Resource Sword/Shield BSS Viability Rankings

The Vish survives another day. Yeah having it stay at B is solid cause some teams just straight up don’t have good checks or counters for Vish and they just makes the game tilted heavily towards the Vish’s favor.

Psynergy

Are we done here?
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Now that we have official confirmation, I want to clarify a few things about Pokemon HOME stuff. For anyone who is unaware, HOME changes very little for BSS at the moment, the only change is that previously unreleased abilities for past gen Pokemon are now legal (Unaware Clefable, Sturdy Avalugg, etc). Unreleased abilities for Galar Pokemon are still not available, for clarification, so still no Libero Cinderace or Sand Rush Dracozolt/Dracovish.

No new Pokemon or regional forms are allowed this season so they will not be ranked at the moment, but we now have confirmation that starting next season we will have access to Venusaur, Blastoise, Decidueye, Primarina, Incineroar, and regional forms. We are restricted to Pokemon caught or bred in Galar though, which means that Alolan Raichu and Kantonian Weezing still won't be allowed, since there is no way to evolve Pikachu or Koffing into these forms within the current game. This also bans all transfer-only moves, so things like Toxic Aegislash, Roost Togekiss, and Knock Off Conkeldurr are not relevant to this metagame.

These Pokemon additions will happen starting in Series 3, which begins on March 1st. We will be placing the new additions that we believe are viable in a "New Pokemon" rank with the next vote, and will not be properly placing them until after we see how they perform in the Series 3 metagame. Due to the nature of these additions they may be voted on separately before the end of Series 3, but that will not be until mid March at the earliest so don't expect to see Venusaur and friends properly ranked quite yet.

And that's it for now, hope this clarifies any questions about the HOME additions!

marilli

goodbye memories
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Rotom-H: A+-> A

Tyranitar is a big can of worms, so let's leave that for now.

ANYways, what isn't so controversial is Rotom-H A+ -> A. Only 2 councilmembers ranked it at exactly 7th, many ranked it 8th or below, which seems odd for a Pokemon that has "majority vote for significantly stronger than the 8th Pokemon, as one of the 7 Pokemon in S or A+"

Dracozolt, Lapras: B -> B+

I really like these Pokemon for what they do - difficult coverage to switch into, and has a very defined defensive niche in order to get the chance to do the damages it wants to do. It seems way better than something like Charizard, which is just another Airstream sweeper and doesnt really have that clear niche unless it has a full slot of team support for weather.

OR,

Umbreon, Charizard: B+ -> B

It just depends on where you want to cut off the Pokemon anyways, these seemed to be the weakest B+ Pokemon by a significant margin (Umbreon is also fairly significantly worse than Sylveon)

Sylveon: A- -> B+

Yawn being heavily prepped for, and Snorlax being the emergent special Dragon check with its AV set, hurts Sylveon's niche significantly. Not a nom I enjoy making, and I honestly still think Sylveon is A-, but I figured some would deem in appropriate because I seem to be in the minority here.

These would be the final changes I would be comfortable making for the current season. I brought all of this up internally amongst VR council. However, the new season is bound to significantly shake up the metagame with Home. It remains to see how exactly any of those will change.

What does everyone think of Lucario? It has seen more usage than Quagsire and a couple of B- rank Pokemon according to pokesol. (Also supporting Chandelure to be ranked.)

marilli

goodbye memories
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Lucario will always get more usage then it deserves because of a popular streamer spamming it. It really has no real reason to be used. Fighting type moves suck as STAB Max moves. As a fast Fighting, Hawlucha is better. As a fast Steel, Durant is better. It just basically uses Sash counter trying to be useful because it otherwise can't do a whole lot. It may be ranked at the bottom of C but honestly it doesn't make much a difference. It's not going above Quagsire on VR lol.

Chandelure being ranked is fine. B- or C would be fair.

What does everyone think of Lucario? It has seen more usage than Quagsire and a couple of B- rank Pokemon according to pokesol. (Also supporting Chandelure to be ranked.)
Its gotten a good amount of usage for its sash set and is decently good at what it does. Another mon I'd be in favor of putting in C.

