Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Remember, however, that Regigigas has 100 base speed and 160 base attack (paired with great-albeit-low BP attacking coverage, Knock+Slam alone is pretty solid though) which alongside phenomenal bulk makes it another league above stuff like Snorlax (slow, exploitable physdef, 50 less attack) or Porygon-Z (slower and frailer, but stronger STAB).

This thing has incredible stats, I think it would at least see usage with an neutral ability like Clear Body. If the low BP moves are really a concern just think of it as base 110 attack with strong attacks lol
And that's fine and all, but remember, with DLC2 100 base speed is no longer ""fast"", and we're talking of a mono-normal type in a generation where everyone and their grandmother got Close Combat via TR.
I don't doubt Pory-Z will as well drop off a cliff once the DLC hits, and Snorlax never to be seen again.

Remember, however, that Regigigas has 100 base speed and 160 base attack (paired with great-albeit-low BP attacking coverage, Knock+Slam alone is pretty solid though) which alongside phenomenal bulk makes it another league above stuff like Snorlax (slow, exploitable physdef, 50 less attack) or Porygon-Z (slower and frailer, but stronger STAB).

This thing has incredible stats, I think it would at least see usage with an neutral ability like Clear Body. If the low BP moves are really a concern just think of it as base 110 attack with strong attacks lol
Kyurem B has incredible stats but it isn't broken... err, wasn't for a while anyway. Multiple Megas managed to be fair despite abilities that effectively boosted base stat total (Medicham, Mawile etc). There's also three of the four Tapus that in 7th gen remaining OU despite getting a massive 50% STAB bonus. Raw stats isn't always enough to break something.

Regigigas's strongest two STABs are Mega Kick and Crush Claw. Crush Claw is fucking bad lol and Mega Kick is grossly inaccurate leaving it with Body Slam. If we pretend Body Slam is a 100 base power STAB then Regigigas's most powerful attack is hitting only as hard as a 128 base power STAB EQ would. Strong by almost every metric but far from overpowered.

Yeah it gets elemental punches and Drain Punch but they're all 75 BP or less. There's also Knock Off which can be as weak as 65.

It does get EQ / Stone Edge / Heavy Slam so it's certainly capable of covering its bases but non-STABed attacks are significantly weaker. No doubt ability-less Gigas would be very, very strong and if Gamefreak has any sense of balance would ban it. But I think it could maybe be fair in OU.

252+ Atk Choice Band Regigigas Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 171-202 (40.7 - 48%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon on a critical hit: 210-247 (50 - 58.8%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def (??? type) Hippowdon in Grassy Terrain: 262-309 (62.3 - 73.5%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 183-216 (43.5 - 51.4%)

252+ Atk Guts Obstagoon Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 189-223 (45 - 53%)

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def (??? type) Hippowdon: 180-216 (42.8 - 51.4%)

I guess my point is its damage output is high but far from incomparable to other things in OU. For example the standard "Rocky Helm phys def regenerator + switch in" standard used to deal with Urshifu does just fine at taking on Banded Gigas. Of course you could run Mega Kick which has the advantage of insane power output but runs the risk of missing and doesn't grant para hax. Also you can run Sub + Lefties or something over Band but then you're giving up a LOT of power (Fire Punch sometimes only 4HKOs Skarmory!). Imo it's a bulkier and slightly faster but much weaker Urshifu with worse typing.

But if it's of any concern Gamefreak could ban it from VGC and Smogon can sit on it for 8 months before finally banning it from OU. I don't have an issue with Gigas getting a better ability.

Well if Regigigas does get a Gigantamax with such a G-Max honestly that would be the only reason you'd have it on your team. As R_N said, if they gave Regigigas another Ability it would be another negative Ability which at that point why bother? Just work around the negative Ability it got.
Yeah, you're right honestly and either way, I'll be happy to catch the Regis again and I'm sure I'll make a for fun team around it

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Kyurem B has incredible stats but it isn't broken... err, wasn't for a while anyway. Multiple Megas managed to be fair despite abilities that effectively boosted base stat total (Medicham, Mawile etc). There's also three of the four Tapus that in 7th gen remaining OU despite getting a massive 50% STAB bonus. Raw stats isn't always enough to break something.

Regigigas's strongest two STABs are Mega Kick and Crush Claw. Crush Claw is fucking bad lol and Mega Kick is grossly inaccurate leaving it with Body Slam. If we pretend Body Slam is a 100 base power STAB then Regigigas's most powerful attack is hitting only as hard as a 128 base power STAB EQ would. Strong by almost every metric but far from overpowered.

