Survivor Survivor Season 6: Fans vs Favorites vs Fumblers (And the winner is...ajhockeystar!)

yes it sucks that someone has a better chance of winning because they have pregame connections and whatnot, but there's a reason why favorites were favorites this game. consider the fact that you pissed off a chunk of the jury and this will always be a serious strategic question for you.
I just feel like we should be judging the two of us based on our performances in this game. In my opinion, the people on the jury who could be upset with me are Inferno, Cleo, and MK. Where this all started though... was that Inferno and Cleo blindsided me and you. There wasn't really any way for us to try and make the situation better at that point. Trust had been breached, and we had to deal with the cards we were dealt.

I did wrongly misjudge MK, and thats why that was my biggest regret in the game.

ah, unfortunate that whydon did what he did but he got stabbed by shub anyway so lol
Ya hahaha

ajhockeystar

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnus
ajhockeystar how was your thought process from f9 to f5? sorry for the attempted blindside at f9 but i thought it had to happen otherwise well, you are clearly the favorite coming to this ftc :p

did you think that was unnecessary? what are the gameplay aspect that you appreciate in laurel? who were some of the allies that you were working with that you had a fun time with and what were the cool stuff that you talked about?
About the blindside, no worries! It's all a game :P

F9: At this point I was working closely with OM. I knew of his idol and advantage, and he knew of my idol. Note that our goal at that point was to use idols in 2 of the next 3 tribal councils, while having all 3 of us (me, OM, Drookez) stay in. Making it to F6 with OM's advantage meant guaranteed majority for us because of his advantage.

Fun fact: OM's idol expired in F9, unless he completed some very difficult puzzle to extend its life to F7. (Then same for F5 later.) He didn't want to do the puzzle (it sounded like a real pain), so he planned to use it in F9.

Laurel told me to organize this vote since he wanted to split it, which seemed pretty sketchy to me in all honesty. (It was supposed to be a split between Cleo and OM, so that if OM played his idol then Cleo would go home.) I was just going to have the votes piled on Cleo, since of course I wanted to keep OM. Then, you tell me that you're voting out Drookez, and asking if I would be okay with it. I play along, knowing we have 2 idols to burn.

What really made me think that you guys were going for Drookez was my PM conversation with Shub. Here are the logs:

ajhockeystar02/05/2019
Hey

shubaka1702/05/2019
Hi!

ajhockeystar02/05/2019
Just wondering if you’ve heard anything else about this vote

Unfortunately the timestamps don't show anymore, but all 3 messages were within a minute or two of each other, meaning Shub was active at the time. The fact that he didn't respond to the second message made me think that he felt bad about voting Drookez, and didn't want to tell me. Me, OM, and Drookez pull Cleo over due to Drookez's close relationship with him, and I also talk to Whydon, trying to get him. You all stick to a Cleo vote, and Mari's messages to OM and I right before votes were being read allowed OM to switch his idol play to eliminate you.

F8: This vote was just a matter of sticking to the numbers with the group that I had voted with last time. OM wanted to vote Whydon due to their previous experiences, so that was that.

F7: I've talked about this vote earlier, it's the whole Mari pulling me in with the idol play. If you want me to copy/paste what I said earlier, then I can!

F6: Honestly this was just me sticking with OM and Drookez, OM still had his advantage.

F5: This was my best shot to get out OM. I had to get him at this point in case he won immunity next time, as much as it hurt ;-; (I saw your other question as I was typing this, so I'm just gonna answer it!) Did I think I couldn't beat his comeback story? Definitely not. I just thought he would have the best shot among the remaining players, and would be the biggest threat to me come FTC.

"did you think that was unnecessary?"
I'm gonna assume you meant the vote against you? I don't think in hindsight that it was unnecessary. I did it to protect Drookez, and it actually helped me develop a relationship with Cleo and to an extent Mari, who I had barely talked to earlier in the game.

