Other Pre-DLC SV Monotype Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no expert, but to me the thing that separates chi-yu and chien-pao and makes one absolutely broken is that special attacks are so much harder to deal with than physical attacks.

Physical attacks have a huge variety of counters; intimidate stops it with a swap, burn permanently nerfs it, rocky helmet punishes it, physical attackers have always had checks.

Special attackers on the other hand have no checks other than a special wall. That's why every generation tends to lean on special attackers. It really needs some equivalent like a special attack intimate or importing the frost status from loa.

Chien-pao is a great attacker, but he's limited by poor bulk, so all cha really need is a good defensive Mon or a really fast revenge killer. While I hate the design choices for the ruin mechanics, having a physical attacker like chien-pao forces the metagame to be more dynamic, rather than just turning things into a special cold war. Chi-yu was just broken, having the best attacking stats, taking out special walls passively with no obvious instant weakness or counters.

Every generation has universal threats every type needs to plan for, but chien-pao feels like he can be planned for reasonably without taking away from the rest of the team. He adds a new element to planning, and helps enable HO, rather than being so broken every team is either abusing him or built only to stop him.

Dark is a type that is clearly a cut above all other types right now. While dark lacks hazard removal, which is a drawback, they have some of the most prominent and fast sweepers with Meowscarada, Greninja, and Chien Pao and good defensive options and support from Sableye and Ting Lu not to mention all of the other strong mons in dark that will not be the focus of this post (Hydreigon, Iron Jugulis, Bisharp, Roaring Moon, Grimmsnarl, Lokix, etc.).

The mon that I think is not getting enough attention for being a focal point of dark's power level is Kingambit. Kingambit provides more to the dark team in my opinion than any of the above listed mons (including Chien Pao). Kingambit is an incredibly strong sweeper with base 135 atk and Supreme Overlord. Kingambit also provides defensive utility with its good bulk of 100 HP 120 Def 85 Sp Def and in its typing of Steel Dark only being week to Fighting, Ground, and Fire. This combination of offensive presence combined with bulk and good defensive typing allows it to differentiate itself from the other premier physical offensive threats of Lokix, Chien Pao, and Meowscarada. Kingambit has good STABs with Kowtow Cleave, Iron Head, and Sucker Punch, and Kingambit has reasonable coverage options of Brick Break, Zen Headbutt, and Stone Edge. Kingambit also has the ability to boost its incredibly high atk even further using SD. For these reasons, Kingambit can switch in on opposing threats, set-up, and sweep using a combination of its STABs and coverage moves to take-out defensive options and sucker punch to take out more offensive checks.

Some more nuanced points:

Dark lacking hazard removal tends to force it into a more offensive playstyle overall. This playstyle means that many threats on dark teams are frail and fast. Kingambit helps to patch over this weakness by being a very offensive mon that still has quite good bulk. This defensive utility is vital to the success of many dark teams since Kingambit can take a few hits without losing momentum.

Kingambit is also quite oppressive to many types. My experience in Monotype is largely in Poison, Ghost, Dark and Ground, so I will restrict my thoughts to those four. But, from playing dark, I have watched Kingambit essentially solo other types like dragon, ice, and flying. When playing Poison, Kingambit can essentially break through any of your defensive options while your offensive don't check it terribly well in late game. Kingambit (5 allies fainted) does 43%-50% to pex and with SD that suddenly becomes 85%-100%. This means that you are in a game of 50/50s where should you haze or recover or attack with the pex and Kingambit will ultimately win this exchange. Clodsire ignores Kingambit SD but it still get 2HKO'd from full by Kingambit even with full defense investment and only does ~45% with EQ in return, so it is not an effective counter. The only offensive checks that handle Kingambit on poison are Salazzle and Wisp Iron Moth. Salazzle must deal with some 50/50s to check Kingambit because Sucker Punch from Kingambit will OHKO it while if it tries to get behind a sub, Kingambit can continually break subs with its other offensive moves (like Kowtow Cleave). Additionally, flamethrower only does 82%-96% to Kingambit so 2 are required to take it out. Wisp Iron Moth is a more clean Kingambit check but less effective in many other match-ups than scarf or specs Moth. For Ghost, playing around Kingambit involves burning it with Skeledirge or Sableye or tricking it with Gholdengo, but even with that counter play burnt Kingambit will likely pick up more value against ghost than would be expected of most mons in a given matchup. Additionally, Kingambit revenges essentially every ghost mon between Kowtow Cleave and Sucker Punch. For Dark mirror match-ups, Kingambit is quite important because it is a defensive piece that takes fast U-turns well, which the rest of the dark team tends not to do particularly well. Kingambit's bulk also allows it to take a hit from an opposing fast frail sweeper and revenge it or use sucker punch to take out a damaged sweeper. For Ground, they possess the most effective counterplay to Kingambit of these four types, so I would not say it is not particularly effective in that match-up. That said. Due to Kingambit's enormous attack stat, it can still find good value in the Ground match up by Sucker-Punching down Iron Treads, Sandy Shocks or Garchomp from half as well as being able to eat an EQ from Iron Treads or Garchomp. It can also find value from pressuring Quagsire or Clodsire with Kowtow Cleave meaning that even in one of its hardest match-ups, it still has good opportunities to find value.

One point to consider against Kingambit is that Roaring Moon is a physical threat on dark that has defensive utility as well, but I would argue that Kingambit is better in this realm because of steel being a better defensive type than dragon and Kingambit being tankier on the physical side. Additionally, Kingambit hits much harder than Roaring Moon when factoring in Supreme Overlord and Kingambit has access to STAB priority of sucker punch, which Roaring Moon does not. Therefore, Kingambit is more threatening to frail and fast sweepers than Roaring Moon is.

