Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

So, one thing that looks good that I haven’t seen mentioned: The interior zones seem really nice. Now, maybe that’s just the better camera angles, but I can definitely see myself really liking how places look in this one.

And yeah, gyms are back. I knew they would be, I just hope GF actually learns from the island challenges and makes the new gyms more interesting than ‘trainer gauntlet+basic puzzle’.

I can safely assume everyone who had weird fears about Let's Go horribly destroying the core series can finally rest in peace, the game looks in everything perfectly comparable to the core games we're used to, from encounters to battle to following and improving SM/USUM graphics.
Not sure why those fears are "weird", and even more unsure why those people can finally die...

These games began development before those trash games we won't mention, so it's not really a surprise they didn't take any of the bad aspects of those games into this one.

Twin wolf legends could be loosely based on Romulus and Remus.

Normally I am team grass, but I instantly adored Scorbunny. (Actually, in recent gens, I've liked the grass starter less). Hopefully the bandaid doesn't mean fighting type. Hoping for ground, but fairy would also be great. However, Wobble becoming a ghost makes perfect sense and makes the fighting type even more likely.

Recent gens have had an RPG class theme for their starters, which is great and which I hope continues. Also, presumably Scorbunny is the speedy starter this gen. If the RPG class trend continues, what might we see? scout Scorbunny? assassin Sobble?

Edit: And yes, please make Sobble have Colour Change

Please, instead of calling it a trainer card, call it a "Pokemon Loicense".

Also curious if the dragon heads on the castle near the middle of the region are based on an actual Pokemon or just a generic dragon.

I'd guess the other best bet is Fire/Fairy, a new combination, but that "bandaid" indeed gives off omen. If Scorbunny becomes Fire/Fighting, well... at least I'll hope it becomes the feminine one like Delphox or Primarina before it, just so I can name it Nanami of Gensou Suikoden II. (Seriously, this is announced while I'm in he mood to listen Suikoden series' musics. This pretty much wants me to go Suikoden II, after Ultra Sun made me name my Dusk Lycanroc Lyon from Suikoden V)

Still... is the Fire/Fighting fear still there? Seriously, since Unova, we all dread of Fire/Fighting 'mon. Also, Mega-Loppunny is also part-Fighting. I'd want a newer kind of bunny, not another Fighting.

Okay so we have yet another monkey Pokemon. Another GRASS monkey Pokemon. Apparently the pansage line wasn’t enough. Yay....

At least the region looks nice. Let’s hope it’s more open world than previous games

At least the region looks nice. Let’s hope it’s more open world than previous games

Pictures like these make me very afraid that this is just another hallway simulator and to be honest I'm tired of this shitty game design.
Pokémon is rapidly moving away from its "cute little handheld game" status. Now it's trying to compete with other console titles and demanding console prices. My expectations are higher than they ever were and so far I'm underwhelmed.
I'm not even talking about open world sandbox Pokémon, but if this is just more railroaded walks through corridors, I'm done.

Last edited:
Grookey has some music design elements as seen in its all different names and the instrument it has. You could even say the english name combination of words can be groove monkey

That small wooden bar it is seen using in the reveal and later put on its head is a clave, a wooden instrument used to mark tempo and make other noises. So far i think Grookey has the most clear theme going on for it's design.
View attachment 162745

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claves
And here I am thinking the name was “Groot Monkey” and we’re getting a full Marvel universe Pokemon subplot

Machoke can be Drax and Zigzagoon... well you get where I’m going with this

First thing to catch my eye:
Right. So, the first thing that really caught my eye in the trailer was the female trainer tip-toeing through the patch of tall grass.
ORAS players know what I'm thinking about...I'm pretty excited that we might get a feature similar to the DexNav! No Pokémon was actually sticking out of the grass, though, so it's still up in the air as to what the tip-toeing actually does functionally.
So that large grassy area with the lakes in the southern part of Galar? Yeah, that's definitely a golf course, everyone, with the lakes obviously being the water hazards and with sand bunkers spread about (I'm surprised no one in this thread has yet openly acknowledge it for speculation's sake).
I wanna say that this particular course is in reference to one of the four professional golf majors, The Open Championship (or British Open). This is all assuming Galar is fully U.K.-based, of course. Either way, it looks like we might get to see Kahili here as a cameo!

This means that there's at least two notable sports in Galar, soccer/football and golf. Please make it at least three, though. As someone from outside the U.K., soccer and golf aren't the sporting events that come to mind first when thinking of sports in the U.K.. That honor goes to tennis, with Wimbledon being one of the world's most prestigious sporting events. So yeah, reveal some Pokémon tennis later on just because, please!

More importantly and unfortunately, that whole area is likely private property. Good luck actually roaming through the entirety of that expansive area, unless for some reason it doubles as a public area in the off-season. I guess we just have to traverse around it...

