Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Though personally I never really cared about Sora or any of his games. It was still pretty satisfying to see him into the game. And I do give my congrats to people who have wanted him for ages. Sora´s pretty cool and I honestly think hes like, maybe high tier/high-mid. Though I really wish people stopped trying to kill with up-b on me, my armors gonna kick in and you will die at 20%, please stop trying to do that thanks!

While I play smash I really don´t care much about competitive tournament talk for I know nothing. Steve makes me wanna SD on last stock though. I do 1 thing wrong and its all hell for me. I don´t think the blocky boy is getting banned so rip I guess idk...

Violet

hilarity ensues
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi hopefully I don't burn down the thread again...
Sora's neat, never played KH but obviously mad deserved, Zackray won a Kagaribi with him but I haven't seen many results beyond that
Loops seem good, IDJ stuff seems good, the below stage stalling seems annoying, character's got some stuff despite his awkward mobility
Steve SHOULD NOT BE BANNED but he's so mind numbing to use, play against, or spectate to the point where I literally wouldn't mind if he was lol
I think it should be pretty obvious that he's not some game-breaking character and there aren't legitimate grounds to ban him (as of now at least... waiting on that Yonni tech), so I must imagine this kind of talk will be reserved for Twitter
With those answered, I'd like to ask what people think of the recent patch and the state of the game going forward!

Eli

any?
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
Aight since ppl talking about Kazuya, I'll say I do believe Tekken 100% deserves a rep, but there ain't no way I am playing this character lmao
I don't think he's gonna be that great, I think it's obvious he's gonna have broken advantage like the rest of the fgc nerds but man what is stopping me from circle camping his ass LOL
Someone else brought up swords and yeah after playing Cloud and Seph against him uhhhh lol how does he get in
Obviously my experience is not exemplary of top level, but it does not seem like his grounded approach is good enough to make up for his less than stellar aerial one, makes stuffing his ass pretty easy + been watching early top level gameplay and while it is early, it still doesn't reassure me
I've been seeing top players try to react to projectiles with the reflecting axe kick and boy it is not going well lmao
I generally don't think reflectors are very good in this game and despite the insane multiplier I don't think this one will fare any better, he's still going to struggle against anyone who stays mobile while throwing things out
I think the wavedash thing will certainly help (esp. after watching Riddles use it), but I don't think plats and air space in general are gonna be fun for this guy
Def don't think his ledgetrapping or edgeguarding are anything special, his disad looks outright no bueno, how he landing
Rage Drive is possibly the least scary comeback mechanic yet given that you can hit this not especially fast but heavy character ~3 times and he loses it, tho goddamn does that command grab have some wild armor on startup + 1.1 dmg multiplier on a character that already deals 80 from touching you once is nasty

tl,dr: don't let him touch you and it should be fine
guess he was right....

anyway.. sora is weird but i dont have opinions, he exists, steve is also pretty funny.

instead of characters why dont we discuss legal stages perhaps..
yoshis story and lylat are odd stages, i think lylat is fine to have legal, neat platform layout and you have to think more off at ledge than normal which is cool, yoshis story is a little dumb though, get it out, terrible blastzones + one of many triplats of that variety is unnecessary i think.
i think a good stagelist has bf, sbf, ps2, lylat, tnc, fd, smashville, hollow bastion perhaps, not in any particular order though

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
instead of characters why dont we discuss legal stages perhaps..
yoshis story and lylat are odd stages, i think lylat is fine to have legal, neat platform layout and you have to think more off at ledge than normal which is cool, yoshis story is a little dumb though, get it out, terrible blastzones + one of many triplats of that variety is unnecessary i think.
i think a good stagelist has bf, sbf, ps2, lylat, tnc, fd, smashville, hollow bastion perhaps, not in any particular order though
what’s your opinion on northern cave?

