Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
Hello, I have a nice suggestions:

1. Make the names appear with their respective capital letters in different showdown places (since in the modlogs and others they appear in lower case).

2. add two-step verification in pokémon showdown so that users can protect their accounts in a better way (Google Authenticator or Authy).

3. fix some command descriptions, since some are outdated or with spelling mistakes (/trustuser [username] - Trusts the user (makes them "immune" to locks). Requires: & ~) its inmune no-immune.

I hope you liked my suggestions, if you think I've been wrong in something just tell me.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
1. Make the names appear with their respective capital letters in different showdown places (since in the modlogs and others they appear in lower case).
Modlog uses userids which is a username with only lowercase letters and numbers, no spaces, symbols, or captial letters.

2. add two-step verification in pokémon showdown so that users can protect their accounts in a better way (Google Authenticator or Authy).
WIP

3. fix some command descriptions, since some are outdated or with spelling mistakes (/trustuser [username] - Trusts the user (makes them "immune" to locks). Requires: & ~) its inmune no-immune.
Its spelled correctly.

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
Modlog uses userids which is a username with only lowercase letters and numbers, no spaces, symbols, or captial letters.

WIP

Its spelled correctly.
What means "WIP" I understant the modlogs but there is no a form to show names with spaces and capital letters? also when you type /lockip a incorrect description is given (the same as /banip), thanks for read.
EDIT: is there a form to block animated avatars?
WIP means Work In Progress, ie they're working on it already
ok, thank you.

What means "WIP" I understant the modlogs but there is no a form to show names with spaces and capital letters? also when you type /lockip a incorrect description is given (the same as /banip), thanks for read.
WIP means Work In Progress, ie they're working on it already

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
Also /forcelock and others similar commands have the same /help description, if you can post new help messages or fix then is nice, is a suggestion: also fix all help messages or add new.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Also /forcelock and others similar commands have the same /help description, if you can post new help messages or fix then is nice, is a suggestion: also fix all help messages or add new.
The descriptions seem fine to me, /forcelock is a alias thats only supposed to be used when prompted by /lock (to confirm you want to lock a trusted user), /banip and /lockip also seem correct.

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
Ok, other suggestion is make all commands tab-completable so users only need to type one letter and use tabulator to complete it (or add an option to activate/deactivate the tab-completable commands) also please add a point on the help description of /bash (requieres ~ and console access) a . Point is missing; also add a button to expire all sessions of the account (except the one you are using), to close for example, your sessions on your School if you don't log out in that moment (There is no a way to show capitals letters, special symbols on modlogs? Please add it for better looking I know that is hard because is based on user ids but all is posible on Java :D).

Last edited:

pants

*dies inconveniently*
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Roomlogs aren't currently available for users who don't have staff in a subroom but have staff in the parent room, idk if they're intended to be available to them but if not, perhaps the command itself should be disabled for those users.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
Ok, other suggestion is make all commands tab-completable so users only need to type one letter and use tabulator to complete it (or add an option to activate/deactivate the tab-completable commands) also please add a point on the help description of /bash (requieres ~ and console access) a . Point is missing; also add a button to expire all sessions of the account (except the one you are using), to close for example, your sessions on your School if you don't log out in that moment (There is no a way to show capitals letters, special symbols on modlogs? Please add it for better looking I know that is hard because is based on user ids but all is posible on Java :D).
Tab completion for commands: Not really feasible for multiple reasons. 1. Tab completion is already being used for usernames 2. Tab completion is client side, commands are on the server. 3. command inputs vary alot, ex: /ds takes alot of paramaters in no particular order, /lock takes a username and a reason, and I dont really see a good way to add tab completion for them.

bash: not missing a ., we dont put a . after the list of required ranks ("console access" counts as a rank)

button to expire all sessions: did you try /logout?

modlog with captails, ect: no, we use userids to make searches work as i explained earlier. Also, we use javascript not java.

Roomlogs aren't currently available for users who don't have staff in a subroom but have staff in the parent room, idk if they're intended to be available to them but if not, perhaps the command itself should be disabled for those users.
log viewer dosent support sub rooms currently, when its checking if you have permission to view logs its checking if you can mute in the room at that time, hence why it gives you the link. But the log viewer itself is checking if your in room.auth not the parent rooms auth so it gives access denied. A log viewer refactor is planned so this should be fixed at some point.

