Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Well some may not like that idea, but at least it's better than forcing it onto us like in the Let's go games catching system and the wild areas of Pokemon sword and shield

Past mainline games (Gen6-7) have introduced stat changes for good chunk of Pokemon for either balance reasons or b/c reasons unknown. To start a new topic of discussion, which older Pokemon, if any, do you think may have their stats changed with Gen 8? Are there any Pokemon you wish to see have stat buffs/nerfs with the coming generation?

Do keep in mind that just because you like/dislike a Pokemon does not mean it needs stat changes. Think of it from a Gamefreak perspective.
I don't have any pokemon in mind right now, but I swear Game Freak if you don't give Ice types a recap with more neutral resistances I will be mad. They just assumed the intent to bring ballance to the games.

It's not a big deal, just remove rock weakness and bring water and flying or even dragon resistances.
Oh, and trade the unreliable "frozen solid" status to something like "shivering cold", being similar to burn but S.Attack oriented.
Add Def. boost in hail and we are square.

Last edited:

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Especially in light of all of the negativity, I do want to re-emphasize two really great things that are happening with these games.

No more HM slaves (ever)
With us seeing the bike being able to cross water and Corviknight being HM Fly, it's safe to assume that just like in SM, there will be no need for HM slaves. This has been one of the most requested features in the franchise and there's no way that after two generations of not needing HM slaves (7 and 8), they'll create future games in which they're needed. Therefore, players will probably never need HM slaves again in any future Pokemon game, which is fantastic.

Wild Pokemon visibly moving around on the screen
I know that this is a deviation from how Pokemon has historically been, but to me this is a much better system. It's way more realistic (obviously Pokemon is just a game but this is how things would be if you were to roam around) and removes a lot of the annoyance from the games. In retrospect, it seems so silly to have to wander through a cave and encounter Zubats every 10 steps when you can't even see them or do anything to prevent the encounter (if you don't have a repel or something). Some might miss the surprise of random encounters but this gives the player a lot more control and freedom.

I think that S/S will be able to feel more like a true open-world experience to a much greater extent than before. Of course, these don't cancel out or justify any bad decisions with these games, but I am very pleased to see both of these features.

Especially in light of all of the negativity, I do want to re-emphasize two really great things that are happening with these games.

No more HM slaves (ever)
With us seeing the bike being able to cross water and Corviknight being HM Fly, it's safe to assume that just like in SM, there will be no need for HM slaves. This has been one of the most requested features in the franchise and there's no way that after two generations of not needing HM slaves (7 and 8), they'll create future games in which they're needed. Therefore, players will probably never need HM slaves again in any future Pokemon game, which is fantastic.

Wild Pokemon visibly moving around on the screen
I know that this is a deviation from how Pokemon has historically been, but to me this is a much better system. It's way more realistic (obviously Pokemon is just a game but this is how things would be if you were to roam around) and removes a lot of the annoyance from the games. In retrospect, it seems so silly to have to wander through a cave and encounter Zubats every 10 steps when you can't even see them or do anything to prevent the encounter (if you don't have a repel or something). Some might miss the surprise of random encounters but this gives the player a lot more control and freedom.

I think that S/S will be able to feel more like a true open-world experience to a much greater extent than before. Of course, these don't cancel out or justify any bad decisions with these games, but I am very pleased to see both of these features.
To that you could say 1) there weren't HM slaves last generation either (also kind of ironic that for a lot of people, the excitement of being able to use a full team of 6 to beat the story mode would be more than canceled out by not being able to have one of their favorites in the game at all) and 2) this is only taking place in one area in the game that doesn't play into the plot much and is mostly there to justify having the Dynamax raid battles aka getting people to pay for the online service.

Last edited:
Also, can anyone actually explain to me why Home is even a thing?
Bank exists and was supposed to carry this franchise into the future. Why not just update or expand that?
It seems that "Pokemon Home" would be more aptly called "Pokemon In Exile" or "Pokemon Refugee Camp".
That would make its purpose more clear but they're probably not the most appealing marketing phrases. ;)

Money in a "bank" has a wallet to go to whenever it is withdrawn.
Some Pokemon species in "Pokemon Home" may, ironically, NOT have a home in the main line games that are current.

Anyway, on the theme of positivity, I can say that the games are a little prettier and the more open exploration afforded by Wild Area seems nice.
However, the fact that this is coming at the cost of content makes the graphical upgrade feel less welcome that it otherwise would be.

Last edited:
I don't have any pokemon in mind right now, but I swear Game Freak if you don't give Ice types a recap with more neutral resistances I will be mad. They just assumed the intent to bring ballance to the games.

It's not a big deal, just remove rock weakness and bring water and flying or even dragon resistances.
Oh, and trade the unreliable "frozen solid" status to something like "shivering cold", being similar to burn but S.Attack oriented.
Add Def. boost in hail and we are square.
I don't mind the existence of a type that leans massively towards offence. I don't even thematically mind Ice being that type. I do mind how half-baked it is in execution. Personally, I would go for making Ice moves with better strength and lower distribution outside of the type (an overheat or close combat equivalent, for example) over increasing the defences. I do agree in changing freeze (if only to allow for a zap cannon equivalent) and buffing Hail, though.

