Super Smash Bros. Brawl Discussion Thread

I love Captain Falcon. I've been playing him for about 4 months now, and think he's a lot better then people give him credit for. He combos very well, so who ever says Brwal has no combos is wrong. I can get 2-4 hit combos consistently. Also, his recovery is so much better than in either Melee or SSB, and his air games are ridiculous. The vertical improvement and the ability to DI his Up-B make him a lot better edge guarder and hogger.

I love Captain Falcon. I've been playing him for about 4 months now, and think he's a lot better then people give him credit for. He combos very well, so who ever says Brwal has no combos is wrong. I can get 2-4 hit combos consistently. Also, his recovery is so much better than in either Melee or SSB, and his air games are ridiculous. The vertical improvement and the ability to DI his Up-B make him a lot better edge guarder and hogger.
Yeah, but that comes at a cost to his horizontal recovery, which is much worse because he no longer gets that crucial second jump after Falcon Kick.

I have no problem with his horizontal recovery because of the speed at which you move when you DI horizontally. And his Up-B travels pretty damn far horizontally as well.

A friend of mine got first place with Yoshi. I swear he plays one of the best Yoshis in the world. I can't really be sure, but he is absolutely ridiculous with Yoshi.
Some people are just good with random characters.
Yoshi has become one of my worst match-ups on wifi if I'm Lucario.
Metaknight owns him, by far, so I've been using Metaknight more often.
BTW, where did you finish?

BTW, where did you finish?
Honestly, I have no idea. I won my first match, though it was against a typical Toon Link Dair spammer, so that's really nothing to be proud of. Then I lost against a Wolf (who, shockingly, wasn't spamming his laser), and then I lost my elimination match against a Wolf/Sheik. This guy was a laser spammer, and he finished fifth.

BTW, I was using Marth and ZSS.

Okay, I'm proposing a new question: does anyone use a custom control scheme, and what is it? Mine is nothing too drastic, just tap jumping turned off and C-stick set to Attack. This is because I tend to be more about building up damage until I can safely kill.

Hmm well now that I'm in college, and in a all guys dorm, playing smash is about as common as breathing, with the dorm as a whole putting 8 hours average a day on the game.

Anyways I have been maining Snake, Ike, Tlink, and Lucas.

and I believe Metaknight should go die in a fire.

Other than that my moveset is basically the same, just the c-stick set to attack, because it just helps snake and Ike so much.

I actually use the Wiimote, with nothing changed from the basic configuration except the D-pad changed to smash (I use my smashes a lot, and I like the single-button aerials) and 1 set to grab (Screw up-taunts, I can just use the down-taunt instead). I really don't like the basic configuration because sometimes when you try to smash it comes out as a tilt, and because it's easier to use your aerials the way I have it set up.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I wish my uni played Smash but it's mostly just 360 games and Magic:the Gathering. I commute anyway but yeah.

I'm not a really big competitive player yet... Can someone explain to me what a Gonzo combo is?
Since nobody answered this, it's FThrow -> UAir -> FThrow -> UAir -> FSmash. It's guaranteed on a fresh stock against most faster falling characters but some floaty characters can jump away from the regrab.

Could've just Googled it too. ;/

Dear jesus, we have a 50~ man tourney coming up this friday, and we just officially announced it via a dorm meeting, we already had 40 players but this announcement netted those last few that didn't know.

And one of those players just happens to be fucking disgusting at this game. I'm good, as far as my dorm goes i'm in the top 4, but this kid just blew me out of the water, made me look like I had just picked up the game. Plays mainly as falco, meta, and Tlink, he's ridiculous.

There goes any hopes of winning :(

With that said I will be mainly using snake for this tourney and would like to know if anyone can give me some unorthodox or effective strategies for snake, especially pertaining to the characters I listed as the above godly guy's mains.

We've got a sort of friendly neighborhood competition going on where I live.
I'm the best on my block, but I've had a few close matches.
Toon Link is rediculous against Lucario (I'm the only one in my area who uses him), mainly due to that stupid dair spam.
Even though I can avoid them, it's still a disadvantageous matchup.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Wi-Fi is better than most people give it credit, as long as you get a decent connection to most people.

Well the problem that me and my friends have found is that we find SSBB over wifi so laggy. You press the combo then it takes a full 3 seconds for it to execute. :s

Well the problem that me and my friends have found is that we find SSBB over wifi so laggy. You press the combo then it takes a full 3 seconds for it to execute. :s
It's because of the synchro problems of having players from different areas of the US play all at once.
If you have 4 players from the same area (say Philadelphia) the lag is less, but If you have players from different countries, the lag is more pronounced.

Any Bowser players in here? He's a blast to play. Lately, I've been trying to incorporate more grab-releases and jab-cancels into my game.

I'm assuming you meant "than in Melee" because Bowser is considerably better now.

And yes, he is fun to use.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi is better than most people give it credit, as long as you get a decent connection to most people.
I never find people to play on Wi-Fi on Brawl. Every time I go on Wi-Fi, I don't get a game. And my friends who have both Brawl and Wi-Fi I can easily play in real life without the lag that Wi-Fi has (or at least the lag I hear about).

As for bowser, he is fun to play, especially when you land a smash on your opponent. But I just find he's too slow and big, and he always becomes a punching bag.

Anybody know any good sites that would list any local tournaments (specifically looking for northern Virginia) or just regular get-togethers? I've been wanting to find other people to play with irl, but I don't know where to start looking... A quick search of "ssbb virginia" and "super smash bro virginia" on Google hasn't yielded any results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)