Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We don't add items and moves not actually in the game, besides the testing move Magikarp's Revenge and the CAP Pokemon / moves.

Also, could there be a way to import custom music to play during battles?
You can click the sound button at the top right, mute the music and play any music you like on either youtube or something else. It's not done because of copyright reasons though.

It would be nice if we could have some way to avoid being highlighted by room tournaments without having to ignore them completely. I frequent a few rooms where tours are hosted regularly, and getting notified when each one starts is quite unnecessary and annoying. However, occasionally I find a tour that I do want to join but can't because I have ignore tournaments on, so having this as an option would be cool.

Reactions: PQD
Could there be something that says how a Pokemon learns each move (level up, egg, tutor, event, tm, etc.) I remember Pokemon Online having something like that, and it was useful to know what moves were and weren't compatible with each other.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Could there be something that says how a Pokemon learns each move (level up, egg, tutor, event, tm, etc.) I remember Pokemon Online having something like that, and it was useful to know what moves were and weren't compatible with each other.
Look in the lower left corner. There's a Pokédex link there

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
It would be cool if you could choose your own name colour on ps instead of having an automatic one, but it's probably to insignificant and bothersome to implement it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A big reason name colors are a thing on Pokemon Showdown is that if everyone could select their own color, it'd be easier to impersonate someone. For example, S0NDERO could at a glance look like my username, except it would have a Yellow-ish color as opposed to the Green color of my actual username. If they could have the exact same shade of color as my main username, the name could look a lot more convincing. Of course, most important users will have ranks like +, %, @ etc. to differentiate themselves from imposters, but on side-servers like Smogtours, not everyone that has a rank on the main server will have it kept over there.
I don't have first-hand experience with this, but higher-up purposefully had a friend of theirs try to pose as them on a side-server, and the targets for getting fooled by the imposing said that the name color is what revealed them.

It would be so nice if you could add other Languages.. for example German, french, spanish etc
I could do Tournaments then with Showdown for my Group on Facebook because its a german group and they dont really like it on english just a few.
and well iam the Main Admin of a german Pokemon Sun/Moon Group with almost 4000 people.
I hope its possible. Translating isnt that hard. It takes of course a little bit of time to translate it but its possible to do it.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I was thinking... Could you add the Rival Battle theme from HeartGold/SoulSilver?

I know, it's something really cosmetic, but I think it'd be nice

It would be neat if you could link your Pokemon Showdown account to Twitter so people can upload replays quicker or find other players in an easy way. This would be especially cool for VGC players.

Please turn the Protect button on the calculator into something useful: for example, figuring in another turn of leftovers and leech seed recovery would be really helpful. Therefore, it´s easier to handle LeechProtect Ferrothorn by knowing how many attack investment you need for a 2HKO without slowly calculating it by yourself! Thank you so much for reading :) CU iglougl

maybe a link to bulbapedia or some site that gives more info on an item or move when you do /dt (item/move). Since there's only so much space to give so much info a link to a site that gives more detail on that item/move may be nice. For example, doing /dt grassy terrain on top of showing the details should also include a hyperlink on what I said above.

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
maybe a link to bulbapedia or some site that gives more info on an item or move when you do /dt (item/move). Since there's only so much space to give so much info a link to a site that gives more detail on that item/move may be nice. For example, doing /dt grassy terrain on top of showing the details should also include a hyperlink on what I said above.

Another thing is maybe a folder for your own mp3 files so you can play your own music instead of the battle music that is default.
Or instead of Bulbapedia, provide a link to the PS pokedex like /dt [pokemon] does since moves are certainly in there. For example, when somebody does /dt grassy terrain have the resulting header Grassy Terrain be a hyperlink to this page instead of being the just text it is now.

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you do /veekun (pokemon/item/move) it will take you to another site that provides information on what you searched. For example, /veekun grassy terrain leads to this page. Though I agree that it would be easier if moves linked to the dex like pokemon do.

Another thing is maybe a folder for your own mp3 files so you can play your own music instead of the battle music that is default.
This honestly just would take up unneeded storage on PS (I'm assuming it would be locally in this situation) and you'd probably be better off just playing something in the background whether it be youtube or just your music on your phone.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Is there an objective reason you say this? We can't just remove features because one person doesn't like them.
They're objectively incorrect!

152 SpA Level 5 Chinchou Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Level 5 Murkrow: 24-30 (109 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 30)

152 SpA Non-Electric-type Level 5 Chinchou 120 BP Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Level 5 Murkrow: 24-30 (109 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (24, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 30)

Or a level 100 example:

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Amoonguss: 343-406 (79.5 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Non-Ice-type Kyurem-Black 135 BP Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Amoonguss: 341-403 (79.1 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Rolls are different you can see.