Eli

any?
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
what’s your opinion on northern cave?
it's a fine stage that I forgot existed when I listed stages. I like that it provides a kalos alternative without the high platforms and wall for an edge. A decently large stage with that sort of platform layout is a neat combination that I think should stick around, and I think it does it better than kalos

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
So there is a Smash Bros. thread here after all. I’m kind of surprised it took me this long to find it. Mind if I join in the fun here? With Ultimate’s updates and development cycle completed, I have more of an interest to get settled into a game that isn’t constantly changing. Balance changes and updates are always good, don’t get me wrong. Relative to older Smash titles, though, I feel like Ultimate was developing a little too quickly. It would be like competitive Pokémon if a new generation happens every one to two years as opposed to three or four years.

With all of this in mind, however, I have a list of questions that I hope can help me adapt to the game’s public fanbase more. I’ll just leave this list here since I’m not the kind of person who particularly enjoys having to ask for help... but thanks in advance regardless.

1. My play style is... interesting, to say the least. I don’t play Smash (especially in competitive rulesets) with things like combos and kill confirms in mind. Putting it bluntly, I’m one of, like, three people I know in person who liked the “unique” nature of Brawl, my first introduction into Smash Bros. I find that my habits when playing tend to reflect more defensive and neutral-based strategies as a result of this, although that isn’t to say I’m entirely a defensive campy player. I do know some combos and advanced mechanics. So what does this have to do with anything? Good question. I’m in search of a character or two to officially devote my time to calling a main.

2. Aside from looking for a main, I’m also wondering what the best ways for a busy college kid like myself (I do have some free time) can practice more and more without getting in the way of my classes and the like. I’ve been interested in getting back into online Smash for a while, but lack many ways of doing so consistently.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Try out Peach. I'd say she's a slower paced defensive character.
The funny part is, I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not. Chances are you’re being completely serious, it’s just that when people think of Peach, they usually think of fast-paced float combos and aerial pressure. I’ve definitely considered it, though.

also the idea of daisy being a top tier in a game that isn’t mario kart wii is pretty hilarious

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
First character that comes to mind when we talk about defensive characters would probably be snake for me.

Main gameplan revolves around using grenades, and letting your opponent come to you first, as well as setting up traps with down b.

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
The funny part is, I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not. Chances are you’re being completely serious, it’s just that when people think of Peach, they usually think of fast-paced float combos and aerial pressure. I’ve definitely considered it, though.

also the idea of daisy being a top tier in a game that isn’t mario kart wii is pretty hilarious
I'm being serious. I think playstyle can impact any character. Look at S2J, Wizzy and n0ne. They all play Falcon but it's pretty easy to see different style in play. But with floaty characters in general there is kind of a standard of slower paced play

Disclaimer: I'm extremely casual and barely play Ultimate.

When thinking of defensive characters, I usually tend towards ones with some form of charge move. In addition to having other options to get space, having a charge move gives you something to do when you manage to obtain said space. As someone else who prefers to focus on area control (and thinks the base physics speed of Brawl is better than the one in Melee), I've had some enjoyment out of running Pacman, Robin, Samus, and Cloud for that aspect back in Smash 4.

Though I guess if you're looking for the overlap of my "charge move" criterion, the previously mentioned "floaty" one, and the fact that you're asking a pokemon forum, Mewtwo might be worth looking into further.

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Mewtwo main here! I don't think Mewtwo would be a good choice. Character really needs big combos or strings in advantage to keep up, and if you don't get those, you're slowly gonna fall behind every game. Mewtwo doesn't have many great options after being hit and your opponent will capitalize on that, so you have to get big strings to match that. If the character's movement clicks with you and you're okay with learning his combo tree then I'd go for it, but otherwise...maybe someone like Min Min? That's the only character I can immediately think of that has such a huge focus on neutral and so little with combos.

Also if you want to practice, a lot of colleges have Smash clubs that host tournaments and/or club meets for practice. The one I go to has both and everyone is very welcoming and supportive of even casual players joining in. That's definitely worth looking into. If you don't have one at your college specifically, then depending on where you are, there may still be tournaments in your area. I'd look up like "smash bros facebook (your state / country)" or check Smashcords to see if you can find anything nearby.

Mewtwo main here! I don't think Mewtwo would be a good choice. Character really needs big combos or strings in advantage to keep up, and if you don't get those, you're slowly gonna fall behind every game. Mewtwo doesn't have many great options after being hit and your opponent will capitalize on that, so you have to get big strings to match that.
Why does this remind me so much of Falco....

