Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always been a damage modifier instead of a Base Power modifier. Same with type chart multipliers. A super-effective 75 BP move is not exactly the same as a neutral 150 BP move.

It is, however, close enough to be used as a reference.
THerefore STAB and weather are not simple multipliers of a move's base power, as these tooltips suggest. This approximation would be appropriate for a more "casual" site; but since Showdown is oriented for competitive battling then all information present on this site should strive for maximum accuracy.
On our way to a casual site...

I'd keep it in the tooltip (or perhaps make some modifications on it to clarify this case)
Good way to make things even less clear and confuse everyone...

Yeah, I do think there's been a little bit of an overreaction from some of the responses here.
Just having a good time since I was the 1st one to voice my objections to this (both in here and previously in the help room on PS!) and I was deemed as bossy and disrespectful. Obviously I was right. Initially I assumed that everybody knows that STAB does not increase BP of a move but... oh well xD. Apparently you have to explain everything , even things that should be commonly known, especially amongst PS! and smogon staff.

Please remove the STAB modification shown when checking/selecting attacking moves. Thanks in advance.
Seconding this, although certain abilities like Reckless and Sheer Force have done this for a while now, should the modification be removed for that too?

I'd suggest that maybe the best way to approach it is that instead of the way that it's currently shown where the tooltip shows Base Power: [normal BP*1.5] (x1.5 from STAB) it would instead be Base Power: [normal BP] (Damage increased 1.5x by STAB). This would get rid of the potential false information situation while also keeping the information about the move being STAB there.
If you're gonna keep it in, do it like this please.

Seconding this, although certain abilities like Reckless and Sheer Force have done this for a while now, should the modification be removed for that too?
Ugh I believe in calse of SHeer Force and Reckless the tooltips are correct.

Reckless increases the base power of moves which cause recoil[/URL] or crash damage by 20%, except Struggle.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Reckless_(Ability)

Sheer Force raises the base power of all damaging moves that have any additional effects by 30%, but their additional effects are ignored.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sheer_Force_(Ability)

Initially I assumed that everybody knows that STAB does not increase BP of a move but... oh well xD. Apparently you have to explain everything
When we were talking about this in the Help room many people were asking what STAB is...

Yet another reason to drop this silly "STAB increases base power". Aside from reckless and sheer force, we can add technician to that list. These abilities actually increases power of certain moves.

When we were talking about this in the Help room many people were asking what STAB is...
I meant auths, not every PS! user. Although I discussed with one today and he said that some global staff don't actually play pokemon. But still at least one should know how STAB actually works lol.

Yet another reason why these tooltips should be fixed: From the Help chatroom:

Beanmand: I don't think Technician works anymore with STAB moves
_>">JetOU >_>: why do you think that?
Beanmand: It shows the move as 90 because of STAB
gaazkam: These tooltips.
Beanmand: And since it's 90 after STAB, Technician doesn't register
Beanmand: It seems
They really are misleading, and in many ways beyond the simple inaccuracy of calculating damage. How bad can this be?

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
The tooltip is very useful, but in many ways needs to be repaired. It's only confusing because it just came out, so, realistically, I think we should give it some time.

PQD

I COULD BE BANNED!
An indicator which shows to ppl that we are on mobile, a thing like "on mobile" under the username after clicking on it in the userlist.

Last edited:
Hey I understand PS doesn't have a friend system yet but maybe PS can use the following to keep track of users you interact with most.

I suggest having a /friend command. What this does is /friend (user) tells the sim to remember this user and everytime he or she speaks in pm/s chats, it shows as a different color e.g red or blue or a color of your choice but only you can see the color difference and not anyone else. Moreover /friendlist shows a bunch of users that you have used the /friend command on. To simply remove someone just /unfriend (user).

Or you can replace the /friend command with the /follow command just like smogon. Perhaps this command can help you keep track of specific ppl.

My PS username was Jolteon∞XVII for a while, but now it's Jolteon∞Electrify. I'm a Lobby voice, so with that said I'd like to focus on a suggestion that's specifically about the poll system. As a user who is very fond of the poll system in general and who tries to take full advantage of it often, I think there are a few things that could make polls more efficient for staff members and users. I have three main proposals/suggestions. Whoever is reading this, just a few moments of your time would be appreciated. I apologize for the lengthy suggestion post.

