Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
i know shed tail is strong, but cyclazar itself isnt that good. What's going on with all this cyclzar bad ban talk. It's not the best user of shed tail. That would go to Blissey. It only has a base 70 hp. I know you could just invest in hp. It's okay otherwise.

Blissey does not learn shed tail though?

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Wouldn’t a win rate below 50% imply it’s not a good mon? Because 50% is what you would expect from your average mon? If anything a 48.62 percent win rate implies it’s kind of bad
It’s got a win rate below 50% because a whole lot of people are using it and there are far more people in general who consistently lose than consistently win. If anything, the fact that the win rate is that high is a testament to how little skill it requires.

Unless I’m completely misunderstanding how the statistics work, which is probably the case because I stay as far away as I can from anything with a percent mark.

Last edited:
I understand that shed tail as a move is really good, like max hp invested either user is passing a 172 hp sub to anyone. But the mons themselves are good.

Wouldn’t a win rate below 50% imply it’s not a good mon? Because 50% is what you would expect from your average mon? If anything a 48.62 percent win rate implies it’s kind of bad
Fun Fact: Despite being the unequivocal best Pokemon in its Meta, GSC Snorlax can never break a 50% Win Rate because everyone uses it but only half of the players can win any given battle.

This is kind of a joke but also to illustrate (albeit in an extreme) that a near 50% Win-rate is significant if you have substantial usage, since the Pokemon likely appears on a lot of team and thus will incur losses by law of averages and potential shared matches. Getting above 50% entails the mon is used relatively infrequently but to extreme success by the users it does have, which given the usage based tiering and tendency of players to watch for new trends is an extremely rare set of circumstances.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I understand that shed tail as a move is really good, like max hp invested either user is passing a 172 hp sub to anyone. But the mons themselves are good.
Cyclizar’s not OU material without Cheater Tail, true, but it does get Regenerator, Rapid Spin, and Taunt, which probably gives it a solid niche in lower tiers. Something something role compression.

I’m personally tired of “The substitute took damage for the opposing Dragonite!”
Honestly I am too, but I doubt banning cyclizar stops the problem. People will just find ways to pass subs with orthworm if we were to ban Cyclizar because shed tail as a whole makes set up sweepers like Espathra, Quaquaval, Volcarona, and especially Dragonite into uncompetitive pokemon when they would otherwise be very fair without shed tail being a thing, my point being shed tail allows a lot of setup sweepers to become absolutely game ending outright all from a single sub pass from shed tail, and that is what makes it uncompetitive in my mind.

Is anyone else getting absolutely smoked on the ladder? Feels like singles has fundamentally changed with terastallizing and I'm finding it very difficult to adapt. Definitely an exciting and chaotic time to play.

Anyways, I've been messing around with Iron Hands on Electric Terrain and have had some success using this set:

Iron Hands @ Leftovers / Boots / Shuca Berry
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 184 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Wild Charge
- Swords Dance

Electric terrain support means that you free up your item slot, as you no longer need to run booster energy. You have a lot of good options, but I personally really like Shuca Berry as it means you can easily eat an Earthquake from Garchomp or Great Tusk and hit back. It also lets you comfortable Swords Dance on Ting-Lu. Terra fighting is better if you don't rock with a Shuca Berry since you remove your ground immunity. I also really like boots because hazards seem to be extremely strong this gen.

At +2 and with an Adamant Nature, you pretty much OHKO everything under electric terrain, so investing heavily in bulk is super helpful to live hits while setting up, or eating a hit and healing back with Drain Punch. The Speed EVs are to outspeed stuff like Blissey and other base 55 speed Pokemon and below.

Fun Fact: Despite being the unequivocal best Pokemon in its Meta, GSC Snorlax can never break a 50% Win Rate because everyone uses it but only half of the players can win any given battle.

This is kind of a joke but also to illustrate (albeit in an extreme) that a near 50% Win-rate is significant if you have substantial usage, since the Pokemon likely appears on a lot of team and thus will incur losses by law of averages and potential shared matches. Getting above 50% entails the mon is used relatively infrequently but to extreme success by the users it does have, which given the usage based tiering and tendency of players to watch for new trends is an extremely rare set of circumstances.
I understand what you're saying, but not sure if you represented it right. Once you see extremely high useage, being a couple percentage points above 50% or below 50% is more significant. Having a high use rate but a below 50% win rate would mean either that it's difficult to use but a lot of people are trying, or it's not as good as people think it is. High use rate and high win rate means that something is either very easy to use by an average player or it's just overpowered.

