Suicide Cup (ABRA EVOLUTION LINE IS NOW BANNED!!!)

Should Magic Room be banned?

• Yes

Votes: 59 52.2%
  • No

Votes: 54 47.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Approved by Arcticblast.

"This metagame is about exploring something that seems to come extremely naturally to some players - The art of KOing your team first."

Dogfish44

Introduction:

Suicide Cup is a new tier with a completely different goal, to KO your team members first! Suicide Cup takes place in the Uber tier because Ubers are not very good suicidemons anyway. Since this tier has a completely different goal, very few pokemons are viable since moves and ability are the only really relevant perks. Usually lowering your bulk is now actually a good thing! And maximizing Black Sludge/Burn Damage is now beneficial for your team. Click here to watch a replay.

Turn on the show button to see the rules.

Banned Pokemon

-Shedinja
-Alakazam/Kadabra/Abra

Banned Moves:

-Self-Destruct
-Explosion
-Memento
-Final Gambit
-Healing Wish
-Heal Pulse
-Lunar Dance
-Dream Eater
-Snore
-Return/Frustration
-Fake out
-Natural Gift
-Magic Room

Additional rules.

-You must have a full team of 6 Pokemon.
-All team members must be Level 100.
-Each Pokemon must have 4 moves with at least one damaging move.
-Only legal moves are allowed.
-Team Preview is enabled.
-Sleep Clause: Limit one foe put to sleep
-Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon

Conclusion:

I only hope that Suicide Cup becomes an exciting tier for everyone in the smogon community to play!
Also feel free to post movesets,Vote in the Other Metagame of the Month Thread, don't forget to Luvdisc, and try not to make this thread go "offtopic".

Special Thanks:

To Arcticblast for approving the tier!

And Joim for making the tier playable in his lab.

And to everyone who is supporting Suicide Cup!

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I tried this metagame and it was a really funny battle. LC and NU Pokémon are best in the case your opponent has to use an attacking move, as their HP is minimal.

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
First thoughts:
-Substitute+switching out seems to be the standard strategy for most pokemon
-I can see Trick users with Leftovers or Rocky Helmet becoming popular just for the sake to take to opponent's damaging item (Flame Orb and such) away
-By extension, Thief/Covet can also be used to steal the opponent's damaging items
-Thunder Wave to stop the opponent's attempts to poison/burn itself
-Spamming ridiculously weak moves such as Constrict while holding a Life Orb seems another basic strategy
-Perish Song+Roar/Whirlwind
-Ingrain+Toxic Orb
-Using a single 5 PP move in order to trigger Struggle ASAP (edit: looks like you're forced to run maxed PP on PS so it would have to be 8 PP minimum)
-Trapping moves have lots of potential

This is quite the idea. Sounds like an interesting change of pace from the ordinary metagame...team planning would be totally different. Just a whole new way to think
I am intruiged

This has great potential: now we must work to expand the possibilities and see what this is capable of. That Riolu-Roar strategy seems like a good one for stalling! ;)

Haha this seems to be a really interesting tier! I guess running moves like Sonicboom or dragon rage is counted as an attacking move right?

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yes, any move that cannot be taunted and is a direct damaging move is available.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Reminds me of a match I had with a friend once, where we selected our own Pokémon and then proceeded to select the sets for the other's Pokémon. The idea was to create as bad sets as possible for the other.

By the way, why is Snore banned?

Joim

Pixels matter
It always fails if you are not asleep, not dealing damage.
Edit: Incidentally, Suicide Cup format is now available in my Lab.

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
I'm just theory moning here but Alakazam with a set of Skill swap, Trick, Taunt, and Knock Off @ Leftovers seems like a really good mon. It stops people from substituting and belly drumming as well as knocking off sticky barbs and stuff. Though taunt may not be v good when I think about it because it will just cause the person to struggle which is never good, so you could prolly change that move to substitute or something.

Edit: nvm just read rules so you will want taunt on Alakazam

I'm just theory moning here but Alakazam with a set of Skill swap, Trick, Taunt, and Knock Off @ Leftovers seems like a really good mon. It stops people from substituting and belly drumming as well as knocking off sticky barbs and stuff. Though taunt may not be v good when I think about it because it will just cause the person to struggle which is never good, so you could prolly change that move to substitute or something.

Edit: nvm just read rules so you will want taunt on Alakazam

Taunt is actually one of the most deadly moves since it stops substitute and belly drum, It is also highly unlikely to make the foe struggle as most low BP moves have low PP. Additionally Sitrus berry is generally better as an item for trick.

I had a similar tournament with several friends a few months ago, and it was really fun. One of the main things that became helpful was Dry Skin in Sun, and so running Rain Dance on random stuff ended up being pretty anti-metagame. In this version, Smoochum looks pretty good. It can use a very weak Fake Out (which fails every time after that), take advantage of Dry Skin, and beat Skill Swap Alakazam with its own Skill Swap.

Also, I don't know if this was a glitch or not, but Trick wouldn't work on an opponent with the Sticky Barb whenever I tried it before. Needless to say, my Alakazam with Leftovers and Trick didn't work, and it cost me the match. Might be something to look into.

No, the two I remember him using with Sticky Barb that I tried to Trick were Vulpix and Duskull, so neither had Sticky Hold.

By the way, be was using Duskull since it gets Curse, so that might be something we should look into banning.

No, the two I remember him using with Sticky Barb that I tried to Trick were Vulpix and Duskull, so neither had Sticky Hold.

By the way, be was using Duskull since it gets Curse, so that might be something we should look into banning.
Was it a custom game?? If so he might have accidentally gave Vulpix and Duskull Sticky hold. Curse isn't brokened in this metagame because of common moves such as whirlwind and taunt.

No, it was a standard game. He used Vulpix specifically because it gets Drought.

That's true. Of course, whenever we played this, no one was forced to run an offensive move, so Taunt would just cause your opponent to struggle and die more quickly. But seeing as how that isn't the case here, Curse would probably be more manageable.

Joim

Pixels matter
Magic Room should get suspected and banned imo. It's impossible to win against it and Magic Room versus Magic Room is just an endless boring battle. Magic Bounce is a little OP too, making it impossible to taunt.

Maybe Fake Out should be banned because it fails every time after the first use? Kind of a cop out for having an offensive move.

Has anybody tried a Prankster Thunder Wave strategy (with Murkrow, for example)?? It seems like it might work quite well...

Also, are you allowed to use Pokémon with really low IVs??

Magic Room should get suspected and banned imo. It's impossible to win against it and Magic Room versus Magic Room is just an endless boring battle. Magic Bounce is a little OP too, making it impossible to taunt.
I just added a poll for the banning of Magic Room.

Maybe Fake Out should be banned because it fails every time after the first use? Kind of a cop out for having an offensive move.
Fake out and Natural Gift are now banned! Thank you for your contribution

Has anybody tried a Prankster Thunder Wave strategy (with Murkrow, for example)?? It seems like it might work quite well...
Yes, using prankster thunder wave in the lead position can cripple an opponent for the rest of the match if the foe has a status orb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)