Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

It would be a coincidence if it was 1, or maybe 2 of the starters, but all 3, from the same franchise? Corresponding to the matching colors per character? C’mon man, even the pose/stance is a fit.

As for lazy, we already have an example of Gen 8- Meltan: Silver Ditto with a Roggenrola or Unown “O” head.

As more get revealed it might help us know if they are copying other work.

Plus we already know they have copied other franchises: Mega Evolution is similar to Digimon (the devices used to evolve the creatures, fusing humans with creatures (like Nihilego possessing Gladion’s mom etc.)

The trailer sucked, the ideas are obviously a copy.

Let’s hope they don’t use make the Gen 8 a version of Aegislash forms of the same legendary (looking at the logo, it appears to be the same head / creature).
I suppose those are some interesting points. But I still find it hard to believe that they would base it off the Powerpuff girls of all things. Anyway the correct term is inspired, not copied. These characters are clearly different, but have some inspiration from other characters. Its not really uncommon in the artistic world. Characters like Judy Hopps were inspired by people like Superman.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I suppose those are some interesting points. But I still find it hard to believe that they would base it off the Powerpuff girls of all things. Anyway the correct term is inspired, not copied. These characters are clearly different, but have some inspiration from other characters. Its not really uncommon in the artistic world. Characters like Judy Hopps were inspired by people like Superman.
Nope, I would say they copied the coloring, the stance, the idea of it corresponding to a trio, and of course having powers. While not humanoids, they copied aspects that were beyond inspiration.

Copying is defined as: “imitate the style or behavior of.”
  • “Painters create variations of the masters and copy brush strokes or color palettes.”
“Color palettes.”

Anyways- I see your point, but I am not completely convinced.

Nope, I would say they copied the coloring, the stance, the idea of it corresponding to a trio, and of course having powers. While not humanoids, they copied aspects that were beyond inspiration.

Copying is defined as: “imitate the style or behavior of.”
  • “Painters create variations of the masters and copy brush strokes or color palettes.”
“Color palettes.”

Anyways- I see your point, but I am not completely convinced.
Bruh, the starters have always been a trio. That's like saying the gen1 starters borrowed from the Powerpuff Girls because they existed first and were a trio.
Plus the picture you're referring to was doodled by someone to make a point that the starters have some similarities to another cartoon. Those drawings aren't official and the poses have no bearing on the design similarities.

So I been surfing on the internet and I saw some people bringing pic related to attention, what are you people opinion on it?

Before anyone simple ditch this as another cheap fakemon and delete my post I brought this up because I could see some semblances with scorchbunny, this was posted back on jun 4, last year and now with the bunny released....I don't know, I mean, the starters later stages being leaked its not uncommon as it happened on Gen5, 6 with greninja and 7 but the date was way too early like more than 1 year of difference from the release if GF keeps the late 2019 release date and there were lots of fakes fire bunnys, but from what I heard unlike the others no one could track the real creator of this one and unlike some fake leaks the Japanese on this one seems correct. So what are your thoughts?
If I compare it... the lineart is pretty smooth compared to Delphox's sheet and leaked Alolan starters. I'd say this is unlikely.

Also, why are they comparing the size with Alolan girl? Vanilla SuMn one at that.
Eh, Bewear? That looks more like anime Ash and Serena (post style change) in that sheet.

Still, rocket bunny does look interesting. But yeah, like EntermaidPrimarina before her, I'll not take it too seriously until it is confirmed.

I should've checked previous posts first. This was certainly interesting, but sighs....

Pokemon Essos and Pokemon Westeros, geography sometimes swapped around... what a day and age to be alive!

Looks like we are born in the meadows of Highgarden, and we will proceed on our knight conquest by crossing plains and lakelands, then entering King's Landing where the Blackwaters loom around the city. Then we are going to indulge in the riverlands, we have Harrenal with its stadium up west, even with the reminder of Dragons breathing fire burning it depicted on the hills! Furthermore, we have Winterfell with its huge walls, even though I wonder why Jon's already put a dragon on the entrance... and up there here comes the Wall, with Eastwatch-by-the-sea and Westwatch by the bridge, with some interesting Children of the Forest painting out west even! I didn't realize the Others had such an advanced industrial city up there in the glaciers!

Stupidity from A song of ice and fire aside, I really dig the UK environment, even though, from the player going around, I feel like we should genuinely worry whether we risk another Alola syndrome: a.k.a. an apparently huge, filled with potential map but with an entirely botched execution for exploration (looking at you, Wela Volcano). I see huge spaces on the interior part of the map that troubles me as potential filler. I'd like to give GF and TPC some leeway here, though: now they're up against toughest competition, and they need to deliver.

