Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question; Seen a lot of ppl talking about this recently, what's the big deal about it?
It’s a move intended to have 1 PP because of how impactful it is, and leaving it up to Sleep Talk rolls to potentially get this bonus 10+ more times seems uncompetitive since it’s a combination of an extremely overbearing effect combined with a 33% chance each roll.

No comment on whether the move by itself is busted in its own right since we haven’t seen enough of it.

Also to respond to Finch, those are all Pokémon bans, not a move. I get the general point though, but unless you are suggesting we ban the two users of Revival Blessing instead of the move I think it’s a complex ban regardless to ban a move and not a Pokémon. So it’s complex either way, but the move is probably getting axed anyways so I guess who cares.

1. Mon you didnt expect to see in OU
To me, its pex, I only saw ONE pex, and only came out at the end of the game
Espeon. I thought I would be the only one running it with my jank Trick Room lead set that I couldn't actually lead in half my games. But no, a few other people actually managed to fit Espeon on their team to varying degrees of success. I think people are looking for answers to Gholdengo hazard stack. They were also probably running a less ridiculous set than I was.

2. Since Great Tusk act IV is the most used mon outside or banned mons, whats your favorite set to run with him
I already posted my trademarked AV tusk
I love AV Tusk. I had a rapid spinner that was max defense with Body Press. Great Tusk is so good.

3. Mon that is gonna keep rising in usage in your opinion
Cyclizar, HO is gonna unironically reinvent the wheel in order to keep the lizard alive
Breloom is just really strong right now. A good deal of the non-Ghost tier is just flat out beat by Choice Band Mach Punch. But you also have to account for the Bullet Seed centric set and the Focus Sash Spore set. It's even a decent anti-lead against some teams and it just wrecks Cyclizar.

Talonflame probably should get more usage, but I honestly don't know if it's goin to happen.

4. Mon that is gonna keep declining in usage in your opinion
Outside of ditto, my guess would be Iron Moth, I think Iron hands has insane potential in trick room but i dont know how to make trickroom so i dont know
Kilowattrel. I tested Jolteon and it's a better fast Volt Switcher overall, though still pretty mid. Kilowattrel is really only better in rain teams for Hurricane STAB + Weather Ball or very niche specialized Tailwind teams that really seem to not be worth the trouble. And I honestly think Talonflame is a better rain attacker.

I've also found Arboliva is also just very underwhelming compared to a lot of options. I had a recent comment complaining about it having more limited options than it should, so I'll save it for now. I just think there are better grass types and it's also hard to have a special wall that is weak to Chi-Yu. It makes me sad, but I don't expect it to remain in OU for too much longer.

also fun fact pelipper is in UU lmaooooo rain taking the biggest L
I've tested Pelipper and it's actually still pretty good. The only issue I have with it comes with no Defog. Rain teams in general are being highly underutilized right now. Once people figure out how to better optimize rain teams, you'll see more Pelipper. But they are gonna have to embrace priority more over Swift Swim to get the most out of it.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
This is a day 1 take if I’ve ever seen one. Hard stall is living large with the crazy new Unaware additions and hazards out the wazoo on mons that previously lacked utility (eg. Gastro & Quag). Sure, the recovery nerf sucks, as does Scald & Toxic distribution cuts, but you know what sucks a lot more? Broken offensive mons like Chi-Yu and Tera Annihilape existing. Stall struggles to function right now not because of the borderline-absurd ‘nerfs’ the playstyle received, but because we still haven’t removed all of the offensive brokemons from OU.
How is it both living large and struggling to function?

Okay lads, make some discussion with questions (mainly because i want replys)

1. Mon you didnt expect to see in OU
To me, its pex, I only saw ONE pex, and only came out at the end of the game

2. Since Great Tusk act IV is the most used mon outside or banned mons, whats your favorite set to run with him
I already posted my trademarked AV tusk

3. Mon that is gonna keep rising in usage in your opinion
Cyclizar, HO is gonna unironically reinvent the wheel in order to keep the lizard alive

4. Mon that is gonna keep declining in usage in your opinion
Outside of ditto, my guess would be Iron Moth, I think Iron hands has insane potential in trick room but i dont know how to make trickroom so i dont know

also fun fact pelipper is in UU lmaooooo rain taking the biggest L
Rain took the L because Iron Bundle shat on the entire playstyle. It was very difficult to build a rain team that didn't have to sack a Pokémon just for the luxury of revenge killing it

It’s a move intended to have 1 PP because of how impactful it is, and leaving it up to Sleep Talk rolls to potentially get this bonus 10+ more times seems uncompetitive since it’s a combination of an extremely overbearing effect combined with a 33% chance each roll.

