Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Smash 5 SPOILERS btw)

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this game is too big so it should get its own thread
announced 3 months ago in the march direct, all we got was that inklings were set to appear as newcomers and silhouettes of a couple veterans. obviously they would blow the absolute shit out of this game at e3 and they surely did. half of the entire presentation was just smash 5, now titled super smash bros. ultimate and for good reason. they decide to bring back and show off literally every single fighter that's been playable in a smash game for this switch game. this includes the classics, the newcomers from smash 4, including ryu, cloud, and bayonetta, and the fallen characters, such as ice climbers, wolf, pokemon trainer, snake, and even fucking pichu and young link got back in. the fact that we got every single character to ever appear in smash all in one game, along with a couple newcomers like the inklings, is absolutely insane. dark pit and lucina also make a return, but as alternate skins known as "echo fighters", and a new alternate skin was shown off being daisy, we don't know if their hitboxes, damage output, and knockback of their attacks is different yet. at the end of the presentation, sakurai decides to show us one more detail, which is obviously a character; that character is ridley. ridley appearing in smash is something that sakurai has considered for a long time, but he deemed ridley "too big" and didn't know how he could fit in, but now sakurai has found a way for ridley to work, or has just gave in to fan demand; either way, he looks fun to play. as a side note: the smash invitational is also coming up so its also likely we get a new character from it.

now obviously with a new smash game comes new mechanics, visual changes, and other things. the first change is that percents show another significant digit next to them; they display decimals now, up to a tenth. characters that have some sort of meter or counter in their moves, such as robin's tome and levin sword durability, cloud's limit, and villager's pocket, have been made easier to see with those things appearing next to their percentage. next thing is that perfect shields are performed differently, rather than pressing shield at the frame of an attack, you actually have to release your shield instead, making perfect shielding similar to that of a parry i guess. directional air dodges are also back from melee, however we don't know if wavedashing makes a return or not yet. also dodging or rolling too much makes it so that your become more vulnerable by reducing intangibility frames. also attacks in matches with more than 2 players deal less damage than in 1v1s, i suppose its to make the matches better paced. if you play with items you'll have noticed that transformation final smashes and literally anything where you get to control an object fully (like landmaster) don't exist, and are replaced with a rapid attack. there's obviously new pokemon like bewear, new items like a fake smash ball, and new assist trophies including bomberman (nintendo why you gotta shaft my nigga bomberman as well as my nigga waluigi for the third time wtf bro).

the game is going to release december 7th 2018, and truly is the ultimate smash game (unless it doesnt play like melee lol).

Last edited:
Been a good 36 hours now and I still can't believe Ridley finally got in. Wanted him in since I was 9 and saw him in the intro to melee. Gave up hope the moment the showed him off in the 50 facts presentation.

Just one more member of the big three left. Totally content without him though after Ridley.

I actually really like clone characters so as long as echo fighters are less Pit / Dark Pit and more melee clone style significant character property differences I'm happy. Knuckles is in as an AT and there's no sign of Shadow yet so maybe he's in there?

I can't wait for this fucking game oh MY GOOOOD

I hope that the new Smash game brings us more characters from under represented series like Donkey Kong. Only 2 characters for a popular series really hurts, especially when there's potential with Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, and King K. Rool. It'd also be nice to get a new Kirby character, although the only one I can think of is Marx. Either way, I'm excited as more and more gets revealed about this game!

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I hope that the new Smash game brings us more characters from under represented series like Donkey Kong. Only 2 characters for a popular series really hurts, especially when there's potential with Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, and King K. Rool. It'd also be nice to get a new Kirby character, although the only one I can think of is Marx. Either way, I'm excited as more and more gets revealed about this game!
I don't know how much we can hope for in new characters. But, I think dixie could be a possible echo fighter?

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hol up u sayin that kirby's only possible rep is marx when bandana dee has appeared in almost every kirby game since superstar ultra? that mans got such an easy to import moveset for simply being a kirby character and has basically become player 4. also magolor exists if for w/e reason bandana dee is just a random ass waddle dee to sakurai. sry if it sounded kinda rash but bandana dee is at the forefront of requested characters with k rool and isaac tbh so its kinda off to not acknowledge him.

anyways i lowkey want funky kong over k rool in smash just so the boxart could say new funky mode. speaking of echo fighters, i could see the following.

