Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vacedit: this is not april fools... if it was it'd be lousy

Do not post metagame, tiering, or any non-PS suggestions here.

Post your suggestions for improving Showdown here! Suggestions posted in this thread will be archived in the OP - so be sure to read through it first before posting your suggestion and do not post previously-suggested ideas. Please be aware that we are not taking room suggestions. Note that this isn't a discussion thread.

Common suggestions that are already being worked on:

- Friends list
- Offline PMs
- Saving teams on your account
- Multi battles and free-for-all

Common suggestions that will never happen:

- Option to change username color

Common suggestions in which the answer is complicated:

- Mobile app (we'll make the web app better and more mobile-app-like, but a real mobile app is not happening)

- ability to /ignorepms of a user while still seeing their messages in chatrooms (especially helpful with roomauth)
- Implement a more advanced find-a-user system, ie. search that allows you to see all usernames that have the specific word mentioned in it.
- ability to type /clear into a pm box and just clear all pms from that user as opposed to /clearpms clearing them from every user
- Notifications when a user goes offline/comes online
- group pms
- Allow modnotes to highlight staff members (potentially including "/hl add, notes:" for highlights for any notes.)
- Room specific highlights
- add parameters to modlog so you can prevent certain things from showing up such as /modlog lobby, !poll, !tour, !uno
- allow Voices + Drivers to use the minigame option commands (Uno and Hangman) similar to how Drivers could set up tournaments.
- allow room owners to add custom room ranks such as elite four
- a way for roomstaff to call globals when a room would be left authless
- /roomprojects command similar to /roomevents
- /poll edit command to fix mistakes in polls
- add time remaining column to /roomevents
- make /warn show autoconfirmed alts like muting/locking/banning someone does
- option to disable highlights + notifications from declares as well as html boxes/showimage
- allow room owners the option to allow mods to edit/add /roomevents
- notes feature on teambuilder
- a feature in the teambuilder where common sets pop up when you enter a pokemon
- remove suggested spreads button or improve them
- make a way to choose your HP type without having the move HP.
- ability to hide certain formats from showing when you do /rank
- Increase number of rooms you can autojoin
- add pokepast.es to link whitelist (used in a bunch of rooms)
- ability to change text size
- improve color of scrollbars and teambuilder boxes to better match dark mode
- make hidden avatars not reset each time you log on
- implement pokeballs - useful for certain pokemon which in game can only be obtained with a certain ball.
- have it show the speed of a pokemon after it would mega evolve in randbats by hovering over it

- refresh button on ladder screen
- show move effectiveness on moves like they do in sumo - if this is added, also make an option to disable it
- longer disconnect timer (people complaining that the timer does not give you enough time to reconnect if you dc)
- command such as /pokedex pikchu, to show pokedex entries for a pokemon
- make /hl delete require confirmation
- make /bch permanent
- have EV yield appear on /dt
- add unreleased parameter to /ds
- option to make icons not show with /ds
- In search replays, add an option to search for a specific pokemon being used in battles
- make <<replay>> link to the replays.pokemonshowdown.com
- in tournaments, have previous generations specify the gen. So rather than "UU tournament" it'd be "[Gen 6]UU tournament".
- ability to toggle tour notifications per room
- save the banlist from named tours so that they can be set quickly and easily
- a way for participants to easily see what the autodq is set at in a tour without having to scroll up in chat
- ability to see the full tour name on mobile, as it is currently blocked by user count
- have commands to be able to scroll a tour bracket, helpful for mobile users
- Ability to change name color
- Ability to use the /join command to join multiple rooms at once
- emotes in chat

- character counter in messages to show how many characters you have remaining.
- less sensitive caps/stretch filter
- See someone's peak on the ladder
- chat button not being grayed out when you click on your own name, or make it more obvious people can pm themselves
- After voting on polls make the option you voted more noticeable than it is, perhaps an asterisk or underline
- way to avoid being highlighted by tournaments without ignoring them completely
- add other language support
- link ps account to twitter
- return of seasonals
- warning that private replays can't be searched for
- freeze decay on inactive ladders

implemented | planned | Probably not
We cannot guarantee that suggestions will be implemented.
can you please try to make a rotation battle mode

xJolteon

Banned deucer.
already in place

pointless when anyone can just open a new tab or clear their history to evade

not even visible to the server

ipv6 isnt supported by ps

why should vpn users not be allowed to play?
Mmm... I understand but the IPv6 contains the whole MAC Adress, and why is not visible in the server? they need to improve his Software, banning cookies helps because no much people knows how to delete it, cookies punishments is a great idea but I think is already added because in the Privacy Policy says that "PS! uses cookies to apply punishments" so I need to ask Staff if this is true (HoeenHero) thank you for help.
PostData: VPN users really don´t need the priviledge to play, mostly of that users evade bans, and the whole evaders uses VPN to harrass staff (when locked is the only thing you can do), so is best that PS! apply an autoban instance of an autolock.
PostData2: IPv6 punishments is the next step to stop evading (is really easy to evade).

