Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tera Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch

Did some experimenting on ladder with this thing and I've been having some decent success with it. Both variations are meant to work as wallbreakers that are able to break past the Clodsire + Dondozo core that seems to be growing more common, while also being able to shred Chi-Yu (if both are specs, scarfed, or Chi-Yu has specs and Sand has Scarf, then Sand beats it). Neither walls are able to kill it if Sand is brought in safely, and it also tears apart non-air balloon Gholdengo and uninvested SpeDef Kingambit with Earth Power, Corviknight and every viable water type bar Quagsire with Thunderbolt, and threatens 2hkos on many other mons. The tera type I use with it is Ice since that'll let it beat pokemon such as non-scarfed Great Tusk, Roaring Moon (although it has to be at full health to survive a hit from the Choice Band set), and makes Breloom not a safe switch-in. 101 Speed lets it troll base 100 mons, but being just short of Garchomp bar the Scarf is a bummer. 85/97/85 bulk is not horrible for a wallbreaker either, and it allows it to take a stray hit in a pinch, or multiple if the move's resisted thanks to Electric/Ground granting it an immunity to electric (and thus, volt switch) and some nice resistances to Rock, Steel, and Flying. However, weaknesses to Ice, Water, Grass, and Ground is a bummer since those are common types, so it likes teammates that could take the hits better and help it get in, such as Corviknight and Cyclizar. Teammates that can also handle pokemon such as Chien-Pao also help Sand greatly, as while Tera Ice lets it take ice shards better, it dies right after to sacred sword. Speaking of terastallizing, I only go Ice to give it unresisted coverage and make it hard to switch into (being a wallbreaker and all), but other types such as water for better defensive typing while still beating many of the ground types listed above, and grass to beat Rotom-W and Quagsire I believe could also work as well (haven't tested it yet personally). I'll put calcs below, but I do think Sandy Shocks is being slept on rn. If anyone wants to add to the discussion and fill me in on stuff I might've missed, feel free to do so. I only started playing this meta recently, so I'm still learning myself. :)

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Tera Blast (Ice) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roaring Moon: 372-438 (105.9 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Tera Blast (Ice) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roaring Moon: 246-290 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl: 324-384 (80.1 - 95%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl: 218-258 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 302-356 (65 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 204-240 (43.9 - 51.7%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Dondozo: 288-340 (57.1 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 264-312 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 434-512 (108.5 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 290-344 (72.5 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Kingambit: 476-564 (117.8 - 139.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Kingambit: 320-378 (79.2 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Gholdengo: 236-278 (62.4 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Gholdengo: 354-416 (93.6 - 110%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chi-Yu: 356-422 (141.8 - 168.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chi-Yu: 240-284 (95.6 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Sandy Shocks @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Tera Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch

Did some experimenting on ladder with this thing and I've been having some decent success with it. Both variations are meant to work as wallbreakers that are able to break past the Clodsire + Dondozo core that seems to be growing more common, while also being able to shred Chi-Yu (if both are specs, scarfed, or Chi-Yu has specs and Sand has Scarf, then Sand beats it). Neither walls are able to kill it if Sand is brought in safely, and it also tears apart non-air balloon Gholdengo and uninvested SpeDef Kingambit with Earth Power, Corviknight and every viable water type bar Quagsire with Thunderbolt, and threatens 2hkos on many other mons. The tera type I use with it is Ice since that'll let it beat pokemon such as non-scarfed Great Tusk, Roaring Moon (although it has to be at full health to survive a hit from the Choice Band set), and makes Breloom not a safe switch-in. 101 Speed lets it troll base 100 mons, but being just short of Garchomp bar the Scarf is a bummer. 85/97/85 bulk is not horrible for a wallbreaker either, and it allows it to take a stray hit in a pinch, or multiple if the move's resisted thanks to Electric/Ground granting it an immunity to electric (and thus, volt switch) and some nice resistances to Rock, Steel, and Flying. However, weaknesses to Ice, Water, Grass, and Ground is a bummer since those are common types, so it likes teammates that could take the hits better and help it get in, such as Corviknight and Cyclizar. Teammates that can also handle pokemon such as Chien-Pao also help Sand greatly, as while Tera Ice lets it take ice shards better, it dies right after to sacred sword. Speaking of terastallizing, I only go Ice to give it unresisted coverage and make it hard to switch into (being a wallbreaker and all), but other types such as water for better defensive typing while still beating many of the ground types listed above, and grass to beat Rotom-W and Quagsire I believe could also work as well (haven't tested it yet personally). I'll put calcs below, but I do think Sandy Shocks is being slept on rn. If anyone wants to add to the discussion and fill me in on stuff I might've missed, feel free to do so. I only started playing this meta recently, so I'm still learning myself. :)