It's definitely not a big thing but there's an argument to be made that the sim is now lying by saying that STAB increases base power. I don't personally care either way but here you go.

Is there an objective reason you say this? We can't just remove features because one person doesn't like them.
First of all what was the reason it was implemented in the 1st place? It's not like I object an old, well established feature. I object the change that was made very recently. I don't recall any hints on PS! that it's about to be implemented, not to even mention asking users about it.

Anyways I thought that it's commonly known that STAB doesn't increase moves base power per se. It increase damage output when STA is being used. Initially I thought that effectively it's the same thing as we can see from this post:
They're objectively incorrect!
152 SpA Level 5 Chinchou Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Level 5 Murkrow: 24-30 (109 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 30)

152 SpA Non-Electric-type Level 5 Chinchou 120 BP Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Level 5 Murkrow: 24-30 (109 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (24, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 30)

Or a level 100 example:

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Amoonguss: 343-406 (79.5 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Non-Ice-type Kyurem-Black 135 BP Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Amoonguss: 341-403 (79.1 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Rolls are different you can see.
This isn't true.

Every sound player knows about the STAB and, from what I've noticed in various rooms, for absolute newbies (I assume this features main goal is to help them, but IMO instead of holding their hand like that we should refer them to articles regarding competetive pokemon play) this feature caused them being more confused and roaming in the rooms asking about what STAB is and why suddenly some moves has different BP (which, as mentioned earlier, is not true at all).

Last edited:
To add on what I posted on my previous thread maybe also include the same hyperlink to an analysis when we do /dt (mon) so that the /analysis command does not need to exist anymore.

The reason being is when a newcomer to smogon/PS asks 'what is a good set for this mon', ppl can just say 'do /dt (mon)' to both show some basic information AND a link to an analysis which is more convenient when compared to it being in two separate commands. P.S may save some space on the server too.

Another thing is maybe implement some sound effects for the moves and not just the pokemon's cry if that hasn't already been done?

At first I liked these new tooltips very much. But then I learned in the Help chatroom that they are objectively inaccurate.

The actual damage formula is like this:

(source: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Damage#Damage_calculation )

Where Power is the move's base power and things like STAB and weather are factors of Modifier.

THerefore STAB and weather are not simple multipliers of a move's base power, as these tooltips suggest. This approximation would be appropriate for a more "casual" site; but since Showdown is oriented for competitive battling then all information present on this site should strive for maximum accuracy.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Instead of these factually wrong tooltips I propose adding some calculator functionality to the chat, for example calculating the expected perentage of HP the opponent will loose if struck with a given attack. In randbats this calculator could treat opponents Def and SpD EVs as constants.

The actual damage formula is like this:

(source: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Damage#Damage_calculation )

Where Power is the move's base power and things like STAB and weather are factors of Modifier.

THerefore STAB and weather are not simple multipliers of a move's base power, as these tooltips suggest. This approximation would be appropriate for a more "casual" site; but since Showdown is oriented for competitive battling then all information present on this site should strive for maximum accuracy.
Moral of this story is: check your facts before implementing "helpful features"

Instead of these factually wrong tooltips I propose adding some calculator functionality to the chat, for example calculating the expected perentage of HP the opponent will loose if struck with a given attack. In randbats this calculator could treat opponents Def and SpD EVs as constants.
We already have a https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/ that is even linked on the main site. No need to oveload chat with features.

Overally gaazkam I applaud you for this post. Excellent stuff! There you go guys, OBJECTIVE REASONS that you all should be aware of, especially the dmg calc formula...

It's always been a damage modifier instead of a Base Power modifier. Same with type chart multipliers. A super-effective 75 BP move is not exactly the same as a neutral 150 BP move.

It is, however, close enough to be used as a reference. I'd keep it in the tooltip (or perhaps make some modifications on it to clarify this case)

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
It's always been a damage modifier instead of a Base Power modifier. Same with type chart multipliers. A super-effective 75 BP move is not exactly the same as a neutral 150 BP move.

It is, however, close enough to be used as a reference. I'd keep it in the tooltip (or perhaps make some modifications on it to clarify this case)
Yeah, I do think there's been a little bit of an overreaction from some of the responses here.

I'd suggest that maybe the best way to approach it is that instead of the way that it's currently shown where the tooltip shows Base Power: [normal BP*1.5] (x1.5 from STAB) it would instead be Base Power: [normal BP] (Damage increased 1.5x by STAB). This would get rid of the potential false information situation while also keeping the information about the move being STAB there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)