for example, his name is now Guest 34

He logs into lavaman on the new device, with a new guest number. eg: its now lavaman65. PS can't tell these users are the same because the names don't match (guest 34 !== lavaman65). Thats why the tournament didn't recognize he was a part of it.

User merge code for reference: https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/users.js#L873-L897

Hi, the system is actually based on usernames not IPs. IPs are only used to prevent alts from joining the tournament. Heres probably what happened based on your description:

lavaman65 wanted to change to a different device, so he logged out. PS reset his name since he logged out. So for example, his name is now Guest 34

He logs into lavaman on the new device, with a new guest number. eg: its now lavaman65. PS can't tell these users are the same because the names don't match (guest 34 !== lavaman65). Thats why the tournament didn't recognize he was a part of it.

User merge code for reference: https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/users.js#L873-L897
Fair enough. But is there no way to prevent PS from resetting your name upon logging out? Mostly in regards to maintaining your position in tournaments.

I suggest logging into the new device before logging out of the old one.
Actually that doesn't quite work because nowadays the log out button disconnects all of your devices, so he just needs to avoid logging out until after the tournament has finished. If he wants to close the other device without leaving it logged in then use a browser that supports incognito or private browsing.

I'd like to suggest another feature to silence annoying spectators in battle rooms. Even though there is modchat and modjoin, there's not really a feature to single out individual spectators. I think there should be like a mute feature that battlers can use on specific spectators. There is an ignore spectators button and battlers can set up modchat, but that forces you to ignore all spectators and you have to manually promote users for them to speak with modchat enabled. And if the situation worsens, there should be a way to kick a specific user from spectating the battle after they have joined. This would be useful if you forget to make the battle invite only beforehand, or if you invite someone and you no longer want them to spectate for whatever reason.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
Community Leader
I'd like to suggest another feature to silence annoying spectators in battle rooms. Even though there is modchat and modjoin, there's not really a feature to single out individual spectators. I think there should be like a mute feature that battlers can use on specific spectators. There is an ignore spectators button and battlers can set up modchat, but that forces you to ignore all spectators and you have to manually promote users for them to speak with modchat enabled. And if the situation worsens, there should be a way to kick a specific user from spectating the battle after they have joined. This would be useful if you forget to make the battle invite only beforehand, or if you invite someone and you no longer want them to spectate for whatever reason.
/ignore [username], /kick is not a command due to the fact that its pretty easy and tempting to abuse it (kick someone as a joke) w/o much consequence.

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
Make all PS! punishments by IPv4, username, userid, cookies, Mac Adress, IPv6 (this includes the Mac Adress) to stop people evading bans, also kick VPN users from the server instance of autolocking them (eg. Kick screen: VPN is not allowed on Pokémon Showdown! Please disable it and log in).

IPv4, username, userid
already in place
pointless when anyone can just open a new tab or clear their history to evade
not even visible to the server
IPv6 (this includes the Mac Adress)
ipv6 isnt supported by ps
kick VPN users from the server instance of autolocking them
why should vpn users not be allowed to play?

Vacedit: this is not april fools... if it was it'd be lousy

Do not post metagame, tiering, or any non-PS suggestions here.

Post your suggestions for improving Showdown here! Suggestions posted in this thread will be archived in the OP - so be sure to read through it first before posting your suggestion and do not post previously-suggested ideas. Please be aware that we are not taking room suggestions. Note that this isn't a discussion thread.