No more HM slaves (ever)
I like the multi-purpose bike a lot better than I did the rent-a-pokemon rides in Alola (goodbye forever, Tauros breeding. You won't be missed), although of course the dream would still be to use the pokemon in your party to interact with the terrain without having to dedicate a moveslot to a shitty HM. I do hope, however, that the safety gear is customizable this time around. I wonder if it's there to like, teach little kids to wear helmets or something. In gen 7 I hated it so much I would deliberately get off the pokeride 'mon before fighting trainers in the overworld — the oufit looked so ugly!

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I had some thoughts about ways they could make Pokemon Home actually good.

Imagine if you will that it's not a bank, but it can be used to do Pokemon Contests, Minigames like in the original Pokemon Stadium, and actually have other modes? This would significantly reduce fan gripes about SwSh.

Ultimately though, as much as people hate not having the Dex or the excuses GF has for it, consider it a good reboot of the standard metagame. I watch False Swipe Gaming's episodes every Sunday and when he covers VGC it's been the same Weather-centric format plus whatever mons surround it for generations any time restricted Pokemon are unleashed.

Let's be honest, even with the full dex, without Megas or Z-Crystals wouldn't people complain anyway? At some point a decision has to be made to break away from power creep after power creep after power creep. At some point creating every single game with some kind of location, and scattering around 100s of mon-specific items just becomes a tedious chore that looks more like a maintenance project than a new game.

So I'll agree the Switch certainly has the power to support a National Dex. Suggestions to the contrary are just a fig leaf. But GF wants to create a new experience and this is a legitimate way to bring it about. To compensate, I really do think they should make Pokemon Home much, much more than just a holding tank. If they are smart they will...

Oh wait, it's Gamefreak...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Tonight/Tomorrow finishing the rest of the comments, but for now how about we get away from the Dex problems and talk about one things I look forward to in eahc Pokemon game: the music! Though all we have are recreations, we have the battle themes for Wild Pokemon, Trainers, and Gym Leaders:

Just In General: While it could be the synths that the recreators are using, I also got from the trailers that Galar sound is going for more techno (and maybe Euro-pop? Not sure about this as I haven't really heard much Euro-pop, anyone who has can chime in on this?). Kind of disappointed with that TBH, hoping we would also get more classical and British rock music (and stray GF's reliance on synth music and use real instruments). Of course so far we've really only heard the battle themes, cities and routes may have more sombering themes. EDIT: Realized they'd probably have the Wild Area music and found a clip of that and sure enough it's what I more wanted so we're hopefully in for a nice mix of music.

Wild Pokemon Recreation by Bliitzit
Is that the Johto Trainer Battle theme at the beginning? Either that's coincidence (though hard to see how as that should be a well known tune) or a very odd reference. Well outside of that it's original and has a sort of upbeat & triumphed feel. Whether you're just beating it senseless or forcing it into a 8cm ball to do you bidding, with this theme you'll know it'll be accomplished!

Trainer Battle Recreation by Artho
Surprised Bliitzit (or Pokeli for that matter) didn't have a Trainer Battle recreation... ANYWAY, assuming this is an accurate recreation, what I find the most interesting if the very beginning. An interesting "start of battle tune", and it doesn't really amp much up after that. Sounds like it's more focused on keeping the flow then rocking out, which would be good for longer battles though shorter battles would miss something to get you pumped up.

Gym Leader Recreation by Bliitzit
To start off, I think my favorite part is 0:18-0:30 as in my head I sort of get the image if flashing spotlights as the Gym Leader and challenger comes out or send out their Pokemon. You know, that crowded and livestreaming stadium feel they're trying to create. After that it then sort of have a droning/hypnotizing tune which it doesn't really get out of, even when you think it's about to at 1:25-1:34. You're expecting a drop (think to the Team Magma/Aqua Boss theme in ORAS when the trumpets start playing), but no, it goes back to the droning music. Considering a major gimmick of the battles is Dynamaxing, I was kind of expecting something more exciting, but that just doesn't seem to be Galar's jam.

Wild Area (Edited To Remove Voices) by Beach City DJ
This is exactly a theme I would imagine for a vast wilderness area like the Wild Area to have. Somber, grand, graceful, it sounds like you're in a location where there's a lot to explore with different aspects to them. They also have a small riff of bagpipes to get that UK countryside feeling. :)

Imagine if you will that it's not a bank, but it can be used to do Pokemon Contests, Minigames like in the original Pokemon Stadium, and actually have other modes? This would significantly reduce fan gripes about SwSh.
Imo PK Home is going to be a mix of minigames (like the bad flash games you could play in Gen 6 to get items to transfer to your main game), something similar to Poke Pelego from Gen 7 with time based missions, and Pokemon Refresh/Amie. I doubt you'll be able to use them for anything, you know, fun.