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Tera Blast (Ice) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roaring Moon: 372-438 (105.9 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Tera Blast (Ice) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roaring Moon: 246-290 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl: 324-384 (80.1 - 95%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl: 218-258 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 302-356 (65 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 204-240 (43.9 - 51.7%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Dondozo: 288-340 (57.1 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 264-312 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 434-512 (108.5 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 290-344 (72.5 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Kingambit: 476-564 (117.8 - 139.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Kingambit: 320-378 (79.2 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Gholdengo: 236-278 (62.4 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Gholdengo: 354-416 (93.6 - 110%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chi-Yu: 356-422 (141.8 - 168.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Sandy Shocks Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chi-Yu: 240-284 (95.6 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
I'm glad pivot specs sshocks is getting the attention it deserves.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Sandy Shocks @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Tera Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
I feel like this Sandy Shocks set would really turn up with Sun support so you can run Specs while effectively still having Scarf. You’d have to invest a tiny bit less in Sp. Atk so you could get the Speed boost instead of Sp. Atk, though, since Proto Speed + Specs is more effective than Proto Sp. Atk + Scarf. Putting it down to 208 EVs in Sp. Atk gets it one point under Speed. I wonder if investing that in Defense or HP would change any important KO calcs…

I feel like this Sandy Shocks set would really turn up with Sun support so you can run Specs while effectively still having Scarf. You’d have to invest a tiny bit less in Sp. Atk so you could get the Speed boost instead of Sp. Atk, though, since Proto Speed + Specs is more effective than Proto Sp. Atk + Scarf. Putting it down to 208 EVs in Sp. Atk gets it one point under Speed. I wonder if investing that in Defense or HP would change any important KO calcs…
Ill just have to try that idea next time I enter the team builder. Extra HP would be really nice for it’s longevity as well!

Also additional note, I believe this Sand set has a great matchup against sun itself from my experiences, although I have yet to see who’s all used on that style besides Torkoal and the past paradox mons.

Thoughts on Chi-yu? Specs is a little ridiculous imo-the only real switch ins are Blissey T-tar and maybe Sylveon.
It's obviously really powerful, but I did find some really dumb tech that counters it. Thick fat assault vest hariyama. It resists dark and fire due to thick fat, and it also can resist chien pao. Not sure if it's actually worth running hairyama but there's so many dark types in the tier that it could be worth using on some teams. It takes like 10% from one flame thrower and can heal from drain punch.

Other than that, setting up light screen and getting your own chi-yu in is pretty good. I think if you don't have blissey, sylveon, or scream tail you really have to set up screens. Also, ting-lu is a good switch in if they use a dark attack.

Also, tyranitar. Basically chi-yu can't get through it at all without tera.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Also additional note, I believe this Sand set has a great matchup against sun itself from my experiences, although I have yet to see who’s all used on that style besides Torkoal and the past paradox mons.
Specs Chi-Yu is straight-up unwallable on Sun teams. It almost always 2HKOs Blissey with Fire Blast (but not Overheat) if it’s Modest and if it Teras into Fire an Overheat can OHKO; the literal only things that can actually switch into it are Pelipper and Tyranitar since everything with Flash Fire is either unviable, weak to Dark, or both. (Oh, and Pelipper can only switch in on Fire moves; it still dies to Dark Pulse.) I’ve also seen people use Scovillain, being the first Fire-type to ever get Chlorophyll. It’s frail and its attacking stats aren’t exactly the best, but Sun-boosted Fire Blast + Solar Beam is pretty wacky when you outspeed everything except Scarf Dragapult. Bitter Blade Ceruledge is also nice. Old mons like Rotom-Heat and Volcarona can also continue doing their thing.

