Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Yes, Robin is the player made character in Fire Emblem: Awakening. And yes that's the generic name for the English version of the game. You obviously can change the name in the game and what not.

Robin is just a gender neutral name, and was the default name in FEA so they just went with that since they are using the default models too.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
MRW when Robin/Lucina revealed

I am this close to buying a Wii U now

Assuming all of Robin's tomes follow the same pattern as the Thunder one, it should be
Fire -> Elfire -> Arcfire -> Bolganone
Wind -> Elwind -> Arcwind -> Rexcalibur
Flux -> Nosferatu -> Ruin -> Waste

Stratos

Banned deucer.
its not likely that they do, though. For one, all of the tomes shown were the second level except Thunder, and for two, it wouldn't make sense for a character to have four chargable B moves. As much as i'd like to hear him yell "bologna!" every time i used his side-b, i doubt it

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Does anyone even know what is going on here with that statue version? It's not the same Falcon model is this some Palutena attack.

GameXplain said it was Metal box.

By the way... Does anyone know who is being attacked in the bottom left image?
It looks like a color changed Sheik, but I'm not 100% positive whats going on.

Hurray for clones. Whichever one is faster out of Lucina/Marth will probably get used. The other will remain a shadow. Such a travesty for a character with a shetton of potential.

Anybody know whos in game speed stat is naturally higher?

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
So Chrom wasn't added because he would have been just another swordsman, while Lucina reeks of Marth clone. I get that Lucina being ever-so-slightly different from Marth is strictly better than having her be an alternate costume, but this is silly.

Hurray for clones. Whichever one is faster out of Lucina/Marth will probably get used. The other will remain a shadow. Such a travesty for a character with a shetton of potential.

Anybody know whos in game speed stat is naturally higher?
Lucina has variable speed based on who her mother is and it hardly matters because I think Ike's speed in his first game is higher than marth's

Kinda strange reasoning. He decided not to add Chrom so as to avoid having yet another Fire Emblem sword-wielder, but Lucina got it because she was only a little different than Marth and got upgraded from costume to full-on character. She's not replacing or stealing anyone's spot so ultimately it really doesn't matter though. I was hoping that she would at least have some different attacks and a bit more variability in some attributes (attack speed, recovery, jump, etc).

So Chrom wasn't added because he would have been just another swordsman, while Lucina reeks of Marth clone.
Yeah, I don't really get Sakurai's comment of "not wanting another swordsman." Lucina somehow got added anyway.
Kinda strange reasoning. He decided not to add Chrom so as to avoid having yet another Fire Emblem sword-wielder, but Lucina got it because she was only a little different than Marth and got upgraded from costume to full-on character.
It's obvious why. Lucina is just a skin with slightly different hitbox properties, something that could be finished in not even a week. Chrom would've been a completely new character, meaning that they would have to create a new model, design a brand new moveset, and constantly playtest and tweak him to make sure that he's balanced with the rest of the cast. And considering that only half of the confirmed cast is ready to be presented after two years in development, it's safe to say that it would take much longer.

breh

強いだね
since I mentioned this on IRC and nobody remembered it but jrp (who found the link in the first place), here's an interesting link from a while ago.

So far, we've got 36 characters out. Who remains?

Likely:

Game and Watch (technically confirmed?)
Jigglypuff
Ness
Wario
Ganondorf
Meta Knight
Ice Climbers (how could I have forgotten???)

In that article:

Geno
Layton

Speculation:

Lucas (this is kinda questionable; there's no good reason to cut Lucas, if only because I can see Mother 3 getting a legit localization soon)
Falco
Rob
Mewtwo
Wolf
Snake
Ridley

If we're being pretty conservative, it looks like we'll have about 47 characters at the very least.

Last edited:

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Game and Watch's status is kinda confusing - it would've been really easy to confirm him after Pac-Man's Trailer, and the fact that he hasn't been yet is disconcerting. Jigglypuff, Ness, Wario, Ganondorf and Meta Knight all seem like given veterans.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
I think Sakurai made a mistake with the G&W in Pacman's trailer, because now a bunch of people already consider him confirmed, a bunch have no idea, and even more have various different views on the matter. I kinda thing G&W is just going to be quietly ignored until its time for a full roster reveal, or just when the game comes out and people unlock/see him.

If Game & Watch isn't in, then Sakurai might as well eat an entire Gameboy and shit it out on Gunpei Yokoi's grave. There's no way they'd cut the first handheld character from the first handheld Smash Bros.

I think it helps to rationalize the Lucina/Chrom thing by thinking of it this way: Lucina was going to be in anyway. She's extremely popular in Japan AND her in-game story of pretending to be Marth means they can make her an easy clone with little work. What Sakurai was debating was between Chrom and Robin, and I think we can all agree that Robin is a 10000x better choice because of his unique moveset and playstyle. It would be hard to make another generic blue-haired swordsman have an interesting moveset what with so many swordwielders, and making him a clone of Ike or Marth would have just been bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)