Badges. When a player meets a condition, such as winning a tournament or reaching a certain ladder rank, the corresponding badge is added to their account as a purely aesthetic reminder of the challenges they have risen to. Possibly add the ability for players to make and gift badges of their own, but this is much more tricky and could easily put unwanted stress on the server, maybe restrict it to mods?

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Suggestion: Resetting (some) past/irrelevant/outdated ladders.

Reason & Explanation: Today, many ladders such as "gen7rualpha, gen7pokebankou, etc." remain on users' /rank output. These ladders, for the most part, are fairly irrelevant due to being replaced with modern formats "gen7ru," and "gen7ou." This could easily confuse newer players viewing another user's rank, as they wouldn't know the differences between something like "gen7ru" and "gen7rualpha." From their point of view, these formats were obviously similar, but to an unknown extent. Resetting these types of ladders could ease confusion for these newer players, plus show elo, gxe, etc. in the most modern way to display a user's skill level in certain tiers.

Clarification: I'm strictly talking about past forms of current metas and their variations (like "gen7pokebankoususpecttest, gen7pualpha, gen7pokebankou"), NOT things like Johto Classic, Sinnoh classic, etc. The reason I believe these should be exempt from a potential reset is while they do not exist anymore, they are fairly specific formats and don't resemble any existing format to a great extent. (That said, while some of the previously stated confusion among newer players could come up upon seeing a non-existent ladder on one's rank, I believe this would be less of an issue than seeing very similar formats on one's rank).

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Badges. When a player meets a condition, such as winning a tournament or reaching a certain ladder rank, the corresponding badge is added to their account as a purely aesthetic reminder of the challenges they have risen to. Possibly add the ability for players to make and gift badges of their own, but this is much more tricky and could easily put unwanted stress on the server, maybe restrict it to mods?
I can see the appeal, especially if it was shown at these (maybe above the battle ranks?) to both have space for descriptions and be less ostentatious to people not looking for it, but my first reaction is that it'd be a lot of extra hassle for main server (massive number of users would mean both that giving would prob need to be staff+only, and they'd have to do it for a massive number of people) and better suited for a side server.

A new game mode that is similar to Pokemon Stadium. Fight against the fan favorite gym leaders with their mono-type teams but the teams are built to be the best of the best. Do an elite four and all and a Red battle to unlock some new avatar or account customizable thing. Lmk what you think!

I can see the appeal, especially if it was shown at these (maybe above the battle ranks?) to both have space for descriptions and be less ostentatious to people not looking for it, but my first reaction is that it'd be a lot of extra hassle for main server (massive number of users would mean both that giving would prob need to be staff+only, and they'd have to do it for a massive number of people) and better suited for a side server.
Thats a good idea. Your also right about the server hassle. A possible second option would be to store them with cookies much like teams are, but that would mean that some wouldn't have access to the feature, and unless there was some was to compress and store the data, once cookies got wiped or they logged on on a different computer, their badges would be missing.

Imma be honest but bear in mind this is only a minor thing, i feel like some of the polls that you guys have on the website tend to have some either really stupid questions like False_____ (fill in the blank) or a reasonable question but with some stupid answers like (what am i even answering this poll for). granted having some fun and silly questions is nice way to enjoy the server aside from having serious questions like what real-life location do you think the next gen of pokemon games will be based off, but i feel like there's way too many polls that either have stupid questions or stupid answers very often. Please get rid of these stupid questions/answers or try not to post said polls with stupid answers or questions too often.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
Imma be honest but bear in mind this is only a minor thing, i feel like some of the polls that you guys have on the website tend to have some either really stupid questions like False_____ (fill in the blank) or a reasonable question but with some stupid answers like (what am i even answering this poll for). granted having some fun and silly questions is nice way to enjoy the server aside from having serious questions like what real-life location do you think the next gen of pokemon games will be based off, but i feel like there's way too many polls that either have stupid questions or stupid answers very often. Please get rid of these stupid questions/answers or try not to post said polls with stupid answers or questions too often.
Polls for each room are decided by the room staff, Id ask the room owners of the specific rooms that have these polls if you have concerns.

