Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Honestly, Nintendo's greatest issues has always been having goat games but bad hardware. The Switch has been the easiest console to crack by far and it's literally just an underclocked NVIDIA Shield. I would've bought the Switch ages ago had it proven to be a proper handheld, but honestly I'm not interested in buying a mid-tier console that I can't comfortably play on-the-go due to how big the thing is. Anyhow, I think it's lower resolution compared to even Switch titles because Nintendo understands that most people will be (at least attempting) to play it on the go.

Dear lord though is the Switch way more uncomfortable than the 3DS. I doubt they can make the Switch a bit smaller and more comforting in your pocket without massive overheating issues either.
I can honestly say as someone who adored the 3DS as my favourite console for years, the moment I got a Switch I found it much more comfortable and it instantly overtook the handheld as my favourite. On paper I could see your arguments, but in hand is a completely different story.

That said, I just want to say that the issue isn't just that it looks worse than Switch games. A lot of people have been making comparisons to BotW and to me that doesn't get to the core of the issue -- this game doesn't even look as good as Wii's Skyward Sword.

The reality is, Game Freak for years - decades, even - have not had to deal with large hardware shifts. They've by and large only had to deal with the successive handheld being slightly better than the last, with the only huge jump being the 3DS. And even a jump like the 3DS shows a markedly large dip in quality; with great focus being put on models (which ended up not looking great) to the detriment of both content and game design compared to even the prior generation. Even the likes of Colosseum and Battle Revolution were done without their direct involvement beyond an overseeing level, so these workers have zero experience with this sort of thing. And it makes sense -- they only have a year 1/2 at best between each game, so they don't have a lot of time to get used to a new console in the same way Mario or Zelda or Kirby or Sonic or Metroid would. Games which have years upon years of development time between each mainline project with much bigger teams.

So now you're asking them - a team of under 200 - to jump from the 3DS, which wasn't even as powerful as the Wii, to a console even more powerful than the Wii's successor. It's no wonder to me these games visually do not look great, because you know what they look like? They look like 3DS games, only slightly better than USUM.

Game Freak as a company genuinely, genuinely worries me with its work schedule and I think even more than before we're seeing that reach its tipping point.

Anyway, we do know that we get Ingredient items, including a Bag of Potatoes, which might point to the cooking curry for 'mons a leak mentioned. Around that, notice that the girl (other player's avatar) mentioned it has been hers for several days, and be careful of it. Does this mean with this cooking feature, there are expiration date of the Ingredient items?

I'm intrigued in this Ingredient / cooking matter, being someone who cooks myself to save in real life.

What's dangerous though, is if the Ingredients are mainly obtained from them (or at least rare ones), since taking implication with the subscription-based Internet service, you could be walled hard in this department, although another part shows you can forage the items yourself (finding Pungent Root next to a lake). I'm hoping there's no rare stuffs only obtainable from other players walled by net subscription.

One of my hopes, with Yamper and it’s supposed evolution looking like physical electric types, is a new physical electric move. Thunder Fang and Thunder Punch have bad distribution, and the former is underpowered. Meanwhile Wild Charge dealing recoil is not ideal for an archetype not known for its HP stat.

CRoll and I will be having a chat about this thread at some point. We will likely be locking it much earlier than we intended too because you guys cannot move on from the Dex fiasco. We know it's a major discussion point, but I think everything that needed to be said has been. It's not going to be forgotten any time soon.

The decision GameFreak has made is shit, we all agree. If something changes, brilliant. But there is literally no need to keep going around in a depressive circle jerk over that decision. Come do it in the OI discord if you want.

As CRoll said a few pages back, discuss any other new stuff they have shown us. Max Raids, the Wild Area, the map, the new Pokémon (Which I have barely seen anyone post about). Lets just try and move onwards. I'll be monitoring this thread today and deleting posts I see about the dex stuff. Regardless of how you frame it.
Probably for the best to lock it, and maybe not even reopen the thread or make new ones for future announcements. As those would have similar comments of how them not announcing a change in po on the dex makes the whole thing a disappointment and the like.

Past mainline games (Gen6-7) have introduced stat changes for good chunk of Pokemon for either balance reasons or b/c reasons unknown. To start a new topic of discussion, which older Pokemon, if any, do you think may have their stats changed with Gen 8? Are there any Pokemon you wish to see have stat buffs/nerfs with the coming generation?

