Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

No, just early 2020

I see the confusion.

旬 is a unit of time period that is 10 days. It's usually used for months which can be roughly divided into 3 periods of 10 days, so there's 初旬 or 上旬 (初 being "early" or "first", 上 being "top" or "upper" so consider a calendar where it reads top to bottom) for first 10 days, 中旬 (中 being "middle") for the middle 10 days, and 下旬 (下 being "bottom" or "lower") for the last 10 days, give or take.

I'm guessing some people saw 初 and thought "oh, early 2020" without realizing that 旬 actually means 10 days in Japan.

旬 is a unit of time period that is 10 days. It's usually used for months which can be roughly divided into 3 periods of 10 days, so there's 初旬 or 上旬 (初 being "early" or "first", 上 being "top" or "upper" so consider a calendar where it reads top to bottom) for first 10 days, 中旬 (中 being "middle") for the middle 10 days, and 下旬 (下 being "bottom" or "lower") for the last 10 days, give or take.

I'm guessing some people saw 初 and thought "oh, early 2020" without realizing that 旬 actually means 10 days in Japan.
So if your translation is correct, that'd mean they'd literally announce the release tomorrow for the day after :smogthink:

So if your translation is correct, that'd mean they'd literally announce the release tomorrow for the day after :smogthink:
It was more a definition rather than a translation, but that is correct, though they did give themselves a bit of a leeway with 予定, which is more or less "scheduled to release, but could be delayed."

I see the confusion.

Super interesting; guessing that's a screenshot from the May 2019 press conference. They definitely just translated that to "Early 2020 Launch" in English with no mention of "that's intended to mean the first 10 days or so".

Edit: Out of pure curiosity I went and looked up the Simplified Chinese translation of the stream as well. They said 计划于2020年年初开始上线 which is "planned to go live in the beginning of 2020", where 年初 means "beginning of the year". There's an interesting argument to be had about the difference between "beginning of 2020" vs "early 2020", I guess.

So we had a 10-day release window all along since last May and I haven't seen it brought up on a single forum/fansite/discussion thread until now. :P

Got any other lost-in-translation hidden info? :toast:

So we had a 10-day release window all along since last May and I haven't seen it brought up on a single forum/fansite/discussion thread until now. :P

To be fair, issues like this from Japanese happen all the time.

Since I've started being a degenerate weeb and look / play games in Japanese, I've learned of similar cases where a single kanji can slightly change the meaning of phrases, but you'd not notice it unless you actually speak Japanese.

Super interesting; guessing that's a screenshot from the May 2019 press conference. They definitely just translated that to "Early 2020 Launch" in English with no mention of "that's intended to mean the first 10 days or so".

Edit: Out of pure curiosity I went and looked up the Simplified Chinese translation of the stream as well. They said 计划于2020年年初开始上线 which is "planned to go live in the beginning of 2020", where 年初 means "beginning of the year". There's an interesting argument to be had about the difference between "beginning of 2020" vs "early 2020", I guess.

Languages change over time, and little details like this gets lost.

It's also entirely possible that they did intend for 2020年初旬 to mean "early 2020" since 旬 is so often used in 上旬, 中旬, and 下旬 that 旬 is taken to just mean "third", i.e. some time between January and April this year, without realizing the implication that it's give or take the first ten days.

Hell, even if they had said "releasing this winter", we would be sitting here arguing which definition of "winter" to use.

I imagined it'd be released at the same rate as Bank and its SM update. A couple months after release; right after the early-purchase event ends. (So in this case, the 15th/16th)

From Serebii :

Pokémon Sword & Shield Expansion pass revealed. Includes many returning Pokémon
Two DLC packs: Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra
New Pokémon: Kubfu a Fighting-type Legendary that evolves into Urshifu with two forms Fighting Water or Fighting Dark.
Available in Isle of Tundra. Calyfex a Psychic/Grass Legendary. A deer pokemon ?
New Galarian Forms: Slowpoke, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres
New Gigantamax: Venusaur, Blastoise, Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon
New clothes
More than 200 Pokémon from the past appear in the DLC. These free updates allow for all previous Pokémon to appear through Trades etc. INCLUDE A LOT OF OLD LEGENDARIES
Galarian Slowpoke will be available today in a free content update. Evolves into Slowpoke in Isle of Armor and Slowking in The Crown Tundra
The Expansion Pass is available to preorder today. Contains special outfits as a bonus for prepurchasing
Around 30€ ?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So... where do we begin with the new information?

Oh, right, that Gigantamax Inteleon is literally the same thing, except crouching on a pillar and wielding a gun. It's hilarious.
Pokemon Gun confirmed!

Gotta say, for as much heat as GF got for Dexit, the patching capability for the expansion seems to have resolved of the issues.

Also looks like new Regis and new forms for the legendary birds.

This was insanity. Too much hype.

30 bucks feels like it is too much.

I'll wait until I checkout the fanart of today's release, because I'll be cursed if I try to do that to early today

200 Mons isn't enough for such a huge price tag.

As a begrudging non-purchaser due to Dexit and poor communication: holy crap this looks insane.

200+mons, regional legends, added legends tied to past lore, new mons, new variants... still a lot of information to clarify, but I'm nuts optimistic this time. This is how a Switch game should have been envisioned. I commend them for this step. Going to do a long assessment later, for the time being let's suffice to say I have some hope back.

If they're adding ~200 Pokemon total, then we get back up to 600ish and most of the dex. If both passes have ~200 a piece then that's essentially the entire national dex back, if not the full national dex.

I like this as an alternative way to make a third version. The whole "start a new save file and make this new version your main one" aspect to third versions always kind of bugged me. Really nice to see these games rounded out into something bigger and better as oppose to immediately heading out to a new version (and they could very easily get away with an entirely new version still).

I will say though... really not feeling these legendaries, lol. Urshifu feels really bland and the deer thing looks like Drifloon with a halloween costume on. Excited for the new regis and birds though, those look SWEET.

So we have RS200.... is current OU SWSH400? :psysly:

A lot of misinformation's being spread about the natdex mons. The new (old) mons that aren't in SwSh currently will still be free for players who don't have the pass. They'll just need to be traded over via Home.
Are you sure? Because they could easily make it so that only the 35 Pokémon that are already present in the game's data can be used without the Expansion Pass.

BTW, I really like that Gigantamax/Alternate Moltres.

Wow, that was a lot. I was just expecting just Pokemon Home stuff, but this'll do! I'm excited to see Volcaraona, Nidoking, and even the Regis coming back :jynx: Come on, Scolipede!

I hope there's even more story to come too! The settings I feel like really seamlessly blend in with the current Galar region. Thanks Gamefreak, this can't come soon enough!

Side note, I hope there's still more brand-new Pokemon that they're hiding from us besides the Legendaries (Kubfu, Urshifu, Calyrex).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)