SM OU Suicide Mission (peaked #3)

Introduction:
Hello, and welcome to my 2nd Sun and Moon OU RMT. If you saw my original post, you'll notice that this team looks very similar; however, that team was made for the pre-bank meta, and this is for regular OU. I've taken many of your suggestions and innovated a bit more, and the changes I've made have allowed me to peak even higher on the ladder. I'll explain my mentality behind building this team, dive into the specific movesets and team roles, and then describe this team's threats and challenging matchups.

Teambuilding Process:
I started off with Mega-Metagross, one of the best Pokemon and definitely the best mega-evolution in SM OU. Gen 7 introduced new mega-evolution mechanics and a plethora of fairy types for Metagross to abuse - there's really no downside to using this Pokemon.

Next, I added a reliable stealth rocker in Mamoswine, and a setup sweeper in Gyarados (at this point I knew I wanted to play offense/hyper offense). These three Pokemon synergize very well together by virtue of their typing and combined offensive pressure.

Scizor/Ferrothorn/Celesteela were a problem for these three, so I added Magnezone, which could also deal with bulky water types. The team also lacked speed for a hyper-offensive build, so I added scarf Hydreigon, which was my check to Ash-Greninja, another huge nuisance to the team at this point.

Mimikyu was the final Pokemon and a great glue for this team, providing spin-blocking, a secondary setup sweeper, a secondary answer to fighting-types to which this team was very weak, a powerful Z-move, and a fairy type to complete my dragon/steel/fairy core.

In-Depth Analysis:

Chewbecca (Mamoswine) (F) @ Focus Sash Life Orb
Ability: Oblivious Thick Fat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash Freeze Dry
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Mamoswine is my suicide lead of choice 95% of the time, except for vs Mega-Sableye (the only relevant Magic Bounce user), in which case I'll usually hax or quit lead Magnezone or something that can take a burn. I changed this spread from a dedicated suicide lead to an offensive stealth rock setter, to better deal with troublesome stall teams. Stealth rocks are always necessary on offense and Oblivious ensures that Mamoswine can't be taunted and can always set them up reliably. Icicle Crash Freeze Dry can still deal nice damage vs the many grass and ground types that this outspeeds, including Tapu Bulu, defensive Landorus-T, bulky Garchomp, Amoonguss, Hippowdon, etc, even with Mamoswine's lower special attack stat. Earthquake can heavily damage Tapu Fini to the point where another team member can revenge kill it before it defogs; it also deals massive damage to opposing glass cannons like Ash-greninja or Tapu Lele, and with a Life Orb can 2hko Mega-Sableye if they switch in predicting rocks. Ice Shard is one of several priority moves on this team that helps it deal with faster threats, like Pheromosa, and can revenge kill Rock Polish Landorus-T or Swords Dance Garchomp. The EVs ensure that Mamoswine outspeeds as much as possible so it can set up rocks safely, with 16 special attack evs helping Mamoswine land a 2hko on physically defensive Rotom-W.

Barnacles (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Taunt Stone Edge

Gyarados is my first set-up sweeper, and it synergizes very well with Mega-Metagross, able to switch in on the fire and ground types that threaten it out, like Landorus-T or Heatran. Waterfall is reliable stab with a handy chance to flinch, and is capable of OHKO-ing Tapu Koko at +1 after stealth rock. Ice Fang can help Gyarados surprise kill Tapu Bulu, defensive Garchomp, Latios/Latias, and Zapdos - all Pokemon that would have nothing to fear from the expected Earthquake set. Taunt is very useful because it allows me to avoid status, block defog, and prevent stall teams from recovering. Stone Edge lets this Gyarados revenge kill both Mega Charizards, which are very threatening to this team. The speed evs let me outspeed max speed Heatran and KO before they Bloom Doom. The rest is for maximum power and a bit of extra bulk. Intimidate helps me switch in on physical attackers, and either set up on them or force switches.

