Sunny Giveaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
R u l e z

To win this giveaway you have to send me a pm titled "I like trains" and answer at least at two of these questions
  1. Dream World gave to Politoed and Ninetales two abilities: Drizzle and Drought. With this improving, what's the different role of weather on 4th and 5th generation?
  2. On a so overcentralized metagame, every team, if prepared, can work well. But everyone has to build a different team. Send me via pm your different team, i will explain what i think about it at the end of this giveaway
  3. Baton Pass: should be banned?
  4. Weather Teams: should be banned?
  5. Drought + Clorophyll / Sand Stream + Sand Rush: should be banned?
Obviously, you can't write "no it shouldnt" or stuff like that, but you have to explain clearly what you think.

-------------------

P r i z e s

Now, that's the part you like, the prizes. You can get one of these Larvesta, via file. They are not for trade. You can't trade them. You will be blacklisted immediately otherwise. Rewards are totally legit, RNG'ed by myself. If you want, check them as you wish

Larvesta
OT: Bruno (57300)
Nature: Timid
Ability: Flame Body
IVs: 31 - 31 - 31 - 30 - 31 - 31 {Electric 70}
EVs: UT
Moveset: String Shot / Morning Sun / Hidden Power / Fire Blast
Availability: 5th gen - LV1
Notes: Japanese - Emulator used

Larvesta
IVs: 31 - 30 - 31 - 30 - 31 - 31 {Grass 70}

Larvesta
IVs: 31 - 30 - 30 - 31 - 31 - 31 {Ice 70}

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why has no one responded to this? Good luck with the giveaway Bruno!

For now, 5 users sent a pm without reply :)

When the giveaway will be closed (24h, more or less), i'll say what i think of each one

Results
3- Baton Pass shouldn't be banned, it's a valid playstyle. What makes it look like it's broken it's the use of Magic Bounce Espeon, who is immune to phaze and status. To solve this, we could: Ban Magic Bounce (not viable, cause Xatu is gonna pay for something he didn't do), Ban Espeon (probably viable, but i wouldn't like to lose him) or Ban BP + Magic Bounce (probably the best shot, but i dunno if viable enough).

4- Weather teams shouldn't be banned either. What makes weather look like it's broken it's their abusers. Excadrill, Thundurus and the likes are the only things that are virtually unstoppable inside their respective weathers. So, why ban a whole playstyle when you can only ban the abusers who are overpowered in it? Probably the solution would be ban the abusers (as it already happened with Exca and Thundurus).

Vote: 7
1 - More teams in the 5th generation should be preparing for any team that is based on weather. This can either make battles more even or a blowout if you’ve prepared for the wrong weather. Also any weather team has to prepare to battle a weather team and will have to adapt their strategy to when the opponent sends out their weather pokemon. The weather teams will have to protect their weather pokemon to ensure that they achieve the supported weather.

5 - Drought + Clorophyll should not be banned. Only Lilligant, Sawsbuck, and Venusaur will likely see play in OU. Of these Venusaur has the highest chance of being seen.
Sand Stream + Sand Rush should not be banned. As Excadrill is uber it will have to compete with Groudon and Kyogre changing the weather. This leaves only Stoutland as a Sand Rush user in OU.
With so little choices in abusing Chlorophyll or Sand Rush this strategy should not be banned. And as always being prepared helps in taking these strategies down.

Vote: 7+
3 - I don't think so. If you have good priority or something like Perish Song, you can stop BP cold. It can be pretty tedious to set up, and I don't hear about it much.

4 - No. Just because weather is super-popular doesn't mean it's broken. You can simply counter with other weather or with pokemon who can take advantage of it. One could argue that this is over-centralization, but any good strategy is going to be eventually overused to death.

Vote: Meh
3 - Baton pass shouldn't be banned. It is a strategy. You can also shut down baton passers with taunt so it isnt that deadly good strategy.

4 - Weather teams should be banned. It has changed the metagame so much and ruined it. Every team I see is weather.

Vote: Meh too (even if i agree on 4th point)
1 - Weather teams are used way more. This extra feature is set automatically. Not only is that an benignity but the effect powers up pokemon. So you can have a team which includes all pokemon that are benefited my rain or sun.

2 - Well my team is based on the VGC tier. It is krook scarf, staraptor, hitmontop, chandelute, blastoise, and stouland. The main point of this team is to trick people by using pokemon that they are not used to. Chandelure was on of my first pokemon that was included to stop TR with imprision. But after many battles, I found that trick room was helpful in some occasions. Thats why I added a modest btr blastoise. Blastoise is basically an attacked with water gem scald. At the same time, it is bulky. I then added hitmontop because it can adapt to trick room and non trick room environements. I also added it because of its ability intimidate. But i was getting doubts about what would happen if tr ended. I didnt want to give blastoise icy wind so I added an adamant tr stoutland with intimidate also, This is basically my t-wave dude and I can switch to chandelure whenever theres a fighting type pokemon. After that, I didnt want to make my team all tr based and I wanted to have intimidate so I added choice krookdile. Krook for some reason has been and awesome help. Finally, i added staraptor because of indimidate and flight gem brave bird.

3 - Baton pass shouldnt be banned because when u use a stat raising move, ur always putting ur self in danger so its a risk.

Vote: 7 1/2 (Rate later via pm)
1 - Weather became a huge part of the metagame when Drizzle and Drought stopped being Uber-exclusive. Before the 5th Gen, the only commonly seen weather was Sand due to the prevalence of Tyranitar (both on RSE and DPPt) and Hippowdon (on the latter). Thanks to Sand's effect, Sand-abusing teams were usually Stall-based, taking advantage of residual damage and forcing switch-ins.

