Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Regigigas's BST is 670, but it's Ability cuts its Attack & Speed in half for five turns (which I guess makes it as if its BST is 540 as it loses 80 is Attack and 50 in Speed).
Oh, it's even worse than that! :')
It halves not only the base stat but its EVs and IVs, so depending on how you choose to invest, a Regigigas with perfect IVs is equivalent to... anywhere from base 71 uninvested to base 55.25 fully invested in Attack, or base 41 uninvested to base 25.25 fully invested in Speed.
It's really quite tragic.

The Titans-as-keys issue is also pretty interesting - Regigigas is actually explicitly confirmed to be the being that created the original trio (see its Pokédex entries starting in Platinum and HGSS); the humans who sealed it away somehow made them into its "keys" unexplained, but arguably no weirder than making it possible to use literally any wild Wailord and Relicanth as keys to the Sealed Chamber, so like--, but they were originally Regigigas's own creations.

That said, I totally agree with the speculation that the new duo is a more recent creation - they definitely look out of place amongst the other three (even just in concept/the kind of materials they incorporate), and the fact that they share a temple rather than trying to fit in with the others further cements that this isn't an accident or a failure of design or anything. They're definitely meant as a distinct pair and trio rather than a complete quintet, and I'm so interested to find out why.
(I also really like the idea that they were man-made and inspired by Regigigas's creations rather than also made by Regigigas.)
This is definitely the most exciting part of the DLC for me! The Titans are my second-favorite "minor Legendary" group, so I'm happy that they're getting some new lore at such an unexpected time. I'm actually probably not gonna get the DLC, but I'm so ready to read up on all of the new lore and watch Let's Plays, haha.
Also totally on board for a G-Max Regigigas that somehow bypasses Slow Start!

Barely related, but since I haven't said a word about Crown Tundra's minor Legendaries until today: shoutouts to the Galarian Legendary Birds for being inexplicably amazing? I honestly don't love the majority of Galar's regional variants Cursola is 100% perfect though, and the Legendary Birds have been the least interesting trio by far... like... ever since they weren't the only trio, but the new designs are full of so much personality and I love them. Galarian Articuno strikes the exact balance of "beautiful" and "silly" that defines my taste in Pokémon.

Last edited:
As we can see on Serebii, the wild area has shifted for the weekend, giving us a chance for legit 5IV Dittos! (got two last night :blobthumbsup: )

Aside from completing all the raids in your instance to get a new list, are there ways to use Wishing Piece to target these Ditto raids with less randomness than pure random? Like going for particular dens? I'm not sure how the events work relative to normal dens and haven't read much about the odds for normal dens.

I know it's Easter-themed but the 100% chance for a Boiled Egg really weirds me out.
I genuinely didn't even know the item existed before this. I never used the curry mechanic so every max raid event is a new and exciting time for me to see what weird food items are in this game

This might be just wishlisting, but...

Primal Regigigas. Please.
I've said this from the day ORAS came out, but the fact that we didn't get Primal Regis is a damn shame and a thematic failure (the weather motif even works, and hell just give Primal Registeel Primal Air Lock that weakens Fire/Water moves by 30%)

maybe if we're lucky Gamefreak adds in Primal Regis...or at least gives them some more new moves than just the datamined ones (SHORE UP REGIROCK, RECOVER REGICE, PAIN SPLIT REGISTEEL).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I wouldn’t mind seeing a Galarian Regigigas. As long as it doesn’t have Slow Start
Or, considering the reason we have the Galarian Variants with an extra evolution stage is seemingly because GF doesn't want to mess with the originals, maybe we'll get a Galarian Regigigas that can Gigantamax.