"what are the gameplay aspect that you appreciate in laurel?"
Man, does he go hard on challenges. He absolutely killed the scavenger hunt. He went ahead and counted to 6000, staying up a long time into the night (despite some mistakes).

"who were some of the allies that you were working with that you had a fun time with and what were the cool stuff that you talked about?"
Drookez of course was my greatest ally. Talking to him is great, he knows how to turn any serious conversation about the game into a fun one. He values his friends a lot <3 And he is good at making self-aware sheep jokes, lol.

It was great talking to OM too. I always knew he was from Canada, but I didn't know he actually lived so close to me. We talked about his university applications. If all goes well, hopefully he comes to my university!

I also learned a bunch about Laurel this game. One cool tidbit is his brother lives near me (come visit so you can visit me y/y).

Shub is a very cool person. I learned a bit about his background, and apparently they learned Arabic for their company!

I remember having some conversations about you about DS games haha. I'm happy to find another Ghost Trick lover in this world!

I also had a couple conversations with Cleo about life. Not to mention the evil cat >:(

I really appreciate that you asked this question. It allowed me to look back on all the friends I made/relationships I improved, so thanks!

ajhockeystar

If we're going to compare #1 to #1. If I don't convince Whydon to give me his idol, I'm in place #12 or #13 not competing to win the game.

I had to constantly try and make plays to shift me up from the bottom or away from the top. I was labeled as a target early on and had to do everything in my power to stay alive.

Meanwhile, you're admitting now to blindsiding Mari, I don't see how that earns social relationship points.
I mean, with you gone I assume he'd be in a pretty bad position too. It was pretty important that he gave it to you too.

Yeah, it helped improve my relationship with her in the game at that point. That's about it though lol.

ajhockeystar

I can beat AJ because I made more plays than he did. If we're judging based on the performance of the game and who deserves to win more, its me. I had to win immunity 4x to even have a chance to be here (I would've won 5 immunities but chose not to submit my best GeoGuesser so Whydon looked like a bigger challenge threat). I constantly was in a bad situation after my two closest allies (you and Whydon) were eliminated. The rest of the castaways constantly tried to vote me out but I put fate in my own hands. I put every ounce of my effort into this game and have the story of a person who never quit despite my situation. While AJs story is someone who has friends..?

I didn't insist on voting Inferno instead of Shubaka at f10. I had asked to vote out Cleo but Whydon and AJ pushed to vote out Inferno.

I didn't want AJ to be the vote at F9 because up until that point he hadn't done much to merit him winning the game. As mentioned, his strategy until that point was asking me "whats the plan". I had built a relationship with him which I didn't have with some of the other players (Cleo, OM) which is why I didn't want him on the chopping block. As we discussed, I was also skeptical that AJ had an idol, chances are the vote would have been leaked, he would've saved himself, and it would have put us in an even worse position.
Quick note: I had immunity at F9.

I was voted as the person most likely to win the game by the people in the game. That puts a huge target on my back. Don't you think making it through all these votes without needing immunity is more impressive than having to get through by winning immunity challenges? I think it speaks to my control of the game and my social game that despite being labelled as such, I received only 2 votes the whole game, with one being a throwaway vote. It definitely was not a matter of me having "friends" - look how it turned out for me in S5.

ajhockeystar

ajhockeystar, you say you were in control for the entire game. Can you elaborate how you were in control during our time on the Fox tribe? From my point of view, it seemed like RODAN could have been voted out at any point during that tribal council, and the only reason he wasn't was because Laurel was proactive in pulling me over and I was no longer willing to work with MK at that point since he had tarnished our relationship. I don't see how that was you being in power more so than you being in a position of trying to survive due to being outnumbered by the Fumblers. Not trying to throw shade or anything, just genuinely curious to hear what things were like on the Fox tribe from your point of view.
From my POV, there were two sides. Laurel/blue/you, or Shub/ragmatho/MK. RODAN and I had the option of siding with either, and opted for the Laurel/blue/you side since half of our tribe was Fumbler. rag was the perfect vote since he was the only one I didn't have a relationship with from the other side at that point. The only reason why RODAN had a "chance" of going was because I tipped the vote off to Shub and MK. MK then scrambled to try and get votes against RODAN, to no avail. Meanwhile, Shub agreed to use a throwaway vote against me in case you did decide to flip and vote with MK - that way there wouldn't be a tie. I definitely did have control here, all my bases were covered.

