Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Region seems to be based off Britain because of Big Ben and that Industrial Revolution/steam engine feel we saw throughout the trailer (watch as the Professor is James Watt-styled), but I wonder about the wolves in the games' art.
Are wolves traditionally associated with Britain?
I thought they were the symbol of more Scandinavian people (Vikings come to mind but I'm sure that's not it).
Could it be the villain team will be Scandinavian-themed?

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Galar is wordplay off of Gallant and Valor (thanks CAP discord)

Really happy at most designs so far, only one not doing it for me is Grookey, but Sobble and especially Scorbunny are cute as heck. Really bloody excited for this game.

Having a British region makes me really want at least a couple of Tolkien shout-outs. His work “On Fairy Stories” sought to disprove the misconception that “Fairy” only consisted of the tiny sprite creatures we’re used to thinking about, so maybe it paves the way for an awesome Elf-Knight fairy type at least.

Thinking bigger we could get a frickin’ Eye-of-Saur-Mon :)

Well, this is awesome. I love it. The UK region looks awesome, the starters all look great, but I'm team Sobble for life. Sobble may be the best Pokemon name in the history of ever imo, I love saying it. I can't wait to hear more!

Don't forget the wording they had before the direct and during the direct

"Get ready for the path to greatness"

The region being basically vertical might imply that the "basic plot" of the game this time is about ascension / grandeour / valor, which would perfectly suit the Sword/Shield knightly combination, as well as the wolves or lions.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Care to elaborate? I've got a longer post in mind too, but might wait for the thread to cool down before I post it.
Engine is USUM in HD graphics, literally zero changes in battle mode. I swear I couldn't spot a single difference between the trailer battles and any USUM one that came to my mind. This also means lol flying models.

Ohmori is in charge. This means more of ORAS/SM dumbfuckery. I do not expect any postgame, there will be even more dumbing down (I'm not talking about QoL changes here), and there's a legit chance of innumerable cutscenes. Hopefully we'll be able to skip this time.

No overworld pokemon, no following pokemon. So the cool bits of LGPE were trashed. They do not even have a proper excuse considering SM had all those walking/running animations.

Starters suck but that's pure personal opinion lmao.

GYMS ARE BACK FFS WHY. I don't care if the Trials would not be back because they're cultural-specific; just do literally anything else instead of resurrecting obsolete shit.

This will just be Sun/Moon 3: Revenge of the Fallen.

I like all starters but Sobble is my pick. I'm getting Fire/Fighting vibes from the rabbit. Hope i'm wrong though.

Wonder what that soccer stadium is. Pokemon League? I hope it's something like the Pokeathlon.

Edit: The stadium in the image below.

Last edited:
Engine is USUM in HD graphics, literally zero changes in battle mode. I swear I couldn't spot a single difference between the trailer battles and any USUM one that came to my mind. This also means lol flying models.
You're incorrect.

The engine is actually quite clearly Let's Go engine, just with 1 year of development more. Pokemon attacks and movements resemble a lot the ones in that game, including some a bit more personalized animations rather than "i jump forward and an animation plays" of 3ds games.

Considering the playerbase has demanded for about 6 months at this point to *keep* standard gyms and go back to standard battle mechanic (as it was expected, nontheless), I am afraid yours will stay as unpopular opinion :P

Sobble is ADORABLE, and totally resembles a chameleon (IMO its Hidden Ability should be either Color Change or Protean). First time since Gen II I'm taking the Water-type starter.

I was disappointed by the fact we're back to random encounters, though.

Last edited:
I think the starters look great, but, much more importantly, the region looks absolutely tiny. I sure hope the map is not showing everything as the Gen VII maps did, but barring that this is pretty much a disaster.

I took a royal shit-ton of screenshots in 720p. Noticed there are a bunch of lightning bolt and "X" symbols/runes strewn about.
-There's a purple house/mansion that shows upseveral times in the trailer and matches up with a building depicted at the bottom of the map
-There's a wheelbarrow outside your house which is conducive with the art that looks like we start in a provincial farmland area
-the only large city we see is the red-brick one with the parliament tower, but damn that town looks MASSIVE. high potential for exploring
-the gyms are all stadiums now? New theming to the way that we battle? Mechanics appear to be exactly the same.
-pretty gem cave is pretty. Also, obligatory place to evolve Nosepass and Magneton is obligatory.
-The chalk-horse drawn in to the hillside requires further discussion
-LIBRARY! The graphics are accommodating enough to display a ton of books in a larger room.
-I like that we're wearing full-on backpacks instead of shoulderbags again.

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
You're incorrect.

The engine is actually quite clearly Let's Go engine, just with 1 year of development more. Pokemon attacks and movements resemble a lot the ones in that game, including some a bit more personalized animations rather than "i jump forward and an animation plays" of 3ds games.
Oh at least it's something then. Still *looks* the same tho

Considering the playerbase has demanded for about 6 months at this point to *keep* standard gyms and go back to standard battle mechanic (as it was expected, nontheless), I am afraid yours will stay as unpopular opinion :P
I'm happy they kept the old battle system as LGPE's sucked; I was expecting graphical advancements. But lmao people wanted gyms back? What the hell.

Well the towns looked pretty empty so maybe they’ll add that stuff later? I get the apprehension though.
If they didn't add it now, they aren't adding it later. Hell, if they didn't add it in SM even though they had the models done, they aren't really ever adding it...

Interestingly the character models look closer in style/proportion to that of the S/M models, but with higher quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)