Overall, I would advocate for a Suspect Test of Kingambit in the near future since I believe it is a more problematic mon on dark than is Chien Pao or any other mon in this type.

Sorry for such a long post. Please let me know your thoughts.

https://pokepast.es/41397af31e760e54 i made this ghost team in like 5 minutes, but it has been destroying so far. I have ten wins and only one loss where i played poorly. It's low ladder but still. Thoughts? (also ik this this doesnt matter when competitively rating the team, but for the record i didnt even realize i was putting the top 4 vr mons all on the team lmao)

I've been a ghost main for a quite some time, here are my thoughts, first, I am strictly against the use of life orb, it's not worth it. Second, you are absolutely forced to run jolly on pult. outspeeding mane is a very important thing. Lastly I recomend you run something that can break clodsire. Energy ball mane isn't cutting it. Your only solution is trick gholdengo right now. On froslass, I prefeer icy wind, it helps against people trying to avoid destiny bond.

I've been a ghost main for a quite some time, here are my thoughts, first, I am strictly against the use of life orb, it's not worth it. Second, you are absolutely forced to run jolly on pult. outspeeding mane is a very important thing. Lastly I recomend you run something that can break clodsire. Energy ball mane isn't cutting it. Your only solution is trick gholdengo right now. On froslass, I prefeer icy wind, it helps against people trying to avoid destiny bond.
https://pokepast.es/5bffa669f9bcbf20 edited it; I personally like s ball on froslass, but ill consider changing it. Also should i drop nasty plot on gholdengo for f blast for kingambit? Edit: so far psyshock has been great for clodsire; it does around 95%

Last edited:
I've been getting 'back into' monotype for SV after being absent since Gen 5 (it was a locals meta rather than Showdown), so still getting back into the swing of things.

Been hovering around 1500 with my mono steel, 58/31 so far
https://pokepast.es/179bb37dc4d8f8ce (specific EVs will fluctuate from day to day depending on how I've felt the meta is going - Corviknight started full SpD but has slowly made its way full Def)

Probably going to change it up to a different type soon just to get a taste from another perspective, but in the meantime, I've noticed a few things about the meta that... feel off.

So the big one, that immediately comes to mind, is items - I know not everybody is going to agree (and I honestly don't want to change anything since I've not seen enough of the meta, yet) but something just feels... off about teams literally just stacking 4 Black Sludges, or 4 Leftovers, etc. I dunno. Maybe it's my item clause battle tower/VGC brain talking nonsense, and I just need to get used to it, but it just feels... off

So the second, I feel, are the prevalence of Dark and Water. I might be in the minority, but I actually don't know if dark is all that outside of expected power level. I know with my team I've sort of built the team with Dark almost specifically in mind (Scizor and Corviknight being pretty chunky counters to a lot that Dark does). It definitely feels strong, but it doesn't feel oppressive, just commonly used.

But, Water... I dunno, I feel like something's gotta give, with all of its myriad build options - that Water is just as viable in a hyper-aggro choice band swim set and as a turbo(is that even the word?) stall Unaware/Regenerator set and anything in between just feels frustrating.

I haven't got any recommendations on either - mostly because it feels like I'm way out of step with a lot of people (probably just the team I've been running) - but figured I should put it down and set this message-in-a-bottle adrift so I can laugh at what a fool I was in the future (or maybe come back and find a cargo cult in it's wake. Who knows!?)

With us being in spring, and people speculating about home, let's look at the new pokemon we will have access to.