I like the multi-purpose bike a lot better than I did the rent-a-pokemon rides in Alola (goodbye forever, Tauros breeding. You won't be missed), although of course the dream would still be to use the pokemon in your party to interact with the terrain without having to dedicate a moveslot to a shitty HM. I do hope, however, that the safety gear is customizable this time around. I wonder if it's there to like, teach little kids to wear helmets or something. In gen 7 I hated it so much I would deliberately get off the pokeride 'mon before fighting trainers in the overworld — the oufit looked so ugly!
Has there been any footage to show some variation of the Dowsing Machine built in to the bike?

Keep mobile games and all the bullshit related to them as far away as possible, please. That's how I feel about that idea.

Nintendo and Game Freak might not have sold the soul of their games to the microtransaction and gashapon devil yet,
but between small pieces of content locked behind amiibos, Mew locked behind a $50 meme controller and the whole Bank + Home fiasco,
we are awfully close.

Also, can anyone actually explain to me why Home is even a thing?
Bank exists and was supposed to carry this franchise into the future. Why not just update or expand that?
I hate to rebut, but Pokemon GO isn't as reviled as it people makes it. It is consistently in top grossing without the gashapon devils
(well, maybe unless you buy Incubators to quickly hatch things, or are hard perfectionists who buys a lot of Raid Pass and raid like you're breathing to get absolute perfects or shinies. Not to mention getting the normally paid PokeCoins are possible through gyms, although might be difficult in too much/too little gym activity areas; I never spend any money in GO and stashed enough coins and am enough of veteran).
But the game's gasha evilness is certainly much less compared to actual mobages running on it (unless you count perfects or shinies; people loves to brag too much).

It is them doing the Mew paywall and the whole subscription things that start to make me worry.

Either way, I similarly think with HOME already compatible, it's pointless to have GO connectivity to SwSh too. What I wonder now is how it handles GO's mon to handheld's data structure. But looks like it's more favourable to get it to LGPE first, since you can control what Nature it can have instead of relying on HOME bastardising its nature (I'd be mad if I get Adamant Latias/Cresselia... and they can't come to LGPE to select nature ugh).
Although it'd be even greater if we can have said connectivity too though, as (assuming they're in Galar), I can control their nature there too with a Synchroniser, and even better, with Poke balls I want (... hopefully, as even if they do have connectivity, they can also bastardise them by assigning the mon's stat already outside of our interferences, although little less likely).

Last edited:

None of those changes makes sense. Rocks can break/crush ice, so that makes sense. Plus ice slowly melts in water. So 0 for 2 there. And ice resisting dragon makes about as much sense as water being weak to fire.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Tonight/Tomorrow finishing the rest of the comments, but for now how about we get away from the Dex problems and talk about one things I look forward to in eahc Pokemon game: the music! Though all we have are recreations, we have the battle themes for Wild Pokemon, Trainers, and Gym Leaders:

Just In General: While it could be the synths that the recreators are using, I also got from the trailers that Galar sound is going for more techno (and maybe Euro-pop? Not sure about this as I haven't really heard much Euro-pop, anyone who has can chime in on this?). Kind of disappointed with that TBH, hoping we would also get more classical and British rock music (and stray GF's reliance on synth music and use real instruments). Of course so far we've really only heard the battle themes, cities and routes may have more sombering themes. EDIT: Realized they'd probably have the Wild Area music and found a clip of that and sure enough it's what I more wanted so we're hopefully in for a nice mix of music.

Is that the Johto Trainer Battle theme at the beginning? Either that's coincidence (though hard to see how as that should be a well known tune) or a very odd reference. Well outside of that it's original and has a sort of upbeat & triumphed feel. Whether you're just beating it senseless or forcing it into a 8cm ball to do you bidding, with this theme you'll know it'll be accomplished!

Surprised Bliitzit (or Pokeli for that matter) didn't have a Trainer Battle recreation... ANYWAY, assuming this is an accurate recreation, what I find the most interesting if the very beginning. An interesting "start of battle tune", and it doesn't really amp much up after that. Sounds like it's more focused on keeping the flow then rocking out, which would be good for longer battles though shorter battles would miss something to get you pumped up.

To start off, I think my favorite part is 0:18-0:30 as in my head I sort of get the image if flashing spotlights as the Gym Leader and challenger comes out or send out their Pokemon. You know, that crowded and livestreaming stadium feel they're trying to create. After that it then sort of have a droning/hypnotizing tune which it doesn't really get out of, even when you think it's about to at 1:25-1:34. You're expecting a drop (think to the Team Magma/Aqua Boss theme in ORAS when the trumpets start playing), but no, it goes back to the droning music. Considering a major gimmick of the battles is Dynamaxing, I was kind of expecting something more exciting, but that just doesn't seem to be Galar's jam.

This is exactly a theme I would imagine for a vast wilderness area like the Wild Area to have. Somber, grand, graceful, it sounds like you're in a location where there's a lot to explore with different aspects to them. They also have a small riff of bagpipes to get that UK countryside feeling. :)
That is Johto's theme at the beginning. As for why it is here, though...
That Trainer Battle feels a bit too calm to my taste, which will be okay for early Trainers, but when you battle Ace Trainers and their crippling depression, you'd want a bit more hype to go alongside the battle itself.
That Gym Leader theme is pretty good, and I agree the 0:18-0:30 part is fantastic... but DAMN that lack of drop is frustrating. IT builds up so nicely, but doesn't crash down. What a scam!
Wild Area is okay, though I'd wait for a higher quality track before giving out a definitive judgement.