POLL SUGGEST COMMAND/LOBBY EXP. (LOBBY EXP. IS OPTIONAL CONSIDERATION)
FIRSTLY, I think there should be a PM command specifically for suggesting polls. Something along the lines of "/poll suggest [poll question, option 1, option 2, etc...]". As an avid user of the poll system, a lot of the times I find myself getting the "your message was too long" pop-up in PM whenever I wanted to add a twist or make my poll a little more interesting for users. Sometimes I like to even add a little humor, but I understand that polls are probably meant to be kept brief and simple (mostly anyway)--it still doesn't hurt to consider it I suppose. A small change like that can make a big difference in poll efficiency. This command would, in hindsight, bypass the abrupt "your message was too long" pop-up. There could also be an OPTIONAL extension to this command that gives the staff member who the user suggested the poll to an option to either approve it, reject it or for the user to simply reword it. Upon approval, the poll is automatically sent to the staff member in poll format.

OPTIONAL LOBBY EXP. - I would also like to add my personal Lobby experiences-and probably other Lobby voices who may feel similar-in this thread. Sometimes, Lobby desperately needs a topic because it can quickly and sometimes easily get derailed. And from my experiences of being in Lobby, I can confidently say that polls definitely help add some substance as well as positive, engaging and sometimes thought-provoking conversation. I cannot speak for Lobby staff, but maybe they'd appreciate users being as productive as possible. So getting polls posted as fast as possible would be a great thing for Lobby chat.

SECONDLY, maybe there could be some kind of poll command that only works for room-staff. In a sense, it would act as the "/away" command that blocks PMs and challenges, but this command would work for polls only. Since I do suggest polls pretty often, sometimes I feel a bit abrasive and bothersome to staff (my condolences Foxxy and Flying Kebab) because I ask them multiple times if they are accepting polls. In some ways, having to do this can be inconvenient (especially for global staff who watch over multiple rooms). With that said, this command would have to be contingent with my first suggestion. If a user utilizes the "/poll suggest" command in PM, then they'd get a pop-up message with their poll stating something like, "this staff member isn't accepting polls at this time." There could be another variation of the command for staff members to use that's along the lines of "/poll away, [specify time limit for away status]". That way users would get a pop-up with the amount of time left until a staff member starts accepting polls again.

THIRDLY (COULD BE CONTINGENT WITH THE 2ND SUGG.), this command would work with the staff "/poll away" command that the room-staff would have access to, or it can really be its own standalone command. Users could pull up a list of staff members who are currently accepting polls. For example, say if Flying Kebab had his status set to "/poll here" or something of the sort, then the list would display his name along with other staff who are currently accepting polls after the user typed something such as "/poll staff" to see who is currently accepting. That way a user would know before hand to not PM a staff member to ask about polls.

This is all assuming that users will actually utilize the poll suggest features. All of this could prove to be more complex than simple, but I still wage efficiency over anything else. However, I am confident that PS has the ability to actively and efficiently have ways to inform users of a new change to a prominent, successful server-wide system. Users are always asking about polls and it just takes us to pull up quick, simple FAQ articles. If you read to the end, then thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
My PS username was Jolteon∞XVII for a while, but now it's Jolteon∞Electrify. I'm a Lobby voice, so with that said I'd like to focus on a suggestion that's specifically about the poll system. As a user who is very fond of the poll system in general and who tries to take full advantage of it often, I think there are a few things that could make polls more efficient for staff members and users. I have two main proposals/suggestions. Whoever is reading this, just a few moments of your time would be appreciated. I apologize for the lengthy suggestion post.

FIRSTLY, I think there should be a PM command specifically for suggesting polls. Something along the lines of "/poll suggest [poll question, option 1, option 2, etc...]". As an avid user of the poll system, a lot of the times I find myself getting the "your message was too long" pop-up in PM whenever I wanted to add a twist or make my poll a little more interesting for users. Sometimes I like to even add a little humor, but I understand that polls are probably meant to be kept brief and simple (mostly anyway)--it still doesn't hurt to consider it I suppose. A small change like that can make a big difference in poll efficiency. This command would, in hindsight, bypass the abrupt "your message was too long" pop-up. There could also be an OPTIONAL extension to this command that gives the staff member who the user suggested the poll to an option to either approve it, reject it or for the user to simply reword it. Upon approval, the poll is automatically sent to the staff member in poll format.