Dangerzone (Magnezone) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone was initially added to trap and remove troubling steel types, mainly Mega-Scizor/Celesteela/Ferrothorn/Skarmory. I was using a timid Choice Specs set for a while, until I realized that I was struggling vs Tapu Fini + Ground type cores, because if I clicked thunderbolt on an incoming ground type I lost a ton of momentum, but if I used flash cannon on a Tapu Fini that stayed in, it could defog away the rocks that I really needed to stay for the duration of the game. Assault Vest Magnezone eased my predictions while still allowing me to either remove or deal massive damage to the aforementioned threats - in addition, it doesn't get OHKO'd by Ash-Greninja's Hydro Pump, which allows me to check it later on if Hydreigon went down. Speed EVs allow it to outspeed 0 speed Tapu Fini without speed-boosting natures (most are Bold/Calm with max HP and Defense). Changed to standard AV EV spread to outspeed bulky mega-scizor variants while retaining enough HP to take advantage of the bulk from Assault Vest. Standard Magnezone Moves, Dual Stab for firing off powerful attacks, Volt Switch to form the first half of my Volt/Turn core, and HP fire to remove nasty steels, like the ones mentioned above.

Important Calcs:
(AV) 252+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor-Mega: 240-284 (69.9 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(Specs) 252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor-Mega: 324-384 (94.4 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

(AV) 252+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 224-264 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Specs) 252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 300-356 (85.2 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Though Specs seems like the more powerful option, AV achieves the same 2hkos, but removes the need to predict against Tapu Fini + Bulky Grounds (an incredibly common core that this team struggles with). AV also helps Magnezone check more threats late game.

(AV) 252 SpA Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 72-85 (24.4 - 28.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO
(Specs) 252 SpA Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 108-127 (38.4 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Though the damage increase from Lele seems small, AV allows Magnezone to check Lele multiple times per match, whereas if the Specs set takes one HP Fire, it cannot switch in again, for it is always 2hko'd after that.

(AV) 252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 166-196 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(Specs) 252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 248-293 (88.2 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Huge difference here. If the Specs Magnezone were to take any bit of prior damage before coming in on Greninja, it would die to Hydro Pump. AV allows it to check Ash-Greninja if my primary check, Hydreigon, was weakened or KO'd. In a metagame where Ash-Greninja can easily sweep unprepared teams and is so common on the ladder, a secondary answer can be the difference between winning and getting swept.

Medusa (Hydreigon) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Hydreigon is my Choice Scarf user that can check many threatening Pokemon like Mega-Gyarados and Mega-Charizard X (if Adamant) at +1 speed, as well as Pheromosa (if non scarfed), Mega-Metagross, Ash-Greninja, and Tapu Lele. Draco Meteor can be used as a nuke, but it's somewhat shaky to use when any Tapu + Magearna thinks they can switch in. If it's Lele, hit them with a Dark Pulse for a good chance to 2hko after rocks (252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 114-135 (40.5 - 48%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock). If it's Magearna or Bulu, you can use Flamethrower for good chip damage, or to 2hko in Bulu's case. If it's Fini or Koko, your best bet is to U-turn out into Magnezone, or whatever is best in that specific match. Flamethrower can be swapped for flash cannon if you're feeling overpowered by Tapu spam, but it's worked well so far. (Earth Power is also an option). A Hasty nature is used in conjunction with U-turn to deal more chip damage and kill more Ash-Greninja's than a Timid nature would. (Hydreigon isn't supposed to take physical hits anyway, and the higher chance to kill Greninja depending on the prior damage on it is super helpful).

Pikaboo (Mimikyu) (M) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Mimikyu is an incredibly underrated threat that, with Disguise, can boost to +2 vs basically anything, and serves as my secondary setup sweeper. When boosted by Ghostium Z and after a Swords Dance, Shadow Claw is capable of OHKOing mega-scizor, nearly every variant of the Tapus, and a plethora of other threats. Play Rough can kill Mandibuzz at +2, which sometimes tries to check Mimikyu with foul play. It can also attempt to deal with Chansey and Mega-Sableye if it isn't statused. Shadow sneak is additional priority, which is very nice for an offensive team that isn't tremendously fast, and it can deal chip damage to non Bullet Punch Mega-Metagross so Hydreigon can revenge with Dark Pulse, or my own can revenge with EQ. Mimikyu is mainly used to whittle down the opponents team and force switches as they try to check it. For example, it can help weaken Landorus-T with +1 Never-Ending Nightmare after it switches in on an SD, which is very useful for Metagross late game.

