Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo.

This might be a harder suggestion considering it'd have to be precise, but I was thinking that there could be an option to choose

Type Balanced Randoms

When I say balanced randoms, I don't mean by OU or UU, but by teams. The current Random system has a chance of choosing ANY poke'mon. So you even have a chance of having 6 Fire poke'mon and the opponent having a lot of water, ground and rock poke'mon. I was hoping there could be a more organized random that'd do the following.

The Balanced Random option will have 6 Poke'mon of different types basically, but if you could be organized by type counters. (The first random is a Water>The second random is Grass or Electric>If it's Electric the next is ground and if it's leaf the next is Leaf's weakness. etc... Or it can even go in reverse where it goes by strength) I know this might be hard to program, but I was hoping some consideration would be placed.

This has already been done. The relevant thread is archived here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3509530/

Well, I'm asking that what if there's a Random version of this? And it doesn't necessarily have to be a unSTABmons match. I'm saying that it should be a match with a randomly made team (Not one you compose) and it being fair.

In a normal random game, you're given ANY random Poke'mon. But what if there were Random battles with organized team. Ones where you can't access our own chosen team.

Given how many 'bugs' are posted in the Bug thread about movepools (Especially those that are event or spinoff-only), I think it would be a fine idea to add an (optional) column in the Edit Pokemon screen that shows how a Pokemon can learn a certain move in the games and, maybe, point out if it's incompatible with something it already has in its moveset.

Even though the moveset is still checked when you create the Pokemon, it can come in handy. And most of the functionality is already implemented...

Hi, i play often to pokemon showdown, and i have usefull suggestions that for sure should be added:

1. Smart commands, like "/weaknesses" without the name of the pokemon displays the weaknesses of the pokemon in front of you in battle, and "/weaknesses me", displays the weaknesses of your current pokemon, and maybe shortcuts for commands like "/wk fairy" which would be much more faster to type and so this would reduce time within each turn, and improve gameplay experience.

2. Storing teams in localstorage is a good choice to play without registering, however, i think that being registered should permit the user to save his teams into his account so he can use them from anywhere without having to make it again or keep the txt with his team to import it on the device where he wants to play from.

3. Since winning in pokemon showdown relies in finding the best strategy, and so it goes with having the best team, i think it should be easier to duplicate a team if you want to change just one or two pokemons without having to copy and paste the text of your team, a fork or duplicate button could be quite more ergonomic, and so maybe players may induced change their team more and faster, and so progress faster.

I'm convinced those three suggestions are things that must be added asap even if there is other usefull things to add, those would greatly improve user experience when using pokemon showdown.

Maybe put a Damage calc in showdown itself and not on the intro site. Would be handy, since Im now almost never using it.

And I also hope for Rotation battles. I mean, thats the ultimate prediction game! Not only if hes gonna switch, but into which one? And should I switch if he switches? Etc etc

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe put a Damage calc in showdown itself and not on the intro site. Would be handy, since Im now almost never using it.

And I also hope for Rotation battles. I mean, thats the ultimate prediction game! Not only if hes gonna switch, but into which one? And should I switch if he switches? Etc etc
I'm not exactly sure if this answers your first question but you can do /calc in any chat room to get a link to the damage calc

Cynara

Banned deucer.
I would like to see a best of three games format added as a tournaments feature.

Best of threes are a common format for tournaments in the Smogon tournaments scene. This would allow for live tournaments with increased competitiveness, such as those held in tier forums such as weekend tournaments in the ubers subforum and also increases the variety to the tournament formats in general. I understand this could come across as time consuming and is something to consider though.

Just wanted to forward this suggestion.

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know if this would be too obnoxious (maybe each gstaff could toggle it on and off for themself?) but I'll throw it out there anyway. The idea is that whenever a public room is completely lacking staff, all global staff (or maybe just those who "subscribe" to this alert) are alerted of it, so that they can ensure nothing goes too awry. Woukd be a cool way to encourage hanging out and trying out in new rooms for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I have the mobile download app for Showdown, and I have been noticing that there are no tiers in the Pokemon lists. They're all in alphabetical order. Me, personally, I don't remember what each Pokemon is in for each tier. Maybe if you could replace the alphabetical list to a tier list like the website, then that would be great.