Hopefully we'll have music centered around more traditional instruments on this game. Bagpipes are rarely integrated into games, but this one's a golden opportunity. Maybe a bit of acoustic guitar as well?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I do hope, however, that the safety gear is customizable this time around. I wonder if it's there to like, teach little kids to wear helmets or something. In gen 7 I hated it so much I would deliberately get off the pokeride 'mon before fighting trainers in the overworld — the oufit looked so ugly!
I presume that the safety gear is there to make it easier on the animators. All the clothes and accessories you can put on your player character has to be integrated into the walking and running animations somehow, so that they look right when the character is moving. Doing the same for all kinds of Ride Pokémon motions, such as the mad dash of Tauros and Sharpedo, the bouncy walk of Stoutland or Lapras's calm glide, is a lot of work. By forcing the player to always wear one outfit when riding Pokémon, the animators don't have to care about the custom system. They just make one model for each ride Pokémon carrying the same trainer model (or rather, one for each gender), then they only have to add in a couple of dynamic textures for the player's skin and hair colours. No need to make the model compatible with every hat, bag, hairstyle or pair of glasses. Just make one model "Machamp carrying male character" and "Machamp carrying female character" and ensure that the character will always wear the same stuff every time Machamp is summoned.

From the looks of things, it seems like SwSh will do the same. Animating every piece of clothing to look right while biking is a lot of work (cough, cough, comment about Game Freak) but making one single model (for each gender) named "Player_on_bike_wearing_these_specific_clothes.model" is less work-intensive.

Ultimately though, as much as people hate not having the Dex or the excuses GF has for it, consider it a good reboot of the standard metagame. I watch False Swipe Gaming's episodes every Sunday and when he covers VGC it's been the same Weather-centric format plus whatever mons surround it for generations any time restricted Pokemon are unleashed.
This was my thought too, and a big reason why I'm not entirely negative about Dexit. Even if GF could theoretically ban mons in VGC, they know a lot of people play metagames where the default is "everything in the game is allowed", and they probably feel that surgical bans would seem arbitrary in a VGC format whose whole thing is "almost everything allowed". I'll be glad to see an unrestricted VGC format that isn't dominated by the weather trio or Xerneas/Yveltal.

I wonder how the restricted mons allowed metagame will even play out in this generation, though, given that there'll probably not be very many choices. Maybe it'll be 1 restricted Pokemon allowed instead of 2?

The Gym Battle teme is straight up the best of the entire franchise. Game Freak always make great music, it's like SEGA and modern Sonic Games, some of them -most of them in recent times- sucks, but their music is always top.

Pokémon needed something like this

And that's what it has got.

Now, it just needs to recover the themes with a powerfull, epic tone. Not intimidating, like E4 in SuMo, but epic and catchy.

And it'll get all alright, talking about music.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well at least the Vanillite line is safe. I personally like that line, but I guess for some people, this'll cast serious questions on judgement, priorities, priorities. Do we have a list of Pokemon that's considered "safe" yet?
Serebii has been keeping track: https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/galarpokedex.shtml

Also on the Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee thread (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-lets-go-pikachu-and-eevee.3634951/page-53) some discussion has been brought up similar to this where I and others agreed the Pokemon in those games are probably in with SwSh being built on top of those game's framework (and by extension any cross gen evos and prevos). We'd also theorize a possible way they could go about including the rest of the Pokemon.

Ditto MIGHT be safe
Actually, thinking about it, unless they change how breeding works they'd have to include Ditto if only because that's the only way to breed male-exclusive Pokemon (which we know they have: Rufflet line and Sawk are confirmed). Shouldn't be too hard to fit in somewhere, its' a shapeshifter afterall, it's meant to be super adaptable. Maybe they can continue that subplot started in USUM where Ditto are starting to impersonate people, that would be a horrifying hilarious phenomenon to start happening in the generally happy-go-lucky Pokemon world.

That said, I'd also rather they just polish the game and not rush themselves each year before they crash down like other franchises people have mentioned here. If they do that because they listened to Poketubers demanding yearly release, then they just made a dangerous decision of letting large portion of fanbases erupt in favour of them.
Actually I think they're doing yearly releases now because they just go used to it after having to do a few games in a row like that:

* It started with SM abruptly interrupting Gen VI's lifetime as GF decided for the 20th Anniversary to have a new gen instead of the long expected Z.
* USUM was released because Nintendo was probably pressuring GF to come over to the Switch so whatever ideas they still wanted to do with Gen VII had to be rushed.
* LGPE was meant to be the starting framework and appease daddy Nintendo while they got the next gen started.
* And now we have SwSh in order to have the core series officially transferred over.

I was originally going to include XY and ORAS as part of this but then I noticed there was actually 2 years between ORAS and SM. And heck, if you want to consider Let's Go a parallel series not part of the core series, that also does technically mean there was 2 years between USUM and SwSh. If I recall Let's Go wasn't even part of the VGC, they were still using USUM.