OPTIONAL LOBBY EXP. - I would also like to add my personal Lobby experiences-and probably other Lobby voices who may feel similar-in this thread. Sometimes, Lobby desperately needs a topic because it can quickly and sometimes easily get derailed. And from my experiences of being in Lobby, I can confidently say that polls definitely help add some substance as well as positive, engaging and sometimes thought-provoking conversation. I cannot speak for Lobby staff, but maybe they'd appreciate users being as productive as possible. So getting polls posted as fast as possible would be a great thing for Lobby chat.

SECONDLY, maybe there could be some kind of poll command that only works for room-staff. In a sense, it would act as the "/away" command that blocks PMs and challenges, but this command would work for polls only. Since I do suggest polls pretty often, sometimes I feel a bit abrasive and bothersome to staff (my condolences Foxxy and FlyingKebab) because I ask them multiple times are they accepting polls. In some ways, having to do this can be inconvenient (especially for global staff who watch over multiple rooms). With that said, this command would have to be contingent with my first suggestion. If a user utilizes the "/poll suggest" command in PM, then they'd get a pop-up message with their poll stating something like, "this staff member isn't accepting polls at this time." There could be another variation of the command for staff members to use that's along the lines of "/poll away, [specify time limit for away status]". That way users would get a pop-up with the amount of time left until a staff member starts accepting polls again.

This is all assuming that users will actually utilize the poll suggest features. All of this could prove to be more complex than simple, but I still wage efficiency over anything else. However, I am confident that PS has the ability to actively and efficiently have ways to inform users of a new change to a prominent, successful server-wide system. Users are always asking about polls and it just takes us to pull up quick, simple FAQ articles. If you read to the end, then thank you for your time.
Sounds overly complicated for something that can be fixed by just more efficient communication such as: dividing up what you say on multiple lines or the staff just telling you that they don't want to do a poll right now. I'd guess that staff would want the possibility to edit the poll that got suggested to them and that would just be easier if they got in a raw format. And I think this wouldn't be that useful for all but the biggest rooms.

To just draw a comparison to a similar thing in another room, voices in Wi-Fi, and global voices due to how the code can't separate between different voice ranks, are able to host their own giveaways for their own mons and that generally works well since they are familiar with the giveaway rules, get taught the format of the command, and that they can only host giveaways for themselves. I don't think this would work as well with giving this power to voices in Lobby, and subsequently global ones, due to it being a much simpler and freer concept to potentially abuse.

My PS username was Jolteon∞XVII for a while, but now it's Jolteon∞Electrify. I'm a Lobby voice, so with that said I'd like to focus on a suggestion that's specifically about the poll system. As a user who is very fond of the poll system in general and who tries to take full advantage of it often, I think there are a few things that could make polls more efficient for staff members and users. I have three main proposals/suggestions. Whoever is reading this, just a few moments of your time would be appreciated. I apologize for the lengthy suggestion post.

SECONDLY, maybe there could be some kind of poll command that only works for room-staff. In a sense, it would act as the "/away" command that blocks PMs and challenges, but this command would work for polls only. Since I do suggest polls pretty often, sometimes I feel a bit abrasive and bothersome to staff (my condolences Foxxy and Flying Kebab) because I ask them multiple times if they are accepting polls. In some ways, having to do this can be inconvenient (especially for global staff who watch over multiple rooms). With that said, this command would have to be contingent with my first suggestion. If a user utilizes the "/poll suggest" command in PM, then they'd get a pop-up message with their poll stating something like, "this staff member isn't accepting polls at this time." There could be another variation of the command for staff members to use that's along the lines of "/poll away, [specify time limit for away status]". That way users would get a pop-up with the amount of time left until a staff member starts accepting polls again.

THIRDLY (COULD BE CONTINGENT WITH THE 2ND SUGG.), this command would work with the staff "/poll away" command that the room-staff would have access to, or it can really be its own standalone command. Users could pull up a list of staff members who are currently accepting polls. For example, say if Flying Kebab had his status set to "/poll here" or something of the sort, then the list would display his name along with other staff who are currently accepting polls after the user typed something such as "/poll staff" to see who is currently accepting. That way a user would know before hand to not PM a staff member to ask about polls.