:Arcanine-Hisui:: This shit is amazing, stab head smash and flare blitz without recoil is really strong. 90 speed is rly not bad, scarf cleans really easily and band wallbreaks like crazy.
:Arceus:: Uber
:Articuno:: Ice + Flying :|, this is not relevant
:Articuno-Galar:: I like this but it sucks, the best it can do is CM sweep which is not relevant on flying because g-moltres exists and outclassed by better CM sweepers
:Avalugg-Hisui:: Lower spdef does not matter cuz its spdef is already trash, it has really good defense and great attack. However, it will still suck because ice + rock is garbo typing
:Azelf:: SO outclassed
:Basculegion:: PLEASE BAN LAST RESPECT RATHER THAN BAN BASCULEIGON AND HOUNDSTONE. Assuming it's last respect that's banned and this is legal I think it can be really amazing. Adaptability or swift swim are both amazing. Ghost will prob run adaptability and water will prob run swift swim. Under rain, this + floatzel + baraskewda just go brr. On ghost, water stab is quite nice, 120 hp allows it to tank some hits, quite nice
:Basculegion-F:: why use this over male? this mon's special attack movepool is so much worse than physical
:Braviary-Hisui:: esper wing + tinted lens I feel is much better than sheer force. You can run SF LO but 65 speed is trash. However, this thing is very strong and I can see psychic and flying both running it.
:Calyrex:: lmao
:Calyrex-Ice:: Uber
:Calyrex-Shadow:: Uber
:Carbink:: Why use this over diancie?
:Chesnaught:: We got breloom, we got Decidueye-H, we even got Liligant-H, why use this other than for BP ID shenanigans.
:Cresselia:: I think it would be a decent CM sweeper, i'm not sure about this one, it's bulk is really good.
:Decidueye:: Why run this over bramble ghast?
:Decidueye-Hisui:: It's decent, triple arrows is a great move, not going above B tier though on either types
:Delphox:: This is actually pretty good, np + fire move + psychic move + fblast is pretty nice.
:Dialga:: Uber
:Dialga-Origin:: Uber
:Diancie:: Best stealth rocker on both fairy and rock. Diamond storm sweeper with BP is also quite nice. For rock though, even if diancie is best SR user, diamond storm would be the best niche as kleavor's presence makes setting up rocks manually not too worth it
:Dugtrio-Alola:: Just use iron treads.
:Electrode-Hisui:: I actually think this is going to be great. Grass + electric is good combo and helps grass deal with flying and helps electric deal with ground better. However, considering clodsire walls this, I don't think it's going to be mandatory. Still, great addition
:Enamorus:: Contrary+superpower is nice but I feel like CM+cute charm is going to be better though. Still this is S or A tier mon regardless, especially with springtide storm
:Enamorus-Therian:: I think incarnate form is better, but the access to healing wish, overcoat, sprintide storm, etc is decent. If incarnate gets banned, we may run it but I don't think it's likely. 46 spe pokemon with no reliable recovery outside rest is bad
:Eternatus:: Uber
:Giratina:: Uber
:Giratina-Origin:: Uber
:Glastrier:: Could be decent on ice. Snow boosting defense means the WP agility set could work.
:Goodra-Hisui:: This is a god sent to both dragon and steel. Steel traditionally lacked switchins to fire outside heatran which is extremely vulnerable any ground move and dragon lacks the switchin to fairy and dragon moves. This thing packs 150 spdef, 80 hp and 100 defense which is amazing for both types. On steel it gives it access to a great special attacker with a good movepool which steel lacked(tran and aegis are good but movepool is not enough to help steel) helps a lot. ice beam, surf, hydro pump, all are moves steel need. On dragon, this shit is basically mandatory. However, what holds this thing back is the lack of recovery outside life dew and rest both of which are trash.
:Groudon:: Uber
:Heatran:: |Corvi: welcome back old friend, we were waiting for ya.| Steel again, against all odds, completed the immunity core. Even with aegis gone, we got gholdengo and somehow, one of the steel birbs survived. Defo a great return. As for fire, steel typing is amazing, but I think fire needs to be offensive and with the lack of eruption, it's gonna be hard.
:Hoopa:: Just use unbound
:Hoopa-Unbound:: Why does dark get another stupid ass great pokemon. This is legit not fair. Anyways, this thing is amazing, 160 170 offenses with 80 speed makes this the most absurd wall breaker. However, it might get banned.
:Inteleon:: Uh why use this? water has so many better options.
:Kleavor:: SR in a move boosted by sharpness, POG!!! This thing solves basically every problem bug have. Bug is weak to fire and flying, problems which kleavor basically solves. Even if corvi and lando switchs on this, kleavor is making sure rocks are up. As for rock, I think kleavor is just going to lead and spam stone axe to ensure rocks are up
:Kyogre:: Uber
:Landorus:: SR+LO has like little switch, especially with sandsear storm, I advise a quickban
:Landorus-Therian:: |Corvi(this time on flying): My fren, where have you been!!! :D| This is landorus-T, I don't think I need to explain why landorus-T is good on both flying and ground.
:Lilligant-Hisui:: Victory dance sweeper is quite nice. You have ice spinner for lando and other flying types. However, not being to hit gholdengo at all is a huge nerf as both fighting and grass have problems with that pokemon.
:Magearna:: I want to use it, but I know it will get banned legit on gay 1.
:Meloetta:: This is indeedee but with better stat spread but with serene grace instead of psychic surge. I would argue that both fill different niches and are extremely good on psychic. This is also much more useful on normal than indeedee.
:Mesprit:: This is worse azelf/uxie, both of which are trash
:Mew:: Psychic is really gonna need this thing's movepool. S or A tier, no questions asked.
:Mewtwo:: Uber
:Moltres:: Flame body is nice, but I feel like it's gonna compete for a team slot with a lot of good pokemon. Idk on this one.
:Moltres-Galar:: Double dance goltres is back baby WOOO!!! Honestly, considering how banworthy this thing was towards late SS meta, i think it is staying in S tier. Also dark gets another broken pokemon, I hate this.
:Muk-Alola:: BRO, why does dark get all this attention. Not only is this a decently sturdy flutter mane check, it also absorbs t-spikes, it has knock off, toxic, disable, etc. On Poison, it provides the immensely useful psychic immunity. Honestly, how the f is psychic going to win the poison mu is this and the next pokemon exists.
:Overqwil:: Great, another busted dark type. This can run sd or just set up tspikes and spikes, however, I feel this and muk might be competing for a slot. On poison, I mean, psychic is not gonna like this.
:Palkia:: Uber
:Palkia-Origin:: Uber
:Persian-Alola:: dark has too many good options over this
:Raichu-Alola:: pincurchin+alola-rai is like discount koko-rai. However, un electric terrain, this is still amazing. S or A tier for sure. As for psychic, idt it's gonna run this.
:Rayquaza:: Uber
:Regidrago:: Without tera type, this thing is still gonna be mid.
:Regieleki:: Without tera type, this is not going to be the best thing we see in OU. However, it's also very valuable for electric and basically forces every non resist/immune type to run ground types.
:Rillaboom:: BRO WTF, this shit lost grassy glide, high horsepower, superpower. Great, now it has to rely on eq or drain punch/brick break to hit stuff heatran, the former doing half damage because of terrain. The latter being explotable because of steel and fire's access to ghost types. I know this is bad example but still, this is so sad. However, I think grass is still gonna run this. It's so much more reliable than seed sower arboliva.
:Samurott:: The only notable is that it has aqua jet, knock off, and swords dance which is not notable. It didn't even get sharpness WTF. Yeah don't use this
:Samurott-Hisui:: Bro, another broken dark type, "depressed yeah". Spikes on a sharpness boosted move, knock off, swords dance, aqua jet, succer punch, xscizor, aqua cutter. I mean it's quite nice. However I think that this is going to do is just run a scarf/band set and spam ceaseless edge untill there are 3 layers of spikes and every attempt to remove it is countered but more layers being up.
:Slowbro-Galar:: Man, both poison and psychic have better stuff. Especially its brother.
:Slowking-Galar:: AV glowking, S/A tier. Period.
:Sneasler:: This thing has the most broken signature move ever, 80 base power, and has a WOPPING 50% TO STATUS OPPONENT(with sleep/para/poison). This is basically effect spore inflicted onto your opponent with 50% chance. Not really fair. This thing also has switcheroo to run choice sets, sd+unburden coupled with 120 speed 130 attack. To give you guys an idea, with 160 spe evs, no boosting nature, this thing outspeeds scarf dragapult with spe boosting nature. With 212 spe, you outspeed base 100s without the unburden boost. I leegit have now words. This thing is mandatory on both poison and fighting.
:Spectrier:: Fast ghost type. I mean this is just flutter mane with, worse coverage and slightly worse speed but with special moxie, higher spa, and more bulk. I'd say this is going to be a staple. Not broken but pretty good.
:Tauros:: Sheer for sets are nice, normal is gonna like this thing but normal is still gonna remain trash.
:Thundurus:: Prankster actually hurts with the abundance of dark types. If you run physical with defiant, you no longer have knock off, so I feel like running incarnate is better.
:Thundurus-Therian:: to Wildbolt storm or to thunderbolt, that is the question. Anyways, this is great mon on flying but outclassed on another pokemon on electric.
:Tornadus:: Like thunderus incarnate, run therian other this.
:Tornadus-Therian:: It lost knock off but gained bleakwind storm, overall a nerf but still a great pokemon
:Typhlosion:: scarf eruption is its only niche, a decent one but not spectacular.
:Typhlosion-Hisui:: ghost type scald is hex nice, especially since the same move is also hex and it helps enable hex psam on ghost. Overall, this is an A-tier mon in ghost and a better regular typlosion on fire because the extra spa and ghost type is better than the extra 5 spe.
:Ursaluna:: I genuinely think this needs to get banned. This is melm but with 2 stabs. Although flame orb does decrease its longevity, this thing's bulk and attack stat are way too high. Facade+headlong rush has like virtually no switch. If you aren't immune of resistant to this thing's attack, then you'r gonna get 2hko or mostly ohko. In fact, here is a list of pokemon that resists, its stabs: brambleghast, corviknight, decidueye, driftblim, and oricorio sensu. The first 3 get shat on by fire punch, the latter get wrecked by crunch. To show you how insane this thing is:

-1 252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 222-262 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yes, this thing is slow, but it has really good bulk to tank hits, not only to mention it has trailblaze to boost speed and not to mention it has yawn and SWORDS DANCE. After SD, half of you team is guaranteed to be severely weakened. The only counter play is to outspeed and kill it but killing is tough because of its bulk. Honestly ban.
:Urshifu:: Why in the world did these 2 get swords dance. Punching glove + SD + wicked blow = ban
:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:: Punching glove + SD + rain + surging strikes = ban
:Uxie:: Bro, a bulky, no recovery psychic type with the only distinct thing being levitate and yawn. terrible.
:Volcanion:: The only user of scald in the entire game, but seriously, why use scald when steam eruption exists. Water absorb paired with good spa and movepool makes this a great pokemon
:Wyrdeer:: intimidate is great, 65 spe is not. I can you running a trailblaze psyshield bash set but even that is not more valuable over stuff like indeedee and meloetta.
:Zacian:: Uber
:Zacian-Crowned:: Uber
:Zamazenta:: Here me out, this is not broken. First both forms got nerfed, second, the ability got nerfed. Yes ID + high speed + BP + dauntless shield is scary, but there are ways to play around it. I understand this outspeed flutter mane but I feel like fighting really needs it.
:Zamazenta-Crowned:: Ok, I also don't want to see this banned, but with how steel got access to tran and how fighting got access to sneasler I feel like this could be a bid much. High speed, high bulk, and the fighting steel typing is pretty darn good however I believe counter play exists.
:Zapdos:: Electric absolutely need this this. Electross and oricorio wasn't close to enough. Sadly, it lost defog and roost is only 8 pp, but it's still quite nice.
:Zapdos-Galar:: This is back, sry flamigo and hawlucha, yall no longer are worth while on both fighting and flying.
:Zarude:: Why run this when meowscarada exists lol
:Zoroark-Hisui:: This is a god send to both ghost and normal. Illusion is omega predictable, however here is the thing, you don't need them to predict the illusion. You just need to abuse your ghost normal typing. For the longest type, the best answer normal had for fighting moves was either something like fluffy, or flying/psychic types, all pokemon belonging to those types are physicall frail which didn't help. Second, ghost had no way to switch into ghost type moves outside of dark types which spiritomb has no recovery and sableye is frail af. This thing is basically mandatory on both ghost and normal. Frailness hurts but common, 3 immunities with only a single weakness is really good.

Overall, I have 1 comment.
F**** YOU DARK, WHY DID YOU GET URSH, SAMU-H, HOOPA-U, A-MUK, OVERQ, AND GOLTRES THIS SHIT AIN'T FAIR

I'd just like to add that Enamorus has the same spatk as Flutter Mane. Specs Enamorus won't have many switch ins and strongly benefits mono flying as a diet Flutter Mane. Scarf Enamorus also works for outspeeding Chien Pao, Dragapult, etc. Enamorus' set up sets seem iffy to me. Contrary superpower is really tempting, but running a choice item for immediate damage is probably the objectively better choice.
Also, Enamorus Therian will probably be used with wish passers like Scream Tail. Not great by any means, but it could potentially be really annoying.

With us being in spring, and people speculating about home, let's look at the new pokemon we will have access to.

