Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Thanks god. I might not be particurarly hyped about the games, but i feared they were going to drop Regional Forms. And, hey: a old pokemon that gets an evolution.

It is a Regional Form that gets an evolution, but it counts. Pretty nice.
Something strange from that page: "They’ll receive rewards like Exp. Points or base points, and how much they get will depend on factors like how long they work and their types! "

What the Elk are base points? Are secret bases returning? Are base points the new Evs or an addition to them or the new Ivs? (Or an addition to them?)

Thanks god. I might not be particurarly hyped about the games, but i feared they were going to drop Regional Forms. And, hey: a old pokemon that gets an evolution.

It is a Regional Form that gets an evolution, but it counts. Pretty nice.

Something strange from that page: "They’ll receive rewards like Exp. Points or base points, and how much they get will depend on factors like how long they work and their types! "

What the Elk are base points? Are secret bases returning? Are base points the new Evs or an addition to them or the new Ivs? (Or an addition to them?)
Official materials have always referred to EVs as "base stats".

Somehow I have a feeling that Obstangoon doesn't have the same stat distribution as Linoone. Judging by it build and the way it moves Obstangoon seems to be bulkier and slower than its pre evolution. The new abilities are not fit for belly drum sets either, that role remains for Linoone.

Oh my, I did not expect a galar form for certain Pkm. Wonder what's the reason for Weezing's secondary type. Linoone looks GREAT. Even more surprising is its evolution? Huh, if that's really the case, then the rumour about Farfetch's evolution might be even more possible. I also wonder if there's an evolution for normal Linoone.

Anyway, it's nice to see that you could play Linoone and Obstagoon in different ways, assuming Galarian Linoone has access to Belly Drum and Extreme Speed. I wouldn't be surprised if it knows Sucker Punch, which is nice against Ghost Pkm. Besides, Dark/Normal is a great offensive type as it's nearly unresisted, I think.

So, Galarian Linoone could be used as a revenge killer while Obstagoon could be used as a wallbreaker that could benefit from gaining from a higher speed stat. I mean Linoone has already a decent 100 base speed, it wouldn't be farfetched to think Obstagoon could gain, at least, + 10 speed.

Not sure about Morpeko. At least, it looks cute in its dark form and has an interesting ability. Protect might be mandatory on it. Looks like GF really wants to go full on different forms in different ways. First Aegislash and the megas, then the regional forms, and now we have Morpeko.

As for Team Yell, lol, that's refreshing. Hope GF will give them more depth because otherwise they would be only a joke, which I would find a little bit sad. Wonder what their idol has in store for us.

All in all, the trailer was pretty cool. I can't wait to see further Galarian forms and their potential evolutions. Maybe, there is some hope for Luvdisc.

Seems to just be EVs.

The PokeJobs reflect a lot PokePelago from gen 7. Probably will offer same results (exp, EV, maybe option to fetch for items)

All in all, the trailer was pretty cool. I can't wait to see further Galarian forms and their potential evolutions. Maybe, there is some hope for Luvdisc.
The wording in Obstagoon's page

Seem to quite imply that we're getting at very least one more family of regional forms with a extra evolution

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Oh my, I did not expect a galar form for certain Pkm. Wonder what's the reason for Weezing's secondary type.
According to the website, Weezing sucks up air pollution and spews it back out through its chimneys as clean air, a direct inversion of its Kanto counterpart. Either way it's our first Poison/Fairy type, so I'm not complaining.

Galar Weezing is weak to steel and psychic, immune to dragon and ground, and resists grass, dark, fairy, fighting, and bug.

If this thing gets a better recovery move than Pain Split and keeps some of its status moves it may genuinely be Toxapex-Lite.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Rotom seems to be literally everywhere in Galar (they even shown they use cameras possessed by Rotoms for TV shows for example), so yes and not.
Seems to just be a Rotom inside of that machine that they use to look for pokejobs.
This is a nice shoutout to the way britain has the number 1 concentration of CCTV in pretty much anywhere.

Galar Weezing is weak to steel and psychic, immune to dragon and ground, and resists grass, dark, fairy, fighting, and bug.

If this thing gets a better recovery move than Pain Split and keeps some of its status moves it may genuinely be Toxapex-Lite.
A Toxapex that can actually hit back for something more than tickling burns. But I guess it depends on whether its stat distribution would be too different from regular Weezing.

A Toxapex that can actually hit back for something more than tickling burns. But I guess it depends on whether its stat distribution would be too different from regular Weezing.
There's the fact we know it has a unrevealed second ability, which most likely is a new ability as well.

Regenerator Weezing

:smogthink:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Kalalokki made some artwork of all the new guys in one place

Actually really like the designs here. Weezing is an odd but brilliant choice with its top hat smoke stacks! Excited to see what else they do with other regional variants. I am really happy this mechanic came back, it gives new life to older Pokemon just like Megas did. This is what we want GF. Not stuff like Gigantomax or Z moves and things.

Galarian Weezing has a lot of potential IMO. The Zigzagoon family on the other hand ain't looking that promising in the grand scheme of things (even though giving them a punk motif is kinda brilliant).