How good do you guys think :armarouge: armarouge and :ceruledge: ceruledge are? I've been looking here recently and saw that both had usage above the OU cutoff.

From my admittedly limited experience, these two aren't that threatening and frail, so I'm surprised they got a lot of usage.

Side note, I really like using Scizor right now! Priority is very useful in this metagame and Bullet Punch is great for revenge killing.
Haven't used ceruledge, used specs armarouge a little bit on the first day of the meta, but dropped it shortly after. It's too slow and gets outclassed by chi-yu imo

I think my main argument is that if you want to save pure stall there's a lot of things you'd have to fix. The fact that gamefreak massively changed the move pool on a lot of them is a big factor. Some of the new ones we got are some of the best walls ever.
This is a day 1 take if I’ve ever seen one. Hard stall is living large with the crazy new Unaware additions and hazards out the wazoo on mons that previously lacked utility (eg. Gastro & Quag). Sure, the recovery nerf sucks, as does Scald & Toxic distribution cuts, but you know what sucks a lot more? Broken offensive mons like Chi-Yu and Tera Annihilape existing. Stall struggles to function right now not because of the borderline-absurd ‘nerfs’ the playstyle received, but because we still haven’t removed all of the offensive brokemons from OU.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's your favorite Gholdengo set right now? I've seen lots of offensive and balance oriented sets around between Scarf, Specs, offensive NP, bulky NP, and supporter. I've currently trying out a specially defensive set as a glue to a Dondozo/Garganacl/Gholdengo defensive balance trio (with hazards Chomp, stallbreaking Chi-yu, and Band Dragapult):

Gholdengo @ Spell Tag
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Substitute
- Recover

What's your favorite Gholdengo set? What team styles have you been using it with?

How have people playing hyper offense been dealing with the unaware bros? I’ve been using a Gholdengo hazards stack hyper offense and climbed to the mid 1500s quickly but keep running into people who sometimes even have two unaware mons on their team. Tera fairy Skele is the hardest to deal with in my opinion so any tips would be appreciated

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I find myself using scarf with NP in the 4th slot a good amount right now on offenses, but Balloon NP Recover on any team that doesn’t need the speed

This is a day 1 take if I’ve ever seen one. Hard stall is living large with the crazy new Unaware additions and hazards out the wazoo on mons that previously lacked utility (eg. Gastro & Quag). Sure, the recovery nerf sucks, as does Scald & Toxic distribution cuts, but you know what sucks a lot more? Broken offensive mons like Chi-Yu and Tera Annihilape existing. Stall struggles to function right now not because of the borderline-absurd ‘nerfs’ the playstyle received, but because we still haven’t removed all of the offensive brokemons from OU.
Imagine for a moment that we had gen 8 blissey in the tier. Chi-yu would not even be in the discussion. Blissey would come in and either hit toxic or teleport and gain massive value. They would have 16 uses of softboiled so running out would be no issue. Alternatively, we could also have gen 7 tyranitar with pursuit. It would be able to come in on chi yu and gain massive chip damage every time.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
What's your favorite Gholdengo set right now? I've seen lots of offensive and balance oriented sets around between Scarf, Specs, offensive NP, bulky NP, and supporter. I've currently trying out a specially defensive set as a glue to a Dondozo/Garganacl/Gholdengo defensive balance trio (with hazards Chomp, stallbreaking Chi-yu, and Band Dragapult):

Gholdengo @ Spell Tag
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Substitute
- Recover

What's your favorite Gholdengo set? What team styles have you been using it with?
I've been using something similar but I like the power of Hex + Thunder Wave

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hex
- Make It Rain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Gholdengo @ Spell Tag
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Substitute
- Recover

big fan of standard issue defensive 252 /216+ / 44 Tera fairy with recover and nasty plot.

acts as a good switch in to valiant, surviving even a +2 knock off, and can take earthquakes from clodsire and some ting Lu, which gives it a good MU after forcing damage on some teams. Easily deals with Breloom lacking bulldoze and can 1v1 dragonite, chi pao and sometimes annihilape in a pinch. At the very least it can force out the water Tera type on the latter.

can take exactly 1 hit from most great tusk, and deal back good damage that tusk cannot recover. Whilst you have the option of switching out and recovering later on a non threat.