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
"PS! uses cookies to apply punishments"
PS Privacy Policy said:
Information about your computer (such as your IP address and cookies) will be used to enforce mutes and bans.
So yes, we may use both, though IPs are far more reliable than cookies (even with their flaws).

On IPv6 addresses: Not everyone has an IPv6 address, so i'm unsure how feasible it is to use them at this time.
I'm very aware that evasion is possible, and how it works. Though we do what we can to prevent evasion (such as autolocking VPNs).
On VPNs: Not all VPNs are used to evade, and for those who do try to evade end up unable to speak in chats. Staff members can, and do, ignore or ban locked users who spam their PMs. We feel this prevents them from causing trouble. If one or more staff members feel this should be changed, they can propose a change of policy in the staff forums and/or room.

Hi !! I have a minor suggestion for the Custom Battles, and it is allow to customize the pokemon's stats with the IVs and EVs, let me explain:
golem.png

Similar to how you can edit the Import/Export text and have a level 9999 pokemon, you can edit EVs and IVs, increasing them to any number, and see what new stats it gives to the pokemon.
But if you start the Custom Battle, using the mon with the edited EVs and IVs, those new stats don't keep with the poke.
lol.png

This is because if the EVs > 252 then they equal 252, and if the IVs > 31 then they equal 31, the same applies if the IVs and EVs are negative numbers, in that case they are equal to 0, you can't have such thing as ±300 EV or ±200 IV in a battle.
I think it would be great and super fun if this were implemented for the Custom Battles, after all you can have 24 pokemons in a battle with 24 moves and other crazy stuff right now, and I think this function would be more useful than being able to use a level 9999 mon.

(by the way, I apologize if there is already a way to do all this, I find nothing when I search).

I would also like being able to edit the pokemon type in the Import/Export text, just for the Custom Battles.

Last edited:
Those are not usable during normal Wi-Fi play, which the simulator is based on, so that won't happen for AG at least. Might be something for some other special metagame but I don't think that's a priority for any developer to make really.
IT used to be possible in BW however, with the "wonderr launcher" mode. If you don't remember, I won't blame you, this mode F* sucked.

You could always just start a new battle and play two at once. That way you likely won't be waiting for anyone.
Why one? True masters play 3+at once at all times! Wich by the way, please, make the windows a little more efficient. For example, WHY IN HELL you have to press Fly/Outrage/whatever you are using that spans multiple turns twice? It's not like you have a choice to do anything else!

OH, and add an option to either challenge yourself or allow a player to open two accounts at the same time. This would make testing for bugs and exploring new strategies and combos WAY easier.

Last edited:

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
OH, and add an option to either challenge yourself or allow a player to open two accounts at the same time. This would make testing for bugs and exploring new strategies and combos WAY easier.
Open an incognito window, private window, or another browser. You will be able to login with a different name then.

Last edited:
/ignore [username], /kick is not a command due to the fact that its pretty easy and tempting to abuse it (kick someone as a joke) w/o much consequence.
Sadly, when /kick got removed, /die (kicks yourelf out and leaves a funny message) got removed too.
Wish they re-implemented it, and make the message only visible to the user so people won't spam it to troll anymore.

That said, a fake /kick (maybe a /kill, to resonate with the good ol' /die) command, only putting a message mentioning that whoever you /kill'ed died in a random way, would be a good idea to implement too.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Sadly, when /kick got removed, /die (kicks yourelf out and leaves a funny message) got removed too.
Wish they re-implemented it, and make the message only visible to the user so people won't spam it to troll anymore.

That said, a fake /kick (maybe a /kill, to resonate with the good ol' /die) command, only putting a message mentioning that whoever you /kill'ed died in a random way, would be a good idea to implement too.
We don't really need joke commands serverside.

I would like to suggest that PS application has the ability to change where the Teams Folder is located, maybe during installation if not in the options. Its something I truly believe a clean and professional application should have. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I was thinking that a parameter that would be cool to have in /ds would be 'monotyped' or 'dualtyped'. This would help when looking up Pokemon in a more specific way and help users for game rooms such as Scavengers to find a Monotyped Pokemon.