Any chance that all generations/tiers can be made to allow filtering tiers [when searching.choosing Pokemon]? It seems that only the current Gen [6] allows for this, even though it already has extensive coverage of each of its tiers. I've been making a slew of Gen 1 UU teams due to their relatively small pool of Pokemon to consider [I get intimidated by the sheer volume of options at higher generations/tiers], labeling them as Gen 1 OU, and want to try my hand at later Generations' non-OU tiers for the same reason, but scrolling past the increasingly populated OU/etc. tiers to get to the one I'm working out of is... tedious, if nothing else.

[Edit: I just happened upon the answer to my suggestion; One just has to change the title of one's team, specifically the first bit in brackets, such that it more accurately reflects the generation/tier it's being used for.

For example, to force a Gen 3 NU format team (out of cycle at time of writing), start up a new team, then manually edit the team's file name top start out with "[gen3nu]" (without quotes).

Grated, this kind of work-around is of rather niche interest, and I can't be too sure if it'll work flawlessly if/when the relevant tier cycles around in the Ruins of Alph (which would explain why I've had such trouble discovering it in the forums), but it's worth noting, if nothing else.]

Last edited:

Adeleine

This is more for the Showdown forums on here as opposed to the actual sim, but perhaps making the discipline appeal rules (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3583479/) a stickied thread with a title like "discipline appeal rules" (right now the amount of rule-breaking appeals ensure that the section does not rule) or "Read This" (optionally in all caps). The current content-rotating blue box is detached from the actual threads, and I believe a stickies thread would have more people actually read the rules, and less incorrect appeals.

This is more for the Showdown forums on here as opposed to the actual sim, but perhaps making the discipline appeal rules (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3583479/) a stickied thread with a title like "discipline appeal rules" (right now the amount of rule-breaking appeals ensure that the section does not rule) or "Read This" (optionally in all caps). The current content-rotating blue box is detached from the actual threads, and I believe a stickies thread would have more people actually read the rules, and less incorrect appeals.
done

Would it be possible to add a /dexsearch parameter for fully evolved Pokemon, or maybe one for Pokemon that can benefit from holding Eviolite? People often add ", !nfe, !lc" to dexsearches when looking for viable Pokemon, because they don't want to see Geodude, Golem, and Graveler all appear at once, since Golem directly outclasses the other two—currently, the only case where a pre-evolution actually outclasses its evolved form thanks to eviolite is Chansey vs. Blissey. Obviously, this wouldn't be a flawless system, since a search for fully evolved bug/flying types that learn Swords Dance would include Ledian, but not Scyther. That said, there are many OMs that have special rules about Pokemon that can evolve, most notably Mix 'n' Mega; in MnM, Pokemon that aren't fully evolved cannot Mega Evolve, so Pokemon like Chansey and Gligar are irrelevant when compared with their fully evolved counterparts. Furthermore, many other OMs, such as Palette Pals and Gifts of the Gods (the current OMotM) have banned the use of Eviolite, as NFEs can get much higher stats in those metas, thus making them incredibly bulky with Eviolite. This is of course not to mention Middle Cup, which would benefit greatly from finally having a set of dexsearch parameters that includes all middle stage Pokemon (/ds fullyevolved/!eviolite, !lc, !lcuber, all).

Also, I think it would be helpful if tiers could be searched using inequalities, as "/ds tier < uber, tier >= ru" is much easier than typing "/ds ou | bl | uu | bl2 | ru", and since 5 is the max for alternatives, you can't expand that to include bl3 without switching over to "/ds !ag, !uber, !nu, !bl4, !pu, !nfe, !lcuber, !lc", not to mention that Mega Rayquaza showing up in searches where "!uber" is included as a parameter is pretty annoying.

