Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vacedit: this is not april fools... if it was it'd be lousy

Do not post metagame, tiering, or any non-PS suggestions here.

Post your suggestions for improving Showdown here! Suggestions posted in this thread will be archived in the OP - so be sure to read through it first before posting your suggestion and do not post previously-suggested ideas. Please be aware that we are not taking room suggestions. Note that this isn't a discussion thread.

Common suggestions that are already being worked on:

- Friends list
- Offline PMs
- Saving teams on your account
- Multi battles and free-for-all

Common suggestions that will never happen:

- Option to change username color

Common suggestions in which the answer is complicated:

- Mobile app (we'll make the web app better and more mobile-app-like, but a real mobile app is not happening)

- ability to /ignorepms of a user while still seeing their messages in chatrooms (especially helpful with roomauth)
- Implement a more advanced find-a-user system, ie. search that allows you to see all usernames that have the specific word mentioned in it.
- ability to type /clear into a pm box and just clear all pms from that user as opposed to /clearpms clearing them from every user
- Notifications when a user goes offline/comes online
- group pms
- Allow modnotes to highlight staff members (potentially including "/hl add, notes:" for highlights for any notes.)
- Room specific highlights
- add parameters to modlog so you can prevent certain things from showing up such as /modlog lobby, !poll, !tour, !uno
- allow Voices + Drivers to use the minigame option commands (Uno and Hangman) similar to how Drivers could set up tournaments.
- allow room owners to add custom room ranks such as elite four
- a way for roomstaff to call globals when a room would be left authless
- /roomprojects command similar to /roomevents
- /poll edit command to fix mistakes in polls
- add time remaining column to /roomevents
- make /warn show autoconfirmed alts like muting/locking/banning someone does
- option to disable highlights + notifications from declares as well as html boxes/showimage
- allow room owners the option to allow mods to edit/add /roomevents
- notes feature on teambuilder
- a feature in the teambuilder where common sets pop up when you enter a pokemon
- remove suggested spreads button or improve them
- make a way to choose your HP type without having the move HP.
- ability to hide certain formats from showing when you do /rank
- Increase number of rooms you can autojoin
- add pokepast.es to link whitelist (used in a bunch of rooms)
- ability to change text size
- improve color of scrollbars and teambuilder boxes to better match dark mode
- make hidden avatars not reset each time you log on
- implement pokeballs - useful for certain pokemon which in game can only be obtained with a certain ball.
- have it show the speed of a pokemon after it would mega evolve in randbats by hovering over it

- refresh button on ladder screen
- show move effectiveness on moves like they do in sumo - if this is added, also make an option to disable it
- longer disconnect timer (people complaining that the timer does not give you enough time to reconnect if you dc)
- command such as /pokedex pikchu, to show pokedex entries for a pokemon
- make /hl delete require confirmation
- make /bch permanent
- have EV yield appear on /dt
- add unreleased parameter to /ds
- option to make icons not show with /ds
- In search replays, add an option to search for a specific pokemon being used in battles
- make <<replay>> link to the replays.pokemonshowdown.com
- in tournaments, have previous generations specify the gen. So rather than "UU tournament" it'd be "[Gen 6]UU tournament".
- ability to toggle tour notifications per room
- save the banlist from named tours so that they can be set quickly and easily
- a way for participants to easily see what the autodq is set at in a tour without having to scroll up in chat
- ability to see the full tour name on mobile, as it is currently blocked by user count
- have commands to be able to scroll a tour bracket, helpful for mobile users
- Ability to change name color
- Ability to use the /join command to join multiple rooms at once
- emotes in chat

- character counter in messages to show how many characters you have remaining.
- less sensitive caps/stretch filter
- See someone's peak on the ladder
- chat button not being grayed out when you click on your own name, or make it more obvious people can pm themselves
- After voting on polls make the option you voted more noticeable than it is, perhaps an asterisk or underline
- way to avoid being highlighted by tournaments without ignoring them completely
- add other language support
- link ps account to twitter
- return of seasonals
- warning that private replays can't be searched for
- freeze decay on inactive ladders

implemented | planned | Probably not
We cannot guarantee that suggestions will be implemented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vacate, does "do not post previously-suggested ideas" apply to the old thread or only this one? I had just made a post but deleted it because I wasn't sure.
It only applies to this thread. I don't know why your post was deleted - perhaps it's something that is automatically rejected nowadays? You'll have to check with the mod who deleted your post.

Suggesting that we have a feature to search for two battles at a time. I'm unsure how difficult this is to code, or change even, but I feel it would be helpful in later hours when you're searching for a battle on a not-so-active tier but would like to play OU at the same time without canceling the search.

I've got a suggestion: Remove the cancel button.

The cancel button gives players what appears to be a useful safety net if they accidentally choose the wrong move so they do not take their time and, instead, move with haste. However, all it actually does is cause frustration, because lag almost always causes the game to choose the first move instead, dropping the player into a crippling depression. Secondly, a cancel button does not exist in-game and it'd make the simulator that much closer to the cart.

(Thanks for helping me with the wording, @seventyfive.)

Add another button to include ignoring the opponent.
I had gone back and removed my own post just to be safe, Vacate. Here's the repost.

