SS OU Sun offense

*this team was inspired by a team I saw on Blunder's channel. He just quickly glanced it and never went over the spreads in the detail, and I made some minor adjustments.*

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Just the weather setter. Nothing special here. Try to avoid getting knocked off so that you get those 3 extra turns of sun. Be wary of Volc cuz it will use you as set up fodder, if my opponent leads w/ Volc to take advantage of this I just Toxic and switch to Blissey

Early/Mid game breaker
Charizard @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Weather Ball
- Solar Beam
- Scorching Sands

I'm so glad that Charizard is really good this gen (only w/ sun of course if you're playing in the higher tiers). Overheat + solar power + specs + sun boost makes this one move EXTREMELY difficult to switch into. For some context, overheat in the sun w/ this set will do 76-90% to Toxapex! You may think that dual fire coverage is silly, but trust me that it works. Charizard doesn't need the extra move slots anyways for this set, and the option of having a nuke like Overheat to go along w/ a 100 base power 100 accuracy reliable/spammable stab fire move in weather ball is amazing.
I tried using HDB initially since I figured Charizard would appreciate the longevity given the fact that it takes damage every turn of sun, but imho Charizard would rather have the extra power w/ specs. You have Torkoal and Mandibuzz (the best defogger in the game) for hazard control anyways. Overall, from my experience, specs has been better than HDB. Also I go w/ scorching sands since I found that I rarely click air slash. Sure it may be nice when you go up against an Urshifu but tbh even in that scenario it's better to go for Overheat or Weather Ball if the sun is up. Thus in that case, Scorching sands is better imo for coverage against Pex and the 30% burn chance makes Charizard that much tougher to switch into.

Late game sweeper/cleaner
Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Weather Ball

Venusaur is a staple on every sun team of course. The fact that it's forced to Borderline despite Drought being legal in UU speaks to it's power in the sun. Imho you want to use Venusaur for the late game after it's threats are cleared, unless you get a favorable switch/match up early on and feel like you can set up and break a considerable hole in your opponent's team. I personally like to use Toxapex as set up fodder if it's up against Venusaur. Opponents will often switch in predicting a fire move, and go for scald hoping you switch out or knock-off/toxic spikes. Of course only go for Growth once because Pex almost always has Haze.
Whenever something is neutral to all attacks, if sun is up you wanna click weather ball because it's the strongest move, unless you need recovery from giga drain of course. Many people go w/ Sludge bomb over earth power for stab and damage to fairies but from my experience Earth power is better because you can use Toxapex as set up fodder for one growth boost and then OHKO it w/ earth power. Earth power also makes Cinderace a much tougher switch in, and many people don't expect it and will switch in their Cinderace into a Venusaur predicting a giga drain or weather ball. So far I've been appreciating the extra coverage from earth power over the stab sludge bomb option, for fairies and grass mon like Rillaboom you'd rather go w/ weather ball anyways.

Defensive Pivot
Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Teleport
- Soft-Boiled

Blissey is amazing on this team, as you can lead w/ Torkoal, get the sun up, then switch to Blissey to sponge the hit, and teleport out to one of your offensive threats. Teleport in general is amazing to have on this team since Charizard is extra frail due to it's ability. Blissey is particularly great to have on this team as in situations where sun is not up, Specs Dragapault is a huge threat to this team as it outspeeds everything if sun is not up and hit like a truck w/ shadow ball and draco. But w/ Blissey, you always have a safe switch in to Dragapult. Blissey has truly been better overall this gen for the first time than Chansey since w/ HDB it's just a damn near unkillable pivot

Defensive Pivot/Hazard Control
Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Hazard control is important to this team given that one of the main offensive mons (Charizard) desperately needs it. Flying mons are always nice on sun teams anyways since you need something to switch into Excadrill or Hippowdown's EQs, as Torkoal tends to invite those mons in. Not much to this set, it's nice to have for a soft Urshifu check as well, which is why I'm running mainly phys def. Some people like to put speed EVs so that it can outspeed Aegislash but so far I've barely run into any Aegislashes anymore so I'd rather have the extra defensive investment. I like Foul Play over knock off just for the pure power, and almost every time I've used knock off instead on Mandi I'd end up regretting it.