P.S. I don't remember why anymore, but I remember the OM room trying to search for single-typed Pokemon, and having to use dexsearches with 17 exclusion paramters: one for each type. Perhaps a keyword like "monotype" or "singletype" could be added? I can't think of any specific situations where this would be useful, but I do remember wanting access to it for something.

Last edited:
How about having formatting show up when PMs are in the chat. This would be really useful for people like me who like to have two rooms open at once and as such don't tend to view PM windows. It's quite annoying when someone sends me a PM in strike through and I don't see that because I have two chat rooms open.

Hello I recently discovered in a battle that Gastrodon-east's front sprite is fine but it's back sprite is still 4th gen. Can you please fix that and make the back sprite 6th gen?

OK, I have some suggestions for pokemonshowdown to make it more stable and fast for players in China.
I come from China and there are a large number of players like me battling on PS. When the Sun&Moon is produced early next month, I think there will be more players who love pokemon battles in China. However, the pokemonshowdown server is located in the USA, and it make us hard to enjoy a stable and fluent battle usually.
I wonder if you can choose CDN to make it better? At least make the images and sounds cached locally.
Okay, that's just my suggestion. Thanks for SMOGON/PS, which providing a for-free battle service for those pokemon lovers. Even if you can think it an advertisement for that I am a pre-sale engineer in ChinaNetCenter. But you can consider Amazon or Akamai or someone else, but if you choose ChinaNetCenter, maybe I can persuade my seller college to provide a cheaper price for you then.
WE JUST HOPE FOR A STALE BATTLE :]

Last edited:
I think the number of times the battle timer can be started and stopped should be limited. Otherwise it is possible to flood the battle chatroom by repeatdly starting stopping the timer like here:

Adeleine

I think the number of times the battle timer can be started and stopped should be limited. Otherwise it is possible to flood the battle chatroom by repeatdly starting stopping the timer like here:
I don't see the point, since just spamming regular text is easier and more "effective".
Only players have access to it, so timer-spamming is impossible for outsiders who would maliciously spam battles.
Also, that is just you testing it in the picture, not another person using it to actually spam; I've seen somebody actually spam start/end with malicious intent maybe twice.

Last edited by a moderator:
/dt gives insufficient info about weather conditions and status conditions. The current descriptions of the appropriate moves and abilities are unsatisfactory (for example, /dt sunny day fails to mention the weakening of water moves). Similarly to the current command /weak, which shows infos about types, I propose to add a command /weather, that would show infos about weather conditions and /status to show infos about status conditions.