1. My play style is... interesting, to say the least. I don’t play Smash (especially in competitive rulesets) with things like combos and kill confirms in mind. Putting it bluntly, I’m one of, like, three people I know in person who liked the “unique” nature of Brawl, my first introduction into Smash Bros. I find that my habits when playing tend to reflect more defensive and neutral-based strategies as a result of this, although that isn’t to say I’m entirely a defensive campy player. I do know some combos and advanced mechanics. So what does this have to do with anything? Good question. I’m in search of a character or two to officially devote my time to calling a main.
Byleth seems like an OK option. Their neutral is admittingly not the best, but they do have solid spacing & baiting tools in Fair & Bair, and a decent Nair that lets them cross-up and combo heavies easily. They are pretty good in advantage too because of their high range and active hitboxes. They have some strong combos, but you don't necessarily need to rely on those since their hitboxes are good as is to cover opponents options (i.e. Side B is good at catching rolls and jumps. What's nice about them is that their neutral tools (like F-Tilt and Tipper Dash Attack) have good killing power, and make it easier for them to close out a stock compared to some other characters. Their recovery is also deceptively good, letting them go for edguards more frequently and safely compared to other characters.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
what do you cutiepies think of my smash roster? i originally tried to make one that uses no 3rd party characters (aside from sonic and pac-man) but I really wanted Crono and Frog so I said "fuck it its my imagination"

I kinda hope the next smash game takes a step back with the roster and makes some of the old characters feel new again- feel like some of them could use some updates (like samus and yoshi). thats just my opinion from a mostly-casual perspective, though. i think i'd like to see most newcomers pulled from the deep depths of Nintendo, instead of wild 3rd-parties, hence Cackletta and Daroach and Louie.

1641700164036.png

Alright, it's time to put off doing chores, homework, or practicing Smash, and instead write a deep, personal, and passionate post that is probably going to be stupidly long.

So, I'm 16 years old, and I started with Smash after I played Brawl at a friend's house and a year or two later I got it myself. This was during 3rd or 4th grade, I probably bought the game around 5th grade? God that's crazy I've been playing it so long. During 7th/8th grade, I didn't have a Wii U (oh did I want one though), but my closest two friends at school would constantly talk about competitive Smash. I was at a small private school in middle school - like ~10 people in my grade - so even if I wanted to not be interested in Smash, I didn't exactly have a choice.
That being said, while I soaked up some knowledge, and gained a little bit of interest, it didn't really go anywhere.

I never got a Wii U, and by the time I saved up for a Switch in 8th grade, the year was practically over. My friend group split up and went to different schools, so that was the end of that. In 9th grade, my freshman year of high school, I have vague memories of trying out for the Smash team for my high school, as my local high school actually has an esports team. However, my Switch had gotten lost in a house fire over the summer, so I didn't even know who to main, and I didn't make the team. No biggy, I wasn't super into it, and I barely remember it.

10th grade went by without anything really happening in Smash. However, last summer, between 10th and 11th grade, I started getting into Brawl again, and trying to get all the achievements. In fact, while I haven't played much in the past few months, I'm still trying to do so and probably have ~75% of the achievements done - which isn't bad for the sheer mass of them. I even downloaded PM during this time, and while not really playing it competitively, I loved using it while I unlocked achievements. I don't remember how (despite this only being like half a year ago, lol - Covid really did make everything a blur) but this somehow related to me trying to play Smash Ultimate competitively, as my parents had bought me a Switch for Christmas the previous year because my old one (that I saved up a year for, ever since it was called the NX) got lost in the house fire. My Mom and Dad are real ones btw :)

So, the last week or two of summer, I start trying to practice for tryouts for my school's esports team. At the time, I was maining Cloud, since I had just played the FFVII Remake and really liked it, so I tried him out for the first time and really liked him. However, not only did I not have tons of time to practice - especially considering the fact that tryouts were pretty soon after school started, but I also had a bit of an anger issue. Now, it wasn't horrible, as I've never been a big rager, but after playing and losing a few matches online, I would quit, which wouldn't allow me to get a lot of practice in.