On paper, the region looks fantastic. I really thank the user who spotted the two-ways-of travelling-potential, I didn't realize that for every route there is basically a by-foot/Tauros route and a rail one. We probably would need to travel the region twice at least, they're likely setting up shortcuts via train.

Stadiums watch:

first one in King's Landing

Harrenal's

Eastern one, the only open space with potential Water interaction.

Eastwatch by the Sea's

Opposite of the former one

Slightly up North

in the Northenest city

I count 7 of them, I'm wonder where the missing one is:

• if it's located in dragontown (there's a potential stadium like building with a tower on it), our hometown and the entire southern area will be fairly isolated and one-dimensional;
  • if one of the buildings down South is a stadium/gym, then Dragontown could be the final city/Pokemon League because, regardless:
  • If the skyscraper with a dome up North is indeed the Pokemon League, we've never had a gym so close to it, or a Pokemon League so entrenched in a city. They're usually very, very isolated.
Regardless, both Dragontown and Bigbentown have tall, large buildings with a larger last store, all red flags for the Pokemon League.

Regarding the starters, I like 'em all, but:

1. Grookey looks the most appealing to me. I am getting a Conkeldurr-Oranguru hybrid vibe (like a trunk swinging gorilla), and I would love it. When I heard him in the background doing the cane-batting thing I was over-joyful.
  2. Scorbunny looks like a fast running speedster. The design I like the least so far, probably because it's the one interacting less with environment/objects (no, running up a factory doesn't count).
  3. Sobble looks like the most plain, but also already in-depth characterized.
Also, was I the only one thinking that the scene of Sobble extinguishing Scorbunny's footprints appeared gross? It looked someone was urinating on it.

Either way, obvious Pokemon hype is obvious. I will try to go dark as soon as the legends are revealed: it's been since generation IV that I have not walked a patch of grass not knowing what Pokemon design I might encounter, and that was one of the most thrilling vibes of Pokemon of old.

Going to breed the hell out of USUM to have everything ready in a fancy ball and with tons of transferable Egg Moves for the new mons. Better be prepared, maybe they will add some new features to breeding (like cross-species ball inheritance) that will drive collectors like me crazy. Guess I'm opening a third trade thread soon.

I feel like speculation on the map will always be incomplete because the map doesn't necessarily show everything. I don't believe the original Alola map we were given showed everything either. It's perfectly possible (and probably probable) that there would be a castle somewhere. There's a lot more to be revealed about the locations in this region I am sure.

I feel like speculation on the map will always be incomplete because the map doesn't necessarily show everything. I don't believe the original Alola map we were given showed everything either. It's perfectly possible (and probably probable) that there would be a castle somewhere. There's a lot more to be revealed about the locations in this region I am sure.
Yeah but the Kalos and Alolan regions have both featured illustrations of the regions that highlight all the major locations in their respective games.

It's assumed that the map we're given for Galar is only excluding the same gameplay details that the previous maps have also not contained.

I think that maybe they thought Buckingham palace would be enough (you can see it in the top city) However it cannot really replace Castles as they are literally the reason most people go to the UK, And if there were are big castle with something to do with the plot, it would most likely be in the original map.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't believe the original Alola map we were given showed everything either.
It practically showed every rock, tree, fence post and tuft of grass in Alola, to scale. Some sheltered locations such as Melemele Meadow or the route leading up to Mount Hokulani were hidden due to the perspective of the map, but it was detailed enough to show pretty much everything. Plus a few areas we ended up unable to access, such as the Akala golf course, a great forest behind Iki Town or the many pools and waterfalls of Brooklet Hill. In a sense, the original Alola map showed more than we ended up getting.

That being said, it seems like the Galar map is pretty low on details in the middle distance (before the city at the very back suddenly gets super-detailed again, in total disregard for the conventions of perspective), so there could be plenty of stuff we're not seeing. That town on a cliff looks like it's represented by only two buildings on the map, for instance.

This might be a controversial suggestion of sorts, but I'd love to see a "egg chaining" feature added in SwSh, so the more eggs you hatch of the exact same Pokemon, the higher chance it has to be a shiny. I have no idea how they could add in the feature and balance well enough to appeal to the crowd that wants shiny hunting to be easier, and to the crowd that thinks it's easy enough as it is, but I'd personally love it.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
It practically showed every rock, tree, fence post and tuft of grass in Alola, to scale. Some sheltered locations such as Melemele Meadow or the route leading up to Mount Hokulani were hidden due to the perspective of the map, but it was detailed enough to show pretty much everything. Plus a few areas we ended up unable to access, such as the Akala golf course, a great forest behind Iki Town or the many pools and waterfalls of Brooklet Hill. In a sense, the original Alola map showed more than we ended up getting.