Offensive Pivot/ Cleaner
Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Gunk Shot
Cinderace really appreciates the sun boosted Pyro Balls, given that it's such a strong move already w/ a good chance to burn, as well as the weakening of water moves of course making it a better pivot option. It's important to have a mon like Cinderace on this team, a mon that appreciate sun but doesn't NEED it to be a premier threat, as all of the other offensive mons on this team rely on the sun to be effective. Particularly in the lower ladders, you never know what's gonna happen (e.g. I faced someone who used final gambit turn 1 against torkoal and KO'd it). Along w/ it's ability to pivot w/ HDB and U-turn, it also serves as a nice revenge killer/cleaner picking up the KOs that Venusaur and/or Chairzard barely left.

Overall Sun has been quite amazing this gen, and I even think it's better than the coveted rain. I thought rain was better when DLC first came out w/ Kindgra having access to Hurricane and Urshifu RS, but w/ Toxapex absolutely walling everything I've found that rain hasn't been as effective. Overall Sun has been the best weather from my experience, as the addition of HDB makes Cinderace such an amazing option for sun teams, and Venusaur + Charizard form a duo that's essentially impossible to cover, and the teleport option from a sponge like Blissey allows a glass cannon like Charizard to safely switch in. Also, importantly, Sun gives you a number of threats against Magearna and tends to make opponent Magearnas limited in their role, which is HUGE considering how tough Magearna is to go up against even if you bring "counters."

I prefer xatu in sun because he can take the sreen can avoid the hazard (have magic bounce) and have heat wawe and psychic for beat ferro and toxa

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey Badmonting really cool team here. It's essentially standard Zard sun which is a pretty cool archetype right now. For the most part I like your version and agree with your changes to the team when it comes to stuff like Scorching Sands on Charizard since I've never had much personal success when it comes to the triple Fire Stab Charizard that you see running around a lot. However, one minor change I'd like to recommend is Rest>Toxic on your Torkoal. Even though Sun is usually defined as HO these teams have a fairly decent backbone with Blissey + Fat Bird + Torkaol, which means games aren't always ending super fast. With this in mind the ability for your Torkoal to heal itself adding to its longevity is really nice vs some fatter builds that have some countermeasures against sun. Obviously you might not use Rest every game as Torkoal can be important removing/setting rocks and getting burns/chip with Lava Plume, but there are times where simply setting sun is all the Turtle is needed for and Rest really helps in those situations where you need to put up sun for a third or fourth time that may be extremely difficult without recovery. Also one little bit on Venusaur. I really enjoy Sludge Bomb as it helps take on Rotom-Heat who can be similarly problematic for sun, especially given you're not using Focus Blast on Charizard. Obviously you can wear it down and have the tools to get past it, it's just something to keep in mind as so much of your team is geared towards Pex already.

A little extra note I'd like to make is on the always popular Xatu, Corviknight, and Mandibuzz discussion. I agree with your idea to use Foul Play on Mandibuzz especially as it better helps vs Excadrill who could be seen as problematic otherwise. Mandibuzz sees some usage on these teams as it is something that better takes hits from Cinderace. That said in the sun this EV spread is actually 2HKO'd by Pyro Ball 100% of the time. With that in mind you see people who use other options like Corviknight that will better deal with the previously mentioned Corviknight, or Xatu that helps keep hazards away and applies more pressure to stuff like Toxapex as Arceu 1er mentioned in the post above this one. I think they all have their merits and a lot of it comes down to personal preference. With that in mind I'd say give them all a try and see how it works out for you in testing.

Sorry that this is a bit of a long text for such minor stuff/minimal changes, but with a team as standard as this there really isn't a lot that can actually be changed. Hope this helps, if even a little bit though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)