Common suggestions that are already being worked on:

- Friends list
- Offline PMs
- Saving teams on your account
- Multi battles and free-for-all

Common suggestions that will never happen:

- Option to change username color

Common suggestions in which the answer is complicated:

- Mobile app (we'll make the web app better and more mobile-app-like, but a real mobile app is not happening)

- ability to /ignorepms of a user while still seeing their messages in chatrooms (especially helpful with roomauth)
- Implement a more advanced find-a-user system, ie. search that allows you to see all usernames that have the specific word mentioned in it.
- ability to type /clear into a pm box and just clear all pms from that user as opposed to /clearpms clearing them from every user
- Notifications when a user goes offline/comes online
- group pms
- Allow modnotes to highlight staff members (potentially including "/hl add, notes:" for highlights for any notes.)
- Room specific highlights
- add parameters to modlog so you can prevent certain things from showing up such as /modlog lobby, !poll, !tour, !uno
- allow Voices + Drivers to use the minigame option commands (Uno and Hangman) similar to how Drivers could set up tournaments.
- allow room owners to add custom room ranks such as elite four
- a way for roomstaff to call globals when a room would be left authless
- /roomprojects command similar to /roomevents
- /poll edit command to fix mistakes in polls
- add time remaining column to /roomevents
- make /warn show autoconfirmed alts like muting/locking/banning someone does
- option to disable highlights + notifications from declares as well as html boxes/showimage
- allow room owners the option to allow mods to edit/add /roomevents
- notes feature on teambuilder
- a feature in the teambuilder where common sets pop up when you enter a pokemon
- remove suggested spreads button or improve them
- make a way to choose your HP type without having the move HP.
- ability to hide certain formats from showing when you do /rank
- Increase number of rooms you can autojoin
- add pokepast.es to link whitelist (used in a bunch of rooms)
- ability to change text size
- improve color of scrollbars and teambuilder boxes to better match dark mode
- make hidden avatars not reset each time you log on
- implement pokeballs - useful for certain pokemon which in game can only be obtained with a certain ball.
- have it show the speed of a pokemon after it would mega evolve in randbats by hovering over it

- refresh button on ladder screen
- show move effectiveness on moves like they do in sumo - if this is added, also make an option to disable it
- longer disconnect timer (people complaining that the timer does not give you enough time to reconnect if you dc)
- command such as /pokedex pikchu, to show pokedex entries for a pokemon
- make /hl delete require confirmation
- make /bch permanent
- have EV yield appear on /dt
- add unreleased parameter to /ds
- option to make icons not show with /ds
- In search replays, add an option to search for a specific pokemon being used in battles
- make <<replay>> link to the replays.pokemonshowdown.com
- in tournaments, have previous generations specify the gen. So rather than "UU tournament" it'd be "[Gen 6]UU tournament".
- ability to toggle tour notifications per room
- save the banlist from named tours so that they can be set quickly and easily
- a way for participants to easily see what the autodq is set at in a tour without having to scroll up in chat
- ability to see the full tour name on mobile, as it is currently blocked by user count
- have commands to be able to scroll a tour bracket, helpful for mobile users
- Ability to change name color
- Ability to use the /join command to join multiple rooms at once
- emotes in chat

- character counter in messages to show how many characters you have remaining.
- less sensitive caps/stretch filter
- See someone's peak on the ladder
- chat button not being grayed out when you click on your own name, or make it more obvious people can pm themselves
- After voting on polls make the option you voted more noticeable than it is, perhaps an asterisk or underline
- way to avoid being highlighted by tournaments without ignoring them completely
- add other language support
- link ps account to twitter
- return of seasonals
- warning that private replays can't be searched for
- freeze decay on inactive ladders

implemented | planned | Probably not
We cannot guarantee that suggestions will be implemented.
can you please try to make a rotation battle mode

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
already in place

pointless when anyone can just open a new tab or clear their history to evade

not even visible to the server

ipv6 isnt supported by ps

why should vpn users not be allowed to play?
Mmm... I understand but the IPv6 contains the whole MAC Adress, and why is not visible in the server? they need to improve his Software, banning cookies helps because no much people knows how to delete it, cookies punishments is a great idea but I think is already added because in the Privacy Policy says that "PS! uses cookies to apply punishments" so I need to ask Staff if this is true (HoeenHero) thank you for help.
PostData: VPN users really don´t need the priviledge to play, mostly of that users evade bans, and the whole evaders uses VPN to harrass staff (when locked is the only thing you can do), so is best that PS! apply an autoban instance of an autolock.
PostData2: IPv6 punishments is the next step to stop evading (is really easy to evade).