Tryouts finally came and I made our JV team (Smash is the only game at our school big enough to have JV). Granted, I wasn't much of an accomplishment, as basically anyone could get into JV, considering there was a player in our fifth slot (there are five players on JV and five on Varsity) that was basically completely new to the game. So, I was still bad, but I had at least gotten onto the team, which I would soon find out would be crucial.
By the way, I should make it clear by now that this has happened this school year - I am currently in 11th grade. Oh, and I hope that part wasn't too boring, but the more exciting part - my beginnings as a competitive Smash player - is about to begin.
Our school's Smash team was (and still is) lucky enough to have a coach. His name is Dom and he used to go to our school and play Smash for the team he is now coaching. He attends a local college now and is in his early twenties. Anyways, Dom is crucial in really beginning my journey into competitive Smash and I wouldn't be nearly as passionate about the game - or really involved in it or the community at all - if it weren't for him. I really owe a lot to him - thanks Dom!

Not only did Dom teach me a ton about the game and rub off some of his passion for the game on me, perhaps the most important thing he has done for me happened a couple months after school began. This is when Dom told the Smash team about a local weekly Smash tournament and offered to take some people with him, since, with the drive factored in, the tournament was just after one of our after-school practices. The first week, I wanted to go but my mom wouldn't let me, and Dom ended up taking another student. The next week, my mom talked to Dom and she was convinced to let me go. That week, there wasn't anybody else going - just Dom and I. As a side note, this was also the day that I switched to maining Sheik.

The drive there and back with Dom was great. We talked about characters, tech, and the game in general, as well as the mental aspect, like not getting angry at the game and having a good mindset. On later drives, I would get to know more about Dom, like his major, how he loves driving, a bit about his girlfriend (which I've since met at locals), etc. More importantly though, the local was amazing. I know I already said this about Dom, but the same goes for the local - I wouldn't be nearly as passionate about the game and the community if it wasn't for our local weekly. The tournament is pretty small, with anywhere from six to twelve people attending - usually around eight or nine, though.

Not only did I find that practicing against people who could utterly crush me was a genuinely helpful learning experience, I also found out how helpful everybody at our local scene is. The first person I really met was TJ, who happened to actually be on our team at the same time Dom was, which I didn't know when I first met him. Not only is he cracked at the game, he is also extremely friendly and fun to talk and play with, and is super funny. And on top of this, he was extremely kind and freely offered me tons of advice that would prove to be extremely useful. I kept on going back to the local every week I could, learning, having fun, and meeting new people - there wasn't much more to ask for. I soon found out that all of the top players there are like TJ - extremely friendly, fun, and willing to help a little 16 year old idiot.

Score wise, I've never done well, always going 2-0 unless I went 2-1 because of one of our TOs I could sometimes beat because he mainly plays SF. Still, I didn't care, because by this point, I had developed a mindset of improvement and fun over winning, which I still have, and getting crushed was surprisingly helpful and even fun. As for esports, I had won some games, and lost some games, but again, it didn't really matter. Speaking of esports, we have two seasons each year - a fall season and a spring season. Our fall season ended a couple of months ago, and while our varsity team went on to state, the JV team I'm on did not. I was going to go to State with the varsity team just to have fun and watch, especially since I've made a couple of good friends on the varsity team (Smash really has the best people), but sadly I was unable to go due to venue restrictions. This, however, leads me into where I am now.

Two or three months ago, when the fall season was ending, I surprisingly switched to maining Sephiorth, who is my current main and the one I have kept the longest - it's supising even to me, but I really like his playstyle (not to mention his character both in FFVII and just as a badass). Around the beginning of December, I started to play with and talk to Andrew T, the best player at our locals and top ten in our state. He gave me some really good advice and was super supportive, and even offered to coach me for stupidly cheap. I actually had my first coaching session this Friday (two days ago), and it went really well - super cool dude, and I learned a ton. He even said I only had to pay for the first hour but I paid for both because my boy gotta go to college. And excitingly, my esports coach Dom said I have a guaranteed spot at the bottom of varsity for the coming Spring season because, in his words, I have a good mentality and will clearly keep on improving :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)