I would like showdown to let you watch and chat in 2 rooms without constantly swapping tabs.(So both rooms are visible on your screen at once)
PS's pane system works really well for this. You can just use arrows and it instantly switches to other rooms. If you're modding, switching every few seconds works. If there are no staff in one room, you can just keep to that one and check the other one occasionally. I think the difficulties with this outweigh the pros.
Suggesting that we have a feature to search for two battles at a time. I'm unsure how difficult this is to code, or change even, but I feel it would be helpful in later hours when you're searching for a battle on a not-so-active tier but would like to play OU at the same time without canceling the search.
Can't you just look for the OU match and then look again for the other tier's match as soon as the OU one has been assigned to you? A change like this would change the aesthetics of the system and make it much more complicated just to do something that can already be done. Am I understanding your idea correctly?

I like the ignore opponent button but I'm not sure about removing the cancel button, TFL. I feel like the backlash would be too much on this one. I'll check with other staff though.

Is it possible to relocate / remove the Play / Pause-button in a replay? It's a little disturbing if you want to upload it to youtube - it takes the whole romance of a battle if a big button is in the middle of the screen :)

What about uploading own battle-backgrounds-wallpaper-pictures or suggesting nicely made fanmade ones? :)

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
Show the stats and the moves that the Pokemon learns if you're building an old gen team(Gen 1 to 5).

Maybe that would be a lot of work specially on Gen 1, Gen 2 and also Tradebacks.

Also the learn command should show Gen 1/2 learnsets. Per exemple until Gen 4, a lot of fire types don't learn Solar Beam and it says: "X Pokemon learns Solar beam". I think it should say: "X Pokemon learns Solar Beam starting from Gen 4"

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
I posted in the prev thread, might as well post here cos it got no respone:
An addition to /dt so that we can check details about a move/mon/item in a specific gen e.g.

/dt bite,gen 3---->shows it as special and w/e it's details are
/dt alakazam,gen 4----> it got a +10 in spdef in this gen iirc, this wont show that +10, but rather it's stats in bw
/dt garchomp,gen 3---->would just say it didnt exist

Would be really helpful when building an old gen team.

What about uploading own battle-backgrounds-wallpaper-pictures or suggesting nicely made fanmade ones? :)
Because the client has to be downloaded every time a browser opens the page, adding additional backgrounds puts extra stain on the server. You can, however, use a tool such as stylish, or if you're a little more tech savvy, it's also possible to download your own copy of the client through github and insert your own backgrounds locally. If you have any specific backgrounds you would like to recommend (as well as being able to offer rights for use of said background) feel free to do so, but keep in mind that adding backgrounds might not be the best use of server resources.

valetta

Banned deucer.
Seeing as how PS! tries to stay as true to the cartridge games as possible I'd like for it to have some sort of icon on team preview kinda like wifi where it shows you whether your oponent's mons are holding items or not. This would also kinda help with determining what kind of set your opponent is using (i.e. Archeops in nu which can run no item defog and sash lead)

Because the client has to be downloaded every time a browser opens the page, adding additional backgrounds puts extra stain on the server. You can, however, use a tool such as stylish, or if you're a little more tech savvy, it's also possible to download your own copy of the client through github and insert your own backgrounds locally. If you have any specific backgrounds you would like to recommend (as well as being able to offer rights for use of said background) feel free to do so, but keep in mind that adding backgrounds might not be the best use of server resources.
Suggestions sound cool - are there any specific size and dimensions for the backgrounds?

Are official, ripped from the games-ish backgrounds welcome if their the ideal size?

Aeonic

we got to install microwave ovens
I suggest a random tag battle with double battle format.
We may be allowed to select partner.
Random double battles are already implemented on PS!. If you mean random multi battles (with 4 players), that probably won't happen due to server limitations and it would be difficult to code from what I've heard.

Suggestions sound cool - are there any specific size and dimensions for the backgrounds?

Are official, ripped from the games-ish backgrounds welcome if their the ideal size?
I don't think backgrounds really have a chance to be added unless the artist themselves comes forward and offers their painting for use. It's fairly easy to set up your own background though, as explained in the second half of this post: http://www.smogon.com/player/issue6/ps-tips

A friends/favorites list would be really awesome. I would like to be able to add peoples' usernames to the list and be able to see when they are online so I can chat/challenge with them. Sometimes you meet people in a battle that you really like and would like to play with them again sometime in the game. Also, the rooms change at times and people leave them for other rooms and you can lose out on friends.

kevinrocks

Merry Wanderer of the Night
Really minor thing, but is it possible for the avatars to be layed out in rows of 10 instead of 9 for easier counting for when we do /avatar #? Or if possible, would it be plausible to just put the avatar numbers by or under the avatars or maybe even just the number of the first avatar in a row at the start of the row? I think that its a minor detail that will help out.

A way to see which of the approved cloners are online in the wifi room (Or as an addition to bottt). It is a pain to search through the list and check all usernames.

Also, could there be a thing that says if the user is inactive or not at the side of the chat, as it would be useful to figure out people who are not active

Last edited:
Really minor thing, but is it possible for the avatars to be layed out in rows of 10 instead of 9 for easier counting for when we do /avatar #? Or if possible, would it be plausible to just put the avatar numbers by or under the avatars or maybe even just the number of the first avatar in a row at the start of the row? I think that its a minor detail that will help out.
Rather then counting, if you are currently selecting the avatar or can see somebody else with it, you can simply use Right Click => Copy Image Location the link you will select will have the avatar number at the end. (i.e. http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/trainers/267.png).

Alternatively, with the the avatar list open you can use inspect element and look at the button value encoded in the HTML. If you don't know what that means just use the first method. It takes about 5 seconds and is easier than counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)