Sun's Out Guns Out

It's summer!!! And down here in Florida it's not any different than it is the rest of the year. Hot, as always. With Gen 6 around the corner, I'm trying to get in a good Gen 5 1/2 team in to have a modifiable template for X and Y. With this offensive sun team, I combine everything needed to get comfortable in the summer sun, and I welcome it with arms wide, wide, wide open.

Sunshine (Weather Inducer/Entry Hazard Lead)

Groudon: Impish @ Leftovers
252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpD
Earthquake | Stealth Rock | Fire Punch | Roar

Groudon is a returning pokemon from my previous team with different EV placement and the addition of Roar for Dragon Tail and T-Wave switched for Fire Punch. Earthquake is so I don't get screwed by Taunt. Earthquake is enough to 2HKO standard Darkrai. I was thinking about going Lum but I weighed the benefits of HP restoration vs first turn status and I ended up going with the HP. Stealth rock makes Kyurem-W's enemies ripe for the picking. The prehistoric monter also helps take care of Zekrom and rock types that threaten Kyurem-W.

Kid After Finals Enjoying the Sun (The Main Sweeper)

Kyurem-W: Modest @ Choice Specs
4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Draco Meteor | Ice Beam | Earth Power | Fusion Flare

The reason I made this team. Moves, EVs, and Choice Specs are standard nuke artist. Focus Blast and Fusion Flare are obviously for type coverage and to abuse that sky high SpA. Everything is easily dented by it's STABs. "Go crazy" has never before been such an appropriate statement.

Tank Top (The Tank)

Ho-oh: Adamant @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP | 176 Atk | 84 SpD
Sacred Fire | Brave Bird| Tailwind | Roost

Latias used to be here. Never. Again. Effeminate dragons are unnatural. Ho-oh provides some much needed special defense bulk and another great source of sun abuse. Sacred Fire is one of the scariest moves in pokemon, especially under sun with STAB. Brave Bird is a nice stab, Tailwind is for support, and works well on such a bulky bird. Roost is Roost. I love Roost.

Sunscreen (The Spinblocker/Tank)

Giratina-Origin: Impish @ Griseous Orb
184 Atk | 252 Def | 72 Spe
Stone Edge | Shadow Sneak | Dragon Tail | Will-O-Wisp

Giratina-O is one awesome son of a bitch. Not only is he an amazing spinblocker, but also his STABs give him great coverage in the uber tier. While I cannot place an item on this antimatter dragon, he/she still plays a crucial role on the team and prevents the likes of Blazeiken or Extremekiller Arceus from steamrolling the damn team. Moves are standard in order to burn physical attackers like Zekrom and phaze or use one of it's STABs. EV's are for offensive potential as well as quickness and bulk.

Mosquito Repellent (The Wall/Dragon Counter)

Arceus-Water: Timid @ Splash Plate
252 HP | 200 SpD | 56 Spe
Perish Song | Ice Beam | Flamethrower | Recover

This guy, who replaced Steel-Arceus has been recommended many a time and after using him a little bit, I'm beginning to see why. In the past, my teams have struggled against strong and fast dragon types, namely Palkia, Dialga, and Reshiram. Well no more! Arceus forces out annoying substitute sets with Perish Song, Flamethrower abuses the sun, ice beam knocks dragons out of the sky, and recover is obvious.

Multi-Tool (The Physical Edge)

Genesect: Hasty @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk | 4 SpA | 252 Spe
U-Turn | Iron Head | Explosion | Ice Beam

Genesect is my annoying little U-Turner. Semi-suicidal in a pinch, this Mewtwo terminator (haha do you get it?) provides a nice physical side to my offense. And he is crazy good. Like a Pop-Tart. As a steel-type he also serves as a nice back-up dragon-type troller.

Well, I hoped you liked the team! Rate, hate, steal, and luvdisc if you liked!

Hi. Overall, your team is very solid, having checks/counter to common Uber pokes. I will just leave some suggestions for your team.
Groudon: Groudon should run Stone Edge/Rock Slide over Fire Punch it hits Ho-Oh and Rayquaza (two common physical attackers it should wall) rather than Forretress and Ferrothron. Also, make it a habit to speed creep your pokemon. Groudon will outspeed univested base 90's like Ho-Oh with just a little investment. The Groudon set should look like this.
Groudon @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Roar

Kyurem-W: the set looks pretty good. You don't really need timid because you have the base 90's/95's covered besides Kyurem-W (how ironic) and Reshiram. Speaking of which, nothing on your team wants to take hits from those two, but you would have to alter your team structure to fix that problem (if that is a major concern for you)
Latias: the Latias set is unique, which is good. One thing you might want to change would be moving some of the SpA into HP. 204 SpA is only needed to OHKO Forretress with Thunder. By having more HP, setting up CM and Tailwind will be easier (and just being bulkier). Keep in mind that 40 SpA is needed to OHKO 0/0 Palkia after rocks.
Giratina-O: the only logical reason why Stone Edge should be on Giratina-O is for Ho-Oh. Groudon has been changed to deal with that so you should run Earthquake over Stone Edge. This allows you to beat Tentacruel and Excadrill, two common spinners. Also, 84 Speed is needed to outspeed uninvested base 100's, aka Tentacruel. Just move the Spd up and the Atk down by 12.
Arceus-Steel the moveset is very good. The EV's should have a minor adjustment. 252 Spd and Timid allows you to tie with other Arceus. However, 176 Spd allows you to outspeed positive natured base 110's (Lati@s and Lugia). The spread will be 248 HP / 80 SDef / 176 Spd with a Timid nature. I find the extra bulk worth more than the speed tie because it still lets you have a change to beat other CM Arceus's.
Genesect: the moveset is also good. The speed EV's should be changed. 228 allows to outspeed neutral Cloyster after a Shell Smash. 248 outspeeds Timid Scarf Hydreigon. 224 Outspeeds +1 Jolly Rayquaza (DDRay). Pick your favorite. DDRay is the most common, so I recommend that. Having less Spd also means that you outslow other Genesect, so you get your U-Turn after their U-Turn. This gives you a chance to bring an answer to their poke. The other EV's go into SpA to boost Ice Beam. My last change I will say is to change Hasty to Naive. You can take Extremespeed's better, and give opposing Genesect a SpA boost (most Genesects are physical).
Hopefully this rate will help you on the ladder.