Last edited:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Thoughts on Chi-yu? Specs is a little ridiculous imo-the only real switch ins are Blissey T-tar and maybe Sylveon.
Scarf good, Specs good, Boots are kind of whatever for me, i know SR immunity good in golden man meta, but its kind of the worst of both worlds compared to choice sets. I run Tera Dark, but sometimes I see Tera Fairy.

Chinese fish calcs

252 SpA Choice Specs Chi - Yu Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Clodsire: 238-282 (51.2 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Chi - Yu Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 285-336 (56.5 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not bad for the 2 most common walls atm and it acts as bait for both.

Tera grass also ruins both.

It's speed and hazards hold it back from being absurdly ridiculous but really, it probs needs banning alongside Shed Tail and Grim

EDIT: it also ruins assault vest iron hands which seems super bulky when I play against it.

252 SpA Choice Specs Chi - Yu Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 220-259 (42.9 - 50.5%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO

I also don't know why you'd run fully defence iron hands either but yeah.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
The real question regarding lava fish is this. Flamethrower or Fire Blast? Assume the other moves are Dark Pulse, Overheat and Psychic/Tera Blsast.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
The real question regarding lava fish is this. Flamethrower or Fire Blast? Assume the other moves are Dark Pulse, Overheat and Psychic/Tera Blsast.
I run Flamethrower/Overheat/Fire Blast/Dark Pulse and just go Tera Fire. After the sun goes up, “it’s not very effective” is just flavor text.

Scarf good, Specs good, Boots are kind of whatever for me, i know SR immunity good in golden man meta, but its kind of the worst of both worlds compared to choice sets. I run Tera Dark, but sometimes I see Tera Fairy.
imo tera fighting is pretty effective as well because it will oneshot tyranitar and can prevent blissey from trying to wall you

I run Flamethrower on it, cba miss chance with fire blast and you're 2 hitting almost everything anyway.

Just remember we’re all on the same team here — we just want to have fun and make the metagame the best possible. No need for anyone to be rude
wow, tryna protect stall users now huh???

Really hard to play around, forces me to defensive tera most of the time, which i don't mind on Slowking.

I'm fine with it around, but i cannot deny that the pressure on team preview is there, it literally reminds me of Volc in that regard

Things to be suspected (Besides Terastilizing)

E25C8244-A3F9-47ED-8EC2-2B7CE0DDFB5C.jpeg

String Cheese Man gotta go, and I am not saying that just cause of Good as Gold, its also the fact that this thing has Magearna levels of SpA with a typing with even less resistances and with 84 sped. Name a single thing that can switch in safely versus it?

If you said Chi-Yu, good guess but you are wrong. This shit can’t switch in repeatedly and is nuked out the wazzoo by Focus Miss. Invalidating Defog and having the capacity to beat most defoggers, even Great Tusk makes games just “who can get hazards the quickest. The hazard/hazard removal game is nuanced, and has been since the introduction of Spikes, but Ghold invalidates most of that interaction by simply existing. Ghold is problematic with or without tera, Terastilizing just amps up its bullshit even further. Spikes and hazards will still be good without it, its just that now you don’t have to extreme measures to remove them like Oricorio or running a spinner that can lose the 1v1 if it isn’t max speed jolly. Gholdengo should be the main priority of suspect testing later down the line.

87DF0929-5266-4165-9C0D-5C9E939400D0.jpeg

Weavile was already bordering into broken territory. Then we got a better version of it with higher speed and a broken ass ability. I think its a bit problematic, but its because of the lack of Buzzwole, Ferrothorn, Clefable, and Heatran that kept Weav in check before. If it get banned (which is a plausible outcome) then we should re-suspect it when Home comes and introduces many old gen tier staples and some PLA mons. The main thing balancing it rn is that it mostly uses Boots because of the plethora of hazards running a muk

61856209-5126-4F11-9245-E551592BC4DC.jpeg

This fish has been stirring up a storm lately. Its Lele but with an ability that reduces everyone’s SpD by 25%, a better offensive typing + 100 speed, and Nasty Plot. With the meta slowly starting to settle down after the new toy syndrome hype and the bans of four oppressive threats, I think it is time to find some counterplay to determine if Chi-Yu should be banned or not.

So here is a guide on how to combat the fish.