No comment on whether the move by itself is busted in its own right since we haven’t seen enough of it.

Also to respond to Finch, those are all Pokémon bans, not a move. I get the general point though, but unless you are suggesting we ban the two users of Revival Blessing instead of the move I think it’s a complex ban regardless to ban a move and not a Pokémon. So it’s complex either way, but the move is probably getting axed anyways so I guess who cares.
Ohh, also just read my other reply, didn't know the move did that

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Can we complex quickban Espathra + Stored Power on its moveset until we figure out if Espathra alone is problematic enough to ban
Can we complex quickban Rage Fist + Annihilape until we figure out if Annihilape alone is problematic enough to ban
Can we complex quickban Blaziken + Speed Boost on the same moveset until we figure out if Blaziken alone is problematic enough to ban

I hope you see why we cannot do this.
hey finch, agree with the main point, but is there a way to temporarily quickban Sleep Talk + Revival Blessing currently? The combination of moves is bugged. Essentially, if you click Sleep Talk and it calls Revival Blessing, the game forces you to click on a living mon, and once you do so, it locks in your move and doesn't progress.

It's kinda wack because sleep talk can be used on a move even if the move is out of pp. So you can keep spamming rest + sleep talk in theory to get as many uses of it as possible.
also for example bringing back a pokemon with rengerator ahem *cyclizar* means it can regain its health also the revived pokemon keeps its item ahem *light clay grimsnarl so the poke not being at full heatlh doesmt really matter

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Banning a move is not a complex ban at all. We have plenty of moves outright banned that are not complex bans. Baton Bass is banned outright this generation and it is very simple, for example.

I am happy to ban moves that meet the threshold for being banned!
hey finch, agree with the main point, but is there a way to temporarily quickban Sleep Talk + Revival Blessing currently? The combination of moves is bugged. Essentially, if you click Sleep Talk and it calls Revival Blessing, the game forces you to click on a living mon, and once you do so, it locks in your move and doesn't progress.
It will be fixed in the near future and then we will act in accordance with what is best with our metagame from there.

Banning a move is not a complex ban at all. We have plenty of moves outright banned that are not complex bans. Baton Bass is banned outright this generation and it is very simple, for example.

I am happy to ban moves that meet the threshold for being banned!
I'm curious about you're opinion on dry passing rn. Is baton pass even worth keeping banned rn or is it just a precautionary "there's enough bullshit atm" move to keep it banned based on history?

Mostly dry passing, as we did at one point attempt complex bans like baton pass on only 1 mon or only 1 boost per pass. Dry passing imo is no different than allowing u-turn/teleport, one of those not being available.

Even the 'boost' ones the main culprits aren't in the game any time soon (scolipede, ninjask, smeargle, espeon is in but that was more of a support part of the chain.), so I'm just wondering why its considered uncompetitve even in the dry passing iteration.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Can we stop asking for the baton pass unban, its literally unpunishable U turn because its speed depends on the user + its no contact, its literally free, also, Clodsire is looking kinda nice given that people are gonna start spamming the rat

Is rabsca revival blessing really that problematic? is it revival breaking 2 mons or 1 mon breaking revival blessing?

Maybe i'm biased cause i think rabsca is a unique mon and something that makes trick room feel less like shit, while pawmot is universally a good abuser of it because it can square up to about anything with its movepool and gets the utility move with a good speed tier, but i just don't see banning revival over pawmot with such limited pool of users as the go-to yet.

Generally the move has to break everything and i don't see rabsca on an OU HO team being crazy, unlike arena trap where even trapinch was a huge problem.