Make it so if the mobile looses signal, you don't instantly forfeit the match.
And revise the goddamn RNG... I swear it does not work the way it should. I volunteer to take a look at it myself if needed. That video game programmer degree is not just for show.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
Make it so if the mobile looses signal, you don't instantly forfeit the match.
And revise the goddamn RNG... I swear it does not work the way it should. I volunteer to take a look at it myself if needed. That video game programmer degree is not just for show.
Players have 60 seconds to reconnect after disconnecting, or less if the regular timer was under 60. (If the timer was on in the first place.) We do this so that matches without a player have an end point.

PS code is open source, heres the RNG code link if you want to check it yourself. https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/sim/prng.js

As silly as this suggestion may sound, I would like for this to some day become a reality.

I am requesting for a new room that is the Theatre room.

This room is for those who want to immerse themselves within performing arts. This is a room for those who are actors and dancers and want to have casual discussion on their careers or if they would like to be more in depth. This room aspires to:
  • Provide tips on acting and dancing technique and how to improve it.
  • Offer advice on auditions, to explain what to do and what NOT to do at an audition, and to recommend songs that compliment your voice.
  • Give fellow thespians a safe space for them to discuss their current issues within the show business.
  • Confess about the recent Broadway and Hollywood news.
  • Talk about musicals, plays, and movies that really showcase some brilliant actors and dancers and to also just have casual conversation on them.
  • Allow freedom and creativity within the serious profession of theatre.
  • Promote positivity and encourage fellow users in the chat to help each other out on acting and dancing.
This is the dream that I envision for this room. I will happily step up to be an amazing leader for the room and accommodate any users who join this chat. However, this is an effort that I cannot do alone. I will need other staff for this room because I am only really knowing in the acting department. After studying Stanislavsky, I use emotional recall to assist me in acting as I use my life experiences to my advantage. I will need other users to step up as mods that have exceptional acting and dancing knowledge and are known to take the craft of theatre as seriously as it is enjoyable. I will first need the mods to be on board on such a room and we can make this a reality! We, the thespians, will be glad for some representation by adding a room for us.

This concludes the post. I hope this receives some recognition. We may be a small community, but we are the strongest workers in our craft.

Suggestion: in the same vein as my previous proposal, I suggest as small change for the old formats the replacement of current menu sprites (since the gen 6) by oldest (gen 3 to 5). This 2012 replay clearly shows that menu sprites was replaced at the arrival of XY (and they were motionless, unlike the cartridge). If we want to optimize all the way, we can even use menu sprites of gen 2 (see this battle in Crystal) and gen 1 (see this battle in Yellow). But it's more controversial to install because they are only 37 for 251 mons in gen 2 and only 11 for 151 mons in gen 1 (the risk of confusion between mons in the interface of the Showdown battles is important). To better visualize all that, I created here the list of mons by menu sprites (for compare between generations). And finally, here we have the image bank of these famous files.

Last edited:
Please make a way so that in custom games you can rename moves (similar to how you can make your pokemon lvl 9999) like go into import export but next to the move right the name you want your move to be. i made one just as an example and it would be more fun because you can make theme teams

example:

ness (Arcanine)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Bashful Nature
- Toxic (pk cross)
- Agility (pk thunder)
- Flamethrower (pk fire)
- Dig (pk shield)

of course you can bame moves whatever you want i just personally wanted my arcanine to be like ness.... and i think this would be really cool and people would really like it

Is there a way for the battle timer to not be controlled by a single user? I've had some games where the my opponent would turn off the timer and turn back on the timer really quickly to refresh the timer and give himself extra time. I think a better modification for the PS layout would be that once a timer is turned on, neither player can touch it. I feel that this makes the most sense and hopefully this appeal gets through

Is there a way for the battle timer to not be controlled by a single user? I've had some games where the my opponent would turn off the timer and turn back on the timer really quickly to refresh the timer and give himself extra time. I think a better modification for the PS layout would be that once a timer is turned on, neither player can touch it. I feel that this makes the most sense and hopefully this appeal gets through
I have experienced similar things before, as well as not being able to turn off timer when the opponent started it even though they are lagging and I wanted to wait.
Something I think might work as a solution is either player can switch off the timer, but only after they make their move - this means you can't turn off the timer to waste more time because if the opponent has made a choice then the turn happens when you click a move and if not then it isn't a waste of time because neither player has moved. Idk maybe I missed a problem with this approach though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)