Sovereign (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Mega-Metagross is so damn good. It can be used as a monstrous wallbreaker, a revenge-killer with Bullet Punch, a check to the Tapus and other fairies, and a way to force switches and weaken physical walls, like Toxapex, Garchomp, Tapu Fini, for another member to clean up, if it needs to. Standard set, with EQ>Hammer Arm to better deal with other Mega-Metagross, to KO Magnezone/Heatran without worrying about the speed drop, and for better accuracy. Bullet Punch in particular is extremely good on this set because it can revenge Tapu Koko, Mamoswine, and out-speed Mimikyu's priority Shadow Sneak after its Disguise has been busted. Either play Metagross aggressively early game and weaken walls for something else, or keep it healthy late game to clean up after walls have already been weakened and nothing has the HP left to take its strong attacks. Don't just haphazardly switch into Wood Hammers and Thunderbolts and then get forced out by Greninja's Dark Pulse - decide if role best suits Metagross in a a particular match and play it with that strategy in mind. Mega-Metagross is a monster of a Pokemon - powerful, bulky, and fast - it can do almost anything, but it cannot do everything. An example is if Metagross is your only remaining answer to Toxapex, sack something and bring it in safely rather than switch into scald and hope for the best. But I guess that goes without saying.

Threatlist:
Shed Shell Skarm + Unaware stall (or haze): Can't trap skarm, can't overpower the team with either of the setup sweepers. Click x, hax, or hope your opponent chokes.

Ash-Greninja: AV Mag helps deal with this a lot, but it's still a threat, because nothing can really switch into it safely. Try to keep hydreigon healthy.

Tapu Fini + Bulky Ground types: Like I said, Fini can defog on many things and is hard to wear down. AV Mag remedies this too, to an extent. If you have to predict, decide if keeping up rocks is more important than conserving momentum in that match.

Mega-Gyarados/Mega-Charizard X: Set-up sweepers that resist all 3 of my priority moves (Zard takes nothing from +0 shadow sneak). Hydreigon can revenge kill, but Jolly +1 Zard outspeeds. Mimikyu cannot revenge kill either of these effectively, and Zard X tanks any 2 hits and outspeeds, and Mega-Gyarados can kill it with Mold Breaker through Disguise.

Mega-Charizard Y. Plenty on the team can revenge kill, but switchins are extremely limited.

Zapdos: Can annoy the team a lot if it's fast and/or has Heat Wave. Easily tanks any +1 attack from Gyarados.

Excadrill: Can spin on Mimikyu because Mold Breaker Iron Head OHKOs through Disguise.

Will-o-Wisp/Spikes: This team has no hazard removal or cleric, and usually does fine without one. However, hard stall teams can really pressure my team this way.

http://pastebin.com/PtnfV4HE updated version of this team
http://pastebin.com/QNZbX7Zh (alternate version I've been testing with AV tangrowth

Conclusion:
I've had a lot of fun building, laddering with, and reworking this team. It's got some neat aspects to it like a dragon/fairy/steel core, volt/turn, triple priority, as well as a Z-move and Mega-evolution. Any help/comments are greatly appreciated, from tweaking EV spreads to replacing some team members entirely, if you think it would help. Please feel free to use this team, though I ask that you keep the nicknames. Enjoy, and thank you!

Last edited:
You should really consider using some lures. I believe that all 'mons should be able to heavily pressure your opponent when it comes to offensive teams like this one. The first set change that would help breaking past the defensive threats to this team is Life Orb Freeze-Dry Mamoswine over the current Focus Sash set.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard

This set is mainly helpful because it hits Rotom and Tapu Fini for a good chunk of damage, thus helping Gyarados and Hydreigon to sweep/clean. Let's face it, none of the Ground types mentioned as Icicle Crash targets can actually win a 1v1 against any Mamoswine set, while Amoonguss gets 2HKOd by EQ after rocks. Losing Focus Sash shouldn't be that big of a deal because Mamoswine is now able to pressure some of its most common checks and priority is way too common nowadays. 2HKOing Scizor after Rocks is really cool too because it means it can't spam U-turn and not be trapped by Magnezone.

Regular Gyarados is really cool, but the current set seems more passive than it should be. I don't think Taunt actually matters against defoggers like Tapu Fini or Zapdos, because they can easily threaten Gyarados and stall can be easily pressured if you set up a good scenario for a Mimikyu sweep. Give Stone Edge a try over Taunt.