:Arcanine-Hisui:: This shit is amazing, stab head smash and flare blitz without recoil is really strong. 90 speed is rly not bad, scarf cleans really easily and band wallbreaks like crazy.
:Articuno-Galar:: I like this but it sucks, the best it can do is CM sweep which is not relevant on flying because g-moltres exists and outclassed by better CM sweepers
:Avalugg-Hisui:: Lower spdef does not matter cuz its spdef is already trash, it has really good defense and great attack. However, it will still suck because ice + rock is garbo typing
:Basculegion:: PLEASE BAN LAST RESPECT RATHER THAN BAN BASCULEIGON AND HOUNDSTONE. Assuming it's last respect that's banned and this is legal I think it can be really amazing. Adaptability or swift swim are both amazing. Ghost will prob run adaptability and water will prob run swift swim. Under rain, this + floatzel + baraskewda just go brr. On ghost, water stab is quite nice, 120 hp allows it to tank some hits, quite nice
:Basculegion-F:: why use this over male? this mon's special attack movepool is so much worse than physical
:Braviary-Hisui:: esper wing + tinted lens I feel is much better than sheer force. You can run SF LO but 65 speed is trash. However, this thing is very strong and I can see psychic and flying both running it.
:Chesnaught:: We got breloom, we got Decidueye-H, we even got Liligant-H, why use this other than for BP ID shenanigans.
:Cresselia:: I think it would be a decent CM sweeper, i'm not sure about this one, it's bulk is really good.
:Decidueye-Hisui:: It's decent, triple arrows is a great move, not going above B tier though on either types
:Delphox:: This is actually pretty good, np + fire move + psychic move + fblast is pretty nice.
:Diancie:: Best stealth rocker on both fairy and rock. Diamond storm sweeper with BP is also quite nice. For rock though, even if diancie is best SR user, diamond storm would be the best niche as kleavor's presence makes setting up rocks manually not too worth it
:Electrode-Hisui:: I actually think this is going to be great. Grass + electric is good combo and helps grass deal with flying and helps electric deal with ground better. However, considering clodsire walls this, I don't think it's going to be mandatory. Still, great addition
:Enamorus:: Contrary+superpower is nice but I feel like CM+cute charm is going to be better though. Still this is S or A tier mon regardless, especially with springtide storm
:Enamorus-Therian:: I think incarnate form is better, but the access to healing wish, overcoat, sprintide storm, etc is decent. If incarnate gets banned, we may run it but I don't think it's likely. 46 spe pokemon with no reliable recovery outside rest is bad
:Glastrier:: Could be decent on ice. Snow boosting defense means the WP agility set could work.
:Goodra-Hisui:: This is a god sent to both dragon and steel. Steel traditionally lacked switchins to fire outside heatran which is extremely vulnerable any ground move and dragon lacks the switchin to fairy and dragon moves. This thing packs 150 spdef, 80 hp and 100 defense which is amazing for both types. On steel it gives it access to a great special attacker with a good movepool which steel lacked(tran and aegis are good but movepool is not enough to help steel) helps a lot. ice beam, surf, hydro pump, all are moves steel need. On dragon, this shit is basically mandatory. However, what holds this thing back is the lack of recovery outside life dew and rest both of which are trash.
:Heatran:: |Corvi: welcome back old friend, we were waiting for ya.| Steel again, against all odds, completed the immunity core. Even with aegis gone, we got gholdengo and somehow, one of the steel birbs survived. Defo a great return. As for fire, steel typing is amazing, but I think fire needs to be offensive and with the lack of eruption, it's gonna be hard.
:Hoopa-Unbound:: Why does dark get another stupid ass great pokemon. This is legit not fair. Anyways, this thing is amazing, 160 170 offenses with 80 speed makes this the most absurd wall breaker. However, it might get banned.
:Kleavor:: SR in a move boosted by sharpness, POG!!! This thing solves basically every problem bug have. Bug is weak to fire and flying, problems which kleavor basically solves. Even if corvi and lando switchs on this, kleavor is making sure rocks are up. As for rock, I think kleavor is just going to lead and spam stone axe to ensure rocks are up
:Landorus:: SR+LO has like little switch, especially with sandsear storm, I advise a quickban
:Landorus-Therian:: |Corvi(this time on flying): My fren, where have you been!!! :D| This is landorus-T, I don't think I need to explain why landorus-T is good on both flying and ground.
:Lilligant-Hisui:: Victory dance sweeper is quite nice. You have ice spinner for lando and other flying types. However, not being to hit gholdengo at all is a huge nerf as both fighting and grass have problems with that pokemon.
:Meloetta:: This is indeedee but with better stat spread but with serene grace instead of psychic surge. I would argue that both fill different niches and are extremely good on psychic. This is also much more useful on normal than indeedee.
:Mew:: Psychic is really gonna need this thing's movepool. S or A tier, no questions asked.
:Moltres:: Flame body is nice, but I feel like it's gonna compete for a team slot with a lot of good pokemon. Idk on this one.
:Moltres-Galar:: Double dance goltres is back baby WOOO!!! Honestly, considering how banworthy this thing was towards late SS meta, i think it is staying in S tier. Also dark gets another broken pokemon, I hate this.
:Muk-Alola:: BRO, why does dark get all this attention. Not only is this a decently sturdy flutter mane check, it also absorbs t-spikes, it has knock off, toxic, disable, etc. On Poison, it provides the immensely useful psychic immunity. Honestly, how the f is psychic going to win the poison mu is this and the next pokemon exists.
:Overqwil:: Great, another busted dark type. This can run sd or just set up tspikes and spikes, however, I feel this and muk might be competing for a slot. On poison, I mean, psychic is not gonna like this.
:Raichu-Alola:: pincurchin+alola-rai is like discount koko-rai. However, un electric terrain, this is still amazing. S or A tier for sure. As for psychic, idt it's gonna run this.
:Regieleki:: Without tera type, this is not going to be the best thing we see in OU. However, it's also very valuable for electric and basically forces every non resist/immune type to run ground types.
:Rillaboom:: BRO WTF, this shit lost grassy glide, high horsepower, superpower. Great, now it has to rely on eq or drain punch/brick break to hit stuff heatran, the former doing half damage because of terrain. The latter being explotable because of steel and fire's access to ghost types. I know this is bad example but still, this is so sad. However, I think grass is still gonna run this. It's so much more reliable than seed sower arboliva.
:Samurott:: The only notable is that it has aqua jet, knock off, and swords dance which is not notable. It didn't even get sharpness WTF. Yeah don't use this
:Samurott-Hisui:: Bro, another broken dark type, "depressed yeah". Spikes on a sharpness boosted move, knock off, swords dance, aqua jet, succer punch, xscizor, aqua cutter. I mean it's quite nice. However I think that this is going to do is just run a scarf/band set and spam ceaseless edge untill there are 3 layers of spikes and every attempt to remove it is countered but more layers being up.
:Slowbro-Galar:: Man, both poison and psychic have better stuff. Especially its brother.
:Sneasler:: This thing has the most broken signature move ever, 80 base power, and has a WOPPING 50% TO STATUS OPPONENT(with sleep/para/poison). This is basically effect spore inflicted onto your opponent with 50% chance. Not really fair. This thing also has switcheroo to run choice sets, sd+unburden coupled with 120 speed 130 attack. To give you guys an idea, with 160 spe evs, no boosting nature, this thing outspeeds scarf dragapult with spe boosting nature. With 212 spe, you outspeed base 100s without the unburden boost. I leegit have now words. This thing is mandatory on both poison and fighting.
:Spectrier:: Fast ghost type. I mean this is just flutter mane with, worse coverage and slightly worse speed but with special moxie, higher spa, and more bulk. I'd say this is going to be a staple. Not broken but pretty good.
:Tauros:: Sheer for sets are nice, normal is gonna like this thing but normal is still gonna remain trash.
:Thundurus:: Prankster actually hurts with the abundance of dark types. If you run physical with defiant, you no longer have knock off, so I feel like running incarnate is better.
:Thundurus-Therian:: to Wildbolt storm or to thunderbolt, that is the question. Anyways, this is great mon on flying but outclassed on another pokemon on electric.
:Tornadus-Therian:: It lost knock off but gained bleakwind storm, overall a nerf but still a great pokemon
:Typhlosion:: scarf eruption is its only niche, a decent one but not spectacular.
:Typhlosion-Hisui:: ghost type scald is hex nice, especially since the same move is also hex and it helps enable hex psam on ghost. Overall, this is an A-tier mon in ghost and a better regular typlosion on fire because the extra spa and ghost type is better than the extra 5 spe.
:Ursaluna:: I genuinely think this needs to get banned. This is melm but with 2 stabs. Although flame orb does decrease its longevity, this thing's bulk and attack stat are way too high. Facade+headlong rush has like virtually no switch. If you aren't immune of resistant to this thing's attack, then you'r gonna get 2hko or mostly ohko. In fact, here is a list of pokemon that resists, its stabs: brambleghast, corviknight, decidueye, driftblim, and oricorio sensu. The first 3 get shat on by fire punch, the latter get wrecked by crunch. To show you how insane this thing is:

-1 252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 222-262 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yes, this thing is slow, but it has really good bulk to tank hits, not only to mention it has trailblaze to boost speed and not to mention it has yawn and SWORDS DANCE. After SD, half of you team is guaranteed to be severely weakened. The only counter play is to outspeed and kill it but killing is tough because of its bulk. Honestly ban.
:Urshifu:: Why in the world did these 2 get swords dance. Punching glove + SD + wicked blow = ban
:Uxie:: Bro, a bulky, no recovery psychic type with the only distinct thing being levitate and yawn. terrible.
:Volcanion:: The only user of scald in the entire game, but seriously, why use scald when steam eruption exists. Water absorb paired with good spa and movepool makes this a great pokemon
:Wyrdeer:: intimidate is great, 65 spe is not. I can you running a trailblaze psyshield bash set but even that is not more valuable over stuff like indeedee and meloetta.
:Zamazenta:: Here me out, this is not broken. First both forms got nerfed, second, the ability got nerfed. Yes ID + high speed + BP + dauntless shield is scary, but there are ways to play around it. I understand this outspeed flutter mane but I feel like fighting really needs it.
:Zamazenta-Crowned:: Ok, I also don't want to see this banned, but with how steel got access to tran and how fighting got access to sneasler I feel like this could be a bid much. High speed, high bulk, and the fighting steel typing is pretty darn good however I believe counter play exists.
:Zapdos:: Electric absolutely need this this. Electross and oricorio wasn't close to enough. Sadly, it lost defog and roost is only 8 pp, but it's still quite nice.
:Zapdos-Galar:: This is back, sry flamigo and hawlucha, yall no longer are worth while on both fighting and flying.
:Zoroark-Hisui:: This is a god send to both ghost and normal. Illusion is omega predictable, however here is the thing, you don't need them to predict the illusion. You just need to abuse your ghost normal typing. For the longest type, the best answer normal had for fighting moves was either something like fluffy, or flying/psychic types, all pokemon belonging to those types are physicall frail which didn't help. Second, ghost had no way to switch into ghost type moves outside of dark types which spiritomb has no recovery and sableye is frail af. This thing is basically mandatory on both ghost and normal. Frailness hurts but common, 3 immunities with only a single weakness is really good.