Loos like a reskinned Pokepelago to me, which is a good thing 'cause seeing that feature gone would've been highly hypocritical for GF considering Masuda's mindset.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Obstagoon really intrigues me on so many levels. Not necessarily its design, that's pretty crappy, but its concept.

First of all, it addresses the controversial aspects of cross-generation evolution. The problem was that it relegated previous fan-favourite designs into "stepping stones" or transitional stages on the way to the apex of the evolution line, which some people didn't like. Fans of Magmar suddenly saw it outclassed and overshadowed by a fatter and less elegant design, for instance. Eviolite was an attempt to remedy this, making it so the new final evolution wasn't necessarily superior to the previous one.

But there were still many evolution lines that were in desperate need of some more power at the upper end, where a cross-gen evolution would have been really cool. Mega Evolution was another attempt at this, with varying degrees of success, but the concept still had the flaw of requiring players to choose which Mega to use (and by extension, not use) on their teams. Besides, the Megas were so powerful they had to be made temporary in battle and arriving late in-game, meaning you couldn't exactly go on a journey with your favourite new Mega Evolution, the way you could with, say, Probopass or Steelix.

By adding additional evolutions to regional forms, the developers are elegantly solving both issues with cross-gen evolution. The original fully evolved 'mon still is the apex of its original evolutionary line, yet the line is continued for a secondary version of the evolution family. Galarian Linoone was always meant to be a transition stage, in a way regular Linoone was not. Maybe it even has weaker stats than regular Linoone, to allow Obstagoon to have a higher relative power level without making it broken (unlike some of the earlier cross-gen evolutions, whose BST were just marginally higher than that of the 'mons they evolved from - Scizor famously has the same BST as Scyther). Meanwhile, the player doesn't have to pick and choose just one cross-gen evolution they want to use at a time, they're free to go on adventures with Obstagoon alongside as many other regional evolutions as they desire.

Also, it's good to see some more "known unknowns" be introduced to Sword and Shield's pre-release period. It's hard to get excited for unannounced regular Pokémon, because we know they can be "anything" and thus we can't have expectations. New Pokémon are "unknown unknowns", which we can't conceptualize and therefore not get hyped for. On the contrary, Dynamax is a "known known" - we already know the Pokémon get bigger, and that's all there is to it design-wise. What we saw is what we know we will get. Even Gigantamax, with a new spin being put on existing designs, is a bit of an unknown unknown so far, since we've only seen it applied to Gen VIII Pokémon. But Galarian forms and cross-gen evolutions are familiar to us in concept. It is being applied to Pokémon we already know and love, and we can imagine which directions it might go. We can actually speculate, since we know what it is like, but not which Pokémon will get it.

Starter evolutions are known unknowns too, but it's a discussion that will be exhausted quickly (we know they will evolve and they might receive a secondary type, the pool of which is pretty small). The Internet is full of fanart for evolutions of Scorbunny, Sobble and Grookey, with various secondary types. But it's nothing next to the amount of fanart for evolutions of existing Pokémon, or existing Pokémon being imagined as new types. Now we will get both at the same time. Fun!

Lastly, it is also reassuring to see Game Freak not scrap a previously invented feature, regional forms, but instead keep it and expand on it. It restores some faith in their sense of continuity, instead of them making new features they scrap after one game. Regional forms and exclusive evolutions is something I think we can expect to see also in future generations.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Hey what page is the new trailer on?
Also you Haven't heard me for some time because I had so many alerts that it ticked me off and I unwatched... At the very least though I want to see what page the trailer was on

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
From the website:

I'm looking at the HP stat. We're used to Mega Evolutions always having the same HP as their base forms, and the same is usually true for Alolan Forms as well. However, Raticate has base 55 HP whereas Alolan Raticate has base 75 HP - quite a difference. Actually, all 6 of Alolan Raticate's stats are different from Raticate's, so it's very possible that Galarian Forms can have different stats (even HP) than their regular counterparts. I'm confirming the HP here.

A regular level 35 Weezing with 0 HP EVs and 25, 26, or 27 HP IVs will have 99 HP. This indicates that Galarian Weezing's HP is similar to (and likely to be the same as) regular Weezing's base HP of 65. Assuming the Galarian Weezing in the screenshot has 0 HP EVs, this means Galarian Weezing's HP is between base 62 and base 78 (though again, it's probably base 65).

A regular level 28 Linoone with 0 HP EVs and 27, 28, or 29 HP IVs will have 89 HP. Again, this indicates Galarian Linoone's HP is similar to, and probably the same as, regular Linoone's base HP of 78. Assuming the Galarian Linoone in the screenshot has 0 HP EVs, this means Galarian Linoone's HP is between base 76 and base 92, but it's probably base 78.

So, nothing groundbreaking, but because Alolan Raticate has 20 more base HP than its regular counterpart, I just wanted to confirm the HP of these Galarian Forms. I'll continue making these posts whenever we get new information on any new Pokemon's stats.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)