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
Make special profile symbols when a user is globally banned, permalocked, permabanned, also add help descriptions for /globaldeauth, /globaldedriver, /globaldemod, /globaldevoice, /globaldeleader, /globaldeadmin, /forcelock, /forceban also add the command: "/forceweeklock".
Also permit the users to move the private-message windows, so users can organizate the private-messages windows also when minimized.
Also fix the bugs/errors on the Windows program of Pokémon Showdown.

Last edited:

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Make special profile symbols when a user is globally banned, permalocked, permabanned, also add help descriptions for /globaldeauth, /globaldedriver, /globaldemod, /globaldevoice, /globaldeleader, /globaldeadmin, /forcelock, /forceban also add the command: "/forceweeklock".
Also permit the users to move the private-message windows, so users can organizate the private-messages windows also when minimized.
Also fix the bugs/errors on the Windows program of Pokémon Showdown.
Permabanned and banned users cannot join the server so they don’t need a symbol. Permalocked users are just locked users who are locked for “forever” and they don’t need a symbol to make them feel “special.” There already are help descriptions for promoting users and we don’t need more considering side servers almost always alter their config file so their auth groups can promote different groups than on main and the auth on the main server are already much aware of their capabilities.

Suggestion (I may not be on the right forum): to reproduce maximally the "retro effect" on formats of the old generations ([Gen 1] OU, [Gen 3] UU or [Gen 5] Uber), we use the sprites and the backgrounds of the time (until then, nothing surprising). Is it possible to also have the cries of the time (before the remastering in gen 6)? With these recognizable sounds of all (Pikachu, Kyogre, Reshiram or Musharna). It seems to me that the cries on Showdown have been replaced only in 2016 (so I guess they are perfectly recoverable). It's obviously a bit cosmetic but if we can further optimize the old formats, Showdown can only be better

Last edited:

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I'd like to suggest some things;

Leaderboard
Leaderboards are super useful for many rooms I can imagine and it'd be cool to have this be a server feature, rather than a bot specific one.

Link approval
Can there be an example of the picture that has been requested for approval? It's kind of tedious to constantly click the link to see if the picture is appropriate or not. Maybe have it be the way it is now, but have it private before you approve it so it would only be visible to staff.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
Leaderboard
Leaderboards are super useful for many rooms I can imagine and it'd be cool to have this be a server feature, rather than a bot specific one.
I like this idea, can you elaborate how it would work? Would it store data on the server (in json (permanent) or just in a variable (till the next chat hotpatch/restart)), or would data be input into a command by a bot/person?

The mafia room has a leaderboard for their plugin that I could reuse as a global thing. (/mafia lb)

Polls for each room are decided by the room staff, Id ask the room owners of the specific rooms that have these polls if you have concerns.
It's only a minor concern so it's not that big a deal. i wouldn't worry about it at all. Besides i like some of the humorous questions and answers you lots come up with

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
I have a nice suggestions:
-A vanish mode for Global Leaders and up, though they can blockpms, disable highlights, and/or go on an alt also be invisible on any room, any help room and like they are offline.
-And add a option to copy someone team on Pokémon Showdown.
-Add a gen filter for /learn, so /learn mon, move, gen will work.

Last edited:

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I like this idea, can you elaborate how it would work? Would it store data on the server (in json (permanent) or just in a variable (till the next chat hotpatch/restart)), or would data be input into a command by a bot/person?

The mafia room has a leaderboard for their plugin that I could reuse as a global thing. (/mafia lb)
We use Scrappie's leaderboard in The Cafe for our custom metagame "Foodmons". This is a meta where we used to score as winner, 2nd place and participant. I think it'd be cool to have a command track a tournament which would be useful for the Tournaments room or tiering rooms and have customizable point yields. Where you decide who gets how many points.

Then probably give roomauth the ability to add, subtract and edit the overall leaderboards. Including adding columns like how the Mafia LB currently has the name and the points. We in The Cafe tracked Name, Points, Winner, 2nd Place, Participant and then an open column for additional notes for example for listing alts or so. Not sure if I am requesting too much but I think if you can slightly adjust Mafia lb, you're near my end goal already. Though I will admit I know 0 about coding, so you can fill that in better than I can.

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
Add help descriptions for /uptime.
Also please add cookie ban as a form to improve ban & mutes, as an example when a user is punished in any shape or form, they account, IP and cookies gets punished.
Use VPNBlocker for block VPN on Pokémon Showdown (is mucho better than the actual, much VPNs aren´t blocked on PS).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)