Of course, if they weren't forced to rush, I wonder if they would have taken a bit longer. The games after XY would have been Z and then they'd spent a few years developing the next gen. USUM may have fully been realized being an alternate re-telling but having drastically more differences (would have loved to see the scenario of Lille being part of Skull and Gladion the one who stayed behind to endure Lusamine's insanity, maybe make Hau an urban kid because he went with his dad to the mainland instead of staying with him mom and grandfather in Alola, actually weave the Ultra Recon Squad into the story better & make their homeworld explorable...).

Consider that the line (iirc) was made by the current art director, so....
Ooh, that's another idea of possibly safe Pokemon! That would meant (of Pokemon confirmed made by him): Vanillite family (check!), Golett family (check!), Vullaby family, Phantump family, Buzzwole, Guzzlord, & Poipole family; Bruxish maybe also since he did help with it.

Probably not any of the Ultra Beasts (though Poipole may be able to slip past), but there's room for Vullaby family and Phantump family (Bruxish is iffy as it was designed after a tropical fish, a new fish for Basculin family would make more sense as this gen's main fish Pokemon).

You know what? They should've kept with the sprite aesthetic and improved upon that. I bet we wouldn't be having this problem if that was the case.
Maybe Pokemon Home will have a battle sim which uses sprites so at least you can still battle with the Pokemon stuck in there, though doubt it.

Imagine what would've happened if GF had never announced this but went through with it anyway.
Yeah, it could have been MUCH worse, but that still doesn't mean how they actually handled it was good. This should have been another Pokemon Direct, probably after E3, where they went into more details. Like one thing I think they should do is, on the main site, begin a list of Pokemon which won't be in the Galar Dex so at least we would be ready. Maybe even have some special VGC battles in USUM where these Pokemon are given some love before moving onto the first games of a generation they won't be in. Maybe even make some merchandise of them, if not plush at least shirts, keyrings, stationary, etc.. with new cool drawings of these Pokemon. Let these Pokemon go out with a bang, not a whimper.

Hopefully, all of the backlash will result to something from this getting reversed. Super Mario Maker 2 got its online co-op with friends back after the backlash that received. If we make our voices loud enough, something similar can happen here.
Fat chance. At MOST the next games (be them DP remakes or Advanced versions) will have all the Pokemon and they may also decided to undo their "no DLC" decision. However I think what they have in place for SwSh is pretty much written in stone. They gone too far to reverse direction now, all they can do is keep going forward and then try to repair things in the aftermath.

- Apparently, Pokémon data is not future-proofed despite what we thought, but they are planning on making them future-proof.
Oh, NOW they're future-proofing Pokemon...

Is there even a "Well, look on the bright side!" in light of this whole thing involving the possibility that your Pokémon from the older games? I'm not seeing one at the moment...
Normally the "look at the bright side" would be that they're able to focus more on the Pokemon which are in the game, updating their stats & movepool, giving them more lively animations in Pokemon Refresh expy, battle animations, and acting like a real animal in the Wild Area. They could also put more time in the additional features to have them more fleshed out.

Problem is, this is GameFreak. The above would be obvious to anyone else, but GF (or at least higher-ups) gets WAY too distracted by their news toys (this time being Dynamax which isn't that all impressive honestly) that anything which isn't new they kind of turn a blind eye towards. And now they're just not including the old toys like Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves, which may I remind you were originally meant to add some freshness into the games and mix things up. Guess they forgot that little detail...

Just had another thought as I tried to go to sleep: People who have ribbon project Pokemon are potentially going to be royally screwed. If a Pokemon who you've brought up through the generations is not going to be in the Gen 8 dex, you can't transfer them in and thus they'll be forever incomplete and you've effectively wasted your time :/.
Well maybe they won't have any Ribbons. Gen V barely had Ribbons a normal Pokemon to obtain, only ones being those who went to the Championships. Or they could have Pokemon Home give out Ribbons, maybe from doing the activities there that sends items/points/Pokemon to SwSh.

Apperently there's a dance function in the demo, so is it

A)simply a cute little easter egg or
B)maybe following pokemon are back and you can do a little dance with them

hoping for B, but pirouettes where a thing in S&M so who knows really
But will we be able to praise the sun?

Well, as long as there's no Fortnite dances...

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but it seems that terrain now affects flying types as well
Now that's major. Let's see:

* Psychic Terrain: In addition to all Flyers/Levitaters being protected from Priority, following get a boost to their STAB: Xatu, Lugia, Woobat family, Sigilyph, Lunatone, Solrock, Baltoy family, Chimecho, Eon Duo, Bronzor family, Lake Guardians, & Cresselia.
* Electric Terrain: In addition to all Flyers/Levitaters being immune to Sleep, following get a boost to their STAB: Zapdos, Rotom, Emolga, Thundurus, Tynamo family, & Vikavolt.
* Grassy Terrian: In addition to all Flyers/Levitaters healing after each turn, following get a boost to their STAB: Hoppip family, Tropius, Shaymin Sky Forme, Carnivine, & Rotom Mow.
* Misty Terrain: In addition to all Flyers/Levitaters being unaffected by status ailmetns, since Misty Terrain halves Dragon-type attacks that means the following Pokemon at least no longer "weak" to Dragon-type moves: Noibat family, Dragonite, Altaria, Salamence, Rayquaza, Vibrava & Flygon, Eon Duo, Giratina, & Hydreigon.