Wow, thanks for the fantastic rate. It's evident that you put a lot of time into your rate and included many well thought out points that I will definitely take into account.

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
Wow, thanks for the fantastic rate. It's evident that you put a lot of time into your rate and included many well thought out points that I will definitely take into account.
That's just how Donkey rates teams, (not trying to insult you or anything Donkey) he pointed out a problem but providing a solution would need too many changes.

Dialga can come in vs Gene, Latias, Arc-steel, and sometimes Tine-o, then pretty much proceed to kill something with Dragon stab+Fire blast. Come to think of it, your whole team hates special dragons in general. Palkia, Dialga, Reshiram can hurt you a lot.

Arc-Steel really blows on a sun team, it is meant to take on dragons but all it can do is take on dragons that are locked into a dragon move. Because when you're faced with something like Dialga, it can switch in on Dpulse but is then forced out by Fireblast.

To help this problem I suggest an Arceus-Water>Arceus Steel.

Arceus' set:

Arceus-Water @Splash Plate
252 HP / 200 SpDef / 56 Spe
Trait: Multitype
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Flamethrower
-Perish Song

Arceus-Water provides a switch into Kyogre (watch out for thunder), Kingdra,
Dialga, etc. Recover is obv, Ice beam smacks Ray, the latis, and groudon. Flamethrower is on the set for hitting Dialga in the sun, Ferro and forre in the sun, etc, and Perish Song forces out CM Ogre, SubCM Latias, etc.

Having Arc-Water means that Latias isn't really needed, so I suggest putting on a mon that can deal with CM Arc-Ghost>Latias, because CM Arc-Ghost steam rolls you right now.

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
And Donkey, Groudon survives a Draco Meteor and Roars or Earthquakes back.
Why would you want to potentially lose your Groudon? What if they have a Kyogre? Dialga is common on rain teams because of the resistances it brings.

252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 398-468 (98.51 - 115.84%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

It doesn't if it is offensive, and you won't have a way of telling whether it is or not if you don't have SR up and it hasn't taken any damage (not likely but still). Then there is the argument of why the heck Dialga stays in vs Groudon.

Trainer Au, you've enlightened me. Everything you've said thus far seems legit. By the way, my sincere message of thanks was addressed to Master Totoro, not ridiculing Donkey. I know how Donkey does. Thanks for the rate, changes will be made, although Latias may just have to stay because if not only because of tailwind...

Kind of an odd question but what part of Florida are you from? Representing from Miami here!

Anyway, onto the team. I really like it. I don't know much about Ubers but it looks like a spinner would help your team a bit. Your main sweeper is weak to rocks, and if you get poison spikes up (I don't really know if there is a problem with that in Ubers) then this team might be slightly screwed. It may also be nice to put Wish on your Latias instead of Roost. It may not be instant recovery, but being able to pass the recovery onto other pokemon if needed is really nice.

What trainer au is saying is also true. Now granted not much can take this already but a choice specs blue flair from a reshiram in the sun and STAB....Not much can take that to begin with, but your Arceus-Steel, Genesect, and possibly even your Kyurem-W would be goners after that.

Just some food for thought :)

@Hopkinc1
Miami man! Actually, Coral Gables to be exact!

FLORIDA REPRESENT

Anyway, I'm about to make some huge changes to this team incorporating all advice given to me about special dragon weakness from Trainer Au and yourself. Check back sometime soon, maybe even tomorrow, to see what I've done.

Yeah, sorry bout that mess-up. I overestimated Arceus-Steel bulk to take fire hits (I use it on rain teams). Unfortunately, the sun roasts it. Sun support Arceus-Water is a great choice though (from above).

Edit: Regarding Hopkinc1's post, Roost/Recover (no diff on Latias)> Wish because Latias needs the HP quickly to tank hits from Kyogre and others.

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
Trainer Au, you've enlightened me. Everything you've said thus far seems legit. By the way, my sincere message of thanks was addressed to Master Totoro, not ridiculing Donkey. I know how Donkey does. Thanks for the rate, changes will be made, although Latias may just have to stay because if not only because of tailwind...
Hey no problem, glad I could help! Sorry for the mix up on who you were addressing. One last thing though, I don't know if you are planning to change Arc's EVs later, but as of right now, they aren't what they should be. Refer to my other post for the spread, other than that, it looks pretty solid! Good luck in all your battles!

@Hopkinc1
Miami man! Actually, Coral Gables to be exact!

FLORIDA REPRESENT

Anyway, I'm about to make some huge changes to this team incorporating all advice given to me about special dragon weakness from Trainer Au and yourself. Check back sometime soon, maybe even tomorrow, to see what I've done.
Bro! I live in Palmetto Bay, like 15 minutes away! The thunderstorm coming through here is a complete and total bitch! Anyway, I can't wait to see the team, and I'll be more than happy to battle it (once I actually get an ubers team made hahaha)

@Hopkinc sounds great! Storm seems to be over for now. And yeah man lets battle sometime. My wifi has been a bit... rebellious as of late and I'll PM you sometime.

And thanks for all the rates guys, I just need a few thoughts on the editions I made recently and I'll be good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)