Thought I would give a new slate of opinions since I haven't really given one since the last update.

S Rank

I'm not really sure what to do with S Rank ATM and the major issue is that Mimikyu is just so much better than Excadrill/Dragapult. It's slappable on every team, Curse + Trick Room has given it a new dimension as well as now more commonly seen techs such as Wood Hammer for Water/Grounds whilst also being another way to get momentum through killing yourself. For now, think just keep it at these three, but if there is a way to differentiate Mimikyu like having an SS Rank with just Mimikyu in it on its own that'd be fine with me.

A+ Rank

Snorlax -> A+

In my personal opinion Snorlax, Corviknight and Togekiss are the best three pokemon outside of the S pokemon and should be the three placed in A+. I previously put Snorlax as 7th behind Rotom-W but I think it's currently 6th place. It has the bulk, unpredictability and ability to be brought in the vast majority of matchups.

Other Comments:

I think Corviknight might eventually be dropped down due to it being somewhat unsuited to the fast meta played despite its clear strengths as well as the prevalence of Rotom on most teams, which dicks it over.

A Rank

I think all the current A rankers are worthy of being in A. Rough order of A imo is something like Rotom Formes, Gyara, Hydrei, TTar, Darm Galar in how good they are.

Two pokemon that I think are starting to hit this threshold are Aegislash and Hippowdon and these should be considered though I won't directly nominate them.

A- Rank

Im largely in agreement except two things:

Sylveon -> B+

Sylveon I just think has gotten a bit weaker now people have become better at playing around yawn with stuff like Lum Berry. It's kind of on the border of A- and B+. Rising competition from Clefable and Lapras as a Hydreigon check is a big thing and Lapras can hit Togekiss too.

Unsure also whether Rotom-C should be in this tier though I won't directly nominate it, it has a larger opportunity cost than most of these pokemon here merely because it means you can't use Rotom-W/H and it doesn't resist Max Airstream which means its far worse at checking Gyara/Togekiss or even BU Corviknight.

B Ranks:

Not gonna give justifications for these, but my thoughts

Currently B+

Charizard -> B
Umbreon -> B

Currently B

Dracozolt -> B+
Lapras -> B+
Haxorus -> B-

Currently B-

Type Null -> B
Clefable -> B
Glalie -> C

Last edited:

Psynergy

Are we done here?
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi, been awhile since the last vote but just in time for BSPL, the next round of voting is up. We gave this one some more time since the longer cart season gives us some more breathing room to account for the entirely new additions to the metagame after Pokemon Home. In this vote all of the VR Council voted except Charlotte, who has been incredibly busy as of late.

This time we did things a bit differently and simplified the process, at the cost of having detailed reasoning from everyone. I will still try to provide reasoning for more important or potentially controversial changes here, but if you feel like further reasoning is necessary for the others feel free to ask. Pretty much everything voted on was moved except for Sylveon, and there was not enough support for Lucario or Blastoise to rank them either, so unless you have a strong argument or there are very clear meta shifts suggesting otherwise we probably won't look at these ones again next vote. Below is a chart of everyone's votes, but the final changes are summarized at the bottom.