Nothing too outstanding, honestly the primary effect will probably be the most notable changes, but for Psychic, Electric, & Grassy the extra Power would be appreciated all the same and those Types no longer "weak" to Dragon could maybe find use for that (of course all of them are Dragon-types so it's both a blessing and a curse).

Impidimp is likely going to evolve into some form of Vampiric like demon I guess?
Could also evolve into a gargoyle or grotesque (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grotesque_(architecture)), being this is taking place in the UK. I know technically Druddigon is based on one but it's based on ones modeled after dragons, Impidimp could be based on the ones modeled after demons.

As it turns out, they used a separate model for Dynamax rather than upscaling it and then add some effects.
:facepalm:

Really, Game Freak? Really? Those swirly clouds better be damn important.
No, they're just counters to how many turns it'll be before Dynamax ends. What this more tells me if that GF is so bad at programming that it's easier for them to waste time making 3 more additional models for every Pokemon then having the models increase to a certain limit (each Pokemon would need a different calculation though you could probably set a ceiling limit for the game to make the calculations by itself) and having the counter clouds being their own models.

I just realized an interesting consequence of Max Guard seemingly replacing all status moves: Dynamaxed Pokemon won't be able to actively heal themselves. They can still use passive or indirect means like Leftovers or Heal Pulse, but moves like Recover or Roost will become inaccessible. This is a huge blow to most defense-oriented Pokemon, as despite the HP boost, they're still making themselves open to a 3-turn onslaught.

Also, my guess for what Max Guard does is that it protects both you and your ally. Not sure if it will fail if used consecutively.
Yeah, the issue with Dynamaxing it that it's clearly for offense, you know, for the spectacle which is all GF cares about. Only reason a defensive Pokemon has for Dyanamxing is for those secondary effects (notably the Weather & Terrain, maybe the Def & SpD boosting ones) as Rarycaris said.

Infact I question if Max Guard would provide protection. You only have 3 turns as it and it's kind of a waste if one of them the opponent just puts up an invincible shield. No, I think maybe Max Guard is maybe meant to be a sort of "take some damage to power-up" move. You'll block some of the opponent's damage, but in return the Pokemon's next attack will maybe be 2.25x powerful, and if they use two in a row it'll be 3.5x more powerful. You can either attack normally and try to knock out the opponent in the 3 turns allotted, or power-up and hope a delayed super attack would do all the damage you'll need to knock out the opponent though risk getting wailed on while doing so. Risk vs. reward.

And in addition to leftovers that could give Status moves like Leech Seed, Ingrain, & Aqua Ring some utility in Dynamax battles.

Has anyone heard anything from Mawile regarding how it feels about Mega Evolution's exclusion from these games? I don't imagine it went over too well..
Saw it at the Poke Pelago on Isle Evelup gunning down drinks. Infact there was a who swarm of Pokemon there downing their woes: Pinsir, Houndoom, Aggron, Medicham, Manectric, Banette, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Sableye, Sharpedo, Camerupt, Glalie, Lopunny, and Gallade.

Hey there, as I said before, I was checking the list of Pokémon that haven't been printed since Ultra Prism. My reasoning behind this was that, since they want to make people "forget" about some Pokémon, the best way to do it would be to avoid having these Pokémon having a chance of winning the World Title.
Interesting theory, but I doubt it. For one thing, Pokemon Company handles the card game while GF handles the games, and GF probably doesn't care what goes on with the card game.

FUN FACT: Due to the Kadabra ban, even though Abra and Alakazam appear in Mysterious Treasures it doesn't. Instead Abra has a move that has it evolve instantly to Alakazam, lol.

What can we safely assume is excluded?

(...)

Deerling and Sawsbuck. Lots of models, little competitive value, and they exist to show off a seasonal mechanic that has never reappeared since.

(...)

Tbh the only legendaries other than gen 1/2 that I can see making it in are the Lati twins, just because they're so popular.
Not so sure about this one. With the Wild Area having the major weather changes, I think they could at the very least use if to neat visuals. Would love to see like a small herd of the Winter Sawsbuck migrating together or standing majestically during the blizzard weather that covers everything in snow.

As for Legendaries they could include, hmm... well the Kanto ones are probably in (Mewtwo, Winged Mirages, Mew). Could throw in the Golem Trio and Regigigas, you know you want to see a Dynamaxed Regigigas. Eon Duo is a popular choice... maybe they could also bring back soaring... Lake Guardians could be brought back and they make a nod toward the story of the Lady of the Lake. Speaking of Gen IV mons, I don't think Cresselia or Heatran would have a problem appearing and they're fairly popular. Swords of Justice has potential.

