Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Pic of the day. Here's a new Wii U stage, Mushroom Kingdom U! It brings to life the worlds of New Super Mario Bros. U.

When Kamek casts a spell, the stage transforms drastically! That said, this is not what you would call a moving stage… …By the way, this stage will be playable in the demo version of the game for E3, a game expo that starts on June 10 in Los Angeles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
P:M literally adds arbitrary tech skill requirements to the game, as if that is what makes a competitive game worth playing. That's the fucking problem with the FGC community in general and also why I like Brawl, as it has a very low barrier to entry. It's not perfect but then what game is? Melee players bash Brawl like DotA players bash League.
It's a different style and both should be respected; just because Chess doesn't make you mash buttons really fast to execute moves doesn't make it a bad game.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here is what really gets me, from Brawl > Smash 4 we have had no new games from the following franchises:

-Star Fox
-F-zero
-Mother
-Ice Climbers (meh)
-Game Watch (lol)

Not to mention Metroid Other M being the only recognized Metroid series game, the shafting of Prime is real and obnoxious since it has the superior designs. Only Nintendo would have so few franchises that it cannot even find time to explore them all. I am really, really hoping for a new Star Fox, that 3D port doesn't count for what we really need (a removal of the command art style).

P:M literally adds arbitrary tech skill requirements to the game, as if that is what makes a competitive game worth playing. That's the fucking problem with the FGC community in general and also why I like Brawl, as it has a very low barrier to entry. It's not perfect but then what game is? Melee players bash Brawl like DotA players bash League.
It's a different style and both should be respected; just because Chess doesn't make you mash buttons really fast to execute moves doesn't make it a bad game.
I'd like to add- If a game has a competitive scene, then its value should be in its strategic depth, and what players from both games have shown time and time again is that playing either brawl or melee yields equal levels of expertise and capability in playing smash in general. When I see people saying "brawl players suck lolol" it just makes me laugh because so many top tier brawl players also perform up to scratch in PM- because when you boil it down they're very similar games. The skills you learn are transferable. Hell, anyone here who plays multiple tiers/gens here should know this. The little difference between iterations of the game rarely change the way it challenges you as a player to perform. As much as I thought BW OU was the worst tier we've ever had, it doesn't make the achievements of those who performed best in it any less than those who play GSC (arguably the grittiest tier) because at the end of the day to be that good at it obviously means you're better than everyone else. And a portion of those people that you're better than will be the ones who also play the other tier/game thats "better".

Personally I think the more you restrict access to strategic options in a competitive game, whether it be in a TCG through card exclusivity, or a fighting game through tech prowess, or whatever, the more it limits the metagame. People can only play with what they can use. Part of why I like simulator mons so much is that I dont have to worry about breeding and getting items and so on- I can jump straight in, with the tools I want, against someone else who has all the tools they want, and duke it out without worrying that my intended team build has been compromised because of factors I can't really address without pouring an obsessive amount of time in. Its accessible. Possibly the most accessible competitive game out there (alongside Guns of Icarus). And ultimately that's why I don't buy the "melee is better" argument. Unless you spend hours mastering various techs, a significant amount of the strategic depth of the game is off limits to you, and you have to do this on top of learning the metagame.

Ehh, P:M is pretty different from Brawl. While the skills between the two are transferable, you have to note that while people like Mew2King and ZeRo place high in Brawl and Project M respectively, they always seem to lose in the finals or later stages of the tournament to more dedicated players. You can't really compare the games to Pokemon because tech skill reqs and strategizing are two very different skills.

Project M is literally Project Melee. It's not made to replace Brawl or introduce tech skill into Brawl or anything. It was made to introduce the new characters and stages from Brawl into a Melee physics environment to appeal to both worlds.

The entry barrier requirement is just subjective. Some people like the high entry barrier, some prefer a low entry barrier. I personally hate competitive Brawl and love watching and playing P:M and Melee, but I understand that Brawl has it's merits and fan base. Mr.E I agree with your overall sentiment, but I don't think that the introduction of tech skill in P:M was arbitrary at all. The mod was intended to emulate Melee, and that's just how it plays.

Ehh, P:M is pretty different from Brawl. While the skills between the two are transferable, you have to note that while people like Mew2King and ZeRo place high in Brawl and Project M respectively, they always seem to lose in the finals or later stages of the tournament to more dedicated players. You can't really compare the games to Pokemon because tech skill reqs and strategizing are two very different skills.
Well the point wasn't that top players always place top no matter what smash game they play, but that when they do switchup whichever game theyre playing they're far from incompetent. Their understanding of the fundamentals in their main game is easily applicable, most of the groundwork for understanding the game on a winning level is already there. Obviously, the players more dedicated to that particular game will beat those that aren't, regardless of other experience. But like, if you dropped a top BW player into ADV and gave them a quick run through of the meta they'd be rising up the ranks in no time, and vice versa. Same is true if you look at MTG and Hearthstone for example, many of the best HS players are also well versed in Magic. And smash is no different. In Playing to Win, Sirlin writes that theres a noticable correlation between people who end up being the best in their chosen game and their understanding of similar games.

While I don't disagree the preference of entry barrier is subjective, I still feel it limits metagame development.

(I barely found this thread? Wow.) I'm hopefully gonna love Mega Man in this game, as it is my favorite video game character. Good thing Nintendo cares more about the Blue Bomber than Capcom, and didn't make it a tub of fucking lard like in Street Fighter X Tekken.
I personally think he will be a great fighter, by raping everything with Metal Blade, (which was my personal favorite strategy in MM2 :D) Slash Claw and Flame Sword for close combat, and Hard Knuckle for sending things FLYING across the screen after a good hit. Rus, our favorite robo-dog will help out for recovery, by using it's Rush Coil form which seems to go super high. Maybe use Leaf Shield for some protection and starting combos? Looks good to me.

I overall think Mega Man will be a great addition to the roster and is welcome to stay. Hopefully.

Pic of the day. Some stages have been shrunk down and made into trophies, like this one of Tortimer Island for the 3DS version. I wish I could have a figurine like this in real life.

Pic of the day. Here's a new item that we've thrown in--the boomerang. As you'd guess, it'll fly back into your hands after you throw it, and if you keep catching it, its attack power grows with each throw! However, opponents can nab the boomerang out of the air, so it might be an easier item to use in Smash Run.

And everything I say with a picture is quoted from Masahiro Sakurai.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus

Pic of the day. Here's a new item that we've thrown in--the boomerang. As you'd guess, it'll fly back into your hands after you throw it, and if you keep catching it, its attack power grows with each throw! However, opponents can nab the boomerang out of the air, so it might be an easier item to use in Smash Run.
Sudden Death + Max Handicaps + Boomerang = Boomerang Volley Death Match

Pic of the day. Here's Ike, Marth and…a brand-new stage!

We've added a familiar setting from the Fire Emblem series, the Coliseum. In the original game, this place is filled with both hope and despair. There is machinery in the ground that activates variable platforms.

Pic of the day. Remember the video that introduced Greninja joining the battle? Every Pokémon that appeared in that video will make some kind of appearance in Super Smash Bros! By the way, here's one of the Pokémon that didn't make an appearance in that video--Meloetta. Its vocal attacks reflect off land forms, so they'll be especially effective in a closed environment.

In just a few hours we're almost certainly going to get a blockbuster character reveal. It feels like Christmas Eve. The anticipation is to die for. I can't wait for the internet to shit itself with the reveal of Ridley / Mewtwo / Pac Man / Shadow / Some other character that would make everyone go nuts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)