With an unanimous 5-0 council vote, Walking Wake is up for a suspect test! Walking Wake is a fairly new introduction to the metagame but since has proven to be incredibly difficult to deal with. Choice Specs and Life Orb sets take use of this power to absolutely crush switch-ins, with Specs often opting for Dragon Energy to blow through Water-type resists- even Assault Vest Toxapex and Slowking can be 2HKOd. Water/Dragon Coverage is nearly perfect in the metagame as well, only failing to hit Azumarill neutrally, which can still fall to Water-type coverage regardless. This is used in conjunction with Sun typically, Walking Wake becomes super charged due to its Hydro Steam signature and Protosynthesis, which is used to boost either Speed or Special Attack. While Sun can be seen as a detriment due to Torkoal's poor qualities and the rise in Tyranitar and rain in the metagame, Walking Wake's impact has single handedly launched Sun into being a viable strategy. Even outside of sun, Choice Specs Walking Wake can be a huge threat, either on Rain or just on regular teams with Dragon Energy spam.
While Defensive counterplay is limited, plenty of Pokemon can tank a Dragon Energy and deal a decent chunk of damage back to neuter its power a bit, especially if Walking Wake is surprised by Fairy Tera from things like Garganacl, Slowking, Rotom formes, and Toxapex. Blissey, AV Slowking, and Toxapex all can be difficult for Walking Wake to play around, as well as Water-immune Pokemon such as Clodsire and Gastrodon. It's undeniable that with limited defensive counterplay, teams will likely opt to try for offensive tools such as faster revenge killers and priority to chunk Walking Wake down, which can be a bit challenging if it opts to boost Speed.
While Walking Wake is not completely fool proof and often relies on Sun to get full sweeps, it has already been a massive threat in the metagame and with unanimous support from the council we believe the community should decide if it should remain in the metagame or not.
How (Suspect Details):
During a Suspect test, each player must climb the ladder until they've acquired the GXE necessary to participate in the voting. Primarily, everyone that participates needs to make an alt account following these guidelines:
With that all of that being said, it's suspect time! As usual, the actual voting will take place in the Blind Voting Forum, so posting anything other than proof of reqs and discussion isn't necessary.
- Every game must be played on the official Pokemon Showdown! site and on a new account (creation date no earlier than today, March 8th) with "STABWW [Nick]"--for example, I could create one called "STABWW in the hills" to ladder with. Having the prefix at the beginning of your alt name is mandatory, AKA not in the middle (e.g. The STABWW Man) and not at the end (e.g. The STABWW).
- To qualify for voting, your alt must play a minimum of 25 games, and you must have a minimum GXE of 75.
- Walking Wake will be allowed on the ladder during the suspect.
- The suspect test will go for two weeks and end on Wednesday, March 22nd at 10:00 PM GMT -4.
- When posting proof of meeting reqs, feel free to use this thread as a means to disseminate topical opinions regarding whether or not Walking Wake should be banned (Optional)
- It is mandatory to provide proof of ownership of the alt account as well. (Post a picture of your reqs with your smogon name featured)
Tagging Kris for implementation