For additional Mythicals maybe Darkrai (if they have Cresselia) and Keldeo (if they have the Swords of Justice). Diancie and Magearna I feel could have a strong chance. Volcanion would also fit in. I'd also throw in Zeraora just cause I don't think they did much with it (though neither did Marshadow for that matter).

Hidden Power seems like an obvious choice for the chopping block.
Wouldn't chop it, just change it. Just put in an NPC somewhere that let's us select the Type. And you know what, let's go one step further: let also choose the Category AND a choice of a secondary effect where it targets the opposite defensive stat. There cannot be balance without some chaos...

You know, since this is essentially turning into a reboot game, for the Pokémon who benefited from Megas, such as Altaria, Mawile, and Houndoom, why don’t make them regular evolutions? The problem with a lot of the Megas is that they took a mega slot, while there were just better options to use. For example, Mega Houndoom and Altaria were great improvements over their base form, but they were too weak for the mega slot compared to Charizard and Salamence. They are cases in which they would have been better Pokémon as Regular evolutions. I would simply redo the stats, adjust the abilities and movesets, and obviously change the name.
Wouldn't mind seeing this, maybe altering their designs a little too so some aren't so X-TREME!

Ones I'd like to see this done for Houndoom (Houndevil), Mawile (Mawilder), Medicham (Mediswami), Manectric (Canictric), Banette (Mannequette), Absol (Angesol), Sableye (Escutcheye), Sharpedo (Sharmersible), Camerupt (Cameplosive), Altaria (Etherietta), Glalie (Blizzaw), Lopunny (Lobberunny), and Audino (Evocaluate).

Now, instead of putting work into support the gimmicks they introduced to sell more toys, it's cheaper just to cut them out and bring in another stupid gimmick to, say it with me, s e l l m o r e t o y s.
This has nothing to do with toys, because Dynamaxing doesn't really lend itself into toys that well.

No, this is just GF higher-ups discovering something they think is cool and want to play with it. A sort of "toy" in it's own way, but it's a toy for the creators.

"Look, we can enlarge the Pokemon's size and not see a decrease in model quality!"
"That's so cool! We should make it so you can do that with some Pokemon!"
"Yeah... or we can do it for ALL Pokemon! KAIJU BATTLES! THAT'S OUR NEW GIMMICK!"

Something confusing to me is looking at this from the perspective of LGPE. We were told over and over that those games were supposed to be a good main game entry point for a lot of new players; and yet, when the new main game rolls around... it doesn't have Mega Evolutions, it certainly doesn't look like every Kanto Pokémon will be in the game; and I will be surprised if there are any Alolan Forms. This kind of seems to make the LGPE-as-an-entry-point angle backfire a little.
There was no plan. Or rather, they thought they had a plan BUT didn't actually plan for problems/changes. They'll drop something the instant a major difficulty presents itself or they discover something new and want to do something with it.

"We were going to have Mega Pokemon, but then we found we could upscale our models with no degradation of quality so made Dynamaxing!"
"Uh-oh, I think hitting some limitation and deadline problems!"
"Oh, er, how about we just don't include any Pokemon not in the Galar dex. While we're at it, get rid of Mega Evolution and Z-Moves since we're not going to use them either"

Guys omg i finally found one of the high quality animations theyve been working on, and i promise its not the scorbunny double kick

https://streamable.com/frva6

Look at these smooth wingull flapping animations, our pokemon died so we can get this masterpiece, just as smooth as a T-posing hovering paper plane. (Even oras wingulls had wings flapping)

How about this one?

https://m.imgur.com/cc8CppW

The animations almost look as natural as a ps1 game thats still figuring out how humans actually move smoothly. So great!

Seriously though. Theyve given us zero reasons to believe any good animations is coming cause we have seen only recycled ones and zero good new ones so far.
Sweet Arcues, why are the human characters still moving like they're on tank controls!? It looked awkward in Sun & Moon but I thought it was only because it was the first game in that art style, they had not improved AT ALL!

Almost caught up, just one more push!

Wouldn't chop it, just change it. Just put in an NPC somewhere that let's us select the Type. And you know what, let's go one step further: let also choose the Category AND a choice of a secondary effect where it targets the opposite defensive stat. There cannot be balance without some chaos..
Another possibility might be to replace it with 17 entirely new moves -- special, 60BP, can be taught to almost everything via tutor. That means Transform can copy it more intuitively (Hidden Power type not being copied properly is a pain for Imposter, which your suggestion doesn't help with because Ditto can't learn the move), opponents know what they're being hit by, and they can be used to give more Dynamax utility options.

As for Legendaries they could include, hmm... well the Kanto ones are probably in (Mewtwo, Winged Mirages, Mew). Could throw in the Golem Trio and Regigigas, you know you want to see a Dynamaxed Regigigas. Eon Duo is a popular choice... maybe they could also bring back soaring... Lake Guardians could be brought back and they make a nod toward the story of the Lady of the Lake. Speaking of Gen IV mons, I don't think Cresselia or Heatran would have a problem appearing and they're fairly popular. Swords of Justice has potential.