That being said, it seems like the Galar map is pretty low on details in the middle distance (before the city at the very back suddenly gets super-detailed again, in total disregard for the conventions of perspective), so there could be plenty of stuff we're not seeing. That town on a cliff looks like it's represented by only two buildings on the map, for instance.
Actually the pools were where the water trial took place

However we do know for a fact this map is not 100% accurate:

vs

Just in the first city alone there are some houses and a center missing

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The first thing I noticed about the starters is that they all have the same head shape and similar body style. This suggests either laziness... or some sort of closer relation between them. Maybe some sort of evolution shenanigans? They seem too similar to be a coincidence.
I know what you mean. For some reason there feels to be some kind of similarity between the Starters, and not just the head shape. Something about how they're overly designed feels like it was made so they were similar in design in some way. It's not uncommon for Starters to share a theme, and with Scorbunny's obvious soccer-inspired personality maybe this group will all evolve into a sport-playing Pokemon. Scorbunny a soccer player, Grookey could be a stick sport like cricket, and Sobble maybe a water sport like water polo (it looks like it's doing a goalie crouch, sorta).

The wolves on the logos are identical which makes me think the legendaries are either
  1. Not related to the wolf and its just a crest
  2. or Very closely related to each other like lunala and solgaleo were with their evolution
Another idea I had: maybe it's the same Legendary but two different forms.

Also I discovered that the UK has an interesting history concerning wolves. A famous folktale concerning a wolf is the Welsh tale Gelert. In it the Prince of Gwynedd, Llywelyn the Great, was gifted a dog from King John of England, naming the dog Gelert. Coming home from a hunting trip he finds his baby son missing, the crib overturned, and Gelert smeared with blood. Thinking Gelert killed his son, Llywelyn kills Gelert with his sword. However he then hears the cries of his son and discover it alongside a corpse of a wolf, realizing that Gelert had actually protected his son by killing the wolf. Gelert is buried with a great ceremony but Llywelyn is forever grief stricken.

Okay, not the most happiest tale, but I can maybe see how they could make a form changing Legendary from it. A "Sword" Wolf inspired by the wolf that tried killing Llywelyn's son and the sword that killed Gelert, and a "Shield" Wolf based on Gelert who protected Llywelyn's son.

fyi for anyone who wants to upload any sword/shield content to youtube, the nintendo ninjas (ik know its TPC not nintendo but still) are ferocious rn with thier blocks. You have been warned.
Ugh, I though Nintendo had gotten over that...:facepalm:

This is the Galar region, not Unova.
It should be Pokémon Bow.
Actually I would say Pokemon Arrow as it sounds better.

I still don't understand why London is in the north though
Better thematically? You start out in a countryside and work your way up to the big city, and in order to do that they needed to flip the map.

altho i really hope its fake. armoured evolution sounds awful and gives opportunity for more gen 1 pandering
Actually something else comes to mind:
POKE ARMOR ENERGIZE!

Needs to be made into a Smiley.:mehowth:

Plot twist: Legends are actually Mega Rampardos and Mega Bastiodon.
But Rampardos isn't a sword its a spear.

It's 227. As in 2/27. Today.
And 2/27 is Pokemon's birthday, the day when Pokemon Red & Green were released in Japan.

That being said, it would be disappointing if we waited this time and got little content in terms of game experience and no updates to the pokemon themselves. The environments are lovely, but the Pokemon should still be the focus.
Even if they can't do it for all Pokemon, they could at least give the Pokemon in the Regional Dex more dynamic poses and animations. They should looks like they're ready to attack/defend themselves, not like they're doing a "stay still" trick and waiting for their trainer to give them a treat.

So they have a new writing system in this region that, like Unown, appears to be based on the latin alphabet

(...)

It's also entirely possible that all text besides "game freak" is gibberish.
Very interesting, though would seem odd for them to show that the letters do have relation with letters (the ones that spell out GAME FREAK) and then having an example where it doesn't seem to spell out anything (unless we're missing something, like one symbol representing two letters).

I have rewatched the trailer, and
View attachment 162674

Seems to be related to whatever place he was heading to
Waited till this post to discuss the mysterious logo.

A red and blue Pokeball (colors possibly representing the default Switch Joy-Con colors, title colors, or both) but each has a spike on the opposite side (giving it an S shape, though I don't think that's what they're going for here) and three "swirls" with one on the red, one on the blue, and one going from blue into the red.

