SM OU Surprise Screens Koko HO (peaked elo 2001, #9 on the ladder )

Introduction

Yo whatsup Smogon, Daxdleader here with my first RMT! Quick disclaimer, I wanna give a huge shoutout to my man AsterJ (you might know him as the coach of the Montreal Habsols in the GBA and other draft leagues) for playing with this team and achieving such an impressive peak. Again, peak was Aster, not me. In fact he's the one who suggested I make this thread, so without further ado, let's meet the team.
1519266565267.png

I've been a fan of gimmicky HO since my debut in gen 6. Webs, spikes, screens, you name it, I'll use it. Sun and Moon saw the rise of these playstyles like never before with influential players such as aim and mostly njnp spamming Sticky Web and Aurora Veil teams on the ladder because they were good, but also because they were so damn fun. The goal with this team was to take advantage of the popularity of the first 5 mons. I asked my friends "at team preview, what sets are you expecting from this team?" Most said offensive Koko, specs Ash Gren, AV Magearna, banded Zygarde, and defensive lando. Those 5 mons make a solid volt-turn team on their own, but that's what I want you to think! This team actually contains dual screens Koko, hazards Gren, and setup everything else. Surprise!

The Team and Building process

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn

As the fastest non mega or battle-bonded pokemon in the tier, Tapu Koko makes a great lead on hyper offensive teams. Tapu Koko will almost always be able to set up a Light Screen or a Reflect on turn 1, and if not, it can taunt, preventing slower leads from setting hazards, or u-turning out of a bad matchup. Once screens are set, all you have to do is u-turn out into the following pokemon, or if the matchup allows it, win the game on the spot with one of your 3 setup sweepers!

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Ice Beam

Greninja is the best combined hazard setter on hyper offensive teams this generation due to its speed and ability to threaten common hazard removers. Spikes and Toxic Spikes should be set as early as possible to wear down the opposing team and punish switches to make sweeping that much easier for the other members. Taunt stops Defog as well as opposing setup, and Ice Beam is a good attack with no immunities that deals heavy damage to defoggers such as Latios, Landorus, Gliscor and Kartana.

Zygarde @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 160 HP / 176Atk / 28 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Coil

Zygarde is arguably the most threatening setup sweeper in the tier with screens support, equipped with an excellent spamable move in thousand arrows, good offensive and defensive stats, and the ability to boost both its defense and its speed alongside its attack. Coil and dragon dance make Zygarde incredibly difficult to revenge kill. Lastly, Extreme Speed ensures that Zygarde is not picked off by strong priority attacks such as Ash-Gren's Water Shuriken or Weavile's Ice-Shard. The EVs allow Zygarde to outspeed scarf Kartana at +2 as well as avoid being 2hkoed by hp ice from defensive Lando or Tangrowth.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind

Not only is Magearna a great setup sweeper in it's own right due to having great bulk, SpAtk, and a way to boost its defenses as well as its speed, it also has near perfect defensive synergy with Zygarde. The only attacks capable of damaging one super effectively without being resisted by the other are ground type attacks. Magearna racks up boosts incredibly quickly thanks to Soul Heart and is also hard to revenge kill because Shift Gear raises its speed two stages and calm mind boosts its already high SpDef. Bolt-Beam is the coverage of choice being basically unresisted across the tier. Any pokemon capable of standing up to Magerna falls to Zygarde anyway.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Fly
- Stealth Rock

Landorus provides a much needed Stealth Rocker to the team, in addition to being an offensive threat that lures in bulky grass types that resist Zygarde's Thousand Arrows such as Mega Venusaur and Tangrowth, and KOes them with a Supersonic Skystrike. It's likely that you've revealed screens Koko already by the time Lando hits the field so many opponents will scout the set by switching, giving you the opportunity to set up Stealth Rocks to support the sweep of your teammates. Smack Down is used over Gravity to chip down Skarmory and Zapdos rather than just forcing them out.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Gyarados is another great bulky setup mon that takes advantage of the screens provided so graciously to us by Tapu Koko. Gyarados greatly appreciates Zygarde and Lando's ability to pressure bulky Grass types, as Gyarados sets up on threatening ice and water type attacks. It is also worth noting that before mega evolution, Gyarados and Landorus form an intimidate core, making setup even easier. They are also both immune to ground, covering Magearna's other weakness not already dealt with by Zygarde.