Smogon UsernameRotom-H: A+ -> ATyranitar: A+ -> ASnorlax: A -> A+Hippowdon: A- -> ASylveon: A- -> B+Dracozolt: B -> B+Lapras: B -> B+ or A-Umbreon: B+ -> BCharizard: B+ -> BHaxorus: B -> B-Glalie: B- -> CPrimarina: UR -> BCrawdaunt: UR -> CIncineroar: UR -> CVenusaur: UR -> CBlastoise: UR -> CLucario: UR -> CChandelure: UR -> C or B-
TheorymonDrop to AStay A+Rise to A+Rise to AStay A-Rise to B+Rise to B+Drop to BStay B+Drop to B-Drop to CRise to BRise to CRise to CRise to CRise to CStay URRise to C
marilliDrop to ADrop to ARise to A+Rise to AStay A-Rise to B+Rise to B+Drop to BDrop to BDrop to B-UnrankedRise to BRise to CRise to CabstainabstainabstainRise to B-
1_TrickPhonyDrop to ADrop to ARise to A+Rise to AabstainRise to B+Rise to A-Drop to BDrop to BDrop to B-Drop to CRise to B-Rise to CRise to CRise to CStay URRise to CRise to C
PsynergyDrop to ADrop to ARise to A+Rise to ADrop to B+Rise to B+Rise to B+Drop to BDrop to BDrop to B-Drop to CRise to BRise to CRise to CRise to CStay URStay URRise to C
Greilmercenary9Drop to ADrop to ARise to A+Rise to ADrop to B+Rise to B+Rise to A-Drop to BDrop to BStay BDrop to CRise to BRise to CRise to B-Stay URabstainStay URRise to C
DragonWhaleStay A+Drop to ARise to A+Rise to ADrop to B+Rise to B+Rise to A-Drop to BDrop to BStay BDrop to CRise to B-Rise to CRise to CRise to CRise to CStay URRise to C
cant sayStay A+Stay A+Rise to A+Rise to AStay A-Rise to B+Rise to B+Drop to BStay B+Stay BStay B-haven’t seen enough. don’t get what it does. C?Rise to CRise to CRise to CRise to CStay URRise to C
Final ResultDrop to ADrop to ARise to A+Rise to AStay A-Rise to B+Rise to B+Drop to BDrop to BDrop to B-Drop to CRise to BRise to CRise to CRise to CStay URStay URRise to C

Notable Changes:
Rotom-H and Tyranitar drop to A this time after not dropping the previous vote. Normally we don't want to be revisiting the same nominations until something changes, but further vote and internal discussion led to this change. Rotom-H regularly ranked well below the Top 5 in every VR Council member's ranking of the top 30 or so Pokemon (an effort organized by marilli), so the A+ ranking felt out of place for a lot of us. Meanwhile, most of us still believe Tyranitar is one of the more powerful Pokemon in the metagame, but a dip in usage and differing opinions on the top spots in the metagame resulted in more agreement in moving Tyranitar to A.

Snorlax rises to A+ taking the place of the aforementioned Rotom-H and Tyranitar in A+. This is another reason for the above change, Snorlax continues to prove itself as one of the best Pokemon in the metagame and as such it felt more appropriate to rank Snorlax among the fairly exclusive A+ rank. Due to its incredible bulk and powerful setup options, Snorlax is a major threat in the current metagame that many Pokemon struggle to deal with in an individual matchup. The lack of Fighting-types in the metagame outside of the occasional Conkeldurr also makes it difficult to have an easy answer to Snorlax, allowing it to smash through unprepared teams.

Hippowdon rise to A as it slowly rises to reclaim its place from Gen 7 as the premier Stealth Rock setter. While Stealth Rock setters remain limited in the metagame, Hippowdon is still the most reliable option to enable a sweep for a teammate. Very little about Hippowdon itself has changed aside from the addition of an offensive Trick Room set adding to its versatility. though the Stealth Rock set remains the primary selling point. It just took time for the metagame to develop to a point where it's clear that Hippowdon is still an amazing Pokemon, even if Dynamax mechanics make things tougher.

Among the new additions to the metagame, we ended up ranking Primarina, Incineroar, and Venusaur for now. Primarina is the most notable of the bunch at B rank while the other two are added among the C rank Pokemon. We may be overrating these or even underrating them, but these will definitely be revisited at the end of the season once we've seen further results with the new additions.

Summary:
Rotom-H drops from A+ to A
Tyranitar drops from A+ to A
Snorlax rises from A to A+
Hippowdon rises from A- to A
Dracozolt rises from B to B+
Lapras rises from B to B+
Umbreon drops from B+ to B
Charizard drops from B+ to B
Haxorus drops from B to B-
Glalie drops from B- to C
Primarina rises from UR to B
Crawdaunt rises from UR to C
Incineroar rises from UR to C
Venusaur rises from UR to C
Chandelure rises from UR to C

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)