F**** YOU DARK, WHY DID YOU GET URSH, SAMU-H, HOOPA-U, A-MUK, OVERQ, AND GOLTRES THIS SHIT AIN'T FAIR
Yeah a bunch of commentary on this new mons list is kinda ignoring the meta/what the mon actually brings. Like you ain't running Sandsear Storm Lando, you're running Earth Power - no gravity on Lando is a huge debuff, though it does gets Nasty Plot. :Muk-Alola: no longer has recycle or pursuit, so it's 2 biggest sets from gen 7 a bit nerfed there also. :Diancie:'s role on Rock was primarily a trick room setter, providing counterplay in the fighting mu, not a rocker, and it'll still have a niche in fairy for rocks methinks. Zarude definitely has a niche over Meow, though it'll be a tough fight for the spot it's a huge SD threat esp. with trailblaze. You missed alot of new stuff too like :Cresselia:'s new move and I thought the lake spirits got a new move. Azelf has always been a fun suicide lead and especially with limited options I wanna see if it gets that role again. Decidueye is a new hazard remover for grass/ghost, and fights for a spot with bramble which has more utility but I still see it as a different option which can do some stuff like stallbreak. Like why would normal use Tauros, never really been good it's not like sheer force is new. You also somehow missed :Spectrier: getting draining kiss + psychic this gen now. The distinction between :basculegion: forms was also a bit of an L, Female can actually do consistent STAB ghost attacks with Shadow Ball/Hex, only physical ghost moves basc gets are Last Respects which is getting banned and Phantom Force. Main difference way I see it, Male gets insane damage Wave Crash + Aqua Jet. Female will probs spam Specs shadow ball/hydro pump. Either way both super important to help with problem mons like hatterene.

Yeah a bunch of commentary on this new mons list is kinda ignoring the meta/what the mon actually brings. Like you ain't running Sandsear Storm Lando, you're running Earth Power - no gravity on Lando is a huge debuff, though it does gets Nasty Plot. :Muk-Alola: no longer has recycle or pursuit, so it's 2 biggest sets from gen 7 a bit nerfed there also. :Diancie:'s role on Rock was primarily a trick room setter, providing counterplay in the fighting mu, not a rocker, and it'll still have a niche in fairy for rocks methinks. Zarude definitely has a niche over Meow, though it'll be a tough fight for the spot it's a huge SD threat esp. with trailblaze. You missed alot of new stuff too like :Cresselia:'s new move and I thought the lake spirits got a new move. Azelf has always been a fun suicide lead and especially with limited options I wanna see if it gets that role again. Decidueye is a new hazard remover for grass/ghost, and fights for a spot with bramble which has more utility but I still see it as a different option which can do some stuff like stallbreak. Like why would normal use Tauros, never really been good it's not like sheer force is new. You also somehow missed :Spectrier: getting draining kiss + psychic this gen now. The distinction between :basculegion: forms was also a bit of an L, Female can actually do consistent STAB ghost attacks with Shadow Ball/Hex, only physical ghost moves basc gets are Last Respects which is getting banned and Phantom Force. Main difference way I see it, Male gets insane damage Wave Crash + Aqua Jet. Female will probs spam Specs shadow ball/hydro pump. Either way both super important to help with problem mons like hatterene.
Thanks for pointing out the mistakes I made. Cres' new move only heals 25%, so it's basically jungle healing, so I can this being the CM psychic version of BU zarude in SS. As for alolan muk, lack of reliable recovery is a hinderance but the higher attack, high spdef and access to knock off still makes it the premier dark poison, especially on poison which is borderline required it have this to not auto lose to psychic attacks. As for the pixies, I think that mesprit will still suck. However I can see azelf and uxie making a splash. The move mysitcal power is just 70 BP psychic torch song that doesn't hit through substitute, all in all, not that big of a nerf. With Uxie's bulk, there is a chance to get up to crazy spa and you can even use stored power for a strong hit. As for azelf, running this move with either specs/scarf looks deadly as hell because azelf is naturally hard to outspeed and spamming this move is viable. You do have to watch out for dark types which got an immense number of buffs and as well as new inclusions on other types. Thanksfully, flamethrower and dazzling gleam should help.
To end you mentioned how lando no longer having gravity is a huge nerf. I disagree. The main reason gravity was viable was because gravity turned the steel mu from a semi losing/neutral to a definately winning MU and it helped a lot in making the flying MU more manageable. This gen, the impact of gravity is significantly reduced as the rise of gravity will just force steel to run orthworm on teams and ground already seems(idk I haven't tried the meta but it seems to be that way) to have an overwhelming winning MU vs steel post home to begin with. As for flying, so many ground types have access to ice spinner, you gain access to ursaluna and landorus. By intimidate pivoting or being the ground type melm, respectively. Flying also lost mantine preventing the annoying scald+toxic combo, and celesteela, a flying steel type that can threaten ground types with leech seed/grass coverage. Some of the most significant problems ground had in gen 8 were almost completely solved before home even released. So even after home releases, the access(or not) to gravity is not at all significant.

Last edited:
I remember seeing a post that Sloan muk is supposed to be getting drain punch according to a data leak. While it's not as reliable he was a tank with the assault vest setup anyway, coverage again steel is always good and the sheer number of dark Tues running around is good to smack.