Yeah it gets elemental punches and Drain Punch but they're all 75 BP or less. There's also Knock Off which can be as weak as 65.

It does get EQ / Stone Edge / Heavy Slam so it's certainly capable of covering its bases but non-STABed attacks are significantly weaker. No doubt ability-less Gigas would be very, very strong and if Gamefreak has any sense of balance would ban it. But I think it could maybe be fair in OU.

252+ Atk Choice Band Regigigas Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 171-202 (40.7 - 48%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon on a critical hit: 210-247 (50 - 58.8%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def (??? type) Hippowdon in Grassy Terrain: 262-309 (62.3 - 73.5%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 183-216 (43.5 - 51.4%)

252+ Atk Guts Obstagoon Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 189-223 (45 - 53%)

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def (??? type) Hippowdon: 180-216 (42.8 - 51.4%)

I guess my point is its damage output is high but far from incomparable to other things in OU. For example the standard "Rocky Helm phys def regenerator + switch in" standard used to deal with Urshifu does just fine at taking on Banded Gigas. Of course you could run Mega Kick which has the advantage of insane power output but runs the risk of missing and doesn't grant para hax. Also you can run Sub + Lefties or something over Band but then you're giving up a LOT of power (Fire Punch sometimes only 4HKOs Skarmory!). Imo it's a bulkier and slightly faster but much weaker Urshifu with worse typing.

But if it's of any concern Gamefreak could ban it from VGC and Smogon can sit on it for 8 months before finally banning it from OU. I don't have an issue with Gigas getting a better ability.
It’s not necessarily a wallbreaker. A set of Body Slam/Knock Off/Toxic/EQ or whatever would be pretty decent when you have the (once again) absurd natural bulk of 110/110/110. It don’t think it would be broken in OU, but I doubt it would be irrelevant. At at the very least trade 1 for 1 with a large amount of pokemon and can just sit on a stupid amount of threats.

Now that I read further I think we agree on it being good in OU lol, but sheer wallbreaker definitely won’t be it’s forte imo. It’ll be like a fast lax that hits much harder

It’s not necessarily a wallbreaker. A set of Body Slam/Knock Off/Toxic/EQ or whatever would be pretty decent when you have the (once again) absurd natural bulk of 110/110/110. It don’t think it would be broken in OU, but I doubt it would be irrelevant. At at the very least trade 1 for 1 with a large amount of pokemon and can just sit on a stupid amount of threats.

Now that I read further I think we agree on it being good in OU lol, but sheer wallbreaker definitely won’t be it’s forte imo. It’ll be like a fast lax that hits much harder
That's fair and all, but the whole ""can't get a real ability"" (as I have to remind you) should only be regarded factoring VGC.
Daily reminder Smogon doesn't exist as far as GF goes.

It wouldn't be particularly amazing in VGC considering as I said, with all the legendaryes coming back, the power creep will shot up a ton and it'll likely be tapu fiesta to begin with.

BSS, one could make a point for it, but since afaik BSS is the reign of who can abuse Dynamax to setup better, I don't think Regigigas has the movepool to do it...

I was about to post that physical versions of the DLC means that prerelease leaked copies of Crown Tundra would now be a potential thing, unlike Isle of Armor.

...Then I remembered that the physical versions were delayed 2 weeks after the digital :blobsad:

One could even guess that this was done specifically to prevent that. Oh well.
It could still happen, since they're still being manufactured and probably sat on for a while.

Obviously we don't know too much about the cart manufacturing -> distributing process, but from past events it seems to take about a month between "code and testing is finalized" and "carts are in players' hands". In between, they have to make/get millions of carts, load the data onto all of them, package them all up nicely, then ship to retailers worldwide in time for them to get the packages organized in warehouses/storerooms/shelves. At some point in between, Nintendo no longer has direct control over the data and leaks become possible.

Digging through the archives, it looks like SwSh first leaked exactly 2 weeks before release date. (Maybe it takes 2 weeks for all the carts to be manufactured, and 2 weeks for all the shipping to retailers?) Applying this guessed timeline to Crown Tundra, the physical version would get to the first person who could plausibly leak it...right around the time the digital version is already being released to players.