Maybe just request lobby staff to just request for a spreadsheet/dropbox on poll suggestions that is lobby exclusive.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
When you /ds something and the icons for Pokemon show, I think it would be better that clicking a Pokemon should lead you to their Smogon Analysis. I barely can think of any use the Smogon Pokedex has, which is not covered by something else (e.g. Bulbapedia).

(PS: Excuse me if this constitutes ''non-PS'' idea, but it doesn't seem like a non-PS idea.)

When you /ds something and the icons for Pokemon show, I think it would be better that clicking a Pokemon should lead you to their Smogon Analysis. I barely can think of any use the Smogon Pokedex has, which is not covered by something else (e.g. Bulbapedia).

(PS: Excuse me if this constitutes ''non-PS'' idea, but it doesn't seem like a non-PS idea.)
Whether or not it's covered by something else isn't really an issue. It's still more efficient to just click the mon and go to the dex here than to type it into bulbapedia. Also Bulbapedia can be edited, the PS Pokedex has been carefully made sure to be correct and will be a lot more accurate.

basically i want a feedback option on on ps ,in that way,they could always share feedback to all...in an easy way....a small text box could be provided to do the same*:afrostar::heart:

Last edited:
Would it be possible, like for each team you create, to have a little notepad or note area where you can write thoughts/observations and what not about your team? Not only is this good for your own personal notetaking, but if other people use your team, they can understand where your head is at and why you did what you did.

Also, this might be pushing it, but would it also be possible to create some sort of team repository? Like, let's say I have team A. anytime I make any changes to team A and finally click the save button, that team is saved. When another version is saved, that team also goes into the repository. So, like, you can see all the changes you've made and how your team has changed over time kind of thing, as well as revert back to an old version should you want to do that.

Would it be possible to have an option to turn off move animations? I remember it being in the games.
This is already a feature. Go to settings (a little cog button in the top right) and under "Graphics" there is an option called "Disable Animations".
This does disable the animated sprites too but it sounds like it's basically what you're looking for

This is already a feature. Go to settings (a little cog button in the top right) and under "Graphics" there is an option called "Disable Animations".
This does disable the animated sprites too but it sounds like it's basically what you're looking for
Oh, thanks. I couldn't find anything like it looking around, must've missed it.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
message blocked:spam

I have seen this feature on many games ,this feature does not allow spammers and flamers to resist on the game ,by blocking the messages that interrupt the chat,
this feature that there on ps too...to make ps a better place,to maintain peace on ps,to reduce staff work...and to reduce no. of banns on ps...this feature maybe result in good for the games that include chat and chat rooms...

this feature may take some time to implement the feature on ps,or perhaps not,but would surely result beneficial for many ps users...

(Sorry if I misunderstood your message, I find it quite difficult to read)
There's already some optional filters staff can decide to put on the chat, like banning certain words or forms of formatting, and there's also a slowchat feature.
command explanations said:
/banword add [words] - Adds the comma-separated list of phrases (& or ~ can also input regex) to the banword list of the current room. Requires: # & ~
/slowchat [number] - Sets a limit on how often users in the room can send messages, between 2 and 60 seconds. Requires @ * # & ~

This has, kinda, been addressed before by another user but it didn't have a very conclusive answer and it isn't on the list of previous suggestions, as such I'd like to bring it up again.
Recently I have noticed that replays saved of a battle in a hidden room become private replays, and thus, aren't listed when you search for one of the players name on the replays page. I'd like to ask for a way to access these private replays from the replay page or suggest the inclusion of a warning message when a private replay is saved. The warning would clarify that private replays cannot be accessed from the replays page and suggest the player to download the battle or save the link of the battle. Or, even better, a command to save the replay as public, or have this done directly through the "Upload and share replay" button, as it, in a way, defeats the purpose of uploading the replay if it later cannot be accessed through the replays page.

Hey there! I was hoping we could add the battle win music at the end of a replay, so it doesn't just cut off randomly. My thoughts would be to run the loop of it 2-3 times then turning the music off, would make for nicer videos in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)