Can we stop asking for the baton pass unban, its literally unpunishable U turn because its speed depends on the user + its no contact, its literally free, also, Clodsire is looking kinda nice given that people are gonna start spamming the rat
Dry passing is literally teleport from last gen, I still don't see the difference between not banning teleport and banning dry passing, something we actually were given an option to do back when the clauses were being brought up. Back then teleport was very on the fence, and i remember at one point pivoting moves in general were considered broken (and HDB), so baton pass being added would've made a potentially current problem worse. Well teleport isn't in the game rn, pursuit doesn't exist so the argument of getting past pursuit trappers that normally counter certain things isn't there, so idk what filling that void with dry pass would change. I just want to hear what the explanation for that decision is. RN there's more things to worry about frankly, but its not something i'd like to see ignored for another generation.

Is rabsca revival blessing really that problematic? is it revival breaking 2 mons or 1 mon breaking revival blessing?

Maybe i'm biased cause i think rabsca is a unique mon and something that makes trick room feel less like shit, while pawmot is universally a good abuser of it because it can square up to about anything with its movepool and gets the utility move with a good speed tier, but i just don't see banning revival over pawmot with such limited pool of users as the go-to yet.

Generally the move has to break everything and i don't see rabsca on an OU HO team being crazy, unlike arena trap where even trapinch was a huge problem.

Dry passing is literally teleport from last gen, I still don't see the difference between not banning teleport and banning dry passing, something we actually were given an option to do back when the clauses were being brought up. Back then teleport was very on the fence, and i remember at one point pivoting moves in general were considered broken (and HDB), so baton pass being added would've made a potentially current problem worse. Well teleport isn't in the game rn, pursuit doesn't exist so the argument of getting past pursuit trappers that normally counter certain things isn't there, so idk what filling that void with dry pass would change. I just want to hear what the explanation for that decision is. RN there's more things to worry about frankly, but its not something i'd like to see ignored for another generation.
lol i know this ia for ou but can eapathra be quicked banned from uu lol that thing is a menace and top tier threat in ou currently

It isn't at all teleport. The move had negative priority. They couldn't be more different. Also, drypassing will always be the most weirdest thing people want to argue for. You literally have to strip all possible elements to make it into drypass, and by that point... It isn't baton pass anymore. You've made a completely different move. Not to mention most relevant mons with BP have pivot moves already and would still use those first. The ones that don't are either niche or just not relevant at all. There is no reason to arbitrarily go to such lengths to preserve a move like this.

lol i know this ia for ou but can eapathra be quicked banned from uu lol that thing is a menace and top tier threat in ou currently
also I've been using my espathra set
as
bold 252 def 252 hp 4 spdef
tera FIRE leftovers
protect
calm mind
terablast
stored power
it DISMANTLES steels ala scizor goldengo corviknight the only relavnt stops to it are
tyranitar soaring moon the gold fish

It isn't at all teleport. The move had negative priority. They couldn't be more different. Also, drypassing will always be the most weirdest thing people want to argue for. You literally have to strip all possible elements to make it into drypass, and by that point... It isn't baton pass anymore. You've made a completely different move. Not to mention most relevant mons with BP have pivot moves already and would still use those first. The ones that don't are either niche or just not relevant at all. There is no reason to arbitrarily go to such lengths to preserve a move like this.
That's fair, actually missed the priority part damn.

That's what i wanted to read, thnx for clearing it up for me.

Wait, Heal Bell got axed? I didn’t hear anything about this.
It didn't get axed but it's an Egg Move on Chansey but no one else knows it and you can't catch one that knows it, so it's functionally impossible to get on cartridge until they either: a) release more mons with DLC or b) release a Chansey that does know it.
Until then it's the Gen IV Head Smash Nosepass all over again.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
It didn't get axed but it's an Egg Move on Chansey but no one else knows it and you can't catch one that knows it, so it's functionally impossible to get on cartridge until they either: a) release more mons with DLC or b) release a Chansey that does know it.
Until then it's the Gen IV Head Smash Nosepass all over again.
Ah, that makes more sense.

Anyway, when’s the Revival Blessing quickban? We cannot get this move out of the meta fast enough. We shouldn’t even be talking about Tera or Shed Tail right now, it’s that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 13)