ORAS RU Summer Friends

INTRODUCTION

hello, for those of you that don't know me my username is chakra and got into ru around february of this year. I basically made this team to test out how effective xatu would be after the meta shifted post ttrum and megalix ban. I named the team Summer Friends because of a song off the mixtape Coloring Book that I really liked.

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS
:xatu: I started off the team with the idea of using Xatu primarily because of its relatively good MU vs most rockers allowing magic bounce to work very effectively plus its ability to pivot and function as a nice fighting check.

:xatu::sawk: I added a Sawk as it appreciated Magic bounce due to Sturdy as well as being a fantastic wallbreaker that can help with Dark type Pokemon that threaten Xatu.

:xatu::sawk::flygon: Flygon doesn't need to run Defog with Xatu around and the Banded set is one of my favourites. It also works as an effective pivot with Xatu because they both possess U-turn and therefore can switch to Pokemon like Flygon.

:xatu::sawk::flygon::registeel: Registeel provides a solid ice resist + a venu check. Furthermore, it gets up Stealth Rock and can spread status. Also, Registeel checks Ice types and Pokemon like Exploud and Meloetta which can be annoying.

:xatu::sawk::flygon::registeel::alomomola: Mola creates a very effective core with Registeel also providing a solid check against Fire types, while also being able to wish pass to heal pokemon.

:xatu::sawk::flygon::registeel::alomomola::hoopa: Scarf Hoopa provides a way to revenge Virizion and also cripple walls with trick. This is a very effective revenge killer which can help my team against Pokemon like Venusaur and Sigilyph.

TEAM OVERVIEW[/SIZE][/FONT]

geotal (Xatu) (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- Toxic
- Roost
- U-turn

As I said in the intro, Xatu was the reason I made this team. Xatu has a very good matchup vs most Stealth Rockers and also can function as a good check against fighting types. The specific set I choose allows Xatu to get up steady damage vs Bulky Pokemon like Diancie + Registeel while also being to Toxic walls like Alomomola and Slowking. Furthermore roost promotes longetivity and u-turn allows this to pivot on dark types that tend to switch in. Colbur Berry allows Xatu to live Knock Off / Pursuit from Dark type attackers while max hp and def is invested to enhance the bulk of this mon to function as a Physical Wall.

yaksok (Sawk) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Zen Headbutt
Magic Bounce leaves opponents reluctant to set Hazards therefore Xatu is a very beneficial partner for Sawk. Furthermore, Alomomola can possibily Wish it back up to full. Sawk provides a good way to break walls and can hit most things neutrally due to its coverage. Poison Jab is coverage for primarily fairy types while Zen Headbutt hits poison types. Knock Off is very useful early game in getting rid of stuff like a Golbat's eviolite or Uxie's leftovers. Close Combat is the STAB of Sawk and is primarily the most spammable move on it.

rozes (Flygon) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Band Flygon is one of my favourite Pokemon in this metagame. Functioning as a great attacker + the ability to pivot out on checks and counters makes it a formidable threat. Dragon + Ground coverage hits most things neutrally, while Flygon and Xatu form a U-turn core. Flygon definitely puts pressure on the opposing team while it can also be played very aggressively due to this set. Flygon's ground STAB also allows Flygon to target Pokemon like Mega Camerupt, Houndoom and Registeel, while Dragon STAB hits stuff that resists or is immune to Ground-type moves.

feli (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave

- Seismic Toss

Registeel is a very nice Pokemon that functions as a rocker + can spam status. I used twave over protect because this team is slow and the two band Pokemon really appreciate paralyzed Pokemon. Registeel functions as my primary Venusaur check which is a very important threat to cover. Also, Registeel is a nice check to Mega Glalie and compliments Alomomola's weaknesses very well. Registeel also provides a nice pivot to many of the Pokemon on this team. Furthermore, being a specially Defensive wall Registeel can check special attackers like Meloetta.

passion (Alomomola) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Protect

I chose Mola because it synergizes well with Registeel, but also checks a lot of Physical attackers that could threaten this team, such as Flygon, Emboar, etc. I chose to use Knock Off over Toxic because it really helps in taking off leftovers / life orb from Pokemon that switch in, while I already have toxic on Registeel. The rest of the set is pretty standard and I chose to run Bold to check physical attackers better. Mola also functions as an effective pivot similar to Registeel. Scald allows Mola to burn most of its switch ins like Venusaur and Virizion. Alomomola is particularly important for this team because it can heal up Band Flygon which has no recovery, Registeel which only has passive recovery and also get Sawk up to Sturdy health.

trashu ,_, (Hoopa) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Finally, I chose to run Hoopa as the last Pokemon. Scarf Hoopa does very well in revenge killing Pokemon such as Virizion, which can be a problem for this team without access to this. The primary reason for running Psyshock > Psychic is Virizion. Trick is used to cripple bulky walls, while Shadow Ball targets Psychic types, and Focus Blast hits Dark and Steel types primarily. Scarf Hoopa is an effective revenge killer and can also be a semidecent wallbreaker to due its great special attack stat. This is also forms a nice core with Band Flygon which can U-turn to damage Dark type Pokemon and earthquake to hit Steel types.