And considering the logo is on the player's jersey as they go into a stadium, a stadium which might be the Gym... well, that's all I got without going into wild speculation. If the stadium the player is walking into is the Gym, then maybe Gyms aren't going to be as we know them to be. While certainly Pokemon Battles would still be part of a Gym, maybe instead of puzzles they could have us playing mini sports games with our Pokemon (at least in the ones that look like stadiums)? Would certainly mix up the Gym formula if instead of figuring out a tile puzzle you had to score a goal to then challenge an opponent to a battle until getting to the Gym Leader.

And since it's in the titles of the Japanese version, maybe this could be the new major gimmick they're banking on? Instead of a new mechanic like Mega Evolution & Z-Moves its a new feature? At least one can hope because we don't need another new feature (especially armor digivolution) but rather focus on existing ones like Megas, Z-Moves, and maybe new regional forms...

I’m also wondering if cloud support and Amiibo will be in the series. I’m leaning no for former, because 1. Bank Exists and 2. Let’s Go didn’t support it.
I certainly have ideas how they can do Amiibo, though the question with Amiibo is how would they do with it making new ones? Who would they base the Amiibo on? The obvious answer would be the Pokemon, but with their being SO many Pokemon they can't make an Amiibo for all of them, even doing the most popular might be a bit much. They could maybe do some of the human characters though they generally aren't are marketable as the Pokemon (unless they maybe do a combination, having a notable Trainer with their ace Pokemon).

As for ideas what would Amiibo do: unlock special battles, insert a special Pokemon into the wild/make it easier to catch a certain Pokemon, unlock customization items. Though they do need to be careful not giving the player too much of an advantage, I would say not giving them a way to make a lot of money or gain massive amounts of experience would be something to keep in mind.

I don't see any follow pokemon in the trainer unfortunately. Anyone think there's still a chance for it?
At least not until the third version. Same for wild Pokemon walking around.

No real gameplay footage
What? While it may not have been finalized gameplay it was still gameplay. Only thing that wasn't gameplay really was the Starters segment.

I'm hoping that an early Pokemon will get an Ice-type evolution, prior to the frozen area late game.
I can see the following Ice-types being able to found early in a game where the region is generally cold: Swinub, Shellder, & Sneasel. Okay, not as many as I thought (though they could add another Ice-type you can find early), but hey those three aren't bad options either for early Ice-type catch.

On one hand through what if they give certain Pokémon an attack form and a defense form like slash, and the regular version is neutral. Ie Armored mewtwo is aegislash shield form, which would be bulky, and an attacking form which would be like aegislash blade form with high attack stats. This could break a lot of pokemon btw.
Hmm, actually this gives me an idea how they could do the "Armor" gimmick.

Now I don't think they'll be outright form changes, it's one reason why I feel GF doesn't like Mega Evolution because the Pokemon changing forms limits how many Pokemon can use the new gimmick. No, instead maybe this "Armoring" would work like Z-Moves: it's an item you attack to your Pokemon.

Giving them the "Sword Armor" will increase their Attack & Special Attack.
Giving them the "Shield Armor" will increase their Defense & Special Defense.

And from there you can pretty much go in a lot of directions, like having different types of Sword and Shield armors that effect stats in different ways, raising and decreasing them in extreme ways.

And most importantly the Pokemon wouldn't change, at most maybe they'll have certain particle/texture effects applied to them but nothing that would require a new model.

Also, as a VG judge, I just wish we had a competitive mode, where you could get rental Pokémon for your team pronto after you finish the game. And if you want special Pokeball or shiny, you breed/hunt.
That could be an interesting idea, would give players who don't have time to do all the breeding & training a batch of competitive ready Pokemon (or at least as best as a Pokemon can be without Egg Moves, Hidden Abilities, all perfect IVs & EVs, and being Shiny) while also rewarding players who did go through the trials of breeding to get a special Pokemon.

Unless I missed something there really was almost nothing shown.

(...)

I guess the real news is that there's no major news. The next game will follow their tried and tested formula for main series games. There will be graphical improvements (and hopefully less lag) because the console is more powerful.
It was pretty much a sneak peak trailer to just show off how the region and how the game is going to look. If you want any features or mechanic that's for the next announcements where they now have to actually keep our interest. But for right now just showing off the next generation is enough to draw agro attention and interest.