I told y'all I would make a spicy final tribal, so here we go. I'm surprised you didn't go into detail about your infamous moments with some of the jury here. Those have not gone unnoticed. I'm very curious what happened between you and Drookez. Your tribal councils with MK were also a spectacle to view. You and inferno had a falling out too. Oh and I couldn't end this without mentioning your blow up in my DMs. For those who don't know, I do want to go into detail here.
When the Fans tribe got wind of Trace playing both sides and wanting to vote one of us out, what do you do here? Well I did the opposite of what Laurel did, and I defended myself and put myself in a better position. With the help of AJ (yet another play by him/me), we formed a voting block to remove Trace. Now keep in mind, me and laurel were good friends up until then. So it was only right that I explain to him in DMs what went down, and my apology. I fully didn't have to, but I did. He was a friend at the time. Well Laurel really showed his true colors here. Not only did he say my apology was me "pretending", but he went out of his way to just belittle me
"Inferno's bitch", "retard", and "snake" But if we're being honest here. This one (snake) isn't really new for you. If you look at the tribals with MK, you really needed a thesaurus.
Now I'm sure you're a perfectly reasonable person outside the game, but this is a clear lack of one of the key aspects of playing survivor. And really what it means to be the sole survivor. You were not playing the social game properly, and made enemies with some of the jury. You took the social game for granted, and treated those people without heart
I thought your final statement was good. It was clear you left some things out to keep face, and I can see that/respect to an extent. That end is a bit skewered though. "I kept a very open mind" -> "I couldn't give up the opportunity to vote Cleo out for his plays", and also this is nothing of what you said to me in DM. If you had just said, you were voting as a Survivor fan so you could "avenge your allies", that would've been TEA. I would've lived, and respected how bold you were to say that. Instead, you just spewed lies to me. Because your reasoning here is distinctly different.

Now my question for you is: Who would you have taken to the final three? Include yourself, so choose two others. Explain
Drookez: We worked together for a good portion of this game. I did try and message him to learn more about him, but he was pretty secretive outside of discussing that he liked board games. Something I should honestly get more into.

Yes, I blew up in your DMs. Was it stupid and immature? Definitely. Did I have the right to be mad? Absolutely, I considered you one of my closest allies and I watched you blindside me. I just want to point out that like, its not like it came out of nowhere. As I've said, I played this game with my heart. I regret doing what I did, but it happened because I got blindsided. I was super excited to work with you man.. and then just.. boom. Enemies.

Your apology to me, I'm sorry, at first it didn't seem authentic. I know now that it was meant to be but my response at the time was "i don't mind, as long as you're not trying to vote me"

I didn't have choice words with you until after the double idol vote when you voted for me, that was when I said what I said. Again, I regret it yes, but I was blindsided and as you mentioned we were really close until this point.

About the last vote, I did keep an open mind. I had removed my vote for 1.5 hours and was PMing, AJ about why I should keep him in the game. Ultimately, yes, part of the deciding factor for me was that I wanted to avenge my allies but there was a lot of thoughts in my head at the time. To say it came down to just one reason doesn't do it justice, and you deserve better than that. I am being honest with you, as InfernoDragon said, in survivor there are lies, but today isnt the day for that.

Who would I want in the final three? I'm taking my closest allies, Whydon and Blue. They were with me from the beginning and thats what I would have wanted in a perfect world.

oh, and another question since I'm probably going to sleep soon. It's for ajhockeystar again, since everyone is kinda drilling into Laurel and I just want to be fair :x

What percentage of your success in the game can be attributed to your social game, and what percentage of it can be attributed to being lucky enough to get someone on your side who had an idol and an extra vote? Do you think luck played a role in your game at all, and if so, how?