Weather conditions:
  • Please change /dt description of Sunny Day from "For 5 turns, intense sunlight powers Fire moves." to "Summons Harsh Sunlight for 5 turns."
  • Change /dt Drought from "On switch-in, this Pokemon summons Sunny Day." to "On switch-int, this Pokemon summons Harsh Sunlight for 5 turns."
  • Create a command /weather Harsh Sunlight with desciption: "Boosts Fire moves by 50% and weakens Water moves by 50%." Also make /weather Sun show info of /weather Harsh Sunlight.
  • Change /dt Desolate Land from: "On switch-in, extremely harsh sunlight begins until this Ability is not active in battle." to: "On switch-in, Extremely Harsh Sunlight begins until this Ability is not active in battle. Happens even if the current weather condition is Heavy Rain or Mysterious Air Current."
  • Add /weather Extremely Harsh Sunlight with description: "Boosts Fire moves by 50% and makes Water damaging moves fail. This weather condition cannot be removed or replaced." Also make /Weather Intense Sun show info of /weather extremely harsh sunlight.
  • Change /dt description of Rain Dance from "For 5 turns, heavy rain powers Water moves." to: "Summons Rain for 5 turns."
  • Change /dt Drizzle from "On switch-in, this Pokemon summons Rain Dance." to: "On switch-in, this Pokemon summons Rain for 5 turns."
  • Add /weather Rain with description: "Boosts Water moves by 50% and weakens Fire moves by 50%."
  • Change /dt Primordial Sea from: "On switch-in, heavy rain begins until this Ability is not active in battle." to: "On switch-in, Heavy Rain begins until this Ability is not active in battle. Happens even if the current weather condition is Extremely Harsh Sunlight or Mysterious Air Current."
  • Add /weather Heavy Rain with description: "Boosts Water moves by 50% and makes Fire damaging moves fail. This weather condition cannot be removed or replaced."
  • Change /dt delta stream from: "On switch-in, strong winds begin until this Ability is not active in battle." to: "On switch-in, Mysterious Air Current begins until this Ability is not active in battle. Happens even if the current weather condition is Extremely Harsh Sunlight or Heavy Rain."
  • Add /weather Mysterious Air Current. with description: "Removes all moves' super effectiveness against the Flying type. This weather condition cannot be removed or replaced." Also make /dt strong winds show info of /dt mysterious air current.
  • Change /dt Sandstorm from "For 5 turns, a sandstorm rages." to "Summons Sandstorm for 5 turns."
  • Change /dt Sand Stream from "On switch-in, this Pokemon summons Sandstorm." to "On switch-in, this Pokemon summons Sandstorm for 5 turns."
  • Add /weather Sandstorm with description: "Damages all Pokemon that are not Rock-, Steel-, or Ground-type for 1/16 of their max HP and raises Special Defense of all Rock-type Pokemon by 50%."
  • Change /dt Hail from "For 5 turns, hail crashes down." to "Summons Hail for 5 turns."
  • Change /dt Snow Warning from "For 5 turns, hail crashes down." to "On switch-in, this Pokemon summons Hail for 5 turns."
  • Add /weather Hail with description "Damages all Pokemon that are not Ice-type for 1/16 of their max HP."
Status conditions:
  • Add /status Burn with description: "Damages the Pokemon for 1/8 of its max HP each turn and halves its Attack stat. ✓Non-volatile (A Pokemon may have only one non-volatile status at a time)" Make /status brn show info of /status Burn.
  • Add /status Freeze with description: "Prevents the Pokemon from moving, until it uses, or is hit by, a damaging Fire-type move. Has a 20% chance of wearing down each turn, before the Pokemon would normally move. ✓Non-volatile (A Pokemon may have only one non-volatile status at a time)" Make /status frz show info of /status Freeze.
  • Add /status Paralysis with description: "Quarters the Pokemon's Speed stat. Also gives a 25% chance the Pokemon will not move this turn. ✓Non-volatile (A Pokemon may have only one non-volatile status at a time)" Also make /status par show info of /status Paralysis.
  • Add /status Poison with description: "Damages the Pokemon for 1/8 of its max HP each turn. ✓Non-volatile (A Pokemon may have only one non-volatile status at a time)" Also make /status psn show info of /status Poison.
  • Add /status Bad Poison with description: "Damages the Pokemon for 1/16 of its max HP each turn; the damage is multiplicated by the number of turns Bad Poison lasted after the Pokemon was switched-in. ✓Non-volatile (A Pokemon may have only one non-volatile status at a time)" Also make /status tox show info of /status Bad Poison.
  • Add /status Sleep with description: "Prevents the Pokemon from moving, except the turn on which it wakes up. Lasts 1-3 turns. ✓Non-volatile (A Pokemon may have only one non-volatile status at a time)" Make /status slp show info of /status Sleep.
Volatile status conditions are a whole different story... Not sure if its worthy to list all of them.

Would allowing locked users the ability to PM any room owner even if they are not a global staff member a feasible idea? Just in case there's something that requires their attention.
I don't think so: Locked users are often spammers. Since they can't talk, there aren't really any room moderation issues that affect them. Nothing they'd have to PM a RO about. The only thing this would do is make ROs get spammed, I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)