Applying this guessed timeline to Crown Tundra, the physical version would get to the first person who could plausibly leak it...right around the time the digital version is already being released to players.
That's not how it works.

DLC is still digital. You just get the game "flagged" for it, but the data doesn't get downloaded until the day it goes live.
That should count also for the "bundle", good chance it just includes a code to activate the DLC.

It's impossible to datamine the DLCs since they don't have a phisical version.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
That's not how it works.

DLC is still digital. You just get the game "flagged" for it, but the data doesn't get downloaded until the day it goes live.
That should count also for the "bundle", good chance it just includes a code to activate the DLC.

It's impossible to datamine the DLCs since they don't have a phisical version.
I think what he's tryna say is that by the time the physical leaks happen the digital version will already be available or only maybe 1 or 2 days out from launch

I think what he's tryna say is that by the time the physical leaks happen the digital version will already be available or only maybe 1 or 2 days out from launch
But what I am trying to say is that there's no physical version at all.

The "bundle" they are selling is going to just be the normal game + code to enter on the Nintendo Shop for the DLC. I have yet to see a company make "phisical DLCs" for their games.

The case explicitly says that the cart will include the Expansion Pass data and that the Expansion Pass doesn't need to be separately downloaded. Yeah, surprised me too when it was announced.
That art is... just awful. It's like a 16 year old did it after an hour in a graphic design class. Seriously that just says "fuck it, the fans will buy it anyway". I know box art isn't very important in the long run but... come on Gamefreak could you at least pretend to care?

That art is... just awful. It's like a 16 year old did it after an hour in a graphic design class. Seriously that just says "fuck it, the fans will buy it anyway". I know box art isn't very important in the long run but... come on Gamefreak could you at least pretend to care?
Which part of the box art looks awful?

The case explicitly says that the cart will include the Expansion Pass data and that the Expansion Pass doesn't need to be separately downloaded. Yeah, surprised me too when it was announced.
That just means it’s updated to the latest version, as with most game rereleases

Which part of the box art looks awful?
It's three official art pictures slapped onto a white background with some green / yellow at the bottom. I know Pokemon games aren't particularly "exciting" with their box art but even recent games put more effort into it than this. Compare it to even the Sun Moon box art.

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon - Wikipedia

Even XY had better color coordination.

Pokemon X and Y Version Differences - Pokemon X and Y Wiki Guide - IGN

ORAS nailed it.

Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire Box Art With An E10 Rating - pokémon  fã Art (37198574) - fanpop

Idk, I feel like they could have paid an artist on DeviantART 75 dollars to slap something decent together instead of what they made instead. Gamefreak if you're listening I'll do it for 50!!!

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Idk, I feel like they could have paid an artist on DeviantART 75 dollars to slap something decent together instead of what they made instead.
Or they could have just taken TCG art: Zacian & Zamazenta.
Though they could still do more to also show it has the DLC, like maybe place Zacian somewhere on the Isle of Armor, the players (in their Dojo uniform) and Kubfu ready to battle it, and somewhere in the background sky we see Calyrex. For Zamazenta it would be someplace in the Crowned Tundra, the players (in their Exploration uniform) with the Galarian Legendary Birds & new Regi also around, and somewhere in the background we see the silhouttes of the Gigantamax Urshifu. Both focusing on a different part of the DLCs with the Legendary of the other DLC also being prominent.

Or they could have just taken TCG art: Zacian & Zamazenta.
Though they could still do more to also show it has the DLC, like maybe place Zacian somewhere on the Isle of Armor, the players (in their Dojo uniform) and Kubfu ready to battle it, and somewhere in the background sky we see Calyrex. For Zamazenta it would be someplace in the Crowned Tundra, the players (in their Exploration uniform) with the Galarian Legendary Birds & new Regi also around, and somewhere in the background we see the silhouttes of the Gigantamax Urshifu. Both focusing on a different part of the DLCs with the Legendary of the other DLC also being prominent.
The Pokemon TCG has consistently had great art. I used to play a lot of Magic the Gathering and even their most fancy full art foil cards don't even come close to any of the Pokemon equivalents.

card-card-4.png
Dialga-EX

Amazon.com: Pokemon Card SM Sky Legend Moltres & Zapdos & Articuno GX  060/054 SR SM10b JP: Toys & Games

That stained glass bird trio is my new religion.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hah, to me it looks like Zacian is even rolling its eyes here. That expression really screams "Why do I have to put up with this crap..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)