We just had a big discussion about the Regi and what we know is that Regigigas made them. And we can see that reflected in Regigigas design. And the three current Regi were enough for the ancient people of Hoenn (and other locations) to act as keys to seal away Regigigas. So, that got me re-thinking: why the two new Regi? At first I assumed they were newer creations... but with all the talk of Galarian Regigigas it got me thinking: what if Galarian Regigigas made 5 Regi instead of 3? BUT, why would it need to make 5? Well, 3 Regi are enough to seal away a normal Regigigas, so mabye a Galarian Regigigas had more power than a normal Regigigas and so required 5 servants/keys to seal it. And the only thing (well, not the only but one which makes sense with this gen's theme) I could think of is that Galarian Regigigas can Gigantamax. We have the original 3 Regi to seal the body (being they're made of physical elements a body could be made from: rock, ice, & steel) but for the Gigantamax that needs 2 extra (and they seemingly represent raw energy: electricity and draconic power). If I were designing what a Galarain Regigigas would look like, I'd invert the black & white parts of its body and replace its foliage with electricity on the right & navy colored flames on the left (maybe also flip its face band upside down so it's not a complete color swap, maybe also rearrange the body markings and order of the Regi gemstones).

Now whether it'll have Slow Start or not who knows. Part of me would like it not to... but then what Ability would it have instead? Yet another Legendary Signature Ability? It's why I'm more adamant for a Gigantamax Regigigas than a Galarian as with it you have something to work with: the G-Max move.

I've said this from the day ORAS came out, but the fact that we didn't get Primal Regis is a damn shame and a thematic failure (the weather motif even works, and hell just give Primal Registeel Primal Air Lock that weakens Fire/Water moves by 30%)
Well you can't just slap Primal Reversion on any Pokemon. For one thing it has to be an ancient Pokemon like Kyogre and Groudon are; I think this would disqualify at least the Regi Trio as they feel like relatively newer creations. Now I guess there was nothing disqualifying Regigigas though another factor to consider about Primal Reversion is that for a Pokemon to do it they would need to selfishly absorb massive amounts of raw Infinity Energy from the planet. This is the reason why Rayquaza doesn't have a Primal Reversion, for it to do so it would be hurting the planet it's trying to protect (meanwhile Kyogre and Groudon are essentially trying to terraform the planet to their liking thus don't care the damage their causing). I would also think Regigigas is with Rayquaza in that regard, it finished its job moving the continents around to the way it likes it and would try to prevent anything from trying to change it; which includes NOT absorbing raw Infinity Energy from the planet.

I don't really see the weather theming working with the Regi; I can see it working with the Legendary Birds (Articuno getting Snow Warning, Zapdos getting Drizzle, and Moltres getting Drought). To me the Regi would more focus on more physical Abilities that makes them last longer in battle (Regirock getting Solid Rock, Regice getting Snow Cloak, and Registeel getting Heatproof).

I do want more primals, but I think the Mon that needs it the most is Kyuurem to represent the original dragon.
I don't think a Primal Kyurem would be an Original Dragon, though. The Original Dragon would be Kyurem fusing with both Zekrom & Reshiram somehow.

The only other Pokemon I can see getting a Primal Form would maybe be Xerneas and Yveltal.

Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem, Zacian, & Zamazenta I don't think are old enough.
Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Cosmog family, Necrozma, and Eternatus are aliens so are likely incapable.
Zygarde is a guardian force like Rayquaza so wouldn't absorb the Infinity Energy out of principle.
And all other Legendaries are likely not strong enough to absorb the Infinity Energy without harming themselves.

Last edited:
Well, 3 Regi are enough to seal away a normal Regigigas, so mabye a Galarian Regigigas had more power than a normal Regigigas and so required 5 servants/keys to seal it.
To clarify, the original trio wasn't originally intended to be Regigigas's keys - it made them on its own (for whatever its own reasons may have been), and then the humans who sealed it away also decided to make them the keys to unlock it again, REALLY ambiguously defined mechanisms at work here, but seemingly the same way they did that with Relicanth and Wailord - not because it was the original purpose of the Pokémon but because it was the Pokémon they chose. I'm not totally sure if I'm following the thought process there - Galarian Regigigas being stronger means humans would eventually want to seal it away even more than they wanted to seal away Regigigas... so those humans would eventually want to have five keys... so Galarian Regigigas made five servants for itself?

