being this young is art
With an unanimous 6-0 council vote, Gholdengo is up for a suspect test! With an amazing typing both defensively and offensively, good stats, and fantastic movepool, Gholdengo has all the tools to be a versatile and devastating threat with the right ability. More concerningly, "the right ability" can be Almost Any Ability, as it can run damage amp, defensive abilities, or immunity abilities to fit almost any need. The sheer unpredictability of Gholdengo adds to its threat level and is no small part of why it's up for a test; gussing the set wrong and giving it a free turn, or even worse a +2 boost from Well-Baked Body, can be game ending.
Gholdengo has a set for almost every need; it has the tools to go defensive, offensive, status spreader, TrickScarf, or even just plug a hole to a specific weakness. Shadow Ball (or Hex) + Make it Rain (or Steel Beam) have amazing coverage just between the two of them, giving it usually two moveslots to run Recover, Nasty Plot, Thunder Wave, Substitute, Trick, Dazzling Gleam, or Focus Blast as needed. On team preview, it can be very difficult to see what type of Gholdengo you are facing, and that's before even guessing the ability. Many of Gholdengo's weaknesses--Ground, Fire, Shadow Ball--can be patched up with an immunity ability, making it dangerous to attack before scouting; of course, not attacking it and letting it set up a Substitute or Nasty Plot isn't much better...
It also matches up exceedingly well into many common walls; Corviknight and Garganacl are powerless against Substitute variants, Dark-types like Kingambit and Roaring Moon risk dropping to coverage options, and passive walls like Blissey and Ting-Lu really aren't looking to put on a Choice Scarf. While each individual set has reliable counterplay, identifying the correct set in time and answering all of them on the same team is daunting, especially with the combination of sets + abilities. It's no surprise it has exceedingly high usage both on ladder and in tours, and the AAA money tour is full of replays showing off its sweeping potential.
Gholdengo is undeniably a large part of the meta, and in many ways, a healthy part. Its defensive sets, with the right ability, hard counter some of the most dangerous attackers in the tier like Baxcalibur and Cinderace. It is an important part of many reliable defensive cores and its offensive sets, while potent, are slow and still struggle with common walls like Ting-Lu. Given how large of a part of the existing metagame Gholdengo is, and how wide-reaching and debatably-unhealthy its controbutions are, the council unaminously agreed it's time to let The People (tm) vote!
How (Suspect Details):
During a Suspect test, each player must climb the ladder until they've acquired the GXE necessary to participate in the voting. Primarily, everyone that participates needs to make an alt account following these guidelines:
With that all of that being said, it's suspect time! As usual, the actual voting will take place in the Blind Voting Forum, so posting anything other than proof of reqs and discussion isn't necessary.
- Every game must be played on the official Pokemon Showdown! site and on a new account (creation date no earlier than today, February 18th) with "AAAGJ [Nick]"--for example, I could create one called "AAAGJ UT" to ladder with. Having the prefix at the beginning of your alt name is mandatory, AKA not in the middle (e.g. The AAAGJ Man) and not at the end (e.g. The AAAGJ).
- To qualify for voting, your alt must play a minimum of 25 games, and you must have a minimum GXE of 78.
- Gholdengo will be allowed on the ladder during the suspect.
- The suspect test will go for two weeks and end on Monday, March 6th at 10:00 AM GMT -5.
- When posting proof of meeting reqs, feel free to use this thread as a means to disseminate topical opinions regarding whether or not Gholdengo should be banned (Optional)
- It is mandatory to provide proof of ownership of the alt account as well. (Post a picture of your reqs with your smogon name featured)
Tagging Kris for implementation