ε donkey kong - funky kong (rather him be his original character tho)
ε samus - dark samus
ε captain falcon - blood falcon (or some other f-zero char)
ε roy - eliwood, leif (some fe character)
ε ike - chrom
ε lucas - claus (masked man maybe)
ε robin - celica
ε ryu - ken (or akuma, evil ryu, sakura, dan lul w/e ryu clones there are)

im still unsure about what echo fighters are like, as in how you get to choose them on css, cause pit and marth are playable in the demo but not their echo fighter apparently? are they a seperate slot or you pick them like an alt, cause they could very well not be in the demo's data. perhaps that means characters like samus and ryu who were playable in the demo could possibly have an echo fighter locked in the back?

hol up u sayin that kirby's only possible rep is marx when bandana dee has appeared in almost every kirby game since superstar ultra? that mans got such an easy to import moveset for simply being a kirby character and has basically become player 4. also magolor exists if for w/e reason bandana dee is just a random ass waddle dee to sakurai. sry if it sounded kinda rash but bandana dee is at the forefront of requested characters with k rool and isaac tbh so its kinda off to not acknowledge him.
That was my bad, I kinda forget he's a character since he's just a Waddle Dee with a bandanna. I'd still say he could be good in smash, but I wouldn't be surprised if he only got in as an assist trophy.

I also forgot about Daroach from Squeak Squad - that'd be fun to experiment with a moveset for.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

anyways i lowkey want funky kong over k rool in smash just so the boxart could say new funky mode. speaking of echo fighters, i could see the following.

ε samus - dark samus
ε ike - chrom
ε robin - celica

im still unsure about what echo fighters are like, as in how you get to choose them on css, cause pit and marth are playable in the demo but not their echo fighter apparently? are they a seperate slot or you pick them like an alt, cause they could very well not be in the demo's data. perhaps that means characters like samus and ryu who were playable in the demo could possibly have an echo fighter locked in the back?
Samus's dark samus costume has changed...one can only hope!

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Sakurai himself said not to expect many new fighters as they brought back every single past character, but I'll be very happy to see Shantae as a newcomer. She looks perfectly suitable for smash imo; her hair whips could be her frame 1 jab, transformation magic as her specials, etc. If she ends up making it in someday I can't wait to see how she plays.

An another note, FUCKING PICHU IS BACK BITCHESSS!! Looking at this snippet, there's a lot that I'm excited for. One, HE'S STILL A FUCKING QT PATOOTIE (i'd be highly disappointed if they somehow butchered his design). Two, ftilt stuns/trips characters and looks like it has more range than his melee ftilt (tho since it deals electric damage now, he'll be doing damage to himself as well but so far it seems like a fair tradeoff). Three, up smash still looks like it comes out pretty fast (came out frame 9 in melee) and deals solid knockback and thunder now being a meteor smash which is sick af. Up smash to thunder may or may not be a true combo, but I'm still excited for that change. Now I'm just hoping they bring back Pichu's red alt with the red bandana tied on his ear <3. I'm also very excited to see Young Link return as i'm a melee player. From the footage so far he looks solid, so I'm anticipating an amazing game :)

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

ε samus - dark samus
ε ike - chrom
ε robin - celica

This is missing the greatest echo fighter of all time: ε Yoshi - Birdo.

this game's way too good. the hype is palpable. first of all, the renders are SO GOOD. didn't think they were able to top smash 4's by this much. a few of my favorites include cute pichu, pretty boy marth, ganondorf with his AMAZING redesign, PoR ike, which i vastly prefer to his alternate radiant dawn design, diddy kong tipping his cap, sonic, toon link, lucario and cloud. there's also the stock icons which look equally as great. so much good art in this game!

secondly this game made so many good changes for competitive. being able to TURN OFF STAGE HAZARDS means so much. that is by far the best addition and actually one of only two things I wanted from this game, the other being takamaru as a fighter but he's been since confirmed as an assist trophy :(. now you can play on wily's castle without the stupid yellow devil spawning every 30 seconds. there's gonna be so many unique legal stages, it'll be great. i also like the focus on veterans as opposed to newcomers this time. ganon for instance, on top of receiving a great new design, seems to have been blessed with buffs in this new game. his aerial landing lag has been greatly reduced, far quicker jump squat, better movement options, better smashes, better offensive options. i can't wait to try him out. other miscellaneous things that I love are the removal of pokemon trainer's stamina mechanic, zelda's redesign, perfect shields, magicant and yoshi's story returning and having tons more options out of dash, essentially removing the need / desire for wavedashing. theres probably a million things im forgetting but there ya go.

oh yea and fuck waluigi btw

I am so excited for this game, December can't come quickly enough. This is the first time ever in the series that I won't have to find a new main, Roy was my main in Melee, Lucas was my main in Brawl (yeah I know he was bought back later as DLC, but that wasn't for over a year). The gameplay overall seems faster and more offensive than it was in Smash 4, which is certainly a good thing: I was getting sick of the dodge spam. This game is Highest Hopes: The Best of Super Smash Bros. (Hats off to you if you got that reference without having to google it).

will charizard squirtle and ivysaur have a single character option
Charizard will as it's a separate character in its own right, however as Pokémon Trainer is a 3 in 1 character I think they'll still be linked. However, you should be able to choose which Pokémon you start off with (you could in Brawl after all) and the stamina mechanic has been removed, so you could just pick which Pokémon you like and never change.