Gyarados @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge

Stone Edge Gyarados can actually KO Zapdos after Rocks, which is pretty big considering Zapdos is a threat and Gyarados is something it would take advantage of to get in. This set can also hit Zard X for super effective damage and hit Tapu Fini/Rotom for a good amount of damage after +1. Use Lum Berry if you fear status but Leftovers is better overall for recovery and the fact that the team doesn't have hazard control.

Maybe consider using a 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe spread on Magnezone in order to handle Greninja better. Tapu Fini generally runs some speed creep so the 204 EVs don't seem really optimal.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Cool team!
Thanks for the advice! I'll try out the offensive Mamoswine spread, but given that it would no longer be a pure suicide lead, would Thick Fat>Oblivious make more sense?

Stone Edge sounds cool, but it makes my matchup vs stall a bit more difficult if I lose Taunt. I'll give it a try.

Now that Mamoswine can threaten Tapu Fini and other bulky waters, you're right that I don't need to speed creep Fini.

Overall I like those suggestions, just a bit concerned about a harder stall matchup (though its not like I win anyway)

Last edited:
Hi! This is an awesome team, and I like how you're mixing in some lesser-used Pokemon as well (that Mimikyu nickname is actually genius lol). The only thing I can suggest would be:

Will-o-Wisp > Shadow Claw or Shadow Sneak on Mimikyu
With this, you make your matchup a lot better against physical attackers and a Z-Shadow Sneak is still quite powerful if you need the Ghost STAB. You could also opt for Will-o-Wisp over Shadow Sneak if you want a powerful Ghost move without wasting your Ghostium Z, but priority is also important in some scenarios.

That's all I really need to say, again, great team!

Hi! This is an awesome team, and I like how you're mixing in some lesser-used Pokemon as well (that Mimikyu nickname is actually genius lol). The only thing I can suggest would be:

Will-o-Wisp > Shadow Claw or Shadow Sneak on Mimikyu
With this, you make your matchup a lot better against physical attackers and a Z-Shadow Sneak is still quite powerful if you need the Ghost STAB. You could also opt for Will-o-Wisp over Shadow Sneak if you want a powerful Ghost move without wasting your Ghostium Z, but priority is also important in some scenarios.

That's all I really need to say, again, great team!
Hi, and I'm glad you like the team!

Z-move Shadow Claw allows me to deal massive damage to, and nearly OHKO, opposing mega-metagross, which can be very threatening depending on the set (thunder punch + ice punch variants especially). If I were to run Will-o-wisp, I would most likely replace a ghost move and use a lum berry/life orb on Mimikyu, because the Z move set really needs the coverage; while giving Gyarados a z move (subzero slammer ice fang maybe?) It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's entirely necessary. I'll experiment with it.

Thanks for the rate!

As someone who's been testing out this team with some EV changes, namely to Magnezone and Gyarados, how do you deal with Trick Room? Porygon2 stalls this team fairly hard with no fighting moves or Knock off. I honestly feel like Hydreigon may be the weak link in this team. I almost never end up using him when I'm playing the team, or that his coverage/power isn't what I've needed.

Last edited:
As someone who's been testing out this team with some EV changes, namely to Magnezone and Gyarados, how do you deal with Trick Room? Porygon2 stalls this team fairly hard with no fighting moves or Knock off. I honestly feel like Hydreigon may be the weak link in this team. I almost never end up using him when I'm playing the team, or that his coverage/power isn't what I've needed.
Hydreigon has worked for me as an answer to faster threats, a check to set up sweepers, a second ground immunity, and a check to ash greninja and mega metagross. I agree that it's power is a bit underwhelming, so if you have any suggestions I'd be happy to consider them.

That, I'm unsure.

I tried a few things in that slot, but none of them seemed that great, tbh. Mainly, I feel like you'd want a Scarfer, but the question is which. I tried Pheromosa, but that went terribly, and Ash Greninja was fun, but he didn't fix any of the issues that Hydreigon had, IMO.

That, I'm unsure.

I tried a few things in that slot, but none of them seemed that great, tbh. Mainly, I feel like you'd want a Scarfer, but the question is which. I tried Pheromosa, but that went terribly, and Ash Greninja was fun, but he didn't fix any of the issues that Hydreigon had, IMO.
Interesting idea I just had ... AV tangrowth? Can check greninja, mega gyarados, mega metagross, its a ground resist. Not fast, but then maybe mag could be changed to scarf? If you want you could try testing that

That, I'm unsure.

AV tangrowth could also run knock off to deal with the porygon 2/stall weakness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)