I guess the biggest difference between overqwil and Sloan muk is do cha want to stop special or physical attackers. Overqwil has better support in spike variants and I want to see what will barrage is like since it looks like a fun move, but Sloan muk is a better coverage attacker and special walls tend to be more needed. Just depends on if glowking and clodshire are enough special wall to get by

A

boom still has stomping tantrum

Non-exhaustive list of the most relevant mons confirmed to be returning in DLC:

Normal::porygon2: :porygon-z: :smeargle:
Poison::weezing::weezing-galar:(?)
Water::kingdra: :swampert: :Crawdaunt: :empoleon: :araquanid::lanturn: :primarina:
Steel::skarmory: :duraludon::empoleon: :excadrill:
Fire::blaziken: :infernape:
Ground::gliscor: :excadrill: :mamoswine::Swampert:
Ice::mamoswine:
Electric::galvantula:
Grass::whimsicott:
Bug: :galvantula: :araquanid::ribombee::yanmega:
Dark::mandibuzz::crawdaunt:
Dragon::kommo-o: :duraludon:
Fighting: :blaziken: :infernape: :kommo-o: :conkeldurr:
Fairy: :clefable::whimsicott::ribombee: :primarina:
Flying: :skarmory: :mandibuzz:

Non-exhaustive list of the most relevant mons confirmed to be returning in Home:

Normal: :ursaluna: :meloetta:
Poison: :sneasler::muk-alola::overqwil::qwilfish-hisui::slowking-galar:
Water: :volcanion::urshifu-rapid-strike::basculegion:
Steel: :heatran: :goodra-hisui:
Fire: :heatran: :volcanion:
Ground: :ursaluna: :landorus: :landorus-therian:
Ice: :glastrier:
Electric: :regieleki: :raichu-alola: :zapdos: :electrode-hisui: :thundurus:
Grass: :zarude: :lilligant-hisui::electrode-hisui:
Bug: :kleavor:
Dark: :zarude: :hoopa-unbound: :overqwil: :qwilfish-hisui: :moltres-galar: :muk-alola::samurott-hisui:
Dragon: :goodra-hisui:
Fighting: :urshifu: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :sneasler::lilligant-hisui: :zapdos-galar:
Fairy: :enamorus: :enamorus-therian:
Flying: :enamorus: :enamorus-therian::landorus: :landorus-therian: :thundurus-therian: :tornadus-therian: :moltres-galar: :zapdos: :zapdos-galar:
Rock: :arcanine-hisui::diancie: :kleavor:
Ghost: :spectrier::basculegion:
Psychic: :mew: :hoopa-unbound: :azelf: :braviary-hisui::slowking-galar:

Last edited:

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
:walking-wake: I love the new catgon, he helps so much for Dragon teams as he provides a good Chien Pao answer with a Choice Scarf set. Its also notable that he outspeeds most Dragons (only RM and Dragapult outspeed w/scarf), and has not so bad bulk [it lives Scarf Meow's Play Rough for instance, but you're better off preserving health to deal with the stinky weasel]. For Water teams, you can use Protosynthesis: Spe with a spread such as 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe, allowing you to use a Choice Specs set with Hydro Steam (which is great for cteaming Specs Scovillain). The only downside of this is that its kinda hard to fit for Water teams (currently Peli/Swift Swim/Gastro or Quag/Pex/Quack/Gren or Dozo/Gren/Pex/Azu or Tatsu/Quack/Gastro or Quag). The only downside of this is that it...oddly only knows Flamethrower and not Fire Blast, lacks Calm Mind (which would've made it borderline bonkers), and has ...quite a movepool.

EDIT: Choice Scarf Walking Wake w/ Speed Proto also has the ability to 6-0 Fire teams on Contact, watch at your own peril!
Walking Wake @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Hydro Steam / Dragon Pulse / Flamethrower
Walking Wake @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse / Flamethrower
- Hydro Steam
:iron-leaves: Is a decent asset for Psychic teams, sporting passable Speed and good offenses/coverage to use a Choice Scarf or Swords Dance set, but the moves it wants are kinda...a lot. Lots of coverage in Wild Charge, Close Combat, and Night Slash which lets it deal with Steels like Corviknight, Iron Treads, and Gholdengo, with Psyblade letting it cause pain for Ground / Water teams too. Trailblaze is funny if you can have space for it in Swords Dance sets, but as it is its a struggle to choose which 4 moves you want to use. Haven't tried it for Grass teams though...
252 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flutter Mane: 237-280 (94.4 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (can RK Flutt if Choice Scarf, at least)
252 Atk Virizion Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 284-336 (87.9 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (Its only really for a lure, nothing much else)

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Virizion Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 100 Def Corviknight: 445-525 (111.5 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Virizion Psyblade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 361-429 (118.7 - 141.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (I mean....)
Iron Leaves @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade / Wild Charge / Trailblaze
- Psyblade / Trailblaze / Night Slash
- Close Combat / Trailblaze
Iron Leaves @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge / Brick Break
- Leaf Blade
- Psyblade
- Close Combat

Also, dont forget to run Dpulse for H.Zoro :c

Last edited:

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Aight bros thread has been ded for liek a century now so im reviving it how u guys been handling the threats in the meta?
Clodsire, Quagsire, Skeledirge, Ting-Lu, Toxapex, Dondozo, and Corviknight. The seven Paladins of monotype holding the tier together in dealing with the strongest threats like Flutter Mane, Chien-Pao, and Kingambit (sometimes).

Supported by their loyal retainers who Rapid Spin for them, such as Iron Treads, Quaquaval, and Glimmora, they will (hopefully) not fail in keeping the tier from descending to chaos that are known as sackfests. Heavy-Duty Boots are also worthy of praise, helping out Quagsire and Skeldirge who's retainers struggling to / can't remove entry hazards, allowing them to continue being the shield for their team.

Its truly the Unaware that makes for the best defense against those setup horrors...

Note: Obviously there's a lot more Defensive pivots, but by far the ones I mentioned are the premium ones. If desired I can make a more detailed post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)