Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Back to the Game Informer news, I was thinking about how in the Rapid-Fire Q&A Ohmori said that Dynamax is just a projection (but was for some reason unsure of where the Pokemon actually is). If that were true, what does that mean for the mons with Gigantamax forms? How would they explain lore-wise that only certain individuals of a species are able to Gigantamax and changes abilities? It makes me wonder if the story is going to explain Dynamax as a projection when introducing the concept, only to reveal later near the climax that's it is actually the power of some legendary making the Pokemon bigger, and that some Pokemon gain different forms using this energy. :smogthink:
Or it's all a marketing stunt. They make them look cooler to sell more.

... I'm liking that twist.

I wonder if there's a possibillity that Galarian Ponyta might be an Ice Type. Its white and when its mane glows, its like an Aurora. Though I prefer it to be Fairy, considering that Rapidash is very fast, I could see it being a huge boon should be an ice/flying esecially if it keeps access to moves like high horse power for Ice Monotype.

I wonder if there's a possibillity that Galarian Ponyta might be an Ice Type. Its white and when its mane glows, its like an Aurora. Though I prefer it to be Fairy, considering that Rapidash is very fast, I could see it being a huge boon should be an ice/flying esecially if it keeps access to moves like high horse power for Ice Monotype.
Doubtful. I could see it design-wise, but not with this sort of reveal. GF seems to like keeping Ice-types locked away in frozen caves and mountain peaks, and while that forest IRL would be fairly chilly, I doubt Sneasel or Jynx will be available there. If Galaran Ponyta was an Ice type, they would have put it somewhere else.

:mehowth: Guess I've seen it enough to accustomed to the creepiness of the rest of the design, but the one nostril is a new feature so it stood out? Seems about as creepy as Gollum, which we're also all used to by now, but even Gollum had two nostrils! (Also for the record, Impidimp also only has one wing on the back of its head!) :P

I feel like if we had to guess typings for these based just on artwork, though, most of us would still guess fire for a lot of these based on color scheme?

==========

Back to the Game Informer news, I was thinking about how in the Rapid-Fire Q&A Ohmori said that Dynamax is just a projection (but was for some reason unsure of where the Pokemon actually is). If that were true, what does that mean for the mons with Gigantamax forms? How would they explain lore-wise that only certain individuals of a species are able to Gigantamax and changes abilities? It makes me wonder if the story is going to explain Dynamax as a projection when introducing the concept, only to reveal later near the climax that's it is actually the power of some legendary making the Pokemon bigger, and that some Pokemon gain different forms using this energy. :smogthink:
Dynamax Levels exist, so odds are that’ll be how much Dynamax energy they have, with Gigantamaxing being available to Mons with Max Dynamax Level, which will probably be mentioned in story somehow.

Honestly, at this point every type* should have 100 accuracy Physical and Special moves with 50-70 BP and 90-120 BP. Not signature moves either, ones with enough distribution that basically any mon of that type can have a reliable STAB option for midgame and endgame. Mons that lack or have lots of coverage are fine, but the lack of basic attacking options is just annoying.

*except for Fighting and Psychic
That's discrimination! Physical Psychic and Special Fighting moves matter too!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually, Sableye is a Pokémon based on the Hopkinsville Goblin,
Apparently people think it's based on the Hopkinsville Goblin which kinda makes sense... But doesn't explain the Ghost/Dark typing.
I know, but since the Hopkinsville Goblin is an alien and not a ghost I didn't find it necessary to bring up (similar to how I skimmed over Giratina's possible religious basis). There's also a possibility Sableye is based on kobolds, mythical creatures that lived in the rocks of mines and would terrorize the miners digging into their home.

Might be due to the lack of special moves that make contact. Grass Knot is the only other one I can think of.
Infestation, Petal Dance, Trump Card, and Wring Out also make contact. Though I don't think that's why Draining Kiss is Special.

My guess is more because the Pokemon that learn Draining Kiss are Special focused.