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
Community Leader
"PS! uses cookies to apply punishments"
PS Privacy Policy said:
Information about your computer (such as your IP address and cookies) will be used to enforce mutes and bans.
So yes, we may use both, though IPs are far more reliable than cookies (even with their flaws).

On IPv6 addresses: Not everyone has an IPv6 address, so i'm unsure how feasible it is to use them at this time.
I'm very aware that evasion is possible, and how it works. Though we do what we can to prevent evasion (such as autolocking VPNs).
On VPNs: Not all VPNs are used to evade, and for those who do try to evade end up unable to speak in chats. Staff members can, and do, ignore or ban locked users who spam their PMs. We feel this prevents them from causing trouble. If one or more staff members feel this should be changed, they can propose a change of policy in the staff forums and/or room.

Hi !! I have a minor suggestion for the Custom Battles, and it is allow to customize the pokemon's stats with the IVs and EVs, let me explain:
golem.png

Similar to how you can edit the Import/Export text and have a level 9999 pokemon, you can edit EVs and IVs, increasing them to any number, and see what new stats it gives to the pokemon.
But if you start the Custom Battle, using the mon with the edited EVs and IVs, those new stats don't keep with the poke.
lol.png

This is because if the EVs > 252 then they equal 252, and if the IVs > 31 then they equal 31, the same applies if the IVs and EVs are negative numbers, in that case they are equal to 0, you can't have such thing as ±300 EV or ±200 IV in a battle.
I think it would be great and super fun if this were implemented for the Custom Battles, after all you can have 24 pokemons in a battle with 24 moves and other crazy stuff right now, and I think this function would be more useful than being able to use a level 9999 mon.

(by the way, I apologize if there is already a way to do all this, I find nothing when I search).

I would also like being able to edit the pokemon type in the Import/Export text, just for the Custom Battles.

Last edited:
Those are not usable during normal Wi-Fi play, which the simulator is based on, so that won't happen for AG at least. Might be something for some other special metagame but I don't think that's a priority for any developer to make really.
IT used to be possible in BW however, with the "wonderr launcher" mode. If you don't remember, I won't blame you, this mode F* sucked.

You could always just start a new battle and play two at once. That way you likely won't be waiting for anyone.
Why one? True masters play 3+at once at all times! Wich by the way, please, make the windows a little more efficient. For example, WHY IN HELL you have to press Fly/Outrage/whatever you are using that spans multiple turns twice? It's not like you have a choice to do anything else!

OH, and add an option to either challenge yourself or allow a player to open two accounts at the same time. This would make testing for bugs and exploring new strategies and combos WAY easier.

Last edited:

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
Community Leader
OH, and add an option to either challenge yourself or allow a player to open two accounts at the same time. This would make testing for bugs and exploring new strategies and combos WAY easier.
Open an incognito window, private window, or another browser. You will be able to login with a different name then.

Last edited:
/ignore [username], /kick is not a command due to the fact that its pretty easy and tempting to abuse it (kick someone as a joke) w/o much consequence.
Sadly, when /kick got removed, /die (kicks yourelf out and leaves a funny message) got removed too.
Wish they re-implemented it, and make the message only visible to the user so people won't spam it to troll anymore.

That said, a fake /kick (maybe a /kill, to resonate with the good ol' /die) command, only putting a message mentioning that whoever you /kill'ed died in a random way, would be a good idea to implement too.

Kalalokki

listenin' in on that smack talk
is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
Sadly, when /kick got removed, /die (kicks yourelf out and leaves a funny message) got removed too.
Wish they re-implemented it, and make the message only visible to the user so people won't spam it to troll anymore.

That said, a fake /kick (maybe a /kill, to resonate with the good ol' /die) command, only putting a message mentioning that whoever you /kill'ed died in a random way, would be a good idea to implement too.
We don't really need joke commands serverside.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)