Sun Offense - Featuring Gardevoir!

Hey, I'm Dashspin, currently a moderator in the PS! Doubles room! ^_^
I have many doubles teams, but I realized I haven't posted a single RMT in a very long time, so I thought it would be a great idea to share with you guys one of my most successful teams so far. In my opinion, this is how competitive teams are supposed to look; no gimmicks, but still nice and fresh. Without further ado, here's the team:

BARN ALL (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power -> Drought
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- Protect

I wanted to make a team around this Pokémon. It's currently listed as an S rank threat in doubles, and I wanted to take full advantage of it. Even though this charizard has coverage problems with multiple things, it's really hard to switch into most of the time because of the sheer power of its Fire-Type moves. It can also keep the sun up really well because of its mega stone. If you switch into something like Politoed first turn, Charizard can simply mega evolve and erase the rain. For these reasons, ChariYard is a very reliable Pokémon to have on my team. This set is pretty standard, but I'll explain it anyway. Heat Wave will hit both opponents at once, SolarBeam will nail Water- and Rock-types in one turn instead of two if the sun is up, and Fire Blast will hit things hard and through Wide Guard.

At this point, I needed a good partner for it. I came up with this solution:

Twerkion (Terrakion) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Protect

Terrakion is an EXTREMELY good partner for Charizard-Y offensively.Terrakion will KO Heatran, Tyranitar, and most other rock-types with Close Combat, and will KO other fire-types with Rock Slide, such as Chandelure and especially opposing Charizard. Since this combo tends to force switches, I put Substitute on Terrakion to avoid Intimidate and possibly draw attacks away. If both aren't out, Terrakion can take choice-locked Rock Slides from Landorus-Therian and set up on it. It's also a great asset against Trick Room, allowing for extra turns if I don't manage to Taunt the user or knock it out with Bisharp. Which brings me to my next Pokémon:

Based whissp (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect

I noticed a weakness to Scarf Landorus-T, and intimidate in general. Therefore, I wanted this Defiant user. It can OHKO Landorus-Therian with a +1 Sucker Punch, and is a great asset against Trick Room, hitting most setters really hard and potentially knocking them out. Strong priority in general is really important to this team, since I have many frail hard hitters. It also has perfect neutral coverage with Terrakion, making it a great partner for that. It will also handle Lati@s really well, while ChariYard can't handle it at all.

Fanly (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

(Fanly AKA finally)
At this point, I wanted some intimidate, and Landoge seemed like a good fit because it can make use of the sun, having only a weakness to ice. It also deals with the many physical attackers in the tier quite easily, including Mega Kangaskhan, although it dislikes taking Fake Out. Needless to say, this is my primary Rock Slide switch-in. I run both Rock-type moves depending on if Wide Guard is present or not, and U-turn allows me to scout and possibly stack Intimidates. However, I'm considering replacing U-turn for Superpower so I can hit Heatran past Wide Guard.

shaian4hops (Shaymin-Sky) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Protect

If you know me at all, you know I love to use skymin. This set is pretty standard, but I like Timid to outspeed Greninja, since unfortunately it's really common, and Mat Block can get annoying. Should you be using this team for yourself, feel free to use Modest. I also really prefer Sash so that I can Earth Power past Shuca Heatran while being able to take a Heat Wave. There's really not much else to say about this set, since it's relatively standard. Skymin can still land an OHKO on Rotom-W, which is really useful.

Memoric-chan (Gardevoir) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Moonblast

Here's the only really non-standard Pokémon on my team, the one that sets this team apart from others. Gardevoir can actually take a surprising amount of physical hits, then proceed to Icy Wind a Landorus-Therian so that I can possibly KO it with something. This set is mostly outclassed by Cresselia, but it has something every team needs: Taunt. I'd probably lose to Trick Room all the time if it weren't for this. I also realize that Gardevoir is definite SubTran bait, so Taunt can prevent it from setting up a sub while I switch to something like Terrakion to take care of it. Moonblast is for offensive capability and a possible drop, while being able to severely damage Hitmontop and Scrafty, which are pretty annoying to Terrakion. Helping Hand boosted Rock Slides, Earthquakes, and Heat Wave are the bane of anything without Wide Guard, and if I suspect Wide Guard, I won't hesitate to Taunt it away. The speed investment will outspeed 4 speed Rotom-W so that I can moonblast it and beat it one-on-one. Gardevoir also is a great Dragon slayer for ChariYard.

Threatlist

This team really dislikes any kind of Speed Control. I have Bisharp to take Icy Winds, but that doesn't prevent something like a Gyarados or Thundurus from spamming Thunder Wave and screwing over my team. Trick Room + Sylveon also does really well if they manage to get it up. There's of course more, but that all I can think of at the moment.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Dashspin, I have to admit, this team is very solid and I'm glad you finally posted a Doubles RMT! :D Your team has great synergy, notably Charizard + Terrakion as Charizard takes care of Grass-type threats against Terrakion with STAB Heat Wave, while Terrakion covers Charizard's Rock-type weakness with STAB Close Combat. I'm liking the idea you have with Gardevoir acting as a support Pokemon; very unique and creative. Your team doesn't really require any major changes, but I have a few minor suggestions that can help you out in the long run.

To start off, I highly suggest changing Charizard's ability to Blaze as opposed to Solar Power; you don't want to be taking recoil damage before Mega-evolving. I'd also consider giving Charizard Flamethrower over Fire Blast due to the fact Flamethrower has a reliable 100% accuracy when compared to Fire Blast, and it will still hit the opponent hard thanks to a Sun-powered boost and STAB. Although Fire Blast would be very powerful, its 85% accuracy could potentially cost you the game if you miss, making Flamethrower the more consistent choice.

As for Terrakion, I recommend giving him Quick Guard over Substitute; this protects you from incoming Fake Outs (Kangaskhan), Prankster Thunder Waves and Swaggers (Thundurus-I and Meowstic), and priority moves such as Mach Punch from Conkeldurr (threatens Bisharp and Terrakion) and Talonflame's priority Brave Bird (threatens Skymin). Substitute Terrakion is very situational and inconsistent as there may be times where you won't need to set up a decoy for Terrakion. Quick Guard enables Terrakion to support his partner as well as himself, while Substitute is only for Terrakion's personal benefit and doesn't assist his partner at all.

The only other change I would make to your team is to give Shaymin-Sky a Modest nature instead of a Timid nature; this gives you added offensive firepower to compliment Skymin's dual STABs. He will still be able to speed tie the base 111 Pokemon with positive Speed natures, meaning Skymin will retain its ability to outspeed the majority of the Pokemon commonly utilized in the Smogon Doubles metagame. You can also consider giving Skymin STAB Energy Ball instead of Seed Flare if you find Seed Flare's 85% accuracy unreliable through the course of a number of battles.

Anyway, good luck with this team! It is already really good, but I hope my suggestions help improve your team a little more. :]

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare / Energy Ball (if you find Seed Flare's accuracy unreliable)
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Protect

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok here's my rate:
  • you said trick room bites so a simple fix would be taunt > substitute on terrakion to prevent a predicted trick room from being set up when the time for it comes.
  • this change also frees you up to use the aforementioned cresselia > gardevoir, who outside of taunt is a worse supporter really. it's much bulkier and has a better support set too. hp ground is an option to not be tran setup bait, while trick room is just to reverse opposing trick room
  • jolly is kinda excessive on scarf lando-t. there's no reason to run jolly when you've lready got scarf, so adamant > jolly to grant more power, which can be useful to revenge kill things or to just clean late-game
Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 216 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 0 Spd
- Psyshock
- Icy Wind / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room / Thunder Wave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)