I'm hoping Jiggles is fixed, as she's been my character I mained in 64, co-mained in Melee, initial mained in Brawl and first char I tested in Sm4sh. And my other mains who were washed out (Young Link and Wolf) are back. So I'm testing these chars, Ryu (Sm4sh main) and Daisy pronto.
I'm expecting there's probably 7-8 newcomers total, so we're down to maybe 5 left to show?

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
will charizard squirtle and ivysaur have a single character option
Charizard will as it's a separate character in its own right, however as Pokémon Trainer is a 3 in 1 character I think they'll still be linked. However, you should be able to choose which Pokémon you start off with (you could in Brawl after all) and the stamina mechanic has been removed, so you could just pick which Pokémon you like and never change.
Issue is that if it goes back to Down-B being the way to change Pokemon, like it was in Brawl, then Charizard loses Rock Smash. And, in my opinion as a Charizard main, that was a basically essential move for Charizard to be even remotely viable. I am told there are single character options, but I haven't been able to find any verifiable source that says so.

I didn't expect Ridley being in Smash, but thinking about how Nintendo is doing things now and listening to fans, it wasn't too surprising. More suprising is that Sakurai still intends to work on another Smash Bros. He looked terrible in the direct, like he didn't eat up lately. Normally when I see Sakurai, he keeps looking younger than the last time I saw him.

Regardless, for me Smash on the Switch is huge. I have been considering on getting it over time. The past few years I couldn't play on my home consoles since I am on the go most the time. I barely touched my Smash 4 for the Wii U at all because of that.
Perhaps this time I can finally enjoy a Smash game in over a decade. It would also be nice to get back into competitive Smash.

Btw, did they turn all Final Smashs into Super Moves instead of some being temporary power-ups? I mean you do turn Super Sonic with Sonic, but the game takes away the control from the player and Sonic is flying around the entire screen dealing damage to others. Not that I mind that.

I didn't expect Ridley being in Smash, but thinking about how Nintendo is doing things now and listening to fans, it wasn't too surprising. More suprising is that Sakurai still intends to work on another Smash Bros. He looked terrible in the direct, like he didn't eat up lately. Normally when I see Sakurai, he keeps looking younger than the last time I saw him.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the result of trying to get things ready for E3. It can be a stressful time to make sure you have everything exactly the way you want to present it, and you really have to put on a show to get people interested. I hope it's nothing more than that; it'd be terrible for something worse than that to happen to him D:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Each day I somehow get even more hyped for this game, all the matches out on YouTube are just amazing, this game looks gorgeous, all the features are amazing, like wow, I NEED THIS GAME!

All I'm hoping for now is Rayman getting in, that would be a dream come true.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm looking forward to the Music too. The remix of Bowser's Theme shown off in his short character reel sounds epic.

I'm looking forward to the Music too. The remix of Bowser's Theme shown off in his short character reel sounds epic.
Y'know, even though Brawl gets so much hate, I always loved the remixes they did. Bramble Blast sounds completely different from the original song in DKC2, and it sounds amazing. I seriously hope that the music can be just as good as Sm4sh didn't have too many new remixes that I liked, although, after hearing the remix of Calamari Inkantation, I think it'll be good :D

very excited for this game, visually it looks fantastic and with the new game mechanics I cant wait to feel how it plays.

im expecting two of crash bandicoot / rayman / simon belmont, along with another FE character and HOPEFULLY k rool or captain toad. my dream character getting in would be isaac from golden sun since i love those games and i think he has a really interesting moveset to adapt to smash, but he seems a little too unknown and out of nowhere for nintendo to put him into smash. hopefully theres some cool echo fighters as well!

Really hoping for some sort of subspace esque single player. having a system that'll let characters be much more agile would make it even more enjoyable than it already was

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really hoping for some sort of subspace esque single player. having a system that'll let characters be much more agile would make it even more enjoyable than it already was
Subspace was probably the best part of Brawl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)