For additional Mythicals maybe Darkrai (if they have Cresselia) and Keldeo (if they have the Swords of Justice). Diancie and Magearna I feel could have a strong chance. Volcanion would also fit in. I'd also throw in Zeraora just cause I don't think they did much with it (though neither did Marshadow for that matter).
Agree that the Kanto ones are probably in along with the Kanto dex in general. I doubt we'll get soaring, but I'd like to see the Eon duo return.

I'll be very surprised if we get any mythicals other than Mew, Melmetal, maybe Celebi (because of its ongoing availability from Pokemon Go/Crystal and also because it's iconic) and whatever is introduced in gen 8. The bloat of event mons and overworld objects relating to them is one of the big obstacles to completing the National Dex and seems like something they'd want to stop. It would also be weird to put them in the Galar dex when you can't catch them in Galar at all on release, and it's also weird to commit in advance to a specific list of Mythicals to release. I think they'll cut every Mythical that's not available at release, and rely on giving out events which are special for reasons other than being DLC-exclusive species.

Of course, they could pull an ORAS and de-Mythical some of them for real. Having Keldeo and Darkrai (maybe even Hoopa) as just catchable ingame mons would be sweet, especially given how they've built up a lot of story around Darkrai only to have most players never actually see it. I can also imagine we'll get Arceus in the Sinnoh remakes -- last time The Pokemon Company did a poll of the most popular Pokemon in Japan, it was second place. (I just checked and the next most popular mythicals are Mew in third, Meloetta in ninth and Darkrai in 14th. This was pre-gen 7.)

* Misty Terrain: In addition to all Flyers/Levitaters being unaffected by status ailmetns, since Misty Terrain halves Dragon-type attacks that means the following Pokemon at least no longer "weak" to Dragon-type moves: Noibat family, Dragonite, Altaria, Salamence, Rayquaza, Vibrava & Flygon, Eon Duo, Giratina, & Hydreigon.
Pedantic correction: Giratina-Origin :p

With Misty Terrain being a lot more viable to set because anything with a Fairy move can do it and fliers also benefit from the protection, Dragon types are gonna need a serious buff to stay relevant -- these changes make it pretty much indisputably the worst offensive typing in the game (even worse than Normal). I feel like they'll probably give Dragon one of the better effects from Dynamax, such as raising the user's special attack, which would make Draco Meteor a very potent move: Dynamax to turn it into a very strong Max Drake (or whatever it's called), use that to build up special attack, then use that buffed special attack to spam Draco Meteor from the same moveslot once Dynamax wears off.

Have we had confirmation that Misty Terrain's effect is unchanged?

Wait... I just realised something. This is not really about SwSh and more about HOME, but....

In Pokemon GO, players can have up to 15 characters in their names. GO to HOME compatibility was announced. Doesn't this mean they may be increasing the character limit to accomodate the OT of GO 'mons now? We have been having 12 alphanumerics (6 kana if Asian language) names.
Admittedly, they could as well make HOME version of GO Park and make them have your SwSh OT when captured....

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Ehh, still buying SS. Dynamax may be bland, and I may feel "ehhh..." About wild areas, but that's only two things to complain about, not an onslaught of things. Besides, I see a lot of potential for this new game! My opinions are my opinions that I make. If you don't want it, fine with me (yes I did mental training) but that's not stopping me from getting it myself.

Ehh, still buying SS. Dynamax may be bland, and I may feel "ehhh..." About wild areas, but that's only two things to complain about, not an onslaught of things. Besides, I see a lot of potential for this new game! My opinions are my opinions that I make. If you don't want it, fine with me (yes I did mental training) but that's not stopping me from getting it myself.
I feel I might buy it eventually, but after it goes on sale. At the very least it's not a priority; there's a lot of other things that interest me a lot more right now -- I still haven't gotten BotW or Odyssey; Mario Maker 2 still looks fantastic and it's even fixing one of its major problems; Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2 we don't know a lot about but are still very exciting prospects and unlike this game have been given a lot of time to work on...

I likely won't get it for a while, but it is still Pokémon and as such will probably be alright.

Pokemon Sword and Shield has become the most disliked game of E3 (going off of trailers).

My main takeaway here is "wtf did Battletoads do"

None of those changes makes sense. Rocks can break/crush ice, so that makes sense. Plus ice slowly melts in water. So 0 for 2 there. And ice resisting dragon makes about as much sense as water being weak to fire.
Uhhh... beause of ice's molecular structure it can be broken/crushed by absolutelly anything. Following that logic, Ice type should be weak to any physical attack. And it's not the water that melts the ice, as cold water freezes into ice. That's the TEMPERATURE of the surroundings.

I must remember type matchups that completely ignores logic, as fighting vs. bug or bug vs. poison for example (or maybe poison vs. any living thing without immunity). The game ballance must be made with statistics instead of a failed representation of elements, and frankly i don't care about the lack of logic if Ice and Fire became weak to each other as long as the type effectiveness get fair adjustments.

Plus, since GF threw that excuse of game ballancing to get rid of national dex, I expect no less than an authentic change in that mechanic. I don't deal that issue as "wishlisting" anymore.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)