Cleo

point me to the nearest waffle house
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I mean painting AJ as someone who “didn’t” make plays is doing him a disservice. Just as much as it would say if someone said Laurel didn’t make plays. AJ was at the head of many votes (Trace is one I can account to as he and I created that voteblock) , and especially the endgame. Once that majority five alliance came together, he took control most of the time. Playing the social game is how you play the game

From my POV, there were two sides. Laurel/blue/you, or Shub/ragmatho/MK. RODAN and I had the option of siding with either, and opted for the Laurel/blue/you side since half of our tribe was Fumbler. rag was the perfect vote since he was the only one I didn't have a relationship with from the other side at that point. The only reason why RODAN had a "chance" of going was because I tipped the vote off to Shub and MK. MK then scrambled to try and get votes against RODAN, to no avail. Meanwhile, Shub agreed to use a throwaway vote against me in case you did decide to flip and vote with MK - that way there wouldn't be a tie. I definitely did have control here, all my bases were covered.
Interesting. Shub told me that they voted for you because they didn't think I was going to vote for RODAN and they wanted to "tell you off", if you will, by throwing their vote at you. shubaka17 can you clarify the situation?

cool cool
what were some of the best moments you had in this game btw?
I had a couple of great moments.

The one that stands out was when I beat AJ in a jigsaw battle to win my first immunity. Other than that, my other three immunity wins were all great for me too, and when I saw OM voted out unanimously, I was overjoyed.

Ultimately though, what stands above the individual moments is the relationships I was able to make with the other players in the game and what I learned about myself. This game really pushed me in that I had to do whatever it took to make it to the end. I knew that people like you and Whydon were going to root for me to make it and I didn't want to let you down.

Another thing that I said in my speech a lot that I want to reiterate is how you helped me so much with the strategy in this game. You were the first person I discussed every vote with. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you, and so I hope me being here can be a great moment for you too.

Cleo

Yes, I blew up in your DMs. Was it stupid and immature? Definitely. Did I have the right to be mad? Absolutely, I considered you one of my closest allies and I watched you blindside me.
I mean yes we were close, and yes you wanted Trace close to you even after what we were told. But I was playing Survivor like it’s meant to be. To quote yourself “Hopefully, as a fellow Survivor fan, you understand where I’m coming from.”, if you took this to more heart, you wouldn’t have acted so immaturely this game. It’s just survivor. It ain’t personal, but you made it so

I mean painting AJ as someone who “didn’t” make plays is doing him a disservice. Just as much as it would say if someone said Laurel didn’t make plays. AJ was at the head of many votes (Trace is one I can account to as he and I created that voteblock) , and especially the endgame. Once that majority five alliance came together, he took control most of the time. Playing the social game is how you play the game
While I said choice words with some people that I certainly regret, I also played a great social game. It was my relationship with Whydon that had him give me his idol to play for myself. It was the relationship I created with AJ that gave me eyes on the other side and saved me when Whydon and Blue were voted out.

If I'm being honest, one thing I'm incredibly proud of is how I used my social mistakes as leverage to get me further into this game. As I mentioned, unlike AJ, I didn't have the benefits of making mistakes in previous survivor games, and I had to learn on the fly. I used the argument "Nobody will vote for me because of my attitude" to help get me to the end. While it would have been better of course if I never burnt those bridges, I made due with the situation I put myself in.

I think it's unfair to criticize Laurel for acting out of emotion in that moment. I agree that he could have handled it better, but given that one of his closest allies had just flipped and destroyed the possibility of getting to final 7 in a clean sweep, I can see where Laurel was coming from. Survivor is a game about emotions, and you can't expect someone to be completely emotionless throughout the entire game, especially during moments where the situation seems like it could have been avoidable. If you can name one season of IRL Survivor where someone didn't cry/yell/get angry, I'll give you credit. I'm not saying you can't be mad at Laurel because he lashed out at you, because that's totally reasonable. But it's not reasonable to criticize someone for acting out with their emotions in a game where emotions are at an all-time high. It doesn't seem fair to do to Laurel as a person.