Also it's a kiss. The kiss isn't doing any damage, it's the energy absorbing that is.

Hmm, maybe the Pokemon who go through Gigantamaxing are accessing a "mega form" via the energy used to Dynamax. In this case the Pokemon DOES physically change and it's this new form that's projected. Hopefully if that's the case this means there's a chance the existing Mega Pokemon can be recycled to being Gigantamaxed forms.

Eh, they already changed one Fire-type into an Ice-type (Vulpix family); and two Kanto Pokemon into Ice-types (Vulpix & Sandshrew). I feel making a second Fire-type/Kanto Pokemon into an Ice-type is a bit repetitive.

Well, Fighting has Aura Sphere which is in-between. It requires having its pathetic distribution fixed, though.
And Vacuum Wave.

I’d much prefer it if SwSh introduced new moves to fill these voids rather than undermining the mysticism and exclusivity of moves like Aura Sphere.

Having said that, Aura Sphere’s nerf in XY rendered it almost worthless for Pokémon without Mega Launcher, so any new special Fighting-type attack would be practically guaranteed to outclass it without a horrible drawback (a la Focus Blast’s accuracy).

It’s a tricky spot tbh. I’d argue that Aura Sphere should be unnerfed and possibly buffed even further. After all, Megas aren’t coming back for SwSh and it’s not like Clawitzer’s going to be some unstoppable beast with one stronger attack. This would create an opening for a new, slightly weaker special Fighting-type move with wider distribution.

Also, tentatively predicting pure Fairy for Galarian Ponyta. I’d prefer Fire/Fairy, but if it were a Fire-type it would’ve been easy to incorporate that into the design without compromising the overall look they were going for.

Gameinformer posted a very small part of their interview with the devs on their thoughts behind Grookey. As you would imagine they didn’t say much at all about his evolutions but it’s a pretty cute interview. Ohmori seemed to be enjoying himself during it and I just thought it was worth posting for anyone who may have 2 minutes to spare.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Gameinformer posted a very small part of their interview with the devs on their thoughts behind Grookey. As you would imagine they didn’t say much at all about his evolutions but it’s a pretty cute interview. Ohmori seemed to be enjoying himself during it and I just thought it was worth posting for anyone who may have 2 minutes to spare.
So quick facts about Grookey:
  1. Grookey likes to climb trees (and probably other tall structures). It instills life wherever it taps its stick (as seen in the Galar Starter debut when it grew grass that Scorbunny burned). However, the stick may not be that important of a factor when it evolves.

2. It's a mood maker whose bright demeanor makes people happy. The opposite of Sobble which is more depressed.

3. While it's another monkey Pokemon, just as there's many kinds of different monkeys in real life, Grookey will be a different kind of monkey Pokemon.

4. The kind of trainer who would like Grookey are ones who: like to dance or go to parties. They want to go out and have fun; really bright and jovial.
So, where to start? Well, I think point 3 is a pretty solid statement: it won't be like any other monkey Pokemon. So, let's list all the monkey Pokemon, what kind of money they are, and their personality:

Mankey/Primeape: Baboon-ish. Foul temper & easy to anger.
Aipom/Ambipom: Generic monkey. Playful pranksters but friendly.
Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking: Baboon for Vigoroth, gorilla for Slaking. Slakoth are lazy & easy going, Vigoroth are hyperactive & aggressive, and Slaking are lazy & apathetic.
Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape: Mostly Chimpanzees but is a mixed with other monkeys; also based on mythical monkey figure Sun Wukong & the Monkey Kung Fu martial arts style. Mischievous & confident.
Pansage/Simisage, Pansear/Simisear, & Panpour/Simipour: Mostly chimpanzees; Sages visual pun on leaf monkeys; Pours visual pun on sea monkeys; possible Three Wise Monkey motif. As Pans they all are joyful, when they evolve they differ in temperament: Simisage is rebellious, Simisear is excitable but irritable, and Simipour remains cheerful.
Darumaka/Darmanitan: Orangutan-ish. Cheeky & gutsy.
Oranguru: Orangutan. Calm & wise.
Passimian: Lemur. Cooperative & Coordinated.