Okay, sidenote, we need an abbreviation for these games. "SS" is already taken by SoulSilver, so we need something new. After asking the OI Discord channel, I like Altissimo's suggestion "Swish" the best. So Swish it is.
Swish, has a nice ring to it, I approve.:blobthumbsup:

Immediately, we notice that roads and towns are very clearly marked. There are areas you are meant to go, and areas that will remain inaccessible. For instance, there are no areas interacting with the coasts apart from that little bit in the east. The mountains in the very north, or the woods in the south, all show no indication of being areas you can visit. Fair enough, though, Pokémon games have some restriction, with Routes clearly defining your path, but there was always a little spark of hope in me that the region would be fairly open to roam given the right tools to master difficult terrain. Alas, it seems like we are limited to routes and towns again - not that that is a problem if done correctly.
Wow, now that your pointed it out, if you were to draw an outline of what is most likely be traverse-able it does cut down the map by a LOT. Particularly the snowy mountains, forests surrounding the starting town/player house, and the mountains behind the final city (and the few small islands around the mainland). That's kind of disappointing, makes it feel like wasted space. Even if they don't include anything major it would at least make the region feel as big as the map makes you want to think it is.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Pokemon Essos and Pokemon Westeros, geography sometimes swapped around... what a day and age to be alive!

Looks like we are born in the meadows of Highgarden, and we will proceed on our knight conquest by crossing plains and lakelands, then entering King's Landing where the Blackwaters loom around the city. Then we are going to indulge in the riverlands, we have Harrenal with its stadium up west, even with the reminder of Dragons breathing fire burning it depicted on the hills! Furthermore, we have Winterfell with its huge walls, even though I wonder why Jon's already put a dragon on the entrance... and up there here comes the Wall, with Eastwatch-by-the-sea and Westwatch by the bridge, with some interesting Children of the Forest painting out west even! I didn't realize the Others had such an advanced industrial city up there in the glaciers!

Stupidity from A song of ice and fire aside, I really dig the UK environment, even though, from the player going around, I feel like we should genuinely worry whether we risk another Alola syndrome: a.k.a. an apparently huge, filled with potential map but with an entirely botched execution for exploration (looking at you, Wela Volcano). I see huge spaces on the interior part of the map that troubles me as potential filler. I'd like to give GF and TPC some leeway here, though: now they're up against toughest competition, and they need to deliver.

On paper, the region looks fantastic. I really thank the user who spotted the two-ways-of travelling-potential, I didn't realize that for every route there is basically a by-foot/Tauros route and a rail one. We probably would need to travel the region twice at least, they're likely setting up shortcuts via train.

Stadiums watch:

View attachment 162874 first one in King's Landing

View attachment 162875 Harrenal's

View attachment 162876 Eastern one, the only open space with potential Water interaction.

View attachment 162877 Eastwatch by the Sea's

View attachment 162878 Opposite of the former one

View attachment 162879 Slightly up North

View attachment 162880 in the Northenest city

I count 7 of them, I'm wonder where the missing one is:

• if it's located in dragontown (there's a potential stadium like building with a tower on it), our hometown and the entire southern area will be fairly isolated and one-dimensional;
  • if one of the buildings down South is a stadium/gym, then Dragontown could be the final city/Pokemon League because, regardless:
  • If the skyscraper with a dome up North is indeed the Pokemon League, we've never had a gym so close to it, or a Pokemon League so entrenched in a city. They're usually very, very isolated.
Regardless, both Dragontown and Bigbentown have tall, large buildings with a larger last store, all red flags for the Pokemon League.

Regarding the starters, I like 'em all, but:

1. Grookey looks the most appealing to me. I am getting a Conkeldurr-Oranguru hybrid vibe (like a trunk swinging gorilla), and I would love it. When I heard him in the background doing the cane-batting thing I was over-joyful.
  2. Scorbunny looks like a fast running speedster. The design I like the least so far, probably because it's the one interacting less with environment/objects (no, running up a factory doesn't count).
  3. Sobble looks like the most plain, but also already in-depth characterized.
Also, was I the only one thinking that the scene of Sobble extinguishing Scorbunny's footprints appeared gross? It looked someone was urinating on it.

Either way, obvious Pokemon hype is obvious. I will try to go dark as soon as the legends are revealed: it's been since generation IV that I have not walked a patch of grass not knowing what Pokemon design I might encounter, and that was one of the most thrilling vibes of Pokemon of old.

Going to breed the hell out of USUM to have everything ready in a fancy ball and with tons of transferable Egg Moves for the new mons. Better be prepared, maybe they will add some new features to breeding (like cross-species ball inheritance) that will drive collectors like me crazy. Guess I'm opening a third trade thread soon.
Awesome post!
English folklore is perfectly exemplified, so this is an example of inspiration from another culture rather than copying another franchise!
Maybe my views on the trailer were disappointed but your post makes it seem all worth getting the game now.

You totally changed my mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)