Checks

65DD5D92-9967-44E4-B592-38FF2D0B3B87.jpeg

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Flying/Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Tera Blast

Resists both stabs and moreso under sand. Ttar is still Ttar, and it comes packing with the same fire power it has since its introduction. It also has some utility as a Pult check. Tera Flying takes Breloom and Great Tusks while Tera Rock makes its Stone Edges absolute nukes or gives it accurate Rock type STAB.

8D65CB0C-ED46-44FE-9E6D-FB804EFF7175.jpeg

Roaring Moon @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Roost
- Taunt
- U-turn

While Roaring Moon is intended to be an offensive powerhouse, it has 105/71/101 defenses, Roost, Taunt, and U-Turn. It resists both STABs, outspeeds it easily, and has reliable recovery. Even with Crunch as its primary attacking move it still does a big chunk to Chi-Yu’s lackluster physical bulk. It also has Taunt to shutdown Nasty Plot. On its own it can shutdown fatmons like Dondonzo with Taunt, pivot with U-Turn, halts hazards from Glimmora, and check the ghosts with Tera Dark. People should explore the defensive side of Roaring Moon as its potential is there.

9871F540-EFE5-4A04-B2CF-8650D4B37F0C.jpeg

Dachsbun @ Leftovers
Ability: Well-Baked Body
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Yawn

Without Clef, the title for defensive fairy is left wide open. Dachsbun has some interesting potential as not only a fairy/wish passer, but also a fire immunity. Making it another potential Chi-Yu check. Wishpassing is invaluable in a meta full of hazards. Yawn scares out setup mons. Main issue is its reliance on wish to recover and its passivity.

Limiting its switch ins

Blacephalon was a pain for many builds, its STABs were mostly unresisted and its checks were limited to a couple of mons, but many teams had ways of limiting switch ins via rocks. Assuming Chi-Yu isn’t running Boots, Rocks are a great way to limit its switch in opportunities.

Faster mons/Priority

Another obvious one. Its base 100 speed is still outrun by Garchomp, Iron Valiant, Pult, and more. There is alot of priority going around and it just so happens to be weak to Mach Punch and Aqua Jet. Even priority it resists can still knock it out at under half health cause of its fraility.

Overall, I think the meta has a long way to go since it is a few weeks old, but come January and we might have a more fleshed out meta.

Specs Chi-Yu is straight-up unwallable on Sun teams. It almost always 2HKOs Blissey with Fire Blast (but not Overheat) if it’s Modest and if it Teras into Fire an Overheat can OHKO; the literal only things that can actually switch into it are Pelipper and Tyranitar since everything with Flash Fire is either unviable, weak to Dark, or both. (Oh, and Pelipper can only switch in on Fire moves; it still dies to Dark Pulse.) I’ve also seen people use Scovillain, being the first Fire-type to ever get Chlorophyll. It’s frail and its attacking stats aren’t exactly the best, but Sun-boosted Fire Blast + Solar Beam is pretty wacky when you outspeed everything except Scarf Dragapult. Bitter Blade Ceruledge is also nice. Old mons like Rotom-Heat and Volcarona can also continue doing their thing.
Good to know, thanks!

Did some theorycrafting on that potential sun team idea with Sandy Shocks and I think Tera Grass would be better than Ice here since youll hit pretty much everything neutrally bar Bugs and other Grass types, which you can easily fix via pairing with Corviknight and Chi-Yu. I feel like just those four alone (forgor to mention Torkoal) would be solid, then the last two mons can be whatever’s needed or listed in your post.

Things to be suspected (Besides Terastilizing)

View attachment 469026
String Cheese Man gotta go, and I am not saying that just cause of Good as Gold, its also the fact that this thing has Magearna levels of SpA with a typing with even less resistances and with 84 sped. Name a single thing that can switch in safely versus it?

If you said Chi-Yu, good guess but you are wrong. This shit can’t switch in repeatedly and is nuked out the wazzoo by Focus Miss. Invalidating Defog and having the capacity to beat most defoggers, even Great Tusk makes games just “who can get hazards the quickest. The hazard/hazard removal game is nuanced, and has been since the introduction of Spikes, but Ghold invalidates most of that interaction by simply existing. Ghold is problematic with or without tera, Terastilizing just amps up its bullshit even further. Spikes and hazards will still be good without it, its just that now you don’t have to extreme measures to remove them like Oricorio or running a spinner that can lose the 1v1 if it isn’t max speed jolly. Gholdengo should be the main priority of suspect testing later down the line.