That aside, I hugely appreciate that you've raised the point of what "Primal Reversion" actually means!
I am very convinced that Primal Reversion is way more specific to Kyogre and Groudon than people seem to realize - despite what the name "Primal Reversion" would suggest, it's really not just a "generic ancient Pokémon thing" where <insert formerly strong Pokémon here> goes back to the way it used to be back when it was stronger.
What we understand of Mega Evolution is something like this: by tapping into an external catalyst, a Pokémon is draws out power that already exists within it but is dormant (Lysandre says it this way: "According to Professor Sycamore's research, Mega Evolution releases all of a Pokémon's hidden energy at once. [...] Do all people and Pokémon have such potential, or is it hidden within a chosen few?"). We even have examples - from both before and after Primal Reversion was introduced - of Mega Evolution drawing forth a more powerful state from the past: Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Lopunny are both said to be more like the way their species used to be, and Mega Ampharos is implied in its Ultra Moon entry to be another case of this.

Fundamentally, Primal Reversion is almost exactly the same thing as Mega Evolution: a Pokémon unleashing its own "true power" by tapping into an external power source as a catalyst. The quality that sets it apart isn't the fact that it's the Pokémon's original form, because, again, there are several Mega Evolutions like that, too - the actual difference is just what kind of catalyst causes the transformation: instead of drawing on a bond with a Trainer or the power of a Key Stone, Primal Reversion has the Pokémon pull directly from the energy of nature.
The important thing is that Kyogre and Groudon are extremely power-hungry (and extremely powerful) Pokémon that are tied to nature's energy in a more or less unique way; they're characterized by their thirst for raw natural energy and their willingness to fight one another for dominance over the entire planet's supply of it. The fact that they change forms through Primal Reversion instead of Mega Evolution is just to express this side of them - because Kyogre and Groudon are so selfish and so power-hungry but also so capable of dominating over nature, they just take that power for themselves instead of relying on a bond with their Trainer and a Mega Stone. It's their way of Mega Evolving, but they can do it by themselves.
(For reference, the official site for ORAS had this to say about Primal Reversion:
"It was a primal age, early in the world's history... The natural world was overflowing with energy. That energy granted Groudon and Kyogre an overwhelming power. Seeking ever more of that energy for themselves, the two clashed again and again, and their battles cast the people and Pokémon of Hoenn into great danger. Brimming with the overwhelming power granted by the energy of nature, this transformation was named by later people 'Primal Reversion.' And the people called their tormentors Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre.")
On the whole, I think people suggesting specifically Primal Reversion as "the Legendary version" or "the ancient Pokémon version" of Mega Evolution are just mistaken as to what the mechanic even represents although, in fairness, the presentation and explanation are all over the place and I do not really blame them. A Pokémon like Kyurem doesn't really fit with the lore of the mechanic in the first place - the Original Dragon requires something that has been separated from Kyurem, not something dormant within it, and taking natural energy for itself to reach its true power also doesn't really fit because it's a benevolent Pokémon that's kind of all about its bond with humans. Meanwhile, I guess Regigigas has most of the pieces in place - it was pretty important to shaping the world and it does have innate potential to reach a much greater "true power" - but we've also never seen any hint that it thirsts for natural energy and wants to dominate the world, and those were pretty big elements of Kyogre and Groudon right from the start. And don't get me started on people wanting Primal Dialga and Primal Palkia, translation issues or not...

Primal Reversion is also an objectively bad mechanic because the only differences between this and an out-of-battle form change like Giratina (Origin Forme) are that Groudon takes less damage from Stealth Rock the first time it switches in (unimportant) and you can't play with them in Refresh (VERY IMPORTANT) and I think I would much rather have it the other way around

To be honest, I've also always kinda thought that asking for something else to get a Primal Reversion is like asking for the Lake Trio to get Therian Formes, or Marshadow to get a Resolute Form, or Bellossom to get an Overcast Form... I mean, you could, and I'm sure some other Pokémon could have a tangential flavor justification in line with any precise in-world definition of the form, but it seems pretty clear that it was always supposed to be a one-off that was specific to this one group of Pokémon, and giving it wider distribution is less like doing justice to a major mechanic and more like taking away "their thing?"

Last thing:
Now whether it'll have Slow Start or not who knows. Part of me would like it not to... but then what Ability would it have instead?
I think we all know it would have to be a Mold Breaker clone. But this time, it bypasses Full Metal Body, Shadow Shield and Prism Armor.