baits in chi yu, as most sets do.. so a switch in partner for the fire fish is essential, because this variant likes to switch in and out regularly.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been using something similar but I like the power of Hex + Thunder Wave

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hex
- Make It Rain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
I like this a lot, some speed control goes a long way to bolstering the effectiveness of a defensive pivot set.

big fan of standard issue defensive 252 /216+ / 44 Tera fairy with recover and nasty plot.

acts as a good switch in to valiant, surviving even a +2 knock off, and can take earthquakes from clodsire and some ting Lu, which gives it a good MU after forcing damage on some teams. Easily deals with Breloom lacking bulldoze and can 1v1 dragonite, chi pao and sometimes annihilape in a pinch. At the very least it can force out the water Tera type on the latter.

can take exactly 1 hit from most great tusk, and deal back good damage that tusk cannot recover. Whilst you have the option of switching out and recovering later on a non threat.

baits in chi yu, as most sets do.. so a switch in partner for the fire fish is essential, because this variant likes to switch in and out regularly.
Strong defensive chops, looks like a great stall mon. Seems like it covers similar bases to something like Dondozo though.
I find myself using scarf with NP in the 4th slot a good amount right now on offenses, but Balloon NP Recover on any team that doesn’t need the speed
TrickScarf yeah? Fast Ghost/Steel is definitely a hard coverage spread to feel safe switching into off that special attack stat.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hello everyone, Astroblastyt here, and I've decided to do something big
I've decided after long and hard thought... i will be remaking my doubles. ou team cuz it sucks
ok enough joking around time for the remade team
Combo 1: electric kush v2

View attachment 469876
electro hoe (Iron Hands) @ Clear Amulet
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch

nothing much changed with my buddy electro hoe but I decided room service is kinda worthless on an already very slow mon so I decided to make it clear amulet to avoid parting shot, intimidate, and. other moves that ruin the belly drum sweep.
View attachment 469882
chug jug (Meowscarada) @ Room Service
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Pollen Puff
- Trick Room
- Acrobatics
- Helping Hand

The chug jug is the exact same, if it ain't broke don't fix it

NOW FOR THE NEW COMBOS
Combo 2: THE BACKUP BIRDS

View attachment 469885
Bro bird (Flamigo) @ Ability Shield
Ability: Costar
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Wide Guard
- Low Kick
- U-turn

Now I realized that when or if meowscarda fucking dies we need emergency support, that's where the amigo bro flamigo comes in, just simply switch out of chug jug, and BOOM you have a 4x atk flamingo
also, the ability shield may seem like an odd pick, but. grafariai and slaking are EVERYWHERE and i dont wanna risk giving costar to slaking
View attachment 469891
back up (Espathra) @ Mirror Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Helping Hand
- Lumina Crash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball

now trick room and iron hands arent guaranteed to work all the time, so as a back up i decided to add flamigo and the 2nd bird bro: esparthra
if or when iron hands die, switch into espartha i honestly cant say anything else

FINAL COMBO:
THE POWER OF THE SUN

View attachment 469892
turtle. (Torkoal) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Eruption
- Flare Blitz
- Flamethrower

hes torkal, enough said

View attachment 469894

Phantom (Flutter Mane) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Helping Hand

life orb flutter mane enough said

thank you for reading
pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/2e87bc2e7f274c2d
This is a subforum for singles! I’d try the Doubles subforum for posts like this

Reactions: TPP
Imagine for a moment that we had gen 8 blissey in the tier. Chi-yu would not even be in the discussion. Blissey would come in and either hit toxic or teleport and gain massive value. They would have 16 uses of softboiled so running out would be no issue. Alternatively, we could also have gen 7 tyranitar with pursuit. It would be able to come in on chi yu and gain massive chip damage every time.
Chi-Yu resists Pursuit and Blissey being the only counter to a special mon does not make it balanced. What are you on about?

Chi-Yu resists Pursuit and Blissey being the only counter to a special mon does not make it balanced. What are you on about?
It would still take about 30% from pursuit every time it switches out(which it would have to do if a tyranitar switches in). This makes tyranitar a much better switch in that would see more play.

As far as blissey, my point is that gen 8 blissey is literally a much stronger pokemon than gen 9 blissey. If it had its old move set it would be seeing much higher useage. Chi-yu would dramatically drop in useage. The point is that older mons that were useful for stall getting their movesets nerfed does matter a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)