View attachment 469087
Weavile was already bordering into broken territory. Then we got a better version of it with higher speed and a broken ass ability. I think its a bit problematic, but its because of the lack of Buzzwole, Ferrothorn, Clefable, and Heatran that kept Weav in check before. If it get banned (which is a plausible outcome) then we should re-suspect it when Home comes and introduces many old gen tier staples and some PLA mons. The main thing balancing it rn is that it mostly uses Boots because of the plethora of hazards running a muk

View attachment 469099
This fish has been stirring up a storm lately. Its Lele but with an ability that reduces everyone’s SpD by 25%, a better offensive typing + 100 speed, and Nasty Plot. With the meta slowly starting to settle down after the new toy syndrome hype and the bans of four oppressive threats, I think it is time to find some counterplay to determine if Chi-Yu should be banned or not.

So here is a guide on how to combat the fish.

Checks

View attachment 469107

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Flying/Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Tera Blast

Resists both stabs and moreso under sand. Ttar is still Ttar, and it comes packing with the same fire power it has since its introduction. It also has some utility as a Pult check. Tera Flying takes Breloom and Great Tusks while Tera Rock makes its Stone Edges absolute nukes or gives it accurate Rock type STAB.

View attachment 469145
Roaring Moon @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Roost
- Taunt
- U-turn

While Roaring Moon is intended to be an offensive powerhouse, it has 105/71/101 defenses, Roost, Taunt, and U-Turn. It resists both STABs, outspeeds it easily, and has reliable recovery. Even with Crunch as its primary attacking move it still does a big chunk to Chi-Yu’s lackluster physical bulk. It also has Taunt to shutdown Nasty Plot. On its own it can shutdown fatmons like Dondonzo with Taunt, pivot with U-Turn, halts hazards from Glimmora, and check the ghosts with Tera Dark. People should explore the defensive side of Roaring Moon as its potential is there.

View attachment 469159
Dachsbun @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Yawn

Without Clef, the title for defensive fairy is left wide open. Dachsbun has some interesting potential as not only a fairy/wish passer, but also a fire immunity. Making it another potential Chi-Yu check. Wishpassing is invaluable in a meta full of hazards. Yawn scares out setup mons. Main issue is its reliance on wish to recover and its passivity.

Limiting its switch ins

Blacephalon was a pain for many builds, its STABs were mostly unresisted and its checks were limited to a couple of mons, but many teams had ways of limiting switch ins via rocks. Assuming Chi-Yu isn’t running Boots, Rocks are a great way to limit its switch in opportunities.

Faster mons/Priority

Another obvious one. Its base 100 speed is still outrun by Garchomp, Iron Valiant, Pult, and more. There is alot of priority going around and it just so happens to be weak to Mach Punch and Aqua Jet. Even priority it resists can still knock it out at under half health cause of its fraility.

Overall, I think the meta has a long way to go since it is a few weeks old, but come January and we might have a more fleshed out meta.
Overall good post, but you can get higher stats on roaring moon with jolly nature, 104 in speed, and 152 in special def. This gives you the same speed but 6 more special defense. These were good suggestions though.

View attachment 469159
Dachsbun @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Yawn

I've used this on my monotype fairy team and it's like, okay? I wish it had better HP since its base HP is so miserable it can't pass strong wishes. But it has a small niche with its ability. I tend to run Body Press on it though. Takes advantage of its physical defense.

Also forgot to mention, appletun walls chi-yu. Not sure if there is a niche for it or not.

252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Appletun: 168-198 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Appletun: 136-162 (32.1 - 38.2%) -- 1.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

People need to look at mons that have thick fat more as an ability imo, a lot of them have potential.

Also forgot to mention, appletun walls chi-yu. Not sure if there is a niche for it or not.

252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Appletun: 168-198 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Appletun: 136-162 (32.1 - 38.2%) -- 1.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

People need to look at mons that have thick fat more as an ability imo, a lot of them have potential.
A: this doesn't factor in beads of ruin
B: hazard damage puts this into 2hko range dangerously quickly
C: okay you've switched in, now what? one dark pulse flinch and you're dead, and you can only spam recover for so long
this is barely a check, let alone a wall to chi-yu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)