IMPORTABLE AND SHOUTOUTS

geotal (Xatu) (M) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- Toxic
- Roost
- U-turn

yaksok (Sawk) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Zen Headbutt

rozes (Flygon) (F) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

feli (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

passion (Alomomola) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Protect

trashu ,_, (Hoopa) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

these are most of the people I talk to / friends I have made on smog throughout my time here. Sorry if I missed you. ,_,

Amber: Andromeda. Feliburn thecrystalonix passion iGlack Yaksok Geotal -Tsunami- Lax all falls down rozes Irraquated mad0ka trash Kableye Meteordash

RU ppl: Scythe. MrAldo Ryoma Nagare DTC Lord Death Man gorex

fpoa: ceraa p2 uu iz da shizzle Ice Tea Shadestep Sonired SmashBrosBrawl Joshz (s/o woke; don't know his smog)

woa: Eien Wyn Azelea iVid Paleo Balto Mold Wanka Omega-Xis Dirpz

Last edited:

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
just to get it out of the way, great team! and nice work on getting fisted.

anyways, i was thinking of just fixing the team a little by changing some minor stuffs. firstly, i feel that while xatu is obviously very good at what it does by deterring the option of hazards (in particular stealth rock), it has a deficient match-up against arguably the second most, if not the most, common stealth rocker in diancie. i feel it still functions well against registeel as it can't get statused, obviously, and can roost off toss damage. so the thing against diancie, is that diamond storm / moonblast would outdamage / come close to hitting to 50% respectively, which means that i wouldn't necessarily count it as a way of preventing hazards as safely as having the option of hazard removal. with this, i would like to recommend the change of life orb defog > choice band on flygon. what this does, is allow for more special presence (although not really that crucial to take into weighing) and also provides defog support while upkeeping u-turn momentum. although it might seem as such that it can get easily worn down by life orb and thus not add that much value to its role, i feel that having a back-up to xatu would help in the hazards matchup.

secondly, again something quite minor of sorts, but i would like to recommend delphox > hoopa as your scarfer. what this does is that it still covers the mons that you intended with hoopa (i.e virizion), while allowing to hit a higher speed tier and having a stab to hit up against darks to compensate for its weakness to pursuit before it dies. again, somewhat of a nitpick if anything, but delphox seems to offer a better matchup against offensive threats such as opposing scarfers than hoopa in general, which is the overall idea in this change.

rozes (Flygon) (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Defog
- U-turn

trashu ,_, (Delphox) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Trick

just some changes that i felt could be worthy of testing on such a build to improve certain points about the team, but obviously the team is pretty great at what it does at this current stage. if anything, make me pick up my phone to discuss these stuffs. hope these changes helped!

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay so looking at your team, it's a nice balance team with a standard RegiMola core, 2 wallbreakers, and one cleaner. The problematic thing about RegiMola core is obviously Virizion, whose danger level is reduced by having a Scarf Hoopa, but it is still pretty threatening. Another major threat of the core is Sub + Bulk Up Braviary, which can pretty much 6-0 you if it gets a Sub, which it definitely will if it has a safe switch in versus Alomomola or Registeel, which isn't very hard to get because your Flygon can be locked into Earthquake and Braviary gets a free Sub then. Some of the more threats include Nasty Plot Houndoom, and Dugtrio + Venusaur cores, which can trap your Registeel and make Venusaur a dangerous threat to your team.

Now this suggestion is like really weird, but it also mitigates the threats which can potentially destroy your team. One good way of dealing with Braviary and Dugtrio is to change your Registeel set. I suggest you run Shed Shell with Curse over Thunder Wave. The former allows you to get out of Dugtrio's Arena Trap, making Registeel a more reliable Pokemon. I do realisze that Registeel's Leftovers is very important, and I wouldn't have suggested on a normal team, but you have Alomomola, the best Wish passer in the tier alongside Registeel, one of the best defensive Pokemon at the moment. This makes me think you will generally be able to get free Wish pass to Registeel. Moreover, Alomomola should be your premier Knock Off switch-in, and so Registeel doesn't have to lose the item. Curse allows Registeel to 1v1 Braviary as well, although it's a PP war. You could also run Iron Head over Seismic Toss to deal with Braviary much easier.

The Houndoom problem can be mitigated by running a fast Defog Flygon over Choice Band, which can handle Houndoom better. U-Turn also gives Sawk safe switch in, as well as Hoopa so it'd be pretty nice for your team. You could still run Choice Band, because Nasty Plot Houndoom is pretty rare at the moment. You could also opt for a Calm Mind Xatu set, as your team lacks a win condition, but I'll leave that for you to decide.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- U-turn / Signal Beam

Hope I helped! :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)