Hail, on the other hand, didn't see much use. While Hail's biggest advantage was hitting every type, except for Ice, it was also its main drawback: players were forced to use many Ice-type Pokémon to avoid the constant damage, which shared weaknesses (most importantly, to Stealth Rock). Moreover, Hail didn't have nearly as many good Pokémon to abuse it, and became almost unseen.

With the introduction of DW abilities, Drizzle and Drought in special, the metagame took a swift turn. Pokémon with Swift Swim and Chlorophyll were now usable - they didn't have to save a moveslot or team mate to use a finite Rain Dance/Sunny Day - and most importantly, they were now usable in OU. Also, the number of Pokémon that benefit from Rain or Sun is significantly higher than any other weather, allowing for the creation of powerful team combinations and strategies; and some moves had their effects updated to become stronger under the weather, such as Growth.

Weather became strong not only because it is a force to be reckoned with, but because it's an answer to itself: by bringing your own weather summoner to the field, you change the weather to your own, effectively turning the tables of match - your sweepers get stronger and your opponent's, weaker without their weather.

Weather is, without a doubt, the most proeminent playstyle of the 5th Generation. Every team needs to be able to handle it, be with their own weather abusers or not.

3 - No, as there are many ways to go around it. Baton Pass' golden days were in RSE, when the game was more balanced and attacks were (in comparison) weaker. As such, it was easier to handle strong sweepers, set up your chain and win. It should be noted that most of the best sweepers in ADV used set up moves (Calm Mind Raikou/Celebi/Jirachi, Dragon Dance Tyranitar/Salamence...), which allowed the BP player to have time to answer with their own stat boosts.

The 4th and 5th Generations, however, are immensely more offensively-oriented. It's much harder to stay alive, let alone stall now, with dangerous items such as Choice Scarf and Life Orb around. In particular, Pokémon with a Speed-boosting Ability such as Swift Swim, or holding a Choice Scarf, can be especially dangerous to a Baton Pass team, by outspeeding and rendering Agility boosts useless. And Baton Pass is especially frail in that, if you let a Pokémon be KO'ed, it's hard to make a comeback: you lose all your boosts and an important piece of your chain.

While that's the offensive answer to a Baton Pass chain, there are also defensive ones. Roar, Whirlwind, Circle Throw and Dragon Tail are all very effective against a Baton Pass team, as long as Ingrain isn't in effect; Haze works best, and can almost guarantee a win against Baton Pass; and Pokémon with the Ability Unaware will still be able to wall anything Baton Pass sweepers throw at them, by ignoring the stat boosts.

Vote: 9+
3 - Personally believe baton pass should not be banned. While baton pass (espically smash pass) can be fearsome to face. It must first set up it can be stopped via taunt, snatch, or phazeing. Granted baton pass teams all have ways to defeat these counters i.e. magic bounce, suction cups, and other means it is by no mean uncounterable. It part of pokemon if both people are using well built team and baton pass comes out on top then that Player simply out played the other.

4 - This is a more difficult one to answer, but again I say no. The most powerful abusers like excadrill, garchomp, and swift swim have since been banned. I honestly believe that while many teams are weather teams weather is not nessary to succeed. There are other viable playstyles. It also may be too soon now to see of weather is a centralizing after the recent bans of Exca and Thunder bro so at the very least people should wait and see how the metashifts.

Vote: 7 1/2
3 - I don't think Batton Pass should be banned because baton pass is not the problem. The problem is SmashPass. I think we should either ban ShellSmash+Baton Pass or bank Gorybyss and Smeargle (maybe even huntail). If we ban baton pass it means many other pokemon cant use it. E.G. Vaporeon can't use it to scout and tank while wishpassing. Espeon cant use it to get out of Pursuit and Ninjask would become entirely useless. We shouldn't ban Baton Pass because it limits other Pokemon when Shell Smash is the only reason that it is broken.

Vote: 6 1/2
3 - Baton Pass: should be banned?
Nope. Although baton pass teams are a force to be feared, there are moves like Roar and Haze that, if played well, can screw up their whole strategy in a blink, plus teams that focus on entry hazards murder them as well because they seek to cause as many switches as possible.

4 - Nope. If you lose to one of them for being unprepared then it is your fault, just like every pokemon, every weather has its weakness. Let's take sandstorm for example: only a few pokemon like excadrill and tyranitar benefit directly from it, the rest only use the residual damage at the end of the turn to break sashes or get into stall wars, but then again rock, ground and steel pokemon are fairly common on any team and might perfectly counter part of your team while the rest finishes off. Next let's consider rain and sun, either one limits your choices when picking your team, it would be really gimmick to pick fire types for a rain team, which makes the likes of ferrothorn, scizor and forretress much harder to take down.

5 - Nope. Because unlike Drizzle + Swift swim combo, none of the pokemon with these abilities gets a stab AND a damage boost due to weather at the same time. Besides, Clorophyll pokemon are all grass types, so that means they get more speed in exchange for an enchanced weakness to fire type attacks (and they don't get any enchanced stab at all) while water types still have a resistance against water type attacks under rain. On sandstream's side, those pokemon only get either a special def. boost (rock types) or a speed boost (which is only "broken" in Excadrill's case) but no damage boosts at all (unless they have sand force, but +speed > +power 90% of the time).

Vote: 8+

Later, if you wish, i'll comment each answer. The winners are...
2 different Larvesta for Luxpluff and Zero2Exe
One Larvesta for czechm8, Nachocheese999

Choose what you want, i'll send you files tomorrow, hope you enjoyed this Giveaway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)