Do keep in mind that just because you like/dislike a Pokemon does not mean it needs stat changes. Think of it from a Gamefreak perspective.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Past mainline games (Gen6-7) have introduced stat changes for good chunk of Pokemon for either balance reasons or b/c reasons unknown. To start a new topic of discussion, which older Pokemon, if any, do you think may have their stats changed with Gen 8? Are there any Pokemon you wish to see have stat buffs/nerfs with the coming generation?

Do keep in mind that just because you like/dislike a Pokemon does not mean it needs stat changes. Think of it from a Gamefreak perspective.
Discussions like this quickly turn into wishlisting, which is against the OI rules, so I think we're letting that ball lie too. Historically, they've given buffs to old Pokémon seemingly at complete random. Alakazam got 10 added to its BST in Gen VI, and it's not like it needed it. So trying to discern patterns from Game Freak's behaviour is pretty futile, and we'll just end up with people wishing their favourites get buffed.

I'm a big fan of Impidimp from what we've seen so far. We haven't really had a real Imp/traditional demon-inspired Pokémon before, and not only is the Dark/Fairy type something I've wanted for a while; the first thing it's given to is just perfectly fitting. I'm so excited to see what this thing evolves into and it radiates so much cursed energy I adore it

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
I'd like to connect these games with go because of wild areas.

I honestly think they should've had an area Pokemon go related, but have it be completely optimal. That way, both Go players and non Go players can enjoy. Not like wild areas where we are forced into them.

How do you guys feel about that idea?

I honestly think they should've had an area Pokemon go related, but have it be completely optimal. That way, both Go players and non Go players can enjoy. Not like wild areas where we are forced into them.

I think that makes a lot of sense honestly. Have some town or facility dedicated to Go stuff.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm a big fan of Impidimp from what we've seen so far. We haven't really had a real Imp/traditional demon-inspired Pokémon before, and not only is the Dark/Fairy type something I've wanted for a while; the first thing it's given to is just perfectly fitting. I'm so excited to see what this thing evolves into and it radiates so much cursed energy I adore it
Not a huge fan of its design at the moment, but I can see it evolving into a vampire-like Pokémon, which would be pretty cool.
Typing would check out, as vampires can only come out during the night, and the moon has been closely associated with the Fairy typing (Moonblast/Moonlight come to mind).

And now imagine if the Champion is a actually a fraud as it's been theorized in this thread, and you battle him with Impidimp's evolution.

"What is a Champion? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

Another intriguing thing about Nessa is that we've seen Grookey battle her, simiarly to Milo.
Are they both early Gyms? Was Grookey just a placeholder mon of sorts? (though iirc Scorbunny was present as well in Nessa's trailer)
Are there Gyms that differ based on which Pokémon you chose as your starter, as someone already mentioned in this thread?
I imagine that they are among the first four. If we’re getting grass and water gyms, I assume we are also getting a fire one, to round out the trio. If the map is accurate I think we could also get steel, rock, and ice gyms based on stadium locations. Maybe dragon as well with that giant castle in the center? Though I think that could be the Elite 4.

Go players have nothing to do here. This is not Pokémon Go, Mystery Dungeon or Ranger. It's Gen 8 of the main franchise. That's the correct thinking, then you have what Game Freak does instead.

I think that makes a lot of sense honestly. Have some town or facility dedicated to Go stuff.
I was originally expecting a Go Park like Let'Go one, but the announcement of Home kinda makes that impossible.

Still no idea how the nature of Go transfers will be set, unless you are allowed to re-capture them once moved from Home.

Another intriguing thing about Nessa is that we've seen Grookey battle her, simiarly to Milo.
Are they both early Gyms? Was Grookey just a placeholder mon of sorts? (though iirc Scorbunny was present as well in Nessa's trailer)
Are there Gyms that differ based on which Pokémon you chose as your starter, as someone already mentioned in this thread?
Milo, Nessa and some other gym leaders named Kabu and Opal are the first ones.

Keep mobile games and all the bullshit related to them as far away as possible, please. That's how I feel about that idea.

Nintendo and Game Freak might not have sold the soul of their games to the microtransaction and gashapon devil yet,
but between small pieces of content locked behind amiibos, Mew locked behind a $50 meme controller and the whole Bank + Home fiasco,
we are awfully close.

Also, can anyone actually explain to me why Home is even a thing?
Bank exists and was supposed to carry this franchise into the future. Why not just update or expand that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)