With what we're told about Grookey's personality, at the moment it would probably closely match Aipom family and the Elemental Monkeys basic stage. If it's true what they say and its evolution will not be like a Pokemon we've seen, then at least Grookey's final evo won't be a prankster, rebel, agitated, or cheerful. Huh, kind of ran the whole gambit there, and honestly it staying cheerful would make the most sense. Well, maybe it's a different kind of cheerful. Simipour looks like its happy just to hang out and go on a nice walk. So Grookey's evo would be more lively and energetic. They don't just want to be happy, they want to make everyone around them happy.

We've done baboons, chimpanzees, orangutans, and lemurs plus some monkey-based puns. Galar is based on Britian/UK and they don't really have any native monkey species from what I can tell, closest would be I guess the old world monkies. But which one? I'm kind of leaning toward a Macaque. It's a large group genus with many species with a distinct appearance. However if we were to pick a new world monkey, I see a strong pick with the howler monkey.

Finally, being a Starter you know it's not going to just be a monkey. No, it has to have a secondary theme. Well, going back to it's demeanor and wanting to make people happy, maybe an entertainer of some sort? And with the ideal trainer being someone who likes to dance and/or go to parties, how about a musician? Like a drummer... WAIT. They said it's stick isn't going to be much of a factor when it evolves, and it becoming a drummer would make the stick sort of important. Well, maybe instead of a musician it could instead be a singer. It could still have its stick but now just use it as a microphone, it's voice now being the thing instilling life and energy, making people and Pokemon want to stand up and dance & parteh. A singer would also want to be the center of attention so would probably climb up the highest place, and a holler monkey is well known for its loud yells.

So here's my prediction for Grookey's final evo: A Holler Monkey Rock Singer.

I go by names and appearance.

1st Grookey -- groovy monkey. Holds single drumstick. Grass type

2nd Babeat. Baboon+beat? Smacks some sticks together. Slightly aggressive looking.

3rd Gorhythm-- mean looking gorilla that smacks a big drum. Grass and one of fighting/fairy/dark.

You heard it here first

Last edited:
002.jpg

Galarian Ponyta:
Pure psychic type(?), or at least it looks more like エスパー than フェアリー to me.
Ability is Pastel Veil (direct from パステルベール, though its English could potentially be a lot, lot worse), which prevents itself and allies from being poisoned, as well as helps its allies recover from poison when it enters the battlefield.
Shield-exclusive.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
View attachment 199826

Galarian Ponyta:
Pure psychic type(?), or at least it looks more like エスパー than フェアリー to me.
Ability is Pastel Veil (direct from パステルベール, though its English could potentially be a lot, lot worse), which prevents itself and allies from being poisoned, as well as helps its allies recover from poison when it enters the battlefield.
Shield-exclusive.
Honestly, the second to last character's blurry mess looks more like that of Fairy to me- we should probably reserve judgement until a proper statement though

X'DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

So, Florges is Fairy. Azumarill is Fairy. Mr. Mime is Fairy. Magearna is Fairy. 2 cakes are Fairy. Granbull is Fairy. Comfey is Fairy. Yes, all of them can be justified, we all know how to justify almost anything going into detail...

And you are telling me a Unicorn, a creature that has been depicted living in hallowed valleys amongst fairys and rainbows is Psychic type? We've had a problem with Psychic typing in recent years. They put it anywhere. Anything that looks mystical or whose desing doesn't relate to any known typing is Psychic because yes.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Both Psycic types and Fairy types are both "Magic.tm" types. Celebi is an onion pixie yet is psychic. The lake trio are all still psychics. Whats Fairy magic and whats Psychic magic is hardly defined.

That and Rapidash could be Fairy/Psychic.
Also Ponyta may just be (imo looks like it is) Fairy making the entire previous rant redundant :mehowth:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)