Threat list

While laddering, Aster found the following mons to be the most threatening:​

-Defog Landorus can intimidate this team's physical attackers, forces out Magearna, and can remove screens and hazards.

-As this is a hyper offensive team, it is susceptible to rain teams which can get their sweepers in much more quickly than this team can.

-Gyarados must be preserved to deal with stall teams featuring unaware pokemon. Sableye can bounce back Greninja's hazards, Skarmory can phaze setup sweepers with whirlwind or even kill off offensive threats with sturdy+counter.

-Scarf Tapu Lele outspeeds and heavily damages the entire team, blocking Zygarde's priority and even stopping Koko from getting up screens if lead off with. Magearna can take a hit but the bolt beam set can't do much back.

-Mega Lopunny outspeeds the entire team and its coverage is unresisted, making it difficult to deal with. Similarly to Lele, it can prevent screens if lead off with, and can even prevent Greninja from setting up hazards if running Fake Out.

Replays
Aster is the GOAT
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-707598842
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-706838237
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-706795279

Importable
This team has proven success and is incredibly fun to use at any point on the ladder, so I encourage you all to use it!
https://pokepast.es/5f925a7d26b28933

Last edited:

HCJB

Banned deucer.
I really like the team, and really a main incentive of this post is to bump it (because it's so good).

That said, I'd suggest:

Alolan-Ninetails or Ash-Greninja over Support Greninja and U-turn over Smack Down on Lando. I've seen close copies of this team already on the ladder (which is just proof that the team is solid), but a good HO team shouldn't be so dependent on hazards to make it work - which I don't think this team is, so the hazards focus is perhaps overplaying an aspect that could be better served by better offence or more screens support.

To kind of add to this, I've beaten the variations of this team by taking out the screen support early (not through cheap over-compensating plays, that's just how my team works). With Alolan-Ninetales and U-turn on Lando, you have three possible leads and more routes into your bulky win-cons. With the variations, I've beaten this team by taking out the screen support early (I can PM you the details, I'm looking to high ladder my current team and I don't want to spoil it yet) - so that's really where the secondary support comes into play.

As I said though, this isn't really to take away from the team - and possibly my view is skewed by being a HO player. I just think that balance usually has some decent Defog support, so adding something else offensive or doubling down on the screens support might be slightly better. Up to you, and 'grats on the peak!

Hey, that's a really solid team you got there! Screens HO is something I've experienced before and this team just shows how scary this type of teams can be. I won't do major changes to your team because it's already pretty solid but I have some potential set changes that could improve your matchup against some problematic archetypes. Here are my suggestions:

- On Gren, one thing you could consider is running HP Fire over Toxic Spikes mainly because Hyper Offense build like this one tend to be really weak to SD Scizor and this one also has a hard time at breaking Ferro. HP Fire is a lure move that could help you avoid that and I don't think the loss of Toxic Spikes will matter that much most of the time.

&
- On these two some alternative sets could be ran but it will mainly depend on what the other's set will be (which is why I'm putting them on a same paragraph). On Lando-T you could potentially run another item like Earth Plate instead of Flyinium Z in order to allow Magearna to have the Z-Move. If you do this, then you could do Swords Dance over Fly to break walls better. On Magearna, you could run a set with Fleur Cannon / Focus Blast / Shift Gear / Calm Mind with either Fairium Z or Fightinium Z which does better damages to things like M-Swampert, M-Scizor, Heatran and Ferrothorn. Alternatively, you could also go for HP Fire over Calm Mind in order to lure M-Scizor and Ferrothorn better, so you can have TSpikes on Gren.

- Lastly, one more thing you could consider is Substitute over Earthquake on Mega Gyarados. This is especially useful when facing things like Toxapex and other passive mons which can't break its sub and is even more useful behind Screens. It will slightly improve your Rain matchup as you'll be able to set-up and sweep a lot more easily.

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt
- Ice Beam

Magearna @ Fairium Z / Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind / Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Substitute

So yeah that's really it. Once again, really solid team and grats on the peak! Hope you like my changes! n_n

Hey, I like the standard and consistent nature of the sets but this team is still a very unique one. One thing I would like to suggest is change the landorus to the explosion set to prevent slower defogs (as you mentioned, opposing landorus or zapdos etc etc) maybe with a sash. Then I would recommend using a Z greninja, either z psychic to weaken toxapex for mag and gyarados or z water to just punch holes. T-spikes imo is unnecessary because of the pace of this team, so 3 attacks spikes is ok for that set. One last thing is change the mag to a bulkier spread, perhaps modest and hitting around 220+ speed with about 80 special attack evs and the rest in hp. This allows you to handle tapu lele a bit better, not to mention at least take a hit from lopunny. Grats on the peak!

I really like the team, and really a main incentive of this post is to bump it (because it's so good).

That said, I'd suggest:

Alolan-Ninetails or Ash-Greninja over Support Greninja and U-turn over Smack Down on Lando. I've seen close copies of this team already on the ladder (which is just proof that the team is solid), but a good HO team shouldn't be so dependent on hazards to make it work - which I don't think this team is, so the hazards focus is perhaps overplaying an aspect that could be better served by better offence or more screens support.

To kind of add to this, I've beaten the variations of this team by taking out the screen support early (not through cheap over-compensating plays, that's just how my team works). With Alolan-Ninetales and U-turn on Lando, you have three possible leads and more routes into your bulky win-cons. With the variations, I've beaten this team by taking out the screen support early (I can PM you the details, I'm looking to high ladder my current team and I don't want to spoil it yet) - so that's really where the secondary support comes into play.

As I said though, this isn't really to take away from the team - and possibly my view is skewed by being a HO player. I just think that balance usually has some decent Defog support, so adding something else offensive or doubling down on the screens support might be slightly better. Up to you, and 'grats on the peak!

I agree with your suggestions but alolan ninetales would totally take away the surprise factor of this team, and I personally think Ash-Gren is redundant with Mega Gyarados. Thx anyway :)

HCJB

Banned deucer.
I agree with your suggestions but alolan ninetales would totally take away the surprise factor of this team, and I personally think Ash-Gren is redundant with Mega Gyarados. Thx anyway :)
Cool, and good points! People always look at teams with their individual lens on the meta, there's always a lot of subjectivity. Again congratulations and well done on making an incisive team.

Hey, that's a really solid team you got there! Screens HO is something I've experienced before and this team just shows how scary this type of teams can be. I won't do major changes to your team because it's already pretty solid but I have some potential set changes that could improve your matchup against some problematic archetypes. Here are my suggestions:

- On Gren, one thing you could consider is running HP Fire over Toxic Spikes mainly because Hyper Offense build like this one tend to be really weak to SD Scizor and this one also has a hard time at breaking Ferro. HP Fire is a lure move that could help you avoid that and I don't think the loss of Toxic Spikes will matter that much most of the time.

&
- On these two some alternative sets could be ran but it will mainly depend on what the other's set will be (which is why I'm putting them on a same paragraph). On Lando-T you could potentially run another item like Earth Plate instead of Flyinium Z in order to allow Magearna to have the Z-Move. If you do this, then you could do Swords Dance over Fly to break walls better. On Magearna, you could run a set with Fleur Cannon / Focus Blast / Shift Gear / Calm Mind with either Fairium Z or Fightinium Z which does better damages to things like M-Swampert, M-Scizor, Heatran and Ferrothorn. Alternatively, you could also go for HP Fire over Calm Mind in order to lure M-Scizor and Ferrothorn better, so you can have TSpikes on Gren.

- Lastly, one more thing you could consider is Substitute over Earthquake on Mega Gyarados. This is especially useful when facing things like Toxapex and other passive mons which can't break its sub and is even more useful behind Screens. It will slightly improve your Rain matchup as you'll be able to set-up and sweep a lot more easily.

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt
- Ice Beam

Magearna @ Fairium Z / Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind / Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Substitute

So yeah that's really it. Once again, really solid team and grats on the peak! Hope you like my changes! n_n
I like those suggestions! I don't know if I'll implement them but they all make sense while preserving the original idea of the team and dealing better with some of those mons on the threat list. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)