Edit: yep, and Zenith Marshadow is actually exactly why I used that example! It's about the closest anything is ever going to get to having the same arbitrary one-off form change as Keldeo - it's literally a Fighting-type Mythical that practices by mimicking others' fighting styles, and this is its purely aesthetic form difference for when it comes into itself and is associated with a particular move only it can learn - but it still has a different name and works in a different way. No matter how close you get in flavor and function to Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre, I feel like the same will hold: it won't be a Primal Reversion, because there will be some minor difference or other and they'll call it something else rather than giving the same one-off form change to an unrelated old Legendary.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To clarify, the original trio wasn't originally intended to be Regigigas's keys - it made them on its own (for whatever its own reasons may have been), and then the humans who sealed it away also decided to make them the keys to unlock it again, REALLY ambiguously defined mechanisms at work here, but seemingly the same way they did that with Relicanth and Wailord - not because it was the original purpose of the Pokémon but because it was the Pokémon they chose. I'm not totally sure if I'm following the thought process there - Galarian Regigigas being stronger means humans would eventually want to seal it away even more than they wanted to seal away Regigigas... so those humans would eventually want to have five keys... so Galarian Regigigas made five servants for itself?
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Since the Galarian Regigigas would have a Gigantamax my thought is that it would just naturally create more Regis because it has the extra power to do so. It's simply a more power = can do more thought.

Marshadow to get a Resolute Form
Technically Marshadow does, Zenith Marshadow, but it's a form only accessible when it's using its Z-Move.

If I were to give an alternate form or something to a Pokemon it would be Zeraora.

I think we all know it would have to be a Mold Breaker clone. But this time, it bypasses Full Metal Body, Shadow Shield and Prism Armor.
Though note if they just gave it a normal Ability they would likely have to lower its BST and likely its tremendous Attack. Which of course would go against wanting a Regigigas without Slow Start, you want that power but it has a power limiter essentially. It's why I think a normal Regigigas just having a Gigantamax with a G-Max move that specifically made to nullify Slow Start is more ideal than a Galarian Regigigas.

I had no idea that uhhhhh... "form" of Marshadow (it also turns into that when it uses any move, not just the z move) had not only a name, but official artwork.

Friendly reminder it took Zen Mode Darmanitan until the gen 7 guidebook to get official artwork and Galarian Zen Mode Darmanitan doesnt have artwork at all.

I'm not too fond of the idea of other Pokémon getting 'primal' reversions. If we're just talking about the concept of them getting new forms which in some way involves them becoming more primitive and powerful? Then hell yeah; but I'd rather it not be called primal reversion. It's quite clearly a term which applies specifically to Groudon and Kyogre and is something unique to them.

Well its almost the end of this month and we haven't received this month's update.
To be fair it's not like we got a DLC update in February either. Zarude was separate from the DLC.
And if we're just looking at any news at all then we learned about Zarude's signature move, complete with an update on the main website and new official artwork of the move.

Well seeing as the entire world is under threat of an epidemic, I wouldn't hold my breath. In fact, there is a pretty high chance the dlcs will be delayed at this rate.
While true (the anime just went on hiatus, most notably) it's not like everything has come to a standstill. If they want to give news they can and will. Especially if it's delayed.

That said I don't expect any more news this month unless it's an emergency delay. Pokemon's been pretty stingy even before the virus hit.

Gamefreak member tests positive for coronavirus, they will continue working regadless
I.. honestly don't know how to feel about their decision, like officially they should be fine but this seems somewhat reckless

nobody will blame you if you delay things in the face of a pandemic Gamefreak, take care of yourselves
Gargle?

Last edited:
Well I mean the statement literally says that they've been working from home for the past 22 days and have been taking other precautions. The employee likely caught it from their day to day activities after going into stay at home mode. So there...really...isn't a reason to shut down the entire company especially if it's a situation where the employees dont get paid.

To put it another way, my company has told us to work from home since March. If anyone in the [my regional] office caught Covid during this at-home period there's no actual reason to close down teh entire office: There's no one there, the work is not putting me at risk of catching covid and the job does not require anyone go into it as a vector. This way everyone gets to remain employed, get paid (even if it's at lower hours) and (more relevant for america than it is japan due to the health systems) retain healthcare.

Contrast with: Smash Bros. Sakurai's said that their job (at the namco offices) makes it very difficult to work from home. SO if someone gets covid there they DO have to shut down. There's not an alternative (or at least not one all the people can take).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)