I mean yes we were close, and yes you wanted Trace close to you even after what we were told. But I was playing Survivor like it’s meant to be. To quote yourself “Hopefully, as a fellow Survivor fan, you understand where I’m coming from.”, if you took this to more heart, you wouldn’t have acted so immaturely this game. It’s just survivor. It ain’t personal, but you made it so
Yes, you warned me about trusting Trace, and you were right. You and Inferno made me pay for this and as I said, Bravo.

As I've mentioned, I learned a lot from this game as a person. If we were doing it over I would have never lashed out at you. I think that is part of the reason why the experience was so great. If I was thinking survivor at the time, I would have realized I couldn't burn bridges because ultimately I would need votes on the jury.

My game wasn't close to perfect, in fact, far from it, but I did everything in my power to get here. Sweat, persistence, and hope. Some of my early comments made it harder, but I put myself in that situation, and had to overcome the obstacles that were presented.

I made it personal? Yes, I did. Regrettably. Thats why I said I learned a lot... at the end of the day. This is just a game, and unlike the real thing its on a forum with a bunch of people just like me who like Pokemon and want to have fun. I don't say sorry much, its always been hard for me, so I just want you to know that I mean it... I'm sorry.

and no, I didn't just say it because I'd like to win. I said it because I mean it. I have a lot of pride, but I made a big mistake, and I'm owning it.

Cleo

It isn’t fair on both sides. Nobody should be told those words, flat out. Period. Acting out is one thing, but saying disgraceful words just goes to show true colors. Also to compare this to IRL survivor is not a fair comparison. You’re dealing with real people in real time. This is all online, and you take time with the messages you write. Even being able to delete/edit and apologize afterward. If talking about the winner of this season, the social game is entirely the point of this. Compared to AJ, you didn’t think how the Jury would think of you and allowed yourself to be painted as this symbol

There's a blurred line between how IRL Survivor should be played and how online Survivor should be played. You even said yourself that you played this game "the way Survivor should be played". I think in this situation it's fair to compare the two platforms, because emotions are present in both games. Yes, the way you express them is different, but it shouldn't deprive from the fact that people get angry, and lash out. If you're upset that Laurel said disgraceful words to you, that's completely reasonable. Anyone here can resonate with that. But it's not fair to criticize him for getting upset, especially give the position that he was put in. He's admitted that that was a fault in his game, and he's sorry for it. You can choose to accept it or not, but if your vote was decided based on who made you feel good and who didn't, then is there a reason to continue the conversation?

It isn’t fair on both sides. Nobody should be told those words, flat out. Period. Acting out is one thing, but saying disgraceful words just goes to show true colors. Also to compare this to IRL survivor is not a fair comparison. You’re dealing with real people in real time. This is all online, and you take time with the messages you write. Even being able to delete/edit and apologize afterward. If talking about the winner of this season, the social game is entirely the point of this. Compared to AJ, you didn’t think how the Jury would think of you and allowed yourself to be painted as this symbol
"You didn't think how the jury would think of you" I think this is an unfair summary of the jury members, just because I had a negative relationship with some of them doesn't mean they all think this way. I have friends on the jury too. I knew exactly how you and MK would think of me, to further this point, thats why I kept telling AJ "the jury won't like me, the jury won't like me". I've said it before, but I made a mistake.

However, I don't think its fair to judge my character and not expect a reaction for something when you initiated the situation by blindsiding me. And also, I was still dealing with real people in real time, only it was on the internet. To deny me or you are any less human than the people on the television is silly. We both have wants and desires. We love and want to be loved.

And Cleo, I just want you to know that I understand 100% where you're coming from. I'm sure Laurel's words did hurt you in some way, and your feelings shouldn't be discredited just because this is a game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)