Initial thoughts on potential of Regional Variants in Galar:
Let me preface this by saying that of all the new concepts and features SM ushered in, if only one concept/feature was adopted from those games it would be the concept of regional variants— and yes, I'd tolerate HMs if they for whatever reason returned (realistically, though, please forbid them in Galar, too).

Surveying the region map and the trailer worried me of the potential addition of new regional variants. Nothing I've seen yet screams to me, "Climate in this area is too unique for you, visiting Pokémon species. Adapt or move someplace more suitable and change!" The climate is fairly normal with respect to each particular location seen in the trailer, unless there are some things unexpectedly unusual within a few habitats that haven't been revealed yet. If someone here from the U.K. could mention if there is anything notable there geographically extreme climate-wise, please do so.

...Okay, I've been staring at those characters from Yveltal's post for too long. I was also trying to decipher them for fun. Maybe I'll figure them out later.

As for the starters, after seeing the Flying typing on Rowlett change as it evolved, I'm not very confident in guessing the future typings of these guys. Honestly, I could settle for pure typing all the way, as boring as that sounds, but these guys do scream dual-typing potentially.

It's reasonably common, especially in later gens, for the secondary typings to form a secondary type triangle, which is cool, but makes me fear fire fighting even more, especially as Sobble is most likely going to end up as ghost, or maybe dark. In which case Grookey will likely end up as dark or psychic respectively. Any other triangles anyone sees as fitting?

Edit: I do hope for more registered variants and megas. Exclusive Z-moves too, though that's less likely.

Not sure why those fears are "weird",
Because they had stated multiple times over the course of Let's Go advertising that it was a "one of its kind" as game and that the 2019 RPG was going to be matching all other standard core RPG experiences.

It was basically repeated for 6+ months in a row that nothing of Let's Go would appear in the main series, except at worst something like the Go-Park as they did also say they want to keep the Go compatibility going forward.

Hi all!
I've not been playing Pokemon much but I *must* participate in the hype for a new gen, lol.

Firstly, I think the game looks nice.
It's come a long way from Gen I on the Gameboy that's for sure!
IMO, Pokemon graphics will always be conservative relative to the state of the art because of the explosion of Pokemon and moves.
They have to keep adding both while retaining old ones so it'll quickly get out of hand if everything is done in too much detail.
We'll probably have close to 900 monsters by the time this generation is out!

I also feel good about the region from what we've seen.
Sinnoh is my favorite region in the games and I think this region has potential. IMO, It's not small at all.
Firstly, major buildings are exaggerated in the art and, secondly, the character is smaller than a door on one of the small houses.
Taking that scale into consideration, it's pretty big.

I think it's divided into about four sizeable major areas stacked above each other.
1) The presumed starting area with fields, two towns and a "stately home". This is separated from area two by a mountain range.
2) A large lake and woodland district with no settlements. It's end is marked by the large walled city
3) An industrial district with many towns that is bookended by two large cities.
4) A snowy mountain area capped by the presumed capital.

So there are four linearly arranged "districts" but they each seem to be quite large and probably allow for non-linear movement within them.
I like these kind of world designs because they give freedom within some structure.
If you played Xenoblade 1 you'll understand that large areas connected in a linear way still give a sense of "freedom".
This design also suggests a very clear goal: getting to the capital (or Bionis' head).

I'm looking forward to more info!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here is a high resolution version of the full map. Does the region seem kinda small to anyone else?
I think the map is meant to be one-to-one in the foreground, but becomes less detailed the further back it goes. The whole of the icy town is showed with just one building, for instance.

Also, a few more things I've noticed after thinking it through some more:

The bad:
  • Another big "Seriously, Game Freak, this is worrying and you need to think" in the design of the female character. Again, we have a girl whose skirt is so short she might as well not have worn it at all. Would it really have killed anybody if a female character, for once, was given a skirt or pants whose edge was closer to her knees than her crotch? I think it's a little sickening to see the heroines, usually portrayed to be 15 or younger, always dressed in skimpy clothing instead of the practical wear the boys tend to have.
  • The northern city. In the big map Nelson Tangela posted, it seems like its walkable area extends to the two banks of the river, with most of the background buildings just existing as map filler. I know this contradicts the thing I said above about the map getting less detailed further north, but so does the map, actually, defying all conventions of perspective (see the train station in the middle of the icy areas, it's smaller than the windows in the northern city). This city seems to be drawn with a much higher level of detail than the middle one. You can see every walkway and architectural detail in its foreground, and then a mass of really generic buildings in the background, without any allusions to a street grid, or any sort of inspired architecture. Heck, half of them have the same roof details. I fear that this city is really just another small town, with a bunch of set pieces to make it look like it has more content than it does.
The good:
  • This region seems to have one thing Alola sorely lacked: Landmarks. There is a clearly recognizable visual to every town, which is nice.
  • I like the level of background details. The mailbox outside of the player's house, the billboard advertising a Berry product in the southern city, the Fletchling wind wane, the cart full of flowers in the second town, the ...ice cream cart? ...in the icy town, not to mention the interior shots seen in the trailer. The interiors aren't just boxes with a table in the center and a small kitchen counter at the back, they're practically recreations of something you could build in real life.
  • I absolutely love to see detailed architecture and realistically scaled buildings. Alola had those too, but not with the same level of detail as seen here, and not on the same scale. I mean, a realistically scaled beach hut is one thing, but a realistically scaled clock tower...
  • Character animations! When you see the female trainer adjust her backpack in that clip in the trailer, you're seeing something that clearly couldn't be done on the 3DS. The way she leans forward to compensate for the weight, grips the straps to adjust them, and loosens her stance afterwards... it's believable.
  • The player characters are shown walking, running and sneaking. As Pikachu315111 mentioned, there's hope for the latter mechanic to have some relevance... and everybody loved the DexNav!
  • Last, but not least: The amount of stuff we haven't yet seen. Sure, it's probably almost seven months until the games release, but even with a very small regional Pokédex they could still show us one new Pokémon per week and hardly reveal half of them. Then there are the side characters, any eventual new mechanics, a closer look on some of the new areas, new moves and abilities...
I'm hyped!

Very hyped for Sword and Shield! The graphics are beautiful, the starters look awesome (especially Sobble), the protagonists seem cool, and I’m glad gyms and random encounters are back.

I’m hoping they bring back megas and Z-moves as well. And that they feature my bois Kabuto and Kabutops

Speaking of fossils, will we get new ones? I hope so. Only 2 gens so far haven't had them. TPP needs more members of the fossil pantheon. Maybe the new animation for ancient power from Sun and Moon was hinting at this gens fossils.

Corgis have been mentioned as fitting the new dog Mon. Guesses for the new early birds and rodents?

Also, fletching is clearly in from the wind vane. Any guesses as to what other unrevealed Mon will be returning?

Of course. Hoping for new eeveelutions, especially as it's an even gen. These would be perfect for bringing in the Steel one, both for their names, and as the counterpart to Sylveon. I hope they give us more than one though. It would be great if they gave us three to make up for XY. In which case dragon and poison make the most sense to me.

Hi guys has anyone one been upset that Wales and Scotland is not in the game well.... They are!!!'
In. Fact all three of the national citys are on the map
How do I know this?
Well if you look closely you wll relises that the first city is not just a steam punk London, its Cardiff wooooo
Need proof search up pierhead building in Cardiff and you will find it's exactly the same as the one in the map!!
Also Cardiff and south Wales is known for its coal mining industry which is often related to machinery giving out that steampunk look
So how do we no we know just a red London tower well they're is already a London worth a big ben tower! We can find London at the top of the map with the London write buckengam tower and the clock tower. Also London is the biggest city in Britain so it would make sense for it to be the biggest in the map.
Finally what the last city in the middle is Edinburgh I know this because you can see an extinct volcano by this and there is an extint volcano just like the map in Edinburgh! And also the cliffs by it could represent Hadrians wall!
Anyway what could these mean reply down below!:psycry:

Hi guys has anyone one been upset that Wales and Scotland is not in the game well.... They are!!!'
In. Fact all three of the national citys are on the map
How do I know this?
Well if you look closely you wll relises that the first city is not just a steam punk London, its Cardiff wooooo
Need proof search up pierhead building in Cardiff and you will find it's exactly the same as the one in the map!!
Also Cardiff and south Wales is known for its coal mining industry which is often related to machinery giving out that steampunk look
So how do we no we know just a red London tower well they're is already a London worth a big ben tower! We can find London at the top of the map with the London write buckengam tower and the clock tower. Also London is the biggest city in Britain so it would make sense for it to be the biggest in the map.
Finally what the last city in the middle is Edinburgh I know this because you can see an extinct volcano by this and there is an extint volcano just like the map in Edinburgh! And also the cliffs by it could represent Hadrians wall!
Anyway what could these mean reply down below!:psycry:
Makes sense, although Manchester also makes sense as the first city, Pier head tower is red. And we can all safely disprove that it is steampunk London. (Unless we get to do some timetravel) It is a great theory though. And I would love to see more British history like Hadrians wall. I would also love to see old folklore that I learned in school, ( I can imagine the red and white dragons as legendarys). We could also get some good festivals like the harvest festival and st David’s day (Welsh traditions) Coal mining has obviously got something to do with this region as well.
Great theory Pinky

Lots of people have been confused about wolves on the logo. So to get things straight, wolves have been recently re introduced in Scotland as since they were wiped out in Britain there was no predator to control deer populations. Pokemon has obviously researched this area a lot. (Although not sure why we have a monkey starter?!!)

The clouds on the map could be hiding a connection to Kalos. I wonder where they could connect them...
There is a port town with a boat and a lighthouse in the east. Except from underwater rails or airports, that'd be the only way out from an island.
But I don't